shadowing private practice must?

Started by printer21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

printer21

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I shadowed a general dentist at a hospital and another at a group practice. I split my time towards shadowing some other specialties while shadowing at the group practice. Total about 80 hours of shadowing for both combined. I was told that shadowing a private practice is highly recommended. Is this true? Also, this 80 hours of shadowing accounts for my total dental experience. How good/bad/average is this?
 
Yeah, unless it was through the hospital or something, but I think even hospital shadowing would be fine. I know some schools want you to specifically shadow a general dentist (LLU), but it sounds like you're fine then.
 
the hours are definitely enough, thats about what i had. I think the key is that you spend enough time with one dentist so that they can get to know you well and write you a good LOR.