Possible to practice EM again after time away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocHoliday84

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious if anyone has known of a EM physician who was able to practice in a different specialty for a prolonged time (years) and then come back and get hired doing emergency medicine? I am considering doing palliative care as my exit strategy. I am residency trained in EM and will have been practicing 10 years in EM by the time I leave. I want to stop practicing EM mostly because I don't to do nights anymore, and I want weekends off with my family when my daughter is home from school. The thing is, I of course have invested a lot of time and effort to develop my skills in EM, and I am hoping that it will still be available to me as something I can go back to in the future if I want to. Hoping to not have a reason to do that, but I want the option. Technically, I will still be board certified in EM, and will be practicing clinical medicine, but I am curious if extended time away would be a problem for coming back. Curious what others think.
 
Having done exactly that... 12+ years in a busy ED and then transitioned to hospice... you may not want to go back.

I will freely admit that I've lost a lot of my tolerance to run my ass off for 10 hours. I don't have the moral fortitude to intubate great grandpa. I love my practice, and having socked enough away, don't *need* the EM paychecks any longer.

To truly do palliative well, you may need a fellowship. I happened to find a niche not only in hospice (no fellowship for me), but doing very-very-very end of life care requiring inpatient level symptom management. I have new skills now... and while I can still throw in lines and tubes, the thing is, I don't really want to. Now I will also admit that I phased my "retirement" from EM gradually, as it has taken me 2-3 years to come to this acceptance. I'd probably miss it a lot more if I'd gone cold turkey.

I have only been out of the ER completely (not counting my weird oncology gig that I'm also phasing out of) for less than a year, but cut back big time about 2 years ago. Now that I'm much more focused on specific areas, well, it's different. I really love it. Really really. And while I miss a juicy STEMI or a nursemaid's elbow, I certainly don't miss it that much.

I'll technically still be ABEM certified until 2029, FWIW.
You can PM if you want more details.
 
I know a few people who have been out of EM for 2-3 years and came back. They did things that were completely unrelated to medical field. It didn't seem like they had any difficulty getting a job somewhere.

I am sure there are many hospitals that will not hire you. but with the amount of hospitals that need desperate coverage, you can always just locum for 3-6 months and work your way back to the more desirable areas.