This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alkaloid

Dallas
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you don't know your PI well enough, don't bother with the letter.

Research heavy schools this is probably somewhat of an issue(although it's not fatal). Schools that aren't as focused on research this is alot less of an issue.

I don't really recommend trying to force yourself to get a PI letter from one you don't know that well and unless he is really supportive of the idea and conveys he can write a very strong one(which doesn't seem that likely in the limited time you've worked with him). Your application is what it is. Not having a PI rec letter isn't the end of the world. Just gotta move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that an adcom like @LizzyM or @gyngyn should weigh in, but frankly, I don't think another letter is such a bad idea. Cornell is very research-heavy, like all Top 20 schools, and a strong letter from a PI might just help.

If you are gunning for the big dawgs like Cornell and other research powerhouses a PI rec letter is something that makes a difference. If the PI can write a strong one and says he can send it.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you guys recommend maybe sending a PI letter (even if mediocre) to these research-heavy schools, but then a different, stronger letter from something like volunteering to other schools? Or is it better to just send the stronger letter to all schools and leave out the PI letter if you don't know if it'll be good?