TBR: Entropy Definition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

justadream

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TBR: Entropy and Temp

TBR GC Book II page 140

“Entropy is the reversible heat change of the system (q-reversible) divided by its temperature”



So doesn’t this imply that entropy and temperature are INVERSELY related? I thought that they were directly related (higher temp = more molecular movement = more disorder).
 
dS = dQ/T

At higher temperatures, the entropy change will be lower. This is consistent with observation.

The change in entropy when a solid is heated is much greater than when a gas is heated.

That's how I interpret it at least - but I would be interested to hear otherwise.

I think that the entropy of a system (not the change in entropy) is directly related to temperature (as you said), while the change in entropy is different.

This relationship is seen in the equation that S = k(B)lnW where an increasing number of microstates (that is related to increasing temperature) produces a larger value for the entropy of an ideal gas.