Question Regarding MCAT Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

davemaster223

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a real quick question as I'm currently preparing for taking the MCAT in September. The problem that I'm encountering is which the actual math required on the exam. I'm taking Berkeley review at the moment and they do provide little tips like memorizing between 1/5 & 1/12 but when it comes down to doing exponents of decimals or multiplying decimals by scientific notation #'s I'm having the worst time. It seems to really be negatively impacting my studying as even If I understand something conceptually (such as equilibrium), if I cant do the math I hold no chance at solving the problem. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.


Best Regards,
David
 
Stop using the calculator. No matter how long it takes you to get the right answer. Pretend like the calculator doesnt exist. You will be surprised as to how quickly youll pick up on those calculations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 I have done that for almost a full year through gen chem and o chem and it has made a huge difference. I do as much as humanly possible in my head and do not rely on calculators, your brain can pick it up. There are so may threads on here regarding how to do this, my favorite is checking out a 5th grade math book from the library, my friend who is calculator dependent did that and said it has made a huge difference.
Stop using the calculator. No matter how long it takes you to get the right answer. Pretend like the calculator doesnt exist. You will be surprised as to how quickly youll pick up on those calculations.