This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay well, I always wanted to be a doctor. I love to help people, and am very hands on. I always hated research so I never did any. I am naturally pretty smart and can pull good grades, I have a 3.82 Cgpa from Stony Brook University witha 3.76 sciGPA. I honestly didnt study for my MCATs, I really didnt want to take the new one and I will not take it again. I scored a 26 (10-PS, 8-Verbal, 8-BS). I know this score is low for MD, so I dont even want to really apply. I dont mind doing DO or DPM.

Facts about me:
- I worked 5 years as a librarian assistant in the childrens library (working 25-30 hours a week at atime, along with taking a 16 credit load). I had a lot of supervision duties
- I have my own tutoring business for 4 years now, where I tutor children from underpriveleged backgrounds (both for volunteering and low hourly rates). I have had over 15 students from K-College
- I have volunteered in the hospital ever since I was a high school freshman, although i did less hours in college due to time constraints. I have a solid 100+ hours from college
- I also lost over 150 pounds during sophomore year of college, so that also was a huge transformation and prevented me from doing a lot
- My mom suffered from a uterine disease when I was younger, which exposed me to the medical field, and allowed me to develop interest
- Supported my family throughout college, working 40+ hours a week, plus volunteering, and going through weight loss. Paid half the mortgage and house bills
- Not an URM (Im south asian)
- I am going on a Global Medical Mission trip to Hondurus for 2 weeks in May to help with a medical sustaibility project!
- I have no shadowing experience so I am looking to get that done before I apply this June

Do You think I have a shot at all? Please be honest and tell me what schools I should apply to?

You're applying in June? For this cycle? If you are referring to next cycle, it starts in August. Your stats look fine for all 9 schools. Your stats are actually fine for DO as well so best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m planning on applying early September (09/2015). My cumulative GPA is a 3.25 and a science GPA of 2.97. MCAT = 22

Although my sGPA is pretty low, there has definitely been an upward trend (past 3 semesters). The reason for poor grades during the first two years of college was due to financial instability.

750+ hours – medical volunteering experience
6 months – DPM shadowing
2 semesters of independent research
University Honors
Medical Mission - Russia (2 weeks)

I plan on applying to all 9 schools. Do you guys think I have a chance? If so, how many interviews do you think I'll get?

That sGPA is low and MCAT is average but you are applying early so you should be fine. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Schools you are applying to: Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
2. cGPA: 2.8/sGPA: 2.57
3. MCAT Score: 27
4. Podiatry Experience: Currently Shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked for a year as nurses aid in hospital and shadowed numerous MDs and DOs
6. Volunteering: Special Olympics, 3 International Mission Trips, Soup kitchen
What are my chances?

1. Schools you are applying to: Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
2. cGPA: 2.8/sGPA: 2.57
3. MCAT Score: 27
4. Podiatry Experience: Currently Shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked for a year as nurses aid in hospital and shadowed numerous MDs and DOs
6. Volunteering: Special Olympics, 3 International Mission Trips, Soup kitchen
What are my chances?

You'll have to call the school and ask. That GPA is really low; I'm not sure if the above average MCAT can make up for it.

You'll have to call the school and ask. That GPA is really low; I'm not sure if the above average MCAT can make up for it.
Thanks for the input, my non-science cGPA is 3.1. Does that change anything in your opinion?

Thanks for the input, my non-science cGPA is 3.1. Does that change anything in your opinion?

No, considering it's the sGPA that I'd be worried about. The first two years are all science classes, it's a major red flag when your sGPA is that low. Your MCAT is definitely above average but it doesn't mean you can actually handle the course load. Best advice is to just ask the school. Best of luck.

That sGPA is low and MCAT is average but you are applying early so you should be fine. Best of luck.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? I honestly don't mind taking the new MCAT. I'm just worried about the new grading scale.

Also, I know I said I would apply to all 9 schools...however, I'm sure my sGPA is low for a few of them. Are there any that I should definitely apply to?

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? I honestly don't mind taking the new MCAT. I'm just worried about the new grading scale.

Also, I know I said I would apply to all 9 schools...however, I'm sure my sGPA is low for a few of them. Are there any that I should definitely apply to?

I think you should be fine. Just apply as early as you can. The smaller schools (Western, AZpod, CSPM, and DMU) are going to be more picky but I think you should still apply to them if you really want to go to those schools. The key is to apply as early as you can. Best of luck.

GPA: 3.10
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: Will be doing soon
Canadian school (American citizen)

Extra circulars/jobs
Economist (Health) 4 month internship
Biostatistics (clinical research) 4 month internship
Research project/thesis (4 months in lab)
Thesis project (8 months)
IT Technician 4 months
Director at Student Union (8 months)

I will be applying everywhere for 2016. I need to re-do Organic Chemistry (part 1), complete the two physics pre-reqs and one more English. Before I apply I will likely have the organic chemistry re-done and one of the physics courses. I know I haven't stated my MCAT but it would be a nice idea to get a range in which I should aim if anyone has any idea :). Thanks guys!

I think you should be fine. Just apply as early as you can. The smaller schools (Western, AZpod, CSPM, and DMU) are going to be more picky but I think you should still apply to them if you really want to go to those schools. The key is to apply as early as you can. Best of luck.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

GPA: 3.10
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: Will be doing soon
Canadian school (American citizen)

Extra circulars/jobs
Economist (Health) 4 month internship
Biostatistics (clinical research) 4 month internship
Research project/thesis (4 months in lab)
Thesis project (8 months)
IT Technician 4 months
Director at Student Union (8 months)

I will be applying everywhere for 2016. I need to re-do Organic Chemistry (part 1), complete the two physics pre-reqs and one more English. Before I apply I will likely have the organic chemistry re-done and one of the physics courses. I know I haven't stated my MCAT but it would be a nice idea to get a range in which I should aim if anyone has any idea :). Thanks guys!

Not going to be able to chance you if you haven't taken the MCAT. Have you taken any practice tests? What are your average scores? What schools are you looking to apply to? And why are you re-taking ochem? Pod schools do not accept retakes so save your money. Unless you failed the course, in which case you definitely need to retake because it's a pre-req. Best advice right now is to just study your butt off for the MCAT and do the best you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not going to be able to chance you if you haven't taken the MCAT. Have you taken any practice tests? What are your average scores? What schools are you looking to apply to? And why are you re-taking ochem? Pod schools do not accept retakes so save your money. Unless you failed the course, in which case you definitely need to retake because it's a pre-req. Best advice right now is to just study your butt off for the MCAT and do the best you can.

I haven't written the new MCAT test but have been averaging about 25-27. I plan on taking it over the summer probably August. I have to redo orgo because I got lower than a C in it, just had a bad exam day and the exam was 100%. Would a 25-27 be a solid for the MCAT? If its not I would rather write an earlier test then have the chance for a redo in August. Thanks!

I haven't written the new MCAT test but have been averaging about 25-27. I plan on taking it over the summer probably August. I have to redo orgo because I got lower than a C in it, just had a bad exam day and the exam was 100%. Would a 25-27 be a solid for the MCAT? If its not I would rather write an earlier test then have the chance for a redo in August. Thanks!

If that's your AAMC average then take it sooner rather than later. Then apply as early as possible to maximize your chances. The current application cycle, at least lately, has been weird. I've seen rejections from people with low GPA and high MCAT scores so the best thing to do is just apply early for the next one.

Hey guys!

So I submitted by AACPMAS on Friday (after 5pm), it was verified today, and I got my first interview invite today!

I'm loving the quick turn around times!

Last edited:
You have high chances to get in at Kent.

If I were you I would apply right now. You can start this August.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response! Anything in particular you would recommend or any knowledge about Kent I should be familiar with? Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks for the reply and the boost of confidence! I am really looking forward to this application cycle come August.
You'll be just fine. Just stay positive throughout the process. It can be a bit exhausting.

I posted a thread no knowing there was an official 'what are my chances thread.'

Anyways I'm a bit worried about my chances of getting into Podiatry school. I graduated from UCSD with a 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA with a degree in biology. Based on my mcat prep it seems that I'll be getting close to a 26-27. What are my chances? Should I go back to school to try to increase my GPA?

I have upcoming interviews at Kent, Temple, and NYCPM. CSPM says that their class is currently full but i can interview for a waitlist position. What's the chance of me getting into Kent, Temple, or NYCPM?
My stats are as follows:
Overall gpa: 3.35
Science gpa: 3.25
Mcat: 24
Roughly 300 hours of volunteer and 20 hours shadowing a DPM. I have all of my letters of recommendations in. My worry is that I have 2 Fs in science classes during my sophomore year.

I have upcoming interviews at Kent, Temple, and NYCPM. CSPM says that their class is currently full but i can interview for a waitlist position. What's the chance of me getting into Kent, Temple, or NYCPM?
My stats are as follows:
Overall gpa: 3.35
Science gpa: 3.25
Mcat: 24
Roughly 300 hours of volunteer and 20 hours shadowing a DPM. I have all of my letters of recommendations in. My worry is that I have 2 Fs in science classes during my sophomore year.
Honestly, stay doesn't look half bad. Just a little late in the application cycle. Apply to all. It wouldn't hurt

I graduated in summer 2014. My cGPA is 3.0 and my sGPA is 2.9. What would I have to get on the mcat to get in anywhere? Also when is the earliest I should apply to improve my chances?

I graduated in summer 2014. My cGPA is 3.0 and my sGPA is 2.9. What would I have to get on the mcat to get in anywhere? Also when is the earliest I should apply to improve my chances?

Get the best score you can. Apply as early as you can.

Bit of a complicated situation but I would appreciate any input if possible. I've made the decision to pursue Podiatry and I know that it's late in the application cycle, however, I wanted to gauge what you all think regarding applying or not for Fall 2015 admission.

My GPA is 3.3/3.1 and MCAT score is waiting to come in since I took it on January 15. I project somewhere between 20-24, so not that good. I really want to attend AZPOD or DMU but I know those are smaller schools with higher requirements as compared to the other schools. I'm debating whether or not to apply this cycle just to have maybe a slight chance of getting accepted, and if not, I will apply first thing when the next application cycle opens up and probably to other schools as well.

Thing is, should I bother with asking recommendations from professors/podiatrists for this cycle, applying just to schools that I would like to get accepted to? Would it look bad if I ask them now and then if I don't get in (real possibility considering they are schools with higher stats, smaller class sizes, late in application cycle), and then have to ask them again for next year? Or should I just wait and apply first thing when the next cycle opens up? My ECs are about average, nothing special. I know if difficult to gauge because I don't have an official MCAT score yet but I'm predicting 20-24 so not too good.

Basically, I'm trying to ask if I should hurry up and submit my application with an unknown MCAT score and letters of rec, even though it's late in the cycle and I would be only applying to schools I really want to: AZPOD and DMU. Or should I just wait and apply next cycle and avoid having to ask professors/podiatrists for another letter of rec another time if I don't get in this time?

Thanks for the input!
Hey guys!

Just an update to my situation. I received a 24 on my MCAT. GPA of 3.3/3.0-3.1. I also went through 1 year of pharmacy school before leaving when I realized I didn't want to do it anymore. I've research Podiatry a lot and believe it is a profession that I would be comfortable in. I know they probably won't distinguish between my undergrad GPA and pharmacy school GPA but my undergrad GPA would be 3.5/3.42 but pharmacy GPA brings it down a bit.

Do you guys think I have a decent shot at AZPOD or DMU? I really want to go either one of those schools. I will definitely apply to other schools like Kent, Scholl, Barry, and Temple as well but those 2 are my target schools. I will be applying first thing when the cycle opens up in August. My professor LORs probably will be OK but nothing special, 1 POD LOR, and a LOR from a head of a non-profit organization that I am heavily involved in. ECs are also OK with extensive involvement in a non-profit organization which assists the poor and needy population as well as 200+ hours of hospital volunteering.

Please let me know what you guys think on my chances. Thanks a lot!

If you apply early, you have a good shot at all schools.

Reactions: 1 user
3.6 GPA 3.5 sGPA
MCAT 24 (8/6/10)
Average shadowing, average EC, above average research

I just applied this week. Since I applied this late, I only applied to the bigger schools and DMU (and I'm thinking of adding Western/Barry)

Non-trad. Worked a year as a biologist at a pharmaceutical company

3.6 GPA 3.5 sGPA
MCAT 24 (8/6/10)
Average shadowing, average EC, above average research

I just applied this week. Since I applied this late, I only applied to the bigger schools and DMU (and I'm thinking of adding Western/Barry)

Non-trad. Worked a year as a biologist at a pharmaceutical company
You have a decent shot at some of the larger schools. I'm sure that DMU's seats are already full. Western and Barry are probably the same, since they are considered smaller schools as well. Your stats will get you into most schools without a doubt. You're a good candidate. If you don't get in this time due to the late submission, apply early in August and you should be a sure shot to any school you choose. Good luck on admissions.

Hey guys!

Just an update to my situation. I received a 24 on my MCAT. GPA of 3.3/3.0-3.1. I also went through 1 year of pharmacy school before leaving when I realized I didn't want to do it anymore. I've research Podiatry a lot and believe it is a profession that I would be comfortable in. I know they probably won't distinguish between my undergrad GPA and pharmacy school GPA but my undergrad GPA would be 3.5/3.42 but pharmacy GPA brings it down a bit.

Do you guys think I have a decent shot at AZPOD or DMU? I really want to go either one of those schools. I will definitely apply to other schools like Kent, Scholl, Barry, and Temple as well but those 2 are my target schools. I will be applying first thing when the cycle opens up in August. My professor LORs probably will be OK but nothing special, 1 POD LOR, and a LOR from a head of a non-profit organization that I am heavily involved in. ECs are also OK with extensive involvement in a non-profit organization which assists the poor and needy population as well as 200+ hours of hospital volunteering.

Please let me know what you guys think on my chances. Thanks a lot!
As long as you apply early, you should have a shot at AZPOD or DMU. Congrats on the MCAT score. As far as the other schools are concerned, you should be an easy admit. Just apply early for smaller programs, such as Barry, AZPOD, DMU, CSPM and Western. Good luck and congratulations again on a good MCAT score.

Would i have a shot? I have been set on dentistry but i think I would enjoy the day in/day out of podiatry more. Plus surgery.

Schools you are applying to (IN ORDER of preference)
DMU
Scholl
Midwestern
Kent

Barry
WesternU

2. cGPA/sGPA
3.7/3.8

3. MCAT Score
Yet to take. Would take it in July and apply thereafter.

4. Podiatry Experience
Shadowing ~40 hours

5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
N/A

6. Volunteering
Health clinic for those that cannot afford insurance or care elsewhere.

Take the MCAT and your good for any school.

Take the MCAT and your good for any school.

How long do people usually study for the MCAT? The DAT was going to be 10 weeks of non-stop studying for the most part. Only need what a 22 on MCAT?

How long do people usually study for the MCAT? The DAT was going to be 10 weeks of non-stop studying for the most part. Only need what a 22 on MCAT?
I took 2-3 months. It is a tough test and a lot different from the DAT. The DAT is more memory based. The MCAT is more critical thinking. I thought the DAT was significantly easier with the exception of the O-Chem aspect of it. Your GPAs are very strong and I don't foresee someone with your stats struggling. Just take as many practice test as possible and learn the concepts. Some of the stuff should be memorized, and other stuff you will have to be able to understand thoroughly. I used Kaplan and the Gold Standard MCAT for study materials. Good luck on the exam.

The matriculating stats are increasing each year for podiatry schools. I would say do the best you can on the MCAT. Shooting for a low number or having the mentality that you "only" need a certain score is not a good way to start in this field. You are already a competitive applicant with your GPA so mind as well shine on the MCAT. Plus, it'll increase your chance of getting some hefty scholarships as well. Check out the MCAT threads on this forum for more opinions on MCAT studying habits. Best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
The matriculating stats are increasing each year for podiatry schools. I would say do the best you can on the MCAT. Shooting for a low number or having the mentality that you "only" need a certain score is not a good way to start in this field. You are already a competitive applicant with your GPA so mind as well shine on the MCAT. Plus, it'll increase your chance of getting some hefty scholarships as well. Check out the MCAT threads on this forum for more opinions on MCAT studying habits. Best of luck.
I wholeheartedly agree. Shoot for a 25+ and you will get into DMU and any other school you want, assuming you don't absolutely bomb in the interview. As PodZilla said, hard work now will pay off in scholarships.

2.85 Cum/Science GPA
MCAT 33 (11 each section)
over 100 hours health care shadowing
over 30 hours pod shadowing
research and volunteering

2.85 Cum/Science GPA
MCAT 33 (11 each section)
over 100 hours health care shadowing
over 30 hours pod shadowing
research and volunteering
Your MCAT score is very strong. Although your GPA is on the lower side, you have a great shot at admissions. Be prepared to explain your low GPA to the different schools. Apply early in the cycle and you should get the school of your choice. Good luck with everything.

Your MCAT score is very strong. Although your GPA is on the lower side, you have a great shot at admissions. Be prepared to explain your low GPA to the different schools. Apply early in the cycle and you should get the school of your choice. Good luck with everything.

Alright thanks for your perspective :) I recently applied this cycle (to start Fall 2015) to some of the larger schools as well (as the consensus seems to be the smaller schools are filled up), do you think I have a shot?

Alright thanks for your perspective :) I recently applied this cycle (to start Fall 2015) to some of the larger schools as well (as the consensus seems to be the smaller schools are filled up), do you think I have a shot?
I applied for a smaller school earlier this year and got in, but I interviewed in Jan. When I interviewed, there were only a few seats left for the class of 2019. My advice to you would be to apply to the school of your choice, even if you have to wait a year. It would be unfortunate to start at a program that you really don't care for, or one that doesn't meet your needs as a student. The interview process goes both ways. They are not just interviewing you, you are interviewing them as well. You will spend the next 4 years of your life at this school, so it is important to make the best long term decision for you and your family (if you have one). You have a shot at the smaller schools, just probably not this cycle. If the smaller schools are still interviewing, they are interviewing for their wait-list. What schools are you looking at (big or small)?

Well geography is more of a deciding factor for me, I don't want to be super far away from my family which is in NY. So I'd be especially happy with NYCPM, Temple is not too far either.
I have relatives in the Illinois and Ohio so Kent, Des Moines, Scholl would also be pretty good.

Western and Samuel Merritt are probably out of the question, they are pretty far.

From what I read at least Scholl seems to be filled or close to it, and maybe Des Moines as well. Not too sure about the other schools.

Well geography is more of a deciding factor for me, I don't want to be super far away from my family which is in NY. So I'd be especially happy with NYCPM, Temple is not too far either.
I have relatives in the Illinois and Ohio so Kent, Des Moines, Scholl would also be pretty good.

Western and Samuel Merritt are probably out of the question, they are pretty far.

From what I read at least Scholl seems to be filled or close to it, and maybe Des Moines as well. Not too sure about the other schools.
NYCPM and Temple would be safe bets on making it this cycle. I'm almost sure Des Moines in full, as well as CSPM and Western. Kent may have some seats left as well. Have you gotten your application verified by AACPMAS and submitted to the larger schools yet?

Hey! So I'm wondering what you guys think of my chances for acceptance are this cycle. I submitted about a week ago...
3.1 cumulative GPA
21 MCAT
Biology major, studio art minor
Tons of Volunteering/shadowing hours
Photography business (if anybody needs their pictures taken...)
I applied to all 9!

Hey! So I'm wondering what you guys think of my chances for acceptance are this cycle. I submitted about a week ago...
3.1 cumulative GPA
21 MCAT
Biology major, studio art minor
Tons of Volunteering/shadowing hours
Photography business (if anybody needs their pictures taken...)
I applied to all 9!
You're good for schools that have space left.

Good luck

1. Schools you are applying to (Year 2016 cycle)
DMU
Scholl
2. cGPA/sGPA
3.18/3.0
3. MCAT Score
Taking in September
4. Podiatry Experience
Shadowing >50 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
~25 hours with dentistry, Ortho and General Physician
6. Volunteering
Dance Marathon, school for troubled kids

Extras:
Played collegiate football for 4 years
I will also be taking a year off and be working as a scribe

Your MCAT might be the deal breaker for both of the schools. Get the best score you can. A 7,500 would be good. JK, I have no idea what the scoring is like in the new format. The highest is 528 and the mean is 500? Get over a 500.

If you can manage not taking a year off I would recommend it.

Your MCAT might be the deal breaker for both of the schools. Get the best score you can. A 7,500 would be good. JK, I have no idea what the scoring is like in the new format. The highest is 528 and the mean is 500? Get over a 500.

If you can manage not taking a year off I would recommend it.

What's wrong with taking a year off?

What's wrong with taking a year off?
I should have elaborated. Sorry.

It won't make much of a difference in acceptance but taking that extra time off is an extra year for tuition to increase, forget some of the basics from undergrad and get out of the habits of study.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice whether or not to retake my MCAT this summer. I'm planning on applying to DMU, NYCPM, CSPM, Western, and Scholl as soon as the applications open in August.
cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.25
MCAT: 23 (7PS, 8VR, 8BS)
~150 hours volunteering in major ED
~300 hours of research in psychology lab
~Three summers worth of tutoring high school students
Pod shadowing lined up for the summer, should end up with at least 20 hours, hopefully more.

Would it be worth it for me to retake? Or am I good to go now if I get my application in August?