This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry but that's a tad ridiculous. A LOT of people in my class had sub 3.0 GPA's in undergrad and are doing just fine right now, including myself. Many people were just lazy in undergrad, but fixed up their act once they got here.
How many people did your class lose? How many didn't pass boards?

The fact is that those who were lazy and didn't do well in undergrad are not likely to be able to keep up with graduate level coursework. That's why you see almost half of some classes failing out.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to all schools except for Samuel Merritt and NYCPM. I should be able to submit my application within the next day or so, once my personal statement is finished. What are my chances?

GPA: 3.16
SGPA: 3.59
MCAT: Taking 9/23. Averaging score of 500 on most TPR/Kaplan practice tests I've taken.
Experience: Have shadowed 2 MDs and 1 podiatrist. 2 volunteer positions for a total of around 100 hours. 1.5 years experience in undergraduate research with poster presentation. I've worked full time through school for 7 years as a manager at a call center (graduated high school in 2006). Non-traditional student; have held a number of other jobs in various positions, including working as a pharmacy technician.

I am worried about my application because right out of high school, I made the immature (stupid) decision of going to a local community college and failing two straight quarters of classes because I was disinterested and didn't go to class. I have matured a lot and now realize what a dumb move that was, but I'm concerned that this factor will prevent my admission somewhere. If you subtract those two quarters of failed classes, my GPA rises to 3.34 overall with a 3.74 SGPA. Do you think the admissions committees will see past the low GPA and notice that I've matured enough to handle pod school?

You might have had crap GPA in the beginning, but the GPA you have now is pretty good for podiatry school (overall GPA is somewhat low, but look at the sGPA!). Once you get an interview, they may ask you questions about your GPA and at that point, you can tell them what happened.

As long as you get an MCAT score in the mid 20s you should get interviews. If you haven't already, take the official AAMC MCAT test too.

Also, just curious, is there a particular reason you don't want to attend NYCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have had crap GPA in the beginning, but the GPA you have now is pretty good for podiatry school (overall GPA is somewhat low, but look at the sGPA!). Once you get an interview, they may ask you questions about your GPA and at that point, you can tell them what happened.

As long as you get an MCAT score in the mid 20s you should get interviews. If you haven't already, take the official AAMC MCAT test too.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
That's a pretty specific question that can be asked to every school whether MD or DPM. If you want to know that answer you need to talk to the programs.

You sent in your app so just be patient. Don't give yourself an ulcer.

A D.O. adcom told me once that DO schools tend to look more at your experiences, EC's, etc. They told me they don't put as much weight on the mcat as do MD schools (although it's still a huge deciding factor). So I was just wondering if Pod schools did the same?

Kent has some of the lowest standards and one of the biggest classes. Your chances are probably better for Kent than for NYCPM.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks

Last edited:
I would like some opinions (please state your reasons) for what are my chances at getting into any Podiatry school.

I have applied to all the schools

sGPA: 2.78
nsGPA: 3.4
cGPA:2.98
MCAT:19

Much thanks gents and ladies

I'd say your chances aren't that great. My reason is because your GPA and MCAT score are below the averages for all schools. If you do get an interview, make sure to kill it. If you don't get in this cycle, do some post bac work and get a good GPA in that AND retake the MCAT. Good luck

I would like some opinions (please state your reasons) for what are my chances at getting into any Podiatry school.

I have applied to all the schools

sGPA: 2.78
nsGPA: 3.4
cGPA:2.98
MCAT:19

Much thanks gents and ladies
Well, applying early certainly gives you your best shot at getting in since more seats are open and schools are generally more willing to take a chance on someone earlier in the cycle. The science GPA is certainly a red flag since you're applying to a science based professional degree and the MCAT is a red flag since there are many more big tests you'll be taking before you ever make it to being a practising DPM.

That being said your GPAs aren't terrible, and are at least above the hard cutoffs so you wouldn't get automatically screened out anywhere. If you don't get in this cycle I would recommend improving your MCAT score and reapplying next cycle. You would just have to take so many classes to make any significant change to your GPA, but if you can just take one more MCAT and get your score up 3 or 4 points you should have a good chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, applying early certainly gives you your best shot at getting in since more seats are open and schools are generally more willing to take a chance on someone earlier in the cycle. The science GPA is certainly a red flag since you're applying to a science based professional degree and the MCAT is a red flag since there are many more big tests you'll be taking before you ever make it to being a practising DPM.

That being said your GPAs aren't terrible, and are at least above the hard cutoffs so you wouldn't get automatically screened out anywhere. If you don't get in this cycle I would recommend improving your MCAT score and reapplying next cycle. You would just have to take so many classes to make any significant change to your GPA, but if you can just take one more MCAT and get your score up 3 or 4 points you should have a good chance.
I was surprised with how AACPMAS calculated my sGPA. I didn't know they included retaken classes. Not even DO schools do that. Does anyone know why We have retaken classes added against us?

Also I just received a rejection letter from Temple. This worries me..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised with how AACPMAS calculated my sGPA. I didn't know they included retaken classes. Not even DO schools do that. Does anyone know why We have retaken classes added against us?

Also I just received a rejection letter from Temple. This worries me..
I don't know about the GPAs. I do believe that should be changed. Everybody says "pod GPA stats are so low" and try to make fun of us for it, but DO and MD stats would be a lot lower too if theirs were calculated like ours. My cGPA would be .30 higher if they didn't count retakes and that's a huge difference.

If you applied to all nine you definitely still have a shot at Barry and Kent at least.

I don't know about the GPAs. I do believe that should be changed. Everybody says "pod GPA stats are so low" and try to make fun of us for it, but DO and MD stats would be a lot lower too if theirs were calculated like ours. My cGPA would be .30 higher if they didn't count retakes and that's a huge difference.

If you applied to all nine you definitely still have a shot at Barry and Kent at least.
Yeah I hope so. Ive been looking at the stats on the AACPMAS application guidebook, but I realized that all thier stats are from 2013.. (Also fishy).
When I log onto individual schools the GPAs are much higher than the guide book. (Maybe the schools don't count retaken classes to help their stats..?)
At any rate lots of hours hunting down stats.

I am ready intrested in podiatry and I have a 3.4 gpa and a 22 mcat score, should I try to retest?
I also did:
*100 hours of shadowing for a podiatrist
*100 hours volunteering besides having a part time job

I am ready intrested in podiatry and I have a 3.4 gpa and a 22 mcat score, should I try to retest?
I also did:
*100 hours of shadowing for a podiatrist
*100 hours volunteering besides having a part time job
MCAT is totally fine. Did you calculate your GPA using AACPMAS calculation methods?

Yeah I hope so. Ive been looking at the stats on the AACPMAS application guidebook, but I realized that all thier stats are from 2013.. (Also fishy).
When I log onto individual schools the GPAs are much higher than the guide book. (Maybe the schools don't count retaken classes to help their stats..?)
At any rate lots of hours hunting down stats.

Attached is a screenshot with the most recent stats available for each school. These were taken from the 2015 Podiatric College Medical Information Book, located at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3IPQBw&usg=AFQjCNFTpqGVVXkofsl8Fsk4wOmmx5uy9A

Attachments

• podstats.png
    podstats.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 95
What's AACPMAS, i don't know what that is. 3.4 is my gpa college gpa

AACPMAS is the application service for podiatry. The main thing is that they calculate all grades, even if you retake the class later. They count all original and retake GPAs in the calculation.

This a great time to remind everyone (mostly those looking at podiatry for the first time) that pacpod made a great sticky at the top of the forum for those who are trying to figure out what podiatry is. It's the "One-stop Shop for Podiatry Information" thread.

AACPMAS is the application service for podiatry. The main thing is that they calculate all grades, even if you retake the class later. They count all original and retake GPAs in the calculation.
I did go to the website and it still gives me 3.4 as my gpa!

I did go to the website and it still gives me 3.4 as my gpa!
You have to enter your grades into the application and have your university send your transcripts to them. THEN you will get your true GPA(s) once your transcript/grades have been verified. It takes about a week or two.

So what would you say is your overall GPA and overall Science GPA, calculated as AACPMAS would do, not as your university would do? At least a couple of the schools do have a hard cutoff of 2.75 and won't review your application at all if you get screened out. Others have more of a soft cutoff and will still review your application even if you're borderline or slightly under the 2.75.
Undergrad without removing any retakes (failed intro bio 3 times before I got my head on straight and aced it the 4th for example) = 2.31
graduate according to AACPMAS will probably be a 3.5.

combining both gets me at a 2.44 overall with my bio MS and my undergrad for overall.

My science GPA with undergrad and grad is 2.44 as well.

Well, AZPod has a hard cutoff of 2.75 and Des Moines has a hard cutoff of 2.70. They won't even look at your application so don't waste the money applying to them. CSPM and Temple have soft cutoffs of 2.75, where they may still review your application if you're slightly under but you're probably too far under for them as well. That leaves Barry, Kent, Scholl, New York, and Western. None of those schools have a hard or soft cutoff that I know of, but New York and Western are both well out of the range of your stats. Your only shot would be Barry, Kent, or Scholl and I would contact each of those 3 schools before applying. Your MCAT is right at the average for all 3 schools, about 20% below those school's science GPA average and almost 25% below those school's overall GPA averages for matriculating students in 2013-2014. People have gotten in with GPAs around yours in the past, but I assume they had stellar, not average, MCATs. Just keepin it 100, as they say. The only way I see you really becoming competitive is if you can retake the MCAT and score right around a 30.

I'm sure your Master's degree and good upward trend will prove that you've got your head in the game now, but that won't keep you from getting auto screened out at most of the schools.

Last edited:
Guys are the 2.75 cutoffs for some of thr schools for the overall and science gpas or are there cutoffs for individul classes/subject like organic chem and bio?

Guys are the 2.75 cutoffs for some of thr schools for the overall and science gpas or are there cutoffs for individul classes/subject like organic chem and bio?
The cutoffs are for cumulative GPA's.

For "Overall" and "Overall Science" as AACPMAS does the GPAs, except for CSPM which uses the "Overall" and "BCP Totals" GPAs. AACPMAS sends the schools like almost 30 GPAs, but as far as I know they only screen out candidates using the ones I just mentioned. I don't think they do it by the GPA for a specific year or specific course type. Imagine if they did do it for a course type GPA like organic chemistry which for many people only includes 2 courses. If you have a single retake in there you may already be below the cutoff. That would screen way too many people.

After reading the last couple of comments, I was wondering if AACPMAS counts biology research as part of sGPA?

that will be interesting to see if undergraduate science based research will count. would bump my grad/undergrad gpa to a 2.5. has anyone gotten their AACPMAS GPA back with research included?

I just had my application verified and it looks like my research was included as biology classes and impacted my biology GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
cGPA is 3.0
sGPA is 2.8
MCAT is 502 (which I think is a 27 on the old one?)

I went to a top 5 public university for undergrad if that makes a difference.

I have around 200 hours of EC during college with SAR which I think is health-care related. Scribing at my hospital right now in the ER, and ENT/ortho clinics. Will have close to 1600 hours by the time I matriculate next year if that helps.
I've shadowed a podiatrist (really a group of them) for around 20 hours.

I applied to every school but CSPM, waiting on them to verify my transcripts. Think I'm going to get in somewhere?

Last edited:
Your low GPA and high MCAT should balance each other out. You'll probably get some interviews.

My only concern would be that your sGPA is awfully close to that 2.75 cutoff that some schools shoot for. AACPMAS may very well do some dubious calculations that put your science GPA below the threshold and that would limit you. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Ok sounds good, I'm not particularly sure which school I want to go to as of now anyways. What do you think are the chances of them offering interviews before I get my LoRs in? I've been trying to contact some of my old professors for some but I haven't seen most in a few years. You don't think it would be ok to substitute them with letters from docs I've worked with more recently? Or another way to put I guess if how important are the letters, if I can get a letter from a professor, how good would it have to be?

Ok sounds good, I'm not particularly sure which school I want to go to as of now anyways. What do you think are the chances of them offering interviews before I get my LoRs in? I've been trying to contact some of my old professors for some but I haven't seen most in a few years. You don't think it would be ok to substitute them with letters from docs I've worked with more recently? Or another way to put I guess if how important are the letters, if I can get a letter from a professor, how good would it have to be?
Well for most of the schools it's REQUIRED that you have two letters from science professors and one from a podiatrist. I've only gotten an interview invite from Temple so far and the email made it sound like you might not need to have your science professor LORs in before an interview but they do want your LOR from a podiatrist in before the interview. But even then it seemed like you can get offered an interview without the podiatrist LOR, you just need to get the LOR before you schedule an interview date.

Anyway, you will need all of these letters at some point so you should probably go see those professors in person.

Hello everyone! I've currently been thinking about attending podiatry school, but Im not sure if my stats are good enough.

I have 3.7+ Masters chemistry Gpa, and 2 years of organic chemistry research.

I have an 18 MCAT. However, I plan on retaking the exam in January.

I have multiple volunteering experiences (including being an executive member for a Timmy Global Health organization).

Also, do I need to job shadow a podiatrist? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks everyone!

Hello everyone! I've currently been thinking about attending podiatry school, but Im not sure if my stats are good enough.

I have 3.7+ Masters chemistry Gpa, and 2 years of organic chemistry research.

I have an 18 MCAT. However, I plan on retaking the exam in January.

I have multiple volunteering experiences (including being an executive member for a Timmy Global Health organization).

Also, do I need to job shadow a podiatrist? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks everyone!
Your MCAT is low, but you already know that. If you can get at least a 20 on the retake you will probably be fine. It is required that you shadow a podiatrist and get a letter of recommendation from them, although there is no minimum number of shadowing hours required.

Hi Everyone,

Been trying to follow this thread as best as I can, it has helped out considerably. I have posted it in a while back and thought I would get a second opinion from everyone since I now have my applications in. I have applied to 4 of the schools, which I regret not applying to all of them, but I am trying to stay somewhat local to Michigan.

I talked to an individual at Kent State today in regards to my application. Currently my MCAT is my one major weakness and is just bad luck and timing for me. I retook it in mid January and scored a 19 (was extremely under the weather), it was low and I understand that. I had a 23 four years ago, which I know is past the 3 year mark, but the individual at Kent said they cannot record that but would take that into advisement.

So my real question is what chances do I honestly stand of getting in, especially with applying earlier in the cycle? My GPA is my strength beyond a doubt, so I am hoping they average each other out. My undergrad overall GPA is 3.47, sGPA is 3.27, my master degree is at 3.87. My masters is in public health from a large Big Ten School.

I have extremely solid letters of recommendation from my graduate research adviser, along with the podiatrist I have shadowed. I have 2 years of undergrad research, a year and a half of graduate school research (which I am still continuing), 200 plus hours of volunteering, and 100 hours of shadowing. If I had to retake the MCAT I would but that sounds as good as fingers running down a chalk board......

Looking forward to everyone's opinions!

Hi Everyone,

Been trying to follow this thread as best as I can, it has helped out considerably. I have posted it in a while back and thought I would get a second opinion from everyone since I now have my applications in. I have applied to 4 of the schools, which I regret not applying to all of them, but I am trying to stay somewhat local to Michigan.

I talked to an individual at Kent State today in regards to my application. Currently my MCAT is my one major weakness and is just bad luck and timing for me. I retook it in mid January and scored a 19 (was extremely under the weather), it was low and I understand that. I had a 23 four years ago, which I know is past the 3 year mark, but the individual at Kent said they cannot record that but would take that into advisement.

So my real question is what chances do I honestly stand of getting in, especially with applying earlier in the cycle? My GPA is my strength beyond a doubt, so I am hoping they average each other out. My undergrad overall GPA is 3.47, sGPA is 3.27, my master degree is at 3.87. My masters is in public health from a large Big Ten School.

I have extremely solid letters of recommendation from my graduate research adviser, along with the podiatrist I have shadowed. I have 2 years of undergrad research, a year and a half of graduate school research (which I am still continuing), 200 plus hours of volunteering, and 100 hours of shadowing. If I had to retake the MCAT I would but that sounds as good as fingers running down a chalk board......

Looking forward to everyone's opinions!
Kent specifically has accepted lower MCATs, I'm sure they'll give you a chance to interview at the very least. Your GPAs and ECs should carry you.

Do you want to know what? NO ONE ON HERE KNOWS WHAT THE EFF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Do you want to know what? NO ONE ON HERE KNOWS WHAT THE EFF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Well of course not, because there is such great variability in all applications. Even if someone tells us how their application looks it's not like we know what every single application that they're competing against will look like. Probably, the most common advice given on here though is for these prospective applicants to contact the admissions departments directly and ask them these questions, which is definitely good advice. I think that the people who come here to ask us this stuff have a certain expectation and that is for opinions only. It's not like they think we're adcom. It's not like they're gonna expect to call up a school after they get rejected and say "but bobtheweazel said...". And if nothing else, I think we can at least put a lot of these students at ease, because most of their applications really are in the acceptable range. Many of them just need a little extra assurance from us because maybe they don't have friends or family who are going through the stressful situation of applying to med schools, but at least they have us. If you're not gonna be helpful in some way and you don't have a question yourself, please go away.

Reactions: 3 users
As Bob said, we are here to give opinions. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. You will see that most individuals are told to call school admissions for better insight. I appreciate you giving a reminder to those who might be new that we don't know much.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, been a lurker on this site for ages, decided to finally throw an account together. I just received my diploma a week ago from my undergrad university (hooray) and am now starting to put together my Podiatry applications. Here's a quick breakdown, I trust your expertise will help me out in getting the reality of acceptance a little more grounded.

• University of Michigan - English Literature major
  • GPA: 3.5 overall / 3.0 science
  • MCAT: 23
    • I know this is low - I was only able to take it once in January of this year before the new test rolled out. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to study for it with all of my other courses. I'm still considering re-taking it, however if I did I would have to also take a Psychology and Sociology course to fulfill the new requirements, so I'm definitely weighing the options.
  • I was part of multiple honors/service societies as well as some other outreach & volunteer programs.
  • LORs from a science professor, an English professor (my major), an MD and (soon) a DPM.
  • I did a years worth of research in sports medicine.
  • I spent a year shadowing a neurologist who worked in sports medicine, which led me to discovering podiatry in the same department.
  • I've spent a month shadowing a podiatrist, I had to stop to finish up my last summer course, plan on meeting up with him a little more before I ask for a LOR.
Give me some honest opinions on my current state, whether I should double down and take the MCAT again, etc. I plan on getting my application out by the end of October though, if I decide to go through with these numbers, I just want to get a little more shadowing in.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, been a lurker on this site for ages, decided to finally throw an account together. I just received my diploma a week ago from my undergrad university (hooray) and am now starting to put together my Podiatry applications. Here's a quick breakdown, I trust your expertise will help me out in getting the reality of acceptance a little more grounded.

• University of Michigan - English Literature major
  • GPA: 3.5 overall / 3.0 science
  • MCAT: 23
    • I know this is low - I was only able to take it once in January of this year before the new test rolled out. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to study for it with all of my other courses. I'm still considering re-taking it, however if I did I would have to also take a Psychology and Sociology course to fulfill the new requirements, so I'm definitely weighing the options.
  • I was part of multiple honors/service societies as well as some other outreach & volunteer programs.
  • LORs from a science professor, an English professor (my major), an MD and (soon) a DPM.
  • I did a years worth of research in sports medicine.
  • I spent a year shadowing a neurologist who worked in sports medicine, which led me to discovering podiatry in the same department.
  • I've spent a month shadowing a podiatrist, I had to stop to finish up my last summer course, plan on meeting up with him a little more before I ask for a LOR.
Give me some honest opinions on my current state, whether I should double down and take the MCAT again, etc. I plan on getting my application out by the end of October though, if I decide to go through with these numbers, I just want to get a little more shadowing in.

Thanks!
I think you've got some reasonable stats there. Overall GPA is good, MCAT is average to slightly below average for all the schools, and science GPA is low. You should have a shot at places like Kent, Temple, Barry, and NYCPM. Possibly DMU, AzPod, and the two Cali schools if you absolutely destroyed the interview (assuming they'd give you one with their smaller class sizes and generally higher stats).

Good luck!

I think you've got some reasonable stats there. Overall GPA is good, MCAT is average to slightly below average for all the schools, and science GPA is low. You should have a shot at places like Kent, Temple, Barry, and NYCPM. Possibly DMU, AzPod, and the two Cali schools if you absolutely destroyed the interview (assuming they'd give you one with their smaller class sizes and generally higher stats).

Good luck!

Thanks! I know my science GPA is lower than it should be, this is in part due to trying to adjust to difficult level science courses at my University while also trying to maintain good grades. I also took a few extra upper level science courses that weren't required for Podiatry School application, the grades for these brings the over sGPA down.

And I've done my research and already thought that schools like AzPod and DMU might have been a long shot, thanks for confirming. I'll still apply once I get all my stuff together though.

Hello!

I applied to AZPOD, Scholl, and Kent. Really hoping for AZPOD though!

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: ~3.5
MCAT: 502
Experience: EMT (ambulance work and remote clinic work), a lot of extra curricular service
Podiatry experience: about 15 hours of shadowing a Pod in the clinic and OR.

I just sent in my app today so I am waiting for everything to get verified. My last transcript (out of 3) was sent today. Do you think I still have a shot at AZPOD? How long do you think before my app gets verified? I just hope I'm not too late!