Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onamission!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, first time poster here. I have read through many threads on here going back as far as 2004 on this topic I am still in desperate need of help with my situation.

I am a US grad, 220’s step 1 and 2, passed CS, good clinical grades, and excellent strong letters of recommendations from well-known top surgery attendings, matched at a well-known, university-affiliated community categorical general surgery program and starting PGY1 year. I have made a huge mistake and I am regretting both choosing general surgery and my current program. I had a hard time deciding between GS and anesthesia in med school, and had a 2 week anesthesia elective that wasn’t very indicative of the actual field (my school didn’t have a residency program). I ultimately chose surgery because I really liked the procedural aspect and liked the operating room. I want to do critical care and now realize that I still like doing procedures, surgical patients and the OR, just not operating.

I am now looking to start CA1 year on July 2017 after completing my surgery internship. I plan on working hard and learning as much as I possibly can during this year, doing as well as I can on evals/absite and taking step 3. I know that many surgery residents have switched into anesthesia, but here are my specific questions:

1. What are my chances of getting a CA1 spot for July of next year? I have no geographical restrictions; just want to train at a solid academic program.

2. Do I enter the match again this year, and submit ERAS? Do I apply to advanced spots or categorical spots? I would rather not repeat intern year, but will if I have to.

3. How do I find out of match CA1 spots? I plan on going through the match data and calling unfilled programs. Is this the way to do it? Do I have to let my program know before I start calling around?

4. When do I tell my program? The PD doesn’t seem like the most supportive, and it sounds like I would need a LOR from them?

5. Would I submit my strong surgery LOR’s or get new ones? I have no idea how I would get an anesthesia letter?

6. How much does step 3 matter in this? I plan on taking it soon and doing as well as I can.

Thank you all very much for your time, ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Apply you will match, and im not being fictitious, its really that simple. Your challenge will be finding time during a surgery internship year to interview programs. Apply both adv and categorical, and keep an ear out for programs with vacant ca-1 spots....they're out there.

Apply you will match, and im not being fictitious, its really that simple. Your challenge will be finding time during a surgery internship year to interview programs. Apply both adv and categorical, and keep an ear out for programs with vacant ca-1 spots....they're out there.

Try to make the most of where you are and ideally have a change of heart and stay put. Even an unpleasant seaworthy ship is better than a sinking ship.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I have seen a lot of surgery to anesthesia swaps happen. Like someone said, the main issue is finding time off for interviews. As far as "sinking ship" mentioned above, I will pay more attention to your personal preferences and lifestyle choice.

I am very disappointed after reading thread this to find out you are in a human surgery residency.

Very misleading title.

At any rate, good luck.

Reactions: 12 users
I am very disappointed after reading thread this to find out you are in a human surgery residency.

Very misleading title.

At any rate, good luck.

I'll be honest, I was thinking the same thing. My only question was going to be, "Cat anesthesia or human anesthesia?"

1- very good, assuming you interview well and are able to go on a good number of interviews (5-6+? Not sure what the magic number is). CA1 advanced R slots exist exactly for people like you.

2- yes, absolutely submit this year. I would think apply to both R (physician only, advanced slots that start CA1 year July 2017) and categorical (would repeat intern yr) and advanced only (A? You would start CA1 Jul 2018, so have a year off), but rank the R slots first.

3-5- sorry, not sure

6- I don't think that it matters all that much , but don't blow it if you take it.

Good luck!

Hello, first time poster here. I have read through many threads on here going back as far as 2004 on this topic I am still in desperate need of help with my situation.

I am a US grad, 220’s step 1 and 2, passed CS, good clinical grades, and excellent strong letters of recommendations from well-known top surgery attendings, matched at a well-known, university-affiliated community categorical general surgery program and starting PGY1 year. I have made a huge mistake and I am regretting both choosing general surgery and my current program. I had a hard time deciding between GS and anesthesia in med school, and had a 2 week anesthesia elective that wasn’t very indicative of the actual field (my school didn’t have a residency program). I ultimately chose surgery because I really liked the procedural aspect and liked the operating room. I want to do critical care and now realize that I still like doing procedures, surgical patients and the OR, just not operating.

I am now looking to start CA1 year on July 2017 after completing my surgery internship. I plan on working hard and learning as much as I possibly can during this year, doing as well as I can on evals/absite and taking step 3. I know that many surgery residents have switched into anesthesia, but here are my specific questions:

1. What are my chances of getting a CA1 spot for July of next year? I have no geographical restrictions; just want to train at a solid academic program.

2. Do I enter the match again this year, and submit ERAS? Do I apply to advanced spots or categorical spots? I would rather not repeat intern year, but will if I have to.

3. How do I find out of match CA1 spots? I plan on going through the match data and calling unfilled programs. Is this the way to do it? Do I have to let my program know before I start calling around?

4. When do I tell my program? The PD doesn’t seem like the most supportive, and it sounds like I would need a LOR from them?

5. Would I submit my strong surgery LOR’s or get new ones? I have no idea how I would get an anesthesia letter?

6. How much does step 3 matter in this? I plan on taking it soon and doing as well as I can.

Thank you all very much for your time, ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have an Anesthesiology Residency at your medical center? If yes, then go speak with the program director and see if he/she has room for another CA-1 next year. If not, maybe the PD can make a few phone calls and see if any programs in your region has openings.

As for bailing out of surgery that is your decision. If you hate it and can't see yourself doing surgery for a career then by all means go into Anesthesiology. The previous posters advice about submitting for ERAS and listing advanced and categorical makes good sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Terrible decision. You'll have a job as a surgeon; 3 years from now you may NOT have a job as an anesthesiologist unless you do 9 fellowships.

It seems he wants to do critical care. For that purpose, anesthesia is an excellent pathway.

Terrible decision. You'll have a job as a surgeon; 3 years from now you may NOT have a job as an anesthesiologist unless you do 9 fellowships.

I have money that says we will be on this forum 3 years from now and still waiting for this prediction to happen. You know how I know? Because it has been said for the last 35 years. I love how medical doctors who btw have one of the LOWEST risks of joblessness freak out the most about job insecurity.

"....a two week anesthesiology elective that wasn't indicative of the field".....

I might argue that an Anesthesiology RESIDENCY may not be indicative of the field. I would say apply for anesthesiology if you want but give it your all and keep an open mind during this surgical PGY 1, you never know how you might feel about it come January. Anesthesia is probably one of the easier ways to get to critical care, but I personally would much rather be a surgical critical care guy but the road is harder (trauma fellowships, etc). It's a tough decision and I was in the same boat, but in reverse (matched anesthesia but wanted to do surgery). I did my PGY 1 and just went ahead to anesthesia, but really enjoyed my year even if it was a pain in the ass.

You should really try to get an idea from everyone you interact with about life after residency because as you read on this board, it's not going to be what you think. Residency is much different than practice. At least in surgery you are pretty close to the way you would practice, especially in the later years of residency.

I would start back to the reasons why you chose to match in surgery and explore that for a while. IF that still doesn't work for you then pursue anesthesiology and don't be afraid to go to you PD once you've made that decision because the last thing your surgical colleagues and attendings want around them is someone who doesn't want to do surgery (as a PGY 1 I found myself doing a lot of cases by the sheer fact they thought I wanted to switch to surgery. the others who were dead set on other fields didn't get these chances)

Keep an open mind

I'm not totally against this response even if it's an extreme hot take. There will likely be a job for said graduate and yes, if he wants to be a cut above others should do a fellowship, but still may not end up with the anesthesia job he/she envisioned.....and THAT will make you hate your career choice. If I could cut 50% of what my job is out of my life, I would LOVE my job, but instead, I just have to tolerate it. That's sad.

I have money that says we will be on this forum 3 years from now and still waiting for this prediction to happen. You know how I know? Because it has been said for the last 35 years. I love how medical doctors who btw have one of the LOWEST risks of joblessness freak out the most about job insecurity.

I ain't freaking out at all, kid....just not in my nature. I'm smilin' and doggy stylin'....it's what I do.

Care to elaborate?

Preferring anesthesia to surgery when everyone makes the same amount, no one gets respect, no one controls his own life, etc as a resident is one thing. Prefering it as an attending in the real world is something else entirely.

My biggest question would be, why after only what, 2 days (!) are you so unsatisfied with your chosen field? This was literally posted on Sunday the 3rd, a full two days after July 1. You give some strong language, which is totally fine, but I am just curious as to some more details as to how you are so sure, especially so soon.

Anesthesiology has always been a field that accepts and attracts transfers from other specialties, largely because of limited exposure in medical school paired with unfulfilled expectations during a different residency. It's a great field which many enjoy, and continues to grow.

I cannot comment on needing anesthesiology-specific letters, but I think such things wouldn't hurt. I would absolutely speak with the Anesthesiology PD at your institution, assuming you have a program (most centers do). Before doing so be willing to answer more specific questions about WHY - I would definitely wait until at least August before contacting him or her. Get through your first rotation or two first.

If there are ways to find out which programs didn't fill, find those out and contact them.
(That is what I did back in the 90's before internet).
Some programs purposely don't fill all spots so that they can get ex-surgery residents.
Get as much as you can from the PGY-1 year surgery, its a great year and you will learn tons.