Relocating for grad school

Started by hummm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hummm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering how everyone dealt with relocation, esp. when you had to move 3-4 states away from your current residence. I have two major concerns.
1) Because of the distance and the cost of visiting a city (flight, hotel, etc), I'm thinking about relying on internet search, plus advice from current grad students, to find a place to live. Has anyone found a place this way? How was your experience?
2) How many weeks before the schools start did you move? I'm considering giving a week or less between the move and the start of the school (because of my situation), but little concerned if that would be enough.
 
When I moved, my school had people in the area who could help us look for apartments and a list of people looking for roomies too. I also spent a long weekend there checking out areas and apartment complexes I might want to live in. When the time came to actually rent I had enough info to rent sight unseen and it worked out really well.

I'd give yourself more than a week to settle in though. At least two. You will want to have time to unpack and explore your immediate area AND have a couple of days of rest before the insanity starts.
 
1) I moved "site-unseen" for grad school, postdoc, and employment. Didn't have a problem in any of those instances. Our grad program sent out a list of student recommendations for apartment complexes in the area, and I just did additional digging myself (i.e., internet searches for various information, as you've mentioned). Visiting in person is nice, but I didn't have a significantly better experience/outcome when I was able to do that for internship vs. my other moves.

2) I moved about a month before classes started. I'd say at the least, you'll want to give yourself probably two weeks to acclimate. For internship and postdoc, though, a week would probably be fine, as you'll be more used to both the moving-then-working process, and you'll have more experience with the type of work you'll be doing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I relocated across several states for grad school as well. As a warning, I moved to a transient area and many places would not rent site unseen. Many listers in this area also would not hold listings and the market moved quickly with apartments being gone within a few days of listing. I would ask the current grad students in your program what their experiences were like. I think almost everyone in my program had to make an extra trip to secure a place. Yes, the extra flight was really expensive, but sometimes people in the program will let you stay with them the weekend/week you come to look. If possible, I'd also try to come at least one weekday. I found that many of the smaller rental properties outside of the bigger complexes weren't open for a showing during the weekend or had limited hours.


I moved about 3 weeks before school started just because that was the natural break in my old lease. To be honest, that was a bit long. I ended up getting really acquainted with the neighborhood though and had almost everything set up before classes started. I also rearranged my furniture about 18 times out of sheer boredom. In my opinion, one week is a bit short. Give yourself sometime to breathe because it may be awhile before you have downtime again!

Congrats and good luck!
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering how everyone dealt with relocation, esp. when you had to move 3-4 states away from your current residence. I have two major concerns.
2) How many weeks before the schools start did you move? I'm considering giving a week or less between the move and the start of the school (because of my situation), but little concerned if that would be enough.

Due to issues with a shady landlord I ended up moving into my place a whopping two days before my first semester began. It wasn't optimal but it also didn't end up being a huge deal.
 
Also, just a thought, depending on how much stuff you plan on bringing with you (and how competitive the market is in the area you're moving to), you can also stay in a cheap hotel for a few days to look for a place or get a place month to month until you can find something better.
 
I looked in-person for grad school but moved "sight unseen" for internship. Funnily enough, my "sight unseen" place is much, much nicer.
 
I moved sight unseen for graduate school. The market out here moves quickly with houses and apartments renting quickly. Plus I had dogs which made renting harder. But we got lucky and the apartment had amazing amenities and a dog yard and is in a beautiful location. I don't think I'll risk it again for internship though.