This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the post
No problem, man. If you're still in school then a final semester with like As - Bs would really seal the deal for you. Just look through older threads and check out some of their stats and see how you compare.

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA:3.55/sGPA:3.6
MCAT:489
HCE:7 yrs in physical therapy as a trainer
Other work experience: Personal trainer for 6 years and implemented 3 fitness programs from the ground up and also Personal Training Director
Shadowing:multiple professions including: Pod,MD,PA-C
Former United States Marine NCO and held leadership positions.
ECs:Food bank volunteer, multiple 5K races volunteer, helping kids with homework etc.
I know my MCAT is low but hopefully my gpa with help balance it out!!!! Thoughts!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
GPA: 3.53 Cgpa, 3.44 Sgpa. (upward trend)
MCAT: 493 (second try)
EC: 30 hours shadowing physician, served on a soup kitchen at a homeless shelter, participated in a leadership program where interacted with mentally challenge adults, member of many different clubs at my university such as the business club, investment club, student muslim society, pre-health, ect

My father was diagnosed with cancer during freshman year of college so it's been really stressful for me (which is why my gpa is low and why I don't have many EC). Unfortunately he wasn't able to defeat cancer... he passed away last fall. I'm currently a super senior, but will be graduating this fall.

Interested in applying to Kent State.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA:3.55/sGPA:3.6
MCAT:489
HCE:7 yrs in physical therapy as a trainer
Other work experience: Personal trainer for 6 years and implemented 3 fitness programs from the ground up and also Personal Training Director
Shadowing:multiple professions including: Pod,MD,PA-C
Former United States Marine NCO and held leadership positions.
ECs:Food bank volunteer, multiple 5K races volunteer, helping kids with homework etc.
I know my MCAT is low but hopefully my gpa with help balance it out!!!! Thoughts!

Any chance for an mcat retake?

Your Gpas and ECS are stellar. No joke.

Any way you could bump that mcat another 2-3 points?

Either way, go ahead and apply. Your grades and ECS by themselves should get you invites.

GPA: 3.53 Cgpa, 3.44 Sgpa. (upward trend)
MCAT: 493 (second try)
EC: 30 hours shadowing physician, served on a soup kitchen at a homeless shelter, participated in a leadership program where interacted with mentally challenge adults, member of many different clubs at my university such as the business club, investment club, student muslim society, pre-health, ect

My father was diagnosed with cancer during freshman year of college so it's been really stressful for me (which is why my gpa is low and why I don't have many EC). Unfortunately he wasn't able to defeat cancer... he passed away last fall. I'm currently a super senior, but will be graduating this fall.

Interested in applying to Kent State.
You'll get in.

Make sure you shadow and get a rec letter.

Your gpa and mcat are well within average of matriculation

Yes, you will.

Go ahead and apply. You might not have the option of being picky with schools though, but you'll get in somewhere.

Has anybody ever gotten in with that low of an MCAT? I am really hoping that my GPA and ECs will make up for some of it but I just dont know what to expect.

Has anybody ever gotten in with that low of an MCAT? I am really hoping that my GPA and ECs will make up for some of it but I just dont know what to expect.
The GPAs and ECs are solid, so take your chances. Unless you want to attend a particular school and you don't meet their cutoff.

If I was personally in your position I would apply to all 9 schools. Someone will take you.

And if you have to retake, then just do it.

The GPAs and ECs are solid, so take your chances. Unless you want to attend a particular school and you don't meet their cutoff.

If I was personally in your position I would apply to all 9 schools. Someone will take you.

And if you have to retake, then just do it.

I have already submitted my application to all 9 and have received interview invites from Scholl, Barry and CSPM but I am worried that they are just going to turn me down after the interview because the MCAT is so low and then I will have wasted the money traveling to these places. Just freaking out a little.

I have already submitted my application to all 9 and have received interview invites from Scholl, Barry and CSPM but I am worried that they are just going to turn me down after the interview because the MCAT is so low and then I will have wasted the money traveling to these places. Just freaking out a little.
I think you should register to take the MCAT again. I'm not an expert, but I think it'll be tough with a 483, just based off averages and stuff. Then when you interview you can tell them you're already registered to take it again. Cause I'd be willing to bet they'd ask you to retake anyways. But again I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of NaCl.

If they didn't want you, they wouldn't bring you in for an interview. Your stats aren't bad. If I was a betting man, I would put up $100.00 that at least one of the schools that asked you to come for an interview would take you w/o asking you to retake.

Don't freak out, man. Stay optimistic!

I think you should register to take the MCAT again. I'm not an expert, but I think it'll be tough with a 483, just based off averages and stuff. Then when you interview you can tell them you're already registered to take it again. Cause I'd be willing to bet they'd ask you to retake anyways. But again I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of NaCl.
hehehe cheeky :D

Yes, you will.

Go ahead and apply. You might not have the option of being picky with schools though, but you'll get in somewhere.

Any chance for an mcat retake?

Your Gpas and ECS are stellar. No joke.

Any way you could bump that mcat another 2-3 points?

Either way, go ahead and apply. Your grades and ECS by themselves should get you invites.

You'll get in.

Make sure you shadow and get a rec letter.

Your gpa and mcat are well within average of matriculation
I agree with all of this. Good advice.

I agree with all of this. Good advice.

THE MOD HAS SPOKEN.

No seriously don't worry @Foot&AnkleDoc

They wouldn't have sent you an invite if they weren't interested in you. It means you at least passed their academic screeners and they want to see how you are as a person.

They may lightly suggest that you retake the mcat for however more points you can score, but it will not be a make or break.

Go in and interview buddy. You never know until you try. You're worth it, that's why they sent you an invite. Believe that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys was wondering what my chances are at any Podiatry school. I graduated from Villanova University in May 2015
My MCAT is a 498.
My overall GPA is a 3.7 and my science GPA is a 3.45.
Some of my experiences:
1) I volunteered in a surgicenter for two years and watched several surgeries from their podiatrist. I have also chatted with him on several occasions of what it's like to be a podiatrist. The only downfall is I haven't shadowed one in their office but I plan to do that in these next several months.
2) I volunteered in a hospital for 6 months.
3) I ran cross country and track
4) Was an Americorp member
5) Worked as a biology teacher in South Philadelphia
Also is it too late to apply? Another question in terms of letters of recommendations...I don't know how my letter writers addressed the letters but I'm scared they mention medical school and I don't know how to get around that.

Hey guys was wondering what my chances are at any Podiatry school. I graduated from Villanova University in May 2015
My MCAT is a 498.
Some of my experiences:
1) I volunteered in a surgicenter for two years and watched several surgeries from their podiatrist. I have also chatted with him on several occasions of what it's like to be a podiatrist. The only downfall is I haven't shadowed one in their office but I plan to do that in these next several months.
Also is it too late to apply? Another question in terms of letters of recommendations...I don't know how my letter writers addressed the letters but I'm scared they mention medical school and I don't know how to get around that.
I was under the impression that the term "medical school" was all encompassing including podiatry school, DO school. Can someone correct me on this?

I was under the impression that the term "medical school" was all encompassing including podiatry school, DO school. Can someone correct me on this?
That's what I thought too but I wanted to get some clarification before I have my advisor send out all my letters of recommendation lol

My MCAT is a 498.
Some of my experiences:
I'm pretty sure my science letters say medical school on them. I don't think it is a problem that they don't specify. But I just submitted my letters and haven't interviewed yet, so I don't know for sure.

I'm pretty sure my science letters say medical school on them. I don't think it is a problem that they don't specify. But I just submitted my letters and haven't interviewed yet, so I don't know for sure.
Thanks for the response. I just sent an email to my health advisor to see...Im hoping and assuming it's all the same...otherwise I'm SOL. But I'm guessing if yours are addressed that way then others are too.

My MCAT is a 498.
Some of my experiences:

Stats are above average. Mcat is fine.

Email your profs and have them change it to Podiatry. Better safe than sorry.

With your stats, applying around this time of year is no problem.

My MCAT is a 498.
Some of my experiences:

You definitely have a very solid chance; at any school you'd like. :thumbup:

In my opinion you should apply to all DPM schools, theres 9 of them. They are all so unique.
Your GPA is around the tilting point of a yes/no could go either way
MCAT is unknown
The shadowing and EC's are good.

When you mean my GPA is at a tilting point, do you mean the current (3.1) GPA or the future GPA that is predicted to increase 0.1-.2 points?

I have been rejected by Temple, DMU and SMU because of MCAT. Western said that they would look at my application again in January to determine how competitive their class was and then make their decision. Still have interviews scheduled for Scholl and Barry but am afraid that they are just going to tell me to retake the MCAT after the interview. I haven't heard anything from Kent or NYCPM don't know if I will get any other invites from them, it isn't looking that way. I am kind of in panic mode, has anyone else been in this situation and I would love any insight. I am not picky about what school I go to.

I have been rejected by Temple, DMU and SMU because of MCAT. Western said that they would look at my application again in January to determine how competitive their class was and then make their decision. Still have interviews scheduled for Scholl and Barry but am afraid that they are just going to tell me to retake the MCAT after the interview. I haven't heard anything from Kent or NYCPM don't know if I will get any other invites from them, it isn't looking that way. I am kind of in panic mode, has anyone else been in this situation and I would love any insight. I am not picky about what school I go to.

If I were you, I would just re-take the MCAT.

The acceptances are very strange this year. I got into western, cspm, kent etc, and for some reason Barry sent me a straight up rejection, Dont take it to heart.

what were your stats?

I dont even remember anymore, something like a 3.2-3.4 gpa between the cgpas and sgpas, and 497 mcat, 26 mcat, and 517 MCAT (just got it).
I wasnt interested in going to barry anyway though, Im just saying acceptances are weird. I got pretty decent scholarships at the schools I applied to as well.

I dont even remember anymore, something like a 3.2-3.4 gpa between the cgpas and sgpas, and 497 mcat, 26 mcat, and 517 MCAT (just got it).
I wasnt interested in going to barry anyway though, Im just saying acceptances are weird. I got pretty decent scholarships at the schools I applied to as well.

Thats a great mcat score..Congrats! How long did you study for and what did you use? :)

Dang... that mcat though. :O
Congrats!

Thats a great mcat score..Congrats! How long did you study for and what did you use? :)

I used the standard princeton classes, then I registered for some online test program (gold standard mcat prep or something), the khan academy notes for psych and sociology, and literally a biochemistry textbook.

MCAt: 499
GPA: 3.51, Science GPA: 3.58
Medical scribe in ER for half a year, several mission trips, student athlete four years, surgery watches in Ecuador, currently an intern at a cancer research facility and an MPH student, and just started shadowing a podiatrist. However, was on academic probation at school for drinking at a dry campus, once while in a foreign country and once while 21 on campus.

With those stats is it possible to apply in December/January once I have more shadowing hours and recommendation letter?

Last edited:
MCAt: 499
GPA: 3.51, Science GPA: 3.58
Medical scribe in ER for half a year, several mission trips, student athlete four years, surgery watches in Ecuador, currently an intern at a cancer research facility and an MPH student, and just started shadowing a podiatrist. However, was on academic probation at school for drinking at a dry campus, once while in a foreign country and once while 21 on campus.

With those stats is it possible to apply in December/January once I have more shadowing hours and recommendation letter?

You're fine.

Get ps and app turned in.

Letters can be sent in after app unless you're dead set on Scholl

GPA 3.94
MCAT 498

I'm applying to all nine schools. What are my chances for an interview from even a couple schools?

GPA 3.94
MCAT 498

I'm applying to all nine schools. What are my chances for an interview from even a couple schools?

I had a similar MCAT score but a lower GPA (3.6 cum and 3.3 science). I applied to 6 of the schools and got interview invitations to all of them. I was also accepted with scholarship to all of the schools that I interviewed with.
I think you'll be fine! Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an Interview invite to Temple....so nervous about it! I have a question for those who have interviewed at Temple. In the email it says Temple will provide lodging accommodations. That means they'll provide the hotel? I'm just asking because this is the first time I've heard of a graduate school provide housing for interviewers at a hotel lol Also can anyone tell me what the interview is like?

Just got an Interview invite to Temple....so nervous about it! I have a question for those who have interviewed at Temple. In the email it says Temple will provide lodging accommodations. That means they'll provide the hotel? I'm just asking because this is the first time I've heard of a graduate school provide housing for interviewers at a hotel lol Also can anyone tell me what the interview is like?

Yes, they will let you stay up to two nights (i believe) at the double tree. I wasn't able to because there was a conference going on and there were no rooms available. So just talk to them about it! Interview was the most chill out of all of them for me, don't even worry about it haha. Message me if you have any more specific questions, i'd be happy to answer.

Hey guys i am taking the MCAT again on January 28th. I hope to do well. Would it be late if i applied around the beginning of March???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys i am taking the MCAT again on January 28th. I hope to do well. Would it be late if i applied around the beginning of March???

You should be fine as long as you have competitive stats, especially with the schools with the larger class sizes.

What plant said.

Focus on killing that MCAT. The higher your score the greater your chance regardless of how late you apply.

Hey y'all,

1) Western, and AZPOD.
2) 3.5 for both GPA's.
3)Still studying (My biggest concern is if I have time apply this cycle if I take it in Feb. or March. If not, then I'll apply this summer for 2018).

4)Shadowed 2 different Pod's for over 100 hours. One of which was pretty hands on since she just had me do some of the simple stuff when her MA was busy.
5/6) Have been going to a clinic in Mexico (volunteer based) for a year. Taking vitals and shadowing MD's and PA's. ~ 120 hours.

Both schools have small class sizes and competitive stats.

Get your MCAT to a 500+ and you should be seeing interview invites from both.
However, this does not guarantee admission.

Are you sure you would not like to apply to at least 1 or 2 more backup schools?
Your stats are very competitive, but its nice to play it safe.

I don't mind other schools. It's just that I want to go to a school that teaches alongside traditional medicine (MD/DO) because a lot of patients that come in to the doctors I shadow usually have multiple things wrong with them and I feel it would be beneficial for all if I thought like a "regular" doctor first and a pod second if that makes sense.

I may just have to face the fact that I have to wait until next cycle since I waited so long for the MCAT.

I see.

DMU also has that same format in which they take their courses with DO students.

Focus on your MCAT and apply to all 3.

You should be competitive for all 3 pending your MCAT.

Sup folks.

1. Applying to all 9 (actually want to go to scholl, DMU, Kent, and maybe Temple [in that order if relevant])
2. cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.55
3. 512 MCAT
4. Only got to shadow 1 pod for 20 hours
5. Shadowed a family doc 30 hours and an anesthesiologist 20 hours
6. 500+ hours volunteering and 1500+ work experience

I guess looking at my numbers my chances seem pretty good. If not great. But I'm so bad (like very very bad) at interviewing and that makes me so worried.

also one other random ish question I had. I was wondering how long after an interview schools generally let you know what their decision is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Sup folks.

1. Applying to all 9 (actually want to go to scholl, DMU, Kent, and maybe Temple [in that order if relevant])
2. cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.55
3. 512 MCAT
4. Only got to shadow 1 pod for 20 hours
5. Shadowed a family doc 30 hours and an anesthesiologist 20 hours
6. 500+ hours volunteering and 1500+ work experience

I guess looking at my numbers my chances seem pretty good. If not great. But I'm so bad (like very very bad) at interviewing and that makes me so worried.

also one other random ish question I had. I was wondering how long after an interview schools generally let you know what their decision is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys :)

You'll get invites to all plus scholarship.

Nail the interview. Even if you don't you'll still get an acceptance. But nail it for the sake that you'd have to work on those skills during clinicals and when you're a resident. If you're still in school, ask pre health or business department for mock interviews. Interviews themselves are very laid back.

You'll hear decision within 2 to 7 days. Some take longer, up to 2 weeks.

You'll get invites to all plus scholarship.

Nail the interview. Even if you don't you'll still get an acceptance. But nail it for the sake that you'd have to work on those skills during clinicals and when you're a resident. If you're still in school, ask pre health or business department for mock interviews. Interviews themselves are very laid back.

You'll hear decision within 2 to 7 days. Some take longer, up to 2 weeks.

I'm not actually in school and plus have a few interviews coming up. I'll definitely have to work on improving those skills for the future but for now I guess I'll Just have to try my best.

Thanks so much for the feedback homie. Much appreciated.

3.5 OGPA (upper trend)
3.4 SGPA
Volunteered at ER for 6 months, volunteered at a wound clinic for 4 months, did a Mexico mission trip for building homes, did a church mission trip for 2 years, speak Spanish, have worked as a CNA, an MA, and now a dental assistant.

Whats a good score to shoot for on the MCAT?

3.5 OGPA (upper trend)
3.4 SGPA
Volunteered at ER for 6 months, volunteered at a wound clinic for 4 months, did a Mexico mission trip for building homes, did a church mission trip for 2 years, speak Spanish, have worked as a CNA, an MA, and now a dental assistant.

Whats a good score to shoot for on the MCAT?

Your chances are very good.

Aim for 500, at least, IMO.