This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted630732

Thanks for the responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 1 is not the only factor. Do you have publications, AOA, many honors in 3rd year rotations, great letters of rec from the department? Because there are plenty of people with those qualifications in addition to a research year who are coming from top 10 medical schools so it's rough

Thanks, but do you think a research year is necessary in order to get those publications and research experience or can it be done on top of everything else that I'm doing those four years?

I did not do a research year. I published two non-Derm papers between first and second year in the summer, then worked on a Derm case report during late 3rd year (was not published as of ERAS submission time).

I had 16 interviews and matched my #1 choice, so obviously I don't think it hurt me much.

But to answer your question: no it is absolutely not necessary. It can likely help, though, if you're a borderline applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, but do you think a research year is necessary in order to get those publications and research experience or can it be done on top of everything else that I'm doing those four years?

Research production (i.e. having at least a few projects and hopefully >1 paper) is necessary. Taking a whole year off for research isn't necessary. That said, I didn't personally feel like I had enough time during 2nd or 3rd year to get enough research under my belt, so I did a research year. In hindsight, it may have been overkill for me: I had 260+ Step 1, graduated from a top 3 Med school, and had honored all my clinical rotations. Ended up going on 26 interviews (also overkill) and matching at #1.

Reactions: 1 users
Not necessary but can help certain people. A good step 1 score helps you through the first step of getting your application even looked at. I know my old program screened out Step 1 scores under a certain amount. I think clinical rotations then is the next biggest thing. If you have mostly honors/all honors, you are in good shape. Add a case report or two and you are in better shape. A research year might not add much in that case BUT also wouldn't hurt you at all. I actually really liked my research year and it helped me because I was a pretty average derm applicant otherwise.

It depends on the situation. If you are a borderline applicant, a research year can be huge in allowing to match into a program. If you want to match at a top program, a research year will only help so much.

I was a solid applicant (high Step 1 and 2 scores, AOA, several first authored papers), however, I attended a mid-tierish MD school. I thought an external research year would help me get invites from the top 10 programs; it didn't (well I did interview at a few, but not as many as I thought I would). While AOA and research output are important, I think the name of your school is just as if not more important that your step 1 score. I was amazed by the number of applicants from top-10 and top-20 schools with lower board scores and a fraction of my research output who were getting interviews at all the top programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.