This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've seen a lot of students who are planning on taking the mcat way later in the fall and even in the winter and are still planning on applying for the following year. Doesn't the application open in August though? I just want to make sure I have the timeline down correctly.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the application opens on the 5th of August, but I have heard of people getting in in January and February. So if you test in January it doesnt mean you are out of the running.

According to the schools I've talked to, applying in January and February does not decrease your opportunity. They said they understand "life" happens and to get everything in before the priority deadline which is usually April 1st for most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the schools I've talked to, applying in January and February does not decrease your opportunity. They said they understand "life" happens and to get everything in before the priority deadline which is usually April 1st for most.

If it's rolling admissions then just from that your chances are inherently lower. But it does help that they're aren't a bunch exams being offered between now and January. Fr what I heard September is the last time to sign up before the January time

If it's rolling admissions then just from that your chances are inherently lower. But it does help that they're aren't a bunch exams being offered between now and January. Fr what I heard September is the last time to sign up before the January time
Correct September 23rd is last test day until January. I recently decided to pursue Podiatry. So recent that I am taking the OAT in October because I paid for it and cannot get a refund. I'll take the MCAT in January.

Correct September 23rd is last test day until January. I recently decided to pursue Podiatry. So recent that I am taking the OAT in October because I paid for it and cannot get a refund. I'll take the MCAT in January.

Wow they won't give you your money back even this far away from the exam. That really sucks.

You're telling me! Cost me $458.

Hello, just wondering my chances of admission. My top choice schools are temple, Scholl, DMU, Barry and nycpm. I graduated this may 2015 and spent my last cycle applying to MD/DO so I'm technically on my second gap year. I'm spending it working as a pharm tech and volunteering with Feeding America, and also Habitat for Humanity. Still working on PS for pod, though.

Biology major, Biophysics minor
GPA: 3.66c and 3.54s
MCAT: 26
- have volunteered 50+ hours at a cancer center during my sophomore and junior years
- also volunteered 30+ hours at foodbanks across my city
- several relay for life events
- participated in many walkathons that have helped raised thousands of dollars, per event, towards cancer research and also charity's.
-150+ hours shadowing a cardiologist

Podiatrist I've been shadowing just agreed to write me a letter, I've gotten along with him well and have been shadowing for about 40-50 hours now. I contacted two of my previous LoR writers for MD/DO apps, and asked them to change the subject towards podiatry and I've gotten those LoRs in, too.

Last edited:
Hello, just wondering my chances of admission. My top choice schools are temple, Scholl, DMU, Barry and nycpm. I graduated this may 2015 and spent my last cycle applying to MD/DO so I'm technically on my second gap year. I'm spending it working as a pharm tech and volunteering with Feeding America, and also Habitat for Humanity. Still working on PS for pod, though.

Biology major, Biophysics minor
GPA: 3.66c and 3.54s
MCAT: 26
- have volunteered 50+ hours at a cancer center during my sophomore and junior years
- also volunteered 30+ hours at foodbanks across my city
- several relay for life events
- participated in many walkathons that have helped raised thousands of dollars, per event, towards cancer research and also charity's.
-150+ hours shadowing a cardiologist

Podiatrist I've been shadowing just agreed to write me a letter, I've gotten along with him well and have been shadowing for about 40-50 hours now. I contacted two of my previous LoR writers for MD/DO apps, and asked them to change the subject towards podiatry and I've gotten those LoRs in, too.

With those stats you weren't able to get into a DO program? That's really surprising because they are quite competitive albeit probably on the lower end but still not bad. As for podiatry your set. May even get a scholarship at scholl or Barry.

With those stats you weren't able to get into a DO program? That's really surprising because they are quite competitive albeit probably on the lower end but still not bad. As for podiatry your set. May even get a scholarship at scholl or Barry.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah it was a tough break :( a lot of stress, so I'm hoping I get into a pod school because I really do like it.

Hi guys. Here are my updated stats right before i apply.

Sci gpa: 3.02. (Straight As 26 units post bacc at Cc)
Cum gpa: 3.40

Mcat : took it in July felt I did well probably around a 500

Volunteer/Leadership:
-coached and captain of soccer team. 100 hours
-volunteered at several child events making security bracelets for kids about 100 hours
-volunteered at md doctors office just speaking and interacting with patients (mainly senior citizens who loved to talk lol) before they got called in. 40 hours
-shadowed podiatrist 40 hours

What are my chances overall and what are my chances for the top 3 ( dmu, western, midwestern)

Hi guys. Here are my updated stats right before i apply.

Sci gpa: 3.02. (Straight As 26 units post bacc at Cc)
Cum gpa: 3.40

Mcat : took it in July felt I did well probably around a 500

Volunteer/Leadership:
-coached and captain of soccer team. 100 hours
-volunteered at several child events making security bracelets for kids about 100 hours
-volunteered at md doctors office just speaking and interacting with patients (mainly senior citizens who loved to talk lol) before they got called in. 40 hours
-shadowed podiatrist 40 hours

What are my chances overall and what are my chances for the top 3 ( dmu, western, midwestern)

It really depends on what you got on your MCAT. you have similar stats to mine (3.08 sgpa, 3.314 cgpa, minus the MCAT). If you got a 500 or close to it, then you should be fine. if around 490, you will need to retake.

The schools you are picking are schools with low amount of seats (midwestern is like 28 seats, dmu and western around 50). These types of schools have competitive stats, due to the seat count. Apply as early as you can for a higher chance. In addition to those schools, I would recommend applying to the bigger schools as well (NYCPM, Temple, Scholl, Kent), just to be safe (but that's just me).

That's just my 2 cents. I am also applying this year, so I'm not that knowledgeable (heavily based on past forums I have been reading), compared to those who went through the application. Hope something I said helped you out. Good luck!

A few questions:

FYI--I'll be applying to pod school in a few days. Also, taking MCATS in sept (with the option of retaking in Jan).

I'm retaking a class this fall that I failed in a previous semester. Therefore, I won't have the grade in until December. Does this affect my application at all? For instance, could they reject me before having this final grade in, or do they wait until the end of the cycle to reject. An extension of this question is, should I wait until I have my final grades in to apply?

Also, do psychology and/or neuroscience classes count towards science gpa?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A few questions:

FYI--I'll be applying to pod school in a few days. Also, taking MCATS in sept (with the option of retaking in Jan).

I'm retaking a class this fall that I failed in a previous semester. Therefore, I won't have the grade in until December. Does this affect my application at all? For instance, could they reject me before having this final grade in, or do they wait until the end of the cycle to reject. An extension of this question is, should I wait until I have my final grades in to apply?

Also, do psychology and/or neuroscience classes count towards science gpa?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm in the process of applying too, so take my info with a grain of salt lol:

Imo, you should get all your application stuff ready and get it done asap. From what I read, the time it take for the application to be processed is about 5-6 weeks (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). Also, you should be able to mention that you are currently taking a class and later update it on the application. Since I don't work in admin, I'd guess they would wait until they see what grade you got and then decide for interview/rejection. I doubt they would automatically reject you, unless your GPA/MCAT stats aren't competitive.

The question/issue I have is: if the test in sept didn't work out and you already submitted your app, how can you let the schools know you are going to retake it again?

Terms of what classes count for which GPA, I found this info on another forum:

Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• Biology
  • General/Inorganic Chemistry
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Math and Statistics
  • Other Science
Your Non-Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• English
  • Other Non-Science
I'm retaking also in September (god forbid I have to retake again in January..). Good luck!

Throwaway b/c I'm having a really hard time making this question sound anything but totally arrogant :(

Do podiatry schools take applications with stats that are competitive for pre-allo less seriously?

I am very interested in podiatry, but am afraid they will not take my application seriously just because of the numbers!

Throwaway b/c I'm having a really hard time making this question sound anything but totally arrogant :(

Do podiatry schools take applications with stats that are competitive for pre-allo less seriously?

I am very interested in podiatry, but am afraid they will not take my application seriously just because of the numbers!

I'm assuming you mean you have the stats for MD:

I have never heard of an instance where pod schools ( or any school in general) look down on your application because you have higher numbers than the competitive stats. It's true that most podiatry schools have lower number stats than others, but that doesn't mean someone who has very good numbers can't apply and must apply MD. If podiatry is something you really want to do, then apply with the strong numbers. It won't hurt you in any way. I'm sure they take every application very seriously.

Just make sure podiatry is something you really want to do. It's a big commitment (7 years+$$$$). If you haven't, shadow pods, get their perspective on the field and get exposure to procedures, if possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Trying to get some more opinions on my chances this cycle.

MCAT 26, 3.66 cGPA, 3.54 sGPA. Ton of volunteering and I have shadowed a pod for over 50 hours.

Trying to get some more opinions on my chances this cycle.

MCAT 26, 3.66 cGPA, 3.54 sGPA. Ton of volunteering and I have shadowed a pod for over 50 hours.
Pick your school. Which one you going to? ;)

Was thinking temple, Scholl, kent, Barry, or DMU!
Well as long as you have a decent interview you'll get your pick of any of the schools. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable at!

Well as long as you have a decent interview you'll get your pick of any of the schools. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable at!

Would I have to completely butcher the interviews to not get accepted?

Just curious where I might stand applying to all 9.

Biochem Major, Biological Sciences minor
cGPA-3.45
sGPA-3.55
MCAT-22
Shadowed 1 podiatrist 6 times including surgery
4 years Army non-Medical
8 years Air Force as a Medic
volunteer at a monthly free clinic, and at correctional facilities.

cGPA-3.45
sGPA-3.55
MCAT-22
4 years Army non-Medical
You'll get interviews and as long as you don't completely screw those up you'll get into several places. :)

cGPA-3.45
sGPA-3.55
MCAT-22
4 years Army non-Medical
You can save some money and apply to only the schools you are highly interested in.

Updated stats, what are my chances at AZPOD, DMU, and Kent? I can't submit my application until mid september, so it scares me that I'm a little later in the cycle.
cGPA: 3.509 (Big upward trend, 3.82 cGPA for my sophomore, junior, and senior years. really screwed up my freshman year.)
sGPA 3.425
MCAT: 498
Good ECs, doing an internship with a podiatrist right now, along with 60 hours of pod shadowing, 12 hours DO shadowing, and over 200 hours volunteer work.

Updated stats, what are my chances at AZPOD, DMU, and Kent? I can't submit my application until mid september, so it scares me that I'm a little later in the cycle.
cGPA: 3.509 (Big upward trend, 3.82 cGPA for my sophomore, junior, and senior years. really screwed up my freshman year.)
sGPA 3.425
Good ECs, doing an internship with a podiatrist right now, along with 60 hours of pod shadowing, 12 hours DO shadowing, and over 200 hours volunteer work.
You're good for all 3. September isn't too late in the game. You'll be fine.

sGPA 3.425
You'll get in to all 3. Enjoy Pod school! ;)

wondering what my chances are;
Sgpa and CGpa are 3.3
Mcat: 488 ( low)
Strong LORS
Decent ECs
60+ hrs shadowing DPM ( my father is one) and more to come
applying to primarily Kent, Barry and possibly Temple
any suggestions would be great and alsojust waiting on my LORS so can i still send my application in early even if I dont have those or is it best to wait, they should be done within next two weeks, have LOR from Podiatrist though

So i just got my mcat scorr

Final stats before applying are as follows:

Sci gpa 3.03(straight As last 28 units post bacc)
Cum gpa 3.4
Mcat 502 (equivalent to 27 on old test)
Business major

What are my chances for each of the schools?

So i just got my mcat scorr

Final stats before applying are as follows:

Sci gpa 3.03(straight As last 28 units post bacc)
Cum gpa 3.4
Mcat 502 (equivalent to 27 on old test)
Business major

What are my chances for each of the schools?
Pretty good.

If I were you I would give the schools a call and ask for your chances of getting in. It will allow you to get to know the schools a little better and narrow down your decision so that you can apply to less than all nine schools and save a little money. You'll get in somewhere but be aware that interviews will start soon and seats will start to fill up. Try to get your application finished and sent in during the next few weeks.

I know my chances are pretty low for fall 2016 but here goes,

2.91 Cum GPA
2.89 Science GPA
Haven't taken MCAT yet. Plan on taking it in January, is this too late?
Shadowing DPM starting this week
100 hours hospital volunteer work
Good ECs
1 year of research on the executive function of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder

Last edited:
I have a bit of a complex situation, and would like input:

I took the new mcat last month, but I had to report an issue with my exam to aamc. My screen shut off in the middle of my exam and I lost about 10 minutes from the Physical sciences section while they were trying to fix it. AAMC investigated my report and confirmed that it was their fault. So they wrote me up a letter saying that the PS section score isnt accurate of my true potential - they told me I needed to send this letter in to all the schools I applied to, so they can attach it to my application.
My PS section ended to be my lowest score...got a 488 total - just awful, terrible.
GPA: cum-3.83 and sci-3.7
As I said in my earlier posts, I work full time from 10am-7pm/6 days a week. Graduated with honors (top 5%) and have extensive amount of leadership positions, volunteer, shadowing, EC's and research.
I already applied when the application cycle opened about 2 weeks ago.
What are my chances? Will admissions really consider that letter from aamc about my exam disturbance that completely ruined my score (and totally stressed me out throughout the whole exam)?
For the record, when I took practice tests, my scores were consistently between 498-500.
I had the worst luck that day.
Thanks in advanced to those that give input.

I took the new mcat last month, but I had to report an issue with my exam to aamc. My screen shut off in the middle of my exam and I lost about 10 minutes from the Physical sciences section while they were trying to fix it. AAMC investigated my report and confirmed that it was their fault. So they wrote me up a letter saying that the PS section score isnt accurate of my true potential - they told me I needed to send this letter in to all the schools I applied to, so they can attach it to my application.
My PS section ended to be my lowest score...got a 488 total - just awful, terrible.
As I said in my earlier posts, I work full time from 10am-7pm/6 days a week. Graduated with honors (top 5%) and have extensive amount of leadership positions, volunteer, shadowing, EC's and research.
What are my chances? Will admissions really consider that letter from aamc about my exam disturbance that completely ruined my score (and totally stressed me out throughout the whole exam)?
For the record, when I took practice tests, my scores were consistently between 498-500.
You're going to be fine. Relax. Breathe.

Good luck deciding when and where to interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I know my chances are pretty low for fall 2016 but here goes,

2.91 Cum GPA
2.89 Science GPA
Haven't taken MCAT yet. Plan on taking it in January, is this too late?
Shadowing DPM starting this week
100 hours hospital volunteer work
Good ECs
1 year of research on the executive function of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Your stats are on the lower end but you may get an interview. My suggestion would to be not to apply. Historically those who enter podiatry school with your stats end up having a very hard time. That means you might fail out the first year with a lot of debt. Podiatry school is tough so think about whether or not you'll be able to make it through 4 years of hard hard work.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

You really think the aamc letter will make a difference? Cuz that mcat score is really low and im terrified I dont get in anywhere.

I'm real sorry to hear that. But I don't see any reason as to why that letter from the AAMC shouldn't put the schools at ease. The rest of your stats speak for themselves anyways. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm real sorry to hear that. But I don't see any reason as to why that letter from the AAMC shouldn't put the schools at ease. The rest of your stats speak for themselves anyways. You'll be fine.

Thank you for your input. I just checked the re-calculated gpa's from my application and it states: BCP totals: 3.53 and Overall: 3.88
Am I still okay with my mcat situation? I just don't know how much the admissions committee will weigh my gpa vs mcat.

Thank you for your input. I just checked the re-calculated gpa's from my application and it states: BCP totals: 3.53 and Overall: 3.88
Am I still okay with my mcat situation? I just don't know how much the admissions committee will weigh my gpa vs mcat.

your MCAT score of 488 is equivalent to an 18. Based on the info I have, most pod schools have a range of MCAT scores they obtain through applications. The range is usually between 17-32 (though it is a little different for each school). Your MCAT score is on the low end, but your GPA is on the high end. Imo, it should balance out the low MCAT score. They won't focus on just your MCAT score alone. they will look at GPA, activities, experience, etc. (which you have)

Overall, I think you will be fine and shouldn't have any major worries. Apply as early as you can and you should get interviews. However, if your MCAT score is really bugging you, you can retake it in January 2016. January isn't that late for pod cycle (correct me if I'm wrong) and you will still be fine (although seat availability will start to decrease)

your MCAT score of 488 is equivalent to an 18. Based on the info I have, most pod schools have a range of MCAT scores they obtain through applications. The range is usually between 17-32 (though it is a little different for each school). Your MCAT score is on the low end, but your GPA is on the high end. Imo, it should balance out the low MCAT score. They won't focus on just your MCAT score alone. they will look at GPA, activities, experience, etc. (which you have)

Overall, I think you will be fine and shouldn't have any major worries. Apply as early as you can and you should get interviews. However, if your MCAT score is really bugging you, you can retake it in January 2016. January isn't that late for pod cycle (correct me if I'm wrong) and you will still be fine (although seat availability will start to decrease)

Thank you very much for your input. You made me feel a little better.
My last question is: does the podiatric admissions committee put on the same weight on the mcat as do normal MD/DO schools admissions?

Okay so currently been studying for the DAT. I was set on dental school but keep coming back to podiatry. Love the day in day out practice much much more than being hunched over looking in a mouth all day.

I started at a CC and got my associates while doing a few prerequisites.

Then transferred to a 4-year, kept my gap up, and took upper level science classes (org 1/2, GC 2, genetics, physio, etc)

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.8

Obviously would have to change gears from DAT to MCAT but how hard would that be; is there some similarity? Assuming a decent score would I have a good shot at getting in?

Thanks!

My last question is: does the podiatric admissions committee put on the same weight on the mcat as do normal MD/DO schools admissions?

I'm not an admin so I have no idea. Mcat is pretty important so I would assume they would weigh it similarly as md/do admins

Okay so currently been studying for the DAT. I was set on dental school but keep coming back to podiatry. Love the day in day out practice much much more than being hunched over looking in a mouth all day.

I started at a CC and got my associates while doing a few prerequisites.

Then transferred to a 4-year, kept my gap up, and took upper level science classes (org 1/2, GC 2, genetics, physio, etc)

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.8

Obviously would have to change gears from DAT to MCAT but how hard would that be; is there some similarity? Assuming a decent score would I have a good shot at getting in?

Thanks!

Imo, DAT is more about do you know the materials/facts. Mcat is more about do you know the facts and can you incorporate your knowledge into a passage you most likely will not comprehend 100% of it. I'd suggest getting used to the passage format of the mcat (do lots of practice problems).

You have high gpas so I'd say getting a score in the 20s on the mcat will be good enough.

Imo, DAT is more about do you know the materials/facts. Mcat is more about do you know the facts and can you incorporate your knowledge into a passage you most likely will not comprehend 100% of it. I'd suggest getting used to the passage format of the mcat (do lots of practice problems).

You have high gpas so I'd say getting a score in the 20s on the mcat will be good enough.

Awesome! I have exam krackers already and would Chad's videos be of use along with that? I figure study until January and take the exam then. I would love to take it in September but not sure I can be ready.

So I would be applying in January. Is that too late for an acceptance?

I would really like to go to either Des Moines, Kent or Midwestern.

Your stats are on the lower end but you may get an interview. My suggestion would to be not to apply. Historically those who enter podiatry school with your stats end up having a very hard time. That means you might fail out the first year with a lot of debt. Podiatry school is tough so think about whether or not you'll be able to make it through 4 years of hard hard work.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Sorry but that's a tad ridiculous. A LOT of people in my class had sub 3.0 GPA's in undergrad and are doing just fine right now, including myself. Many people were just lazy in undergrad, but fixed up their act once they got here.

Awesome! I have exam krackers already and would Chad's videos be of use along with that? I figure study until January and take the exam then. I would love to take it in September but not sure I can be ready.

So I would be applying in January. Is that too late for an acceptance?

I would really like to go to either Des Moines, Kent or Midwestern.

If Chad's videos help you understand the concepts better, then it doesn't hurt to use it. You can also check out Khanacademy's mcat videos (it's not bad and its free). Can't emphasize this enough: do lots of practice problems!

If you have never taken the MCAT before, then you will not be ready by September (kind of sucks that aamc never put a date in oct/nov...)

From what I can tell, applying January isn't late. Most schools have competitive deadlines by April/May. Of course, it would be better for you to apply as early as you can. For the schools you listed, I'd be a little worried about Des Moines and Midwestern. Those schools have few seats (around 30 for Midwestern and 50 for Des Moines). By the time January hits, there might not be a lot of seats left, but you should still try regardless (you might get lucky). Kent should be ok, since it's one of the bigger schools.

If you haven't already, you should start your application right now. It will take around 5-6 weeks for it to process (doing all the transcript stuff, etc). I believe you can indicate you will be taking the MCAT in January, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Ive posted this before but figured I would post this again for this current cycle. See if the responses are the same.

Made poor undergrad decisions and walked away with 2.3 from my first undergrad institution. I transfered back home and finished my undergraduate and pulled it up to a 2.5. I did well on the GRE and explained my situation and goals to the Dean of Admissions of the biology masters program at the institution I was at and was able to get admissions into the program. I am 2/3s done with the program with a GPA of 3.55 (I have had no pre-reqs for many of the classes I was taking so I was having to learn the basics and keep up with the advanced concepts as I went. So for tumor immunology, I had to learn immunology as I went or with human genetics, I had to catch up on genetics as I went). My MCAT was a 22 (6P, 7V, 9B). I have shadowed a well known podiatrist in the field of podiatry for 100 some hours. I will be applying to all pod schools. Thoughts? any advice is well received and appreciated.

Ive posted this before but figured I would post this again for this current cycle. See if the responses are the same.

Made poor undergrad decisions and walked away with 2.3 from my first undergrad institution. I transfered back home and finished my undergraduate and pulled it up to a 2.5. I did well on the GRE and explained my situation and goals to the Dean of Admissions of the biology masters program at the institution I was at and was able to get admissions into the program. I am 2/3s done with the program with a GPA of 3.55 (I have had no pre-reqs for many of the classes I was taking so I was having to learn the basics and keep up with the advanced concepts as I went. So for tumor immunology, I had to learn immunology as I went or with human genetics, I had to catch up on genetics as I went). My MCAT was a 22 (6P, 7V, 9B). I have shadowed a well known podiatrist in the field of podiatry for 100 some hours. I will be applying to all pod schools. Thoughts? any advice is well received and appreciated.
So what would you say is your overall GPA and overall Science GPA, calculated as AACPMAS would do, not as your university would do? At least a couple of the schools do have a hard cutoff of 2.75 and won't review your application at all if you get screened out. Others have more of a soft cutoff and will still review your application even if you're borderline or slightly under the 2.75.

That's a pretty specific question that can be asked to every school whether MD or DPM. If you want to know that answer you need to talk to the programs.

You sent in your app so just be patient. Don't give yourself an ulcer.