Random Question - What's it take to get banned from SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RhinB

PGY3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry a random question I had.

SDN, from what I've been reading through, is generally filled with positive, encouraging people and the negative, discouraging people eventually get banned. When you look at other sites however, banning takes a lot more than a few negative or mean comments.

I'm not saying SDN bans people unnecessarily, I'm just curious on how SDN bans people. Is it an accumulation of X # of negative posts/comments? How BAD does it have to be?

Just wondering because I haven't seen the criteria for posting things. Like an ethics or etiquette criteria.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) trolling to irritate ppl

2) saying the truth about the disadvantages of DO degree and lower admission standards to obtain one

- u have to remember the founder of this site is a DO, why do u think there is such a koombayah DO is gr8 and if u dare talk bout it imma BAN u "mentality here

-- the dude is one of the best lobbyists for the AOA i've ever seen, what incredible foresight to make the leading premed forum in 1998 and push the agenda hardcore

Reactions: 1 users
A lot, considering what goes on in the SP section of the lounge :ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)

2) saying the truth about the disadvantages of DO degree and lower admission standards to obtain one

- u have to remember the founder of this site is a DO, why do u think there is such a koombayah DO is gr8 and if u dare talk bout it imma BAN u "mentality here

-- the dude is one of the best lobbyists for the AOA i've ever seen, what incredible foresight to make the leading premed forum in 1998 and push the agenda hardcore

welp, it was nice knowin ya

Reactions: 16 users

I'm confused. There is clear acknowledgement of doors narrowing with a DO degree for competitive specialties. Also, pretty clear that lower GPA/MCAT students are more competitive for DO schools.

A lot, seeing as I'm still here lol

edit: racism, death threats, and intentionally revealing a lot of personal info about someone to hurt them will do it in one post. also repeated trolling and necrobumping.

death threats? what the hell...

Last edited:
Sorry a random question I had.

SDN, from what I've been reading through, is generally filled with positive, encouraging people and the negative, discouraging people eventually get banned. When you look at other sites however, banning takes a lot more than a few negative or mean comments.

I'm not saying SDN bans people unnecessarily, I'm just curious on how SDN bans people. Is it an accumulation of X # of negative posts/comments? How BAD does it have to be?

Just wondering because I haven't seen the criteria for posting things. Like an ethics or etiquette criteria.

It's discussed in closed doors by the mystical elite SDN volunteers. Basically, just don't break any rule listed in the Terms of Service and you won't have any worries of getting banned or put on probation.

Supposedly some forums are nicer than others, but preallo has a bad rep for having immature, ultracompetitive premeds with "HMS or bust" mentality so it's tightly moderated with zero tolerance for TOS violation. Pre-osteo, nontrad and reapp forums are very mature and well-mannered.

Just be professional and you're fine. After all, you are applying to a professional career ;)

SDN is actually the most lenient forum I go on / have frequented to any reasonably involved degree. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I always thought SDN was very lax unless you were intentionally being disruptive (to the point that really no one is going to disagree with the decision to probation/ban).

be clever = probation
ill get back to you on what = ban

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To actually answer OP though, whenever you get reported it notifies mods, then they decide what to do (probation/suspend/account ban/IP ban)

Look up posts by mrh125, theBatman, and the legendary streampaw.

Repeated and gross outright immaturity also triggers the banhammer. It has a satisfying smack, I have to admit.

Being off topic can land you a ban. That's why FML has been on post hold for over two months, and the reason I've gotten some of my warnings. The other half were for being too risque.

Being off topic can land you a ban. That's why FML has been on post hold for over two months, and the reason I've gotten some of my warnings. The other half were for being too risque.
Do we know what happened to dermviser?

From what I've seen, the SDN mods are very intelligent about bans, or maybe it's just that my annoyances align with theirs. People I've seen banned often seem like they have no business being here. ie, they aren't seriously considering a career in medicine, they aren't using the forum correctly, they're being immature, abrasive, or otherwise offensive..etc.

If you really wanted to get banned you could make a second account, don't post with it, and use it solely to like every single post you've ever made and ever will make to astronomically increase your like count.

It would probably get pretty suspicious pretty quickly, but even if the new account is banned you still get to keep your likes!

Also congrats @efle on 3000 posts! I'm sure some of them were actually helpful!

If you couldn't tell this post is entirely facetious

If you really wanted to get banned you could make a second account, don't post with it, and use it solely to like every single post you've ever made and ever will make to astronomically increase your like count.

It would probably get pretty suspicious pretty quickly, but even if the new account is banned you still get to keep your likes!

Also congrats @efle on 3000 posts! I'm sure some of them were actually helpful!

If you couldn't tell this post is entirely facetious

Yeah SDN is okay I guess, I made a sig since I might stick around / become active on here

And you don't need that spoiler, I have yet to see you say anything remotely mean or even sassy to anybody

Loose cannons + arrogance usually does the trick ;)
Occasionally one will survive for a couple years and few thousand posts though

Yeah SDN is okay I guess, I made a sig since I might stick around / become active on here

And you don't need that spoiler, I have yet to see you say anything remotely mean or even sassy to anybody

Occasionally one will survive for a couple years and few thousand posts though

I know I have said at least a couple (slightly) mean things!

dude i just spent the past hour reading this. i need to sleep. aaaaaah

I would definitely be interested in reading more threads like this. It's better than TV!

I would definitely be interested in reading more threads like this. It's better than TV!
idk bout that. i just started watching the wire

I know I have said at least a couple (slightly) mean things!

No you haven't you're a big softie

idk bout that. i just started watching the wire
Sopranos > wire. Both excellent.

Just guess I'll add, I know many of the troll accounts are the same (hilarious) person coming back in different guises, including making up new identities. What I really wonder is how often the mods notice someone is a returning troublemaker vs they just always quickly say something banworthy. Must be tough to keep people down with VPNs making IP banning useless. There's probably only a total of like 3-4 trolls out there that stir up all the ruckus.

No you haven't you're a big softie

Sopranos > wire. Both excellent.

Just guess I'll add, I know many of the troll accounts are the same (hilarious) person coming back in different guises, including making up new identities. What I really wonder is how often the mods notice someone is a returning troublemaker vs they just always quickly say something banworthy. Must be tough to keep people down with VPNs making IP banning useless. There's probably only a total of like 3-4 trolls out there that stir up all the ruckus.
mods should compile all troll thread links into 1 sticky so i can waste more of my time

i was thinking of watching veep after the wire

mods should compile all troll thread links into 1 sticky so i can waste more of my time

i was thinking of watching veep after the wire
That's a very different flavor of show! For other crime / complex and tight dialogue shows there's the obvious breaking bad and house of cards, I loved west wing, other dark and intense HBO stuff includes boardwalk empire and deadwood

If you search around, @Etzio has a bunch of threads; a couple of them are about getting into Columbia P&S, HMS, etc! :D

Agree completely. You can be sarcastic, you can be argumentative, you can even be pretty much certifiably crazy, and still maintain your posting privileges.

Only the actual trolls, the truly offensive, and the idiots get banned.

To be fair she's been warned like 20 times to stop getting off topic in allo ;)

Voluntary exile after a suspension (and possibly coming to the realization that he had an internet addiction)
I guess that makes sense...18,000 posts in 5 years must have taken up a lot of time a resident/med student doesn't have

Hmmm maybe it's because I've generally just been on the Allo-specific school threads that I haven't seen that many trolls/offensive people.

But there have been some people I've seen on those threads who are I would categorize as "Annoying af", then get banned after a few weeks. I do like to see them getting banned but am also curious as to what ultimately put them over the edge lol.

Follow-up question: Are bans lifetime or over a period of time or both depending on the situation? I want to see if the bans do anything to the users...change their attitude or whatever.

I think whole Psychiatric case reports could be written and published on some of the pathologies displayed by SDN trolls/banned users.

One of the trolls made repeated new accounts and kept getting outed and banned. He couldn't help but revert to form, even after trying to "hold it in", like a Tourette's patient trying not to tic or curse. But his last antic were to send an offensive PM to one of our most helpful SDNers because the latter had simply liked a post that criticized the troll.

Another phenotype displayed is a person coming here looking for affirmation of their notions (like the thread above given as an example). The poster doesn't get the answer he's looking for, and immediately lashes out at people giving realistic advice. Or, the poster starts to argue against reason, and then lashes out.

The unstable ones seem to go off the rails very rapidly.

Yet another phenotype I see here is similar to one I see on a hobby board I frequent. I call them "Lennies". "Lenny" was a guy on the other board who would never, ever contribute anything, but always asked insipid questions. After finally getting called on it, he got banned. The same people do it here...it's like they're allergic to the "search" function.

And yes, bans are lifetime. Immaturity is forever, though.

Hmmm maybe it's because I've generally just been on the Allo-specific school threads that I haven't seen that many trolls/offensive people.

But there have been some people I've seen on those threads who are I would categorize as "Annoying af", then get banned after a few weeks. I do like to see them getting banned but am also curious as to what ultimately put them over the edge lol.

Follow-up question: Are bans lifetime or over a period of time or both depending on the situation? I want to see if the bans do anything to the users...change their attitude or whatever.

Warnings can be effective only if a poster cares about their ability to post here and they are self aware. I try to be mindful of my posts nowadays because I'd rather not be banned. For the less mindful, a temporary post hold or suspension can make them change their ways, but, from the few I've seen they usually actually go one of three ways: they're so butthurt they never post again, they come back and get immediately permabanned for the same stuff, or they are away so long that they realize they don't really need SDN in their life and don't come back.

Another phenotype displayed is a person coming here looking for affirmation of their notions (like the thread above given as an example). The poster doesn't get the answer he's looking for, and immediately lashes out at people giving realistic advice. Or, the poster starts to argue against reason, and then lashes out.

The unstable ones seem to go off the rails very rapidly.

The funny thing is that these people are probably like this in their life outside of the internet. It's just that the internet has given them a very large soapbox and bullhorn with which to use. I am sure someone doing psych research is probably working on a paper over the rampant narcissism that has rapidly overtaken the internet. It probably isn't because of an increased rate of people displaying this trait, just that they have much wider access. A lot of interesting research could be done on the pyschology of the people behind the keyboards and screens.

@Goro beat me to the punch: sign in with some derivation of "Batman" ... lol ... and watch how fast your IP is no longer able to access the site.

That one in particular caught my attention and I'm not a mod, not an adcomm, not an anything actually :)

Well that's a fast example of a ban right there

Well that's a fast example of a ban right there

Not only that, but why do people insist on using "text speak" for everything these days? It irritates the hell out of me as a preceptor when younger people come in and try to write things like "u" or "w8" on a patient run report. Have the younger generation lost all sense of how to properly spell or formulate a sentence?

PS: Get off my lawn!

Not only that, but why do people insist on using "text speak" for everything these days? It irritates the hell out of me as a preceptor when younger people come in and try to write things like "u" or "w8" on a patient run report. Have the younger generation lost all sense of how to properly spell or formulate a sentence?

It's basically @Mad Jack frustration "If I wanted to make 140 character profile posts, I'd get a damn Twitter." applied to SDN posts.

Cuz txt spk iz kewl.

If I ever see text speak on any official documents in the hospital, it's probably going to end in a security call. I'm actually quite impressed with SDN though- people here generally use proper sentences and punctuation, and even refrain from making us suffer through textwalls most of the time.

Last edited:
If I ever see text speak on any official documents in the hospital, it's probably going to end in a security call. I'm actualky quite impressed with SDN though- people here generally use proper sentences and punctuation, and even refrain from making us suffer through textwalls most of the time.

Haha! This is why we have to review all of their charting before it can be submitted, until they get released, but I won't let them move on if they continue doing it. But it is a scary thought that these are the newest generation of EMT's, luckily I have never had a new paramedic do it. I can only imagine, what was the name of that drug again? F....F...Phen...oh yea, Phentanil. We already use enough acronyms and shorthand as it is, we don't need to be adding to it. While I am ranting, incomplete and uninformative charting bothers me as well. Write a narrative that, I, as a QC person can get the whole picture of the call, just by reading your chart, If I can't then it is a problem, because I guarantee that is how a lawyer will see it.

Frequent fliers at URM threads.