SSRI's and Brain Damage

Started by deleted862527
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted862527

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How true is this? I thought antidepressants were relatively safe. I understand side effects vary from individual to individual; however, I was not aware of a possible connection between long-term brain damage and antidepressant use (unless using medications such as benzodiazepines, etc). I hope someone on here can help clarify as well as debunk any misinformation published by mainstream media.

Thank you to those in advance who will be responding to this current thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the OP's link was but I have seen some studies that show sexual dysfunction even after discontinuing SSRIs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a patient ask me about this the other day it’s hard to know what to say. Maybe we don’t know yet but no convincing evidence now and they’ve been around awhile.
 
SSRIs tend to increase BDNF which can improve neuroregeneration in post-stroke populations and may be related to the benefits shown in SADHEART. IOW, there would be a pretty high threshold to prove this.

I'm far more concerned about the effects of maternal SSRI use on developing brains (the risk-benefit issue being entirely separate, there are reasonable reasons to think that SSRIs might result in maldevelopment of fetal brain tissue).