Question about Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

XCourtSmash

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that the Personal Statement is suppose to be about why you want to go to MD/DO school, but should you explicitly state that?

I had to withdraw from a PhD program, so the way I organized my statement was:
1st paragraph - My background, growing up, why I went into grad school.
2nd paragraph - What happened during grad school, why I left, what I did afterward.
3rd/final paragraph - Doctor I've shadowed, my experiences with death and patient contact.

Does that seem alright or should I focus more on talking about why I want to be a doctor instead of my "journey" to realizing I wanted to practice medicine.

Also should I explicitly state I want to join MD or I want to join DO school because?
 
If your journey has specific examples of why you're choosing medicine, use them. If it's "blah blah I went to school and tried this and that was okay but I still wanted to do more, blah blah" then no. Find specific things that pushed your drive to go into medicine, only use what directly relates to your choice.