(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your research experience is terrific. Step 1 is below average though, which could be a problem for you. However, in derm, pedigree and networking matter so you've got some opportunities. Start investing time with the derm faculty at your institution for those all-important letters. In this field, as opposed to others, letters are absolutely huge. A QUALITY letter from a big name and you will be set, assuming you're relatively competitive. Quality letters from unknown faculty make a huge difference as well. If you can make inroads with your derm faculty, and assuming you do well throughout the rest of your clerkships, I would be optimistic regarding your chances to match on the west coast. Take step 2 early and rock it. Cultivate those relationships and do well on your shelf exams and clerkship evals and you'll have a good shot. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a third year interested in derm, however my school does not have a home dermatology program and is not a big research school. Here are my stats:

Step 1: 253
Pre-clinical grades: honored 16/20 courses (not sure about AOA yet)
3rd year grades: Honors in Psych (only rotation I've completed so far)
Research: 1 basic science research publication, 3 poster presentations, 1 clinical non-derm publication in progress, 1 derm case report in progress
Med School: Mid-low tier, no derm program

Any thoughts on how to improve my application? Thanks!

Hi friends,

I'm a 4th year with a recent revelation to become a dermatologist. It is somewhat late In the game but am wondering if you could provide some insight on what my chances are for this year.

Step 1: 235
Step 2: 249
3rd and 4th year grades: All honors
AOA: Yes
Research: 3 papers in pediatrics

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I began to read SDN recently, but haven't posted till now. I'm interested in applying to dermatology and would appreciate any advice any of you may have. Thanks!

My Stats:

Med School: Primary care focused. Not in Top 50. No home Derm Program.

Step 1: 249/99
Step 2: Was advised not to take till October of application year.
Pre-clinical Grades: Above 90% in both years 1 and 2. (Honors only available in pharmacology, which I honored)
Clinical Grades: 3/6 honors.
AOA: Nominated, but uncertain of chances of being AOA.
Extra Curriculars: Co-president of Derm Club and Student Research club. Treasurer of local free clinic. Orientation leader. Medical school interviewer. Big sib/little sib mentor.

Publications: 1 publication in Expert Derm Review.
Presentations: 1 oral presentation at School Research Day.

Research experiences:

Was part of a BS/MD program, and wanted to get some experience doing research work full time before starting medical school. Went to a nearby med school's derm department (Top 10 program) and did clinical research for 8 months.

Currently between years 3 and 4 of medical school, and back at the nearby derm department doing a year of clinical research. I'm hoping to get as many publications as possible this year, and learn as much dermatology as I can.

Thank you for reading. I would appreciate any advice.

So I'd say that you're definitely going down the right track. Very impressed with the research you've already done. Also the fact that you're also doing an extra year before the match. One thing that I would recommend is that you reevaluate the advice about taking step 2 in October. A huge percentage of Derm applicants do this, which is fine. However, everyone at my school told me that I need to take it early. And I did. I was so nervous that I'd screw up my chances and wanted to simply match my step 1 score of 254, which is marginal for Derm. Anyways, I took step 2 CK in July and somehow ended up with a 279. In derm, board scores are pretty much viewed as a ‘cut off' but getting a very high board score can only help your chances. I can't predict what's going to happen, but I will say that I feel slightly better sitting on a 279 step 2. That's not going to get me any interviews in itself, but I think there is something to be said for an applicant who takes the initiative to take step 2 even when they are sitting on a ‘safe' step 1 score. More importantly, 2 board scores that are in "derm" range is going to look much more consistent to programs. This may be even more important for you since you don't have a home Derm program. Your research already looks great as it is. you're going to be an outstanding applicant, so might as well try and make yourself look even better by having an outstanding step 2 score. Bottom line, I'd take it in June or July if I were u

no chance, you'll never make it . . . .

. . . . maybe

So I’d say that you’re definitely going down the right track. Very impressed with the research you’ve already done. Also the fact that you’re also doing an extra year before the match. One thing that I would recommend is that you reevaluate the advice about taking step 2 in October. A huge percentage of Derm applicants do this, which is fine. However, everyone at my school told me that I need to take it early. And I did. I was so nervous that I’d screw up my chances and wanted to simply match my step 1 score of 254, which is marginal for Derm. Anyways, I took step 2 CK in July and somehow ended up with a 279. In derm, board scores are pretty much viewed as a ‘cut off’ but getting a very high board score can only help your chances. I can’t predict what’s going to happen, but I will say that I feel slightly better sitting on a 279 step 2. That’s not going to get me any interviews in itself, but I think there is something to be said for an applicant who takes the initiative to take step 2 even when they are sitting on a ‘safe’ step 1 score. More importantly, 2 board scores that are in “derm” range is going to look much more consistent to programs. This may be even more important for you since you don’t have a home Derm program. Your research already looks great as it is. you’re going to be an outstanding applicant, so might as well try and make yourself look even better by having an outstanding step 2 score. Bottom line, I’d take it in June or July if I were u

thank you so much for the response. i'm going to look into step 2 more closely.

Hello,

Wondering if anybody could give me some input on my application for residency:

Medical school: Top 5
Pre-clinical grades: P/F system
Clinical grades: Honors in every rotation
Step 1: 244
Research: 1 abstract in Radiation Oncology, will be starting a 10-month Dermatology research project.
Extracurriculars: diverse / leadership position / founder of athletic club

Looking to match in NYC / Boston.

Any input? Thank you so much!

Hello,

Wondering if anybody could give me some input on my application for residency:

Medical school: Top 5
Pre-clinical grades: P/F system
Clinical grades: Honors in every rotation
Step 1: 244
Research: 1 abstract in Radiation Oncology, will be starting a 10-month Dermatology research project.
Extracurriculars: diverse / leadership position / founder of athletic club

Looking to match in NYC / Boston.

Any input? Thank you so much!

Bump.

You should check out charting outcomes on nrmp website.

Seems you have a very solid application. I don't know about the NYC Boston area, but I would think that you will get several interviews there.

Current MS3 here. Am strongly considering derm but really want to stay on the east coast.

mid level east coast MD school (top 50).
Step 1 ~270
MS1/MS2: all honors and some awards for being at the top of the class.
MS3: all honors so far,
Research: a basic science publication as well some derm case reports and a text book chapter.
AOA status: don't know yet.

Do I have a decent shot at good academic programs in NY/Boston. What can I do to increase my chances, besides getting more pubs (which I'm working on). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
if someone doesn't have any clinical honors, but the rest of their application is solid (but nothing like a 1st author nature pub etc), would you guys discourage them from applying to derm?

Hey everyone,

I am a 3rd year med student and just recently decided that I want to pursue a career in dermatology. I know it is so difficult to predict the outcome of the match in dermatology since it is so competitive, but here is what I'm working with to date: straight A's through 1st and 2nd year with A's in all of my rotations thus far (psych, neuro, internal med, and ob/gyn), academic excellence award for first 2 years, research project unrelated to derm from the 1st 2 years of med school (submitted and pending publication), a poster presentation at a national geriatrics meeting, a poster presentation for our school's research symposium, pending another poster presentation, founded my school's geriatric interest group and helped/attended multiple community service events, USMLE Step 1 score 242, just signed up for Step2 CS in June. If anyone could comment on whether it would be worth a shot at applying with my stats thus far I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I am a bit worried since I am apart of the founding classes of my (U.S.) med school (i.e. we will not be fully accredited until early this coming year). We don't currently have a derm department, unfortunately, so I am planning on doing a couple away electives. We will hopefully be starting an AOA chapter this coming year, so hopefully before applying it will be in full force.

Finally, I just recently got into contact with a derm mentor and will be working on some case reports, hopefully within the coming weeks.

I am aware that coming from a new school without an established derm department may lead me to be fighting an uphill battle. I am really interested in this field after doing some shadowing during break. Any comments/advice, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays!

I am a third year student very interested in Dermatology. First year of med school I have all Passes and one High Pass. Second year I have 4 High Passes and the rest Pass. So far I have completed ObGyn (Honor), Family (High Pass), and about to wrap up Medicine. My Step 1 is 245. I am at a low ranked med school. I do not have any research published. I would greatly appreciate any feedback about my chances of matching and what I should do to make my application look good.

Step 1: 220
Step 2 score pending
All passes in classes and clerkships (no honors yet, clerkship grades pending)
7-8 articles, most of them derm-related and most of them first-author
Significant research, leadership, and community service experience.
Know 2 derm docs who would give me great recs, but no program directors or anything
Connections with handful of 'well-known' derm docs through my 2 docs
Want to do several away electives

Currently I'm an upper level resident in a highly competitive surgical subspecialty in the U.S. I'm seriously considering a switch into dermatology but I'm not sure what my chances are, especially since I'm several years removed from the match process.

Here's my info. Please let me know what you think.

Graduate of top 10 Ivy League Med School
All HPs during 3rd year
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 239
Step 3: 230
Doris Duke fellow in med school
Several 1st author publications in surgical journals
Successfully competed for two national research fellowships during residency (roughly $30,000 in grant money for both fellowships)

Any thoughts?

Currently I'm an upper level resident in a highly competitive surgical subspecialty in the U.S. I'm seriously considering a switch into dermatology but I'm not sure what my chances are, especially since I'm several years removed from the match process.

Here's my info. Please let me know what you think.

Graduate of top 10 Ivy League Med School
All HPs during 3rd year
Step 1: 245
Step 2: 239
Step 3: 230
Doris Duke fellow in med school
Several 1st author publications in surgical journals
Successfully competed for two national research fellowships during residency (roughly $30,000 in grant money for both fellowships)

Any thoughts?

Hurdle 1: Be able to prove to people that you're truly interested in Derm and not just sick of surgery life in search of greener pastures.

Hurdle 2: Making Connections

Hurdle 3: Finding a program that can cover you since you will run out of PGY funding.

You'll likely need to churn out a few Derm pubs, since research now seems to be expected opposed to mere app padding.

I met a person who successfully switched from gen surg into derm when I was on the interview trail. So definitely can happen.

Current MS3 here. Am strongly considering derm but really want to stay on the east coast.

mid level east coast MD school (top 50).
Step 1 ~270
MS1/MS2: all honors and some awards for being at the top of the class.
MS3: all honors so far,
Research: a basic science publication as well some derm case reports and a text book chapter.
AOA status: don't know yet.

Do I have a decent shot at good academic programs in NY/Boston. What can I do to increase my chances, besides getting more pubs (which I'm working on). Any advice greatly appreciated.

It would be more problematic if you were on one coast and wanted to move to the other. As long as you're not truly a social robot as your UN might suggest, you should have a decent chance afaict.

I would love input as well for what I should try and accomplish early in MS4 year as well as chances, should I go for it or not.

Med School: mid tier
Basic Science Years: Not great. Avg grades.
Step 1: 241
Step 2: plan to take early, classmates tend to do well here, good CS preparation
Clerkships so far: As in everything so far except Psyc, Med and Surg pending
Research: undergrad cognition publication, basic science neuro/aging research between M1/M2 presented at student research session and national aging conference. Abstract but no full journal.
Career interests: Academic all the way. Would love to work as physician educator, with some research. Love aging bio.

Your thoughts?

I would love input as well for what I should try and accomplish early in MS4 year as well as chances, should I go for it or not.

Med School: mid tier
Basic Science Years: Not great. Avg grades.
Step 1: 241
Step 2: plan to take early, classmates tend to do well here, good CS preparation
Clerkships so far: As in everything so far except Psyc, Med and Surg pending
Research: undergrad cognition publication, basic science neuro/aging research between M1/M2 presented at student research session and national aging conference. Abstract but no full journal.
Career interests: Academic all the way. Would love to work as physician educator, with some research. Love aging bio.

Your thoughts?

everrrrrrrryyyyybody says "I want to do academics..." Better have something to back it up. As far as your stats, it's going to be somewhat uphill but not impossible. Others have gotten in w/ weaker stats.

I am a third year student very interested in Dermatology. First year of med school I have all Passes and one High Pass. Second year I have 4 High Passes and the rest Pass. So far I have completed ObGyn (Honor), Family (High Pass), and about to wrap up Medicine. My Step 1 is 245. I am at a low ranked med school. I do not have any research published. I would greatly appreciate any feedback about my chances of matching and what I should do to make my application look good.

get some advocates (i.e. connections); do research, show enthusiam, and get letters.

STEP 1 - 261/90, junior AOA, 2nd year grades - all Honors, 3rd year grades - 1 Honors and 2 HP (3 more rotations pending)
Publications - 1 first authored abstract and a 1st authored publication underway in a different area

Until recently, I was interested in Cardiology. Didn't think my stats would be good enough for Derm. I am half way through my MS3 (at a med school in the Northeast). The Derm program at my home school is pretty strong but I am concerned whether the late timing of my interest is going to be detrimental.

Do you think I have a chance to match for Dermatology given that I have no research in Derm yet? I am interested in all east coast programs from MD through MA.

Input from Derm residents, fellows, and MS4s would be great.

Last edited:
You should be ok. Get to know the faculty within your home program,, get a couple of case reports and/or involved with a big project and you'll be in great shape.

Hi everyone,

A little about me -
I have outstanding on all my rotations
Step 1: 252
I have done lots of volunteer work and have different scholorships that I have won three years in a row.

So as I dug deeper into Derm, I noticed on FREIDA that lots of applicants have published articles. I have no research and nothing published, I am fully capable of this and WISH we were told this is a big part of getting in prior to third year.
Am i still able to get into a derm program? Does the published research HAVE to be about DERM? Or can I use case study research from when I volunteered in villages in mexico?
Any advice?

Last edited:
Do you have a home derm dept? If you do I would contact a few faculty members asap and see if there are any projects/case reports they want written up. Also plan on doing a couple away rotations at outside institutions in the fall.

Derm is a really small community so its about making strong connections. Start with your home program and try to find a good mentor who can help you through the process.

Thanks to those who replied. Nice to know that I still have a chance at Derm.

my milkshake brings all the derm applicants to the yard...

Last edited:
Hello all!!!

I too would appreciate any advice about my chances. I am currently an MS3

Usmle 237
Top 15 med school with a p/f system
2 1st author case reports published in derm
2 clinical research projects in derm, but nothing published
Currently working on 2 review papers in derm, 1 where I will be 1st author, the other 2nd
1 psych clinical research project with abstract

Any advice would be great :)

Hey guys,
MS3 here from a mid to low tier private med school in the Midwest.
Can anyone shed some light on my chances of matching in Dermatology?

Step 1: 249
Step 2: ---- (ps when is the best time to take this?)
M1/M2 year: 3.75 GPA overall for basic sciences
M3 clerkships: OBGYN- A, PSYCH- A, FAMILY- A, PEDS- A, all with excellent dean's letter comments. Medicine, EM, Neuro, Surgery still in progress.
AOA- haven't heard about this yet
Extracurriculars- tutoring, derm interest group, peds interest group, the biggest any thing is that I am on the executive board for a free clinic in chicago that is run by all 6 med schools here together- this is actually more time consuming and requires much more dedication than any old free clinic that you just volunteer at sporadically if that counts for anything, also on several committees within the clinic

Interested in derm from the very beginning; did clinical research for 1 year at a top tier med school under the head of the dept. there but got no publications since all of my projects were large longterm clinical trials still in progress or were cancelled before they were submitted to publication due to low enrollment or other issues.
Planning to do 3 derm away electives and possibly also a derm research elective early in the M4 year (before interviews) to remedy this problem by attempting to publish a few case reports.
Also, my research mentor really liked me but she is SO busy and frantic that I am not sure she remembers her own name sometimes let alone mine, and I don't think she will have time to write me a LOR either.
I would like to match in MN, WI, or Chicago area but honestly I will go ANYWHERE.

What do you think??? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS- do you think it is more important to do medicine Sub-I, derm research elective, or take Step 2 before interview season? I am trying to plan out my M4 schedule now and I am realizing I can't fit all 3 in b4 interviews start.

THANKS!

Hey guys,
MS3 here from a mid to low tier private med school in the Midwest.
Can anyone shed some light on my chances of matching in Dermatology?

Step 1: 249
Step 2: ---- (ps when is the best time to take this?)
M1/M2 year: 3.75 GPA overall for basic sciences
M3 clerkships: OBGYN- A, PSYCH- A, FAMILY- A, PEDS- A, all with excellent dean's letter comments. Medicine, EM, Neuro, Surgery still in progress.
AOA- haven't heard about this yet
Extracurriculars- tutoring, derm interest group, peds interest group, the biggest any thing is that I am on the executive board for a free clinic in chicago that is run by all 6 med schools here together- this is actually more time consuming and requires much more dedication than any old free clinic that you just volunteer at sporadically if that counts for anything, also on several committees within the clinic

Interested in derm from the very beginning; did clinical research for 1 year at a top tier med school under the head of the dept. there but got no publications since all of my projects were large longterm clinical trials still in progress or were cancelled before they were submitted to publication due to low enrollment or other issues.
Planning to do 3 derm away electives and possibly also a derm research elective early in the M4 year (before interviews) to remedy this problem by attempting to publish a few case reports.
Also, my research mentor really liked me but she is SO busy and frantic that I am not sure she remembers her own name sometimes let alone mine, and I don't think she will have time to write me a LOR either.
I would like to match in MN, WI, or Chicago area but honestly I will go ANYWHERE.

What do you think??? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS- do you think it is more important to do medicine Sub-I, derm research elective, or take Step 2 before interview season? I am trying to plan out my M4 schedule now and I am realizing I can't fit all 3 in b4 interviews start.

THANKS!

Looks good. Probably a lot of your personal statement and interview convos will be about the clinic since it seems to be a big part of what you do. Just being involved in it probably won't have too much of a bearing of getting a spot or not, tbh.

Of the three things, I would say the research is most important, followed by Step 2 (a few schools req this for interview), and lastly med SubI (unless you're really set on a Med-Derm program for some reason).

Hurdle 1: Be able to prove to people that you're truly interested in Derm and not just sick of surgery life in search of greener pastures.

Hurdle 2: Making Connections

Hurdle 3: Finding a program that can cover you since you will run out of PGY funding.

You'll likely need to churn out a few Derm pubs, since research now seems to be expected opposed to mere app padding.

I met a person who successfully switched from gen surg into derm when I was on the interview trail. So definitely can happen.

Have you looked into Derm Research Fellowships???

I am in the process of switching over to derm from rads and am currently in one of these fellowship programs. They are great for people who want to switch over.

Hello everyone,

I'm a latecomer to the skin scene, in the midst of a research year doing GI research. I'd been a medicine gal through and through, but in the midst of a general medicine elective recently, I found myself drawn to the complex cases with derm manifestations (late late HIV with Kaposi's, molluscum contagiosum and candidiasis).

Part of me wants to stamp out this spark of interest because I feel LATE, but another part is hoping I can make it happen.

Tell me what you must - am I deluded to think I can match somewhere, assuming derm clerkship goes well? Definitely considering applying for med/derm. Any suggestions welcome.

Step 1: 255 / Step 2: 260
P/F first two years
3/9 honors third year (honors for primary care, internal medicine, medicine sub-i), rest all high pass
4 posters (one prize winner), several abstracts, couple first author pubs, more in the works -- none in derm
Patient safety work abroad and in the US
Student clinic director
Medical website cofounder, editor
Top-tier medical school in the south

Other stuff:
Runner, baker, eater extraordinaire
Occasional skincare assistant to my make up artist sister
Occasional singer in a rap duo

Where do I go from here, dear readers?

i decided in july (one month into ms IV).
start publishing.

Hello everyone,

I'm a latecomer to the skin scene, in the midst of a research year doing GI research. I'd been a medicine gal through and through, but in the midst of a general medicine elective recently, I found myself drawn to the complex cases with derm manifestations (late late HIV with Kaposi's, molluscum contagiosum and candidiasis).

Part of me wants to stamp out this spark of interest because I feel LATE, but another part is hoping I can make it happen.

Tell me what you must - am I deluded to think I can match somewhere, assuming derm clerkship goes well? Definitely considering applying for med/derm. Any suggestions welcome.

Step 1: 255 / Step 2: 260
P/F first two years
3/9 honors third year (honors for primary care, internal medicine, medicine sub-i), rest all high pass
4 posters (one prize winner), several abstracts, couple first author pubs, more in the works -- none in derm
Patient safety work abroad and in the US
Student clinic director
Medical website cofounder, editor
Top-tier medical school in the south

Other stuff:
Runner, baker, eater extraordinaire
Occasional skincare assistant to my make up artist sister
Occasional singer in a rap duo

Where do I go from here, dear readers?

get a pithy case report out asap....

It seems as if most people have multiple papers in derm - are these all as first author? Clinical projects or case reports?

Is it still valuable to have a few late author papers (what I have ahah)

Ok, I've been hesitant to post here because I don't want to have my dreams crushed, but can anyone offer some insight?

Mid-tier school with derm program
Step 1: 259
AOA: yes
3/3 clerkship honors so far
research: involved in a project but don't expect a publication anytime soon. No case reports, posters, etc.
ECs: plenty of teaching experience, some performances

thoughts? I'm gonna try and get in touch with faculty asap to get in on some case reports. any advice is appreciated!

I had similar stats and no derm research (although I did have some in another field) this time last year when I decided to do derm. I got in on a project and worked super hard over the spring and summer. I got enough interviews (hopefully, fingers crossed) but mostly at clinically focused programs. If you're a normal person, do a little bit of research, and do an away, you should have no trouble matching as long as you're not trying to get into Harvard/UCSF type places.

Hi I was wondering if someone could comment on my chances: I'm in the middle of my third year doing derm lab research
top 10 med school with derm program
Step 1: 265
AOA: don't know yet, but my school uses CVs, clinical grades, input from previous AOA (basically very subjective)
Basic Science: P/F
Clerkships: All honors except 1 high pass in peds; no derm rotation yet, plan for september but do have a good relationship with derm chief for possible lor
research: currently doing HHMI lab research on a melanoma project....but this is what I'm mostly concerned about...was hoping to get a derm publication but at the halfway point in the year, my main goal has just switched to getting an abstract for the sid meeting! maybe something will work out by summer fingers crossed haha....also have 2 basic science breast cancer publications from undergrad but not first author
ECs: some volunteer, DIG, global health, AMWA leadership

My main concerns are when I should take step 2...i'm thinking of delaying until the winter...and the other is connections since i wont be able to do my derm rotation at my home institution until september because of the fellowship ending time and having to do my subi. any advice?

thanks!

Hi I was wondering if someone could comment on my chances: I'm in the middle of my third year doing derm lab research
top 10 med school with derm program
Step 1: 265
AOA: don't know yet, but my school uses CVs, clinical grades, input from previous AOA (basically very subjective)
Basic Science: P/F
Clerkships: All honors except 1 high pass in peds; no derm rotation yet, plan for september but do have a good relationship with derm chief for possible lor
research: currently doing HHMI lab research on a melanoma project....but this is what I'm mostly concerned about...was hoping to get a derm publication but at the halfway point in the year, my main goal has just switched to getting an abstract for the sid meeting! maybe something will work out by summer fingers crossed haha....also have 2 basic science breast cancer publications from undergrad but not first author
ECs: some volunteer, DIG, global health, AMWA leadership

My main concerns are when I should take step 2...i'm thinking of delaying until the winter...and the other is connections since i wont be able to do my derm rotation at my home institution until september because of the fellowship ending time and having to do my subi. any advice?

thanks!

90+% chance of match

take step 2 in winter

letter from new attending is pretty worthless unless they're a true champion

do an away at another institution in july or august, get a letter there and do a case report

be nice

M3 who was planning on peds, recently fell in love with dermatology and am couples matching

Mid-tier school w/derm program
Step 1: 255-259
AOA: Nominated for Junior AOA
Class Rank: top 10%
Clinical: 3/5 Honors so far, 2/5 HP
Research: 2 Unrelated research projects with 2 poster presentations, No derm-related research or publications
ECs: No derm-specific ECs yet

My main concern is my lack of derm-research complicated by couples matching. SO is applying to less competitive specialty, and he is very competitive.

I have been very hesitant to post on here and am wondering if I should try to contact my dermatology dept for research/get to know the faculty? Or if this would be too much of an uphill battle and I need to pick a less competitive specialty? What about applying to a backup specialty or taking a year off for research and hoping to be accepted in same region as SO?

Thanks for your input and feedback!!

Last edited:
M3 who was planning on peds, recently fell in love with dermatology and am couples matching

Mid-tier school w/derm program
Step 1: 255-259
AOA: Nominated for Junior AOA
Clinical: 3/5 Honors so far, 2/5 HP
Research: 2 Unrelated research projects with 2 poster presentations, No derm-related research or publications
ECs: No derm-specific ECs yet

My main concern is my lack of derm-research complicated by couples matching. SO is applying to less competitive specialty, and he is very competitive.

I have been very hesitant to post on here and am wondering if I should try to contact my dermatology dept for research/get to know the faculty? Or if this would be too much of an uphill battle and I need to pick a less competitive specialty? What about applying to a backup specialty or taking a year off for research and hoping to be accepted in same region as SO?

Thanks for your input and feedback!!

Absolutely (to the bolded).

I had nearly identical credentials/scores as yours, and decided on Derm around March or April of M3 (in other words, you're still ahead of where I was in third year with regards to deciding on derm). When I realized Derm was what I wanted, I contacted the chair of the department and he was able to hook me up with one of the attendings who had research going on and suggested I come by and shadow in the clinic when I could. I spent much of April/May/June finding an afternoon here or there to shadow in derm clinic and work on a research project (and a small case report with one of the residents). Did a home derm elective in July, and then two away electives, and ended up with more derm interviews than I could handle and matched my #1 choice.

Couples matching may complicate things SLIGHTLY, but you are absolutely not excluded from derm at this point. Just be very proactive about things from here on out, and good luck!

Hey everyone...I'm a 3rd year who about 2 months ago decided to pursue derm as a career.

Newly fully accredited MD school in southeast, no derm department
Have derm mentor
Step 1: 242
AOA: we don't have an AOA chapter yet but plan to have one before I graduate. I was awarded the academic excellence award along with 5 others after 2nd year
Basic Sciences: all A's
Clinical: All A's, pending surgery rotation
Research: 4 poster presentations unrelated to derm, 1 article submitted unrelated to derm (1st author), working on 2 derm case reports currently and have one out for publishing (1st author).
ECs: lots of VA volunteering, tutoring with geriatrics related anatomy (which included a section on signs of aging skin), volunteer at derm clinic for Down syndrome children, clothing drives for homeless vets, educational events for the elderly regarding healthy aging, founder of geriatrics interest group, leadership role in another biomedical ethics group, peer mentor
4th year electives: scheduled to have 2 away derm rotations early in the year

If anyone can comment on where I stand I would greatly appreciate it! I plan to take Step 2 CK at the end of June. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey gang, I'm not going to douche it up in here by telling you my board scores, research pubs, posters and the like. What I would like help on is selecting programs for derm. Honestly, I don't know where to begin, there isn't a derm department at my school and I'm trying to sift through programs where I can/should do a derm elective.

I've been looking over FREIDA and I don't even know where to begin. Any recommendations on researching derm programs!?

Much appreciated guys, thanks.

Me: MS3 half-way through 3rd year

I would look at big programs where you can get exposure to large departments and research. Places like Harvard, Penn, SF, and Miami deserve a look just because a strong letter from someone in the dept can take you far. Also research opportunities at these places can't hurt either.

I would look at big programs where you can get exposure to large departments and research. Places like Harvard, Penn, SF, and Miami deserve a look just because a strong letter from someone in the dept can take you far. Also research opportunities at these places can't hurt either.
Thanks, that's good advice. Honestly I'm a bit (actually, a lot bit) intimidated applying for an away at some of these big places for fear of being scoffed at! But, making a good impression, working hard and securing a letter from someone in the dept. would be invaluable. I'll give it more consideration.

Another physician recommended to just have to look at the programs on an individual basis. The national ranking lists mean nothing in terms of being an applicant and it's the only way to really know the ins-and-outs of a program second to talking with residents and alumni.

I am a 3rd year from a lower-to-mid tier school with a derm program who will probably not get AOA due to coasting through my first 2 years; probably in the middle of the pack right now in terms of class ranking.

My step 1 is 245. I have one derm publication, 3 derm poster presentations at research conferences (one of which I am trying to publish with the help of derm faculty at my school), and I am working on 2 more derm projects, one of which will definitely result in publication.

I have also published a book unrelated to derm, and I have a couple of other medical research poster presentations unrelated to derm.

I have received 2 Honors and 1 high pass in the 3 clerkships I've completed, and I'm working on finishing strong with honors for my last 3 clerkships.

ECs: I have significant extracurricular activity on a national level.

Would like to know what my chances are? I am mostly worried that no AOA and coming from a low-to-mid tier school will shut some doors. I would also like to know if there is anything else I can do to strengthen my application, and how realistic I should be when applying. Thanks!

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited: