This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Would volunteering at Haven Hospice or an Alzheimer's home count as patient interaction?

I would actually prefer to do this over regular hospital volunteering. I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do it! I had the same problem. Answered phones and filed things while volunteering at the hospital. Had a couple of other volunteer gigs outside the hospital more on the side of public health work that I enjoyed a lot more. Actually got to talk to people. Although it didn't replace clinical volunteering for me, it gave me a much better understanding of the community/things to talk about at interviews. Just try and find something you enjoy and can speak passionately about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering as an EMT is also a great way to interact with patients! You might want to supplement it with shadowing or volunteering at a hospital to get the doctor-observation part of clinical experience, though.

clinical research may also fit into that category depending on the type of research you do.

Some universities have organizations where you can travel to parts of US or abroad to give medical treatment. Our school had a global medical brigade chapter