Tips for getting through without biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know biochem isn't required for the MCAT (although it can be helpful). I haven't taken biochem yet, and I am not doing so well with passages about metabolic pathways/reactions/etc. I did well in o-chem, but it isn't really seeming to help with that material. I understand the basics of glycolosis, CAC, and electron transport, but I struggle when a new pathway is brought up in a passage and the questions ask for balanced equations or where labeled atoms travel throughout the pathway. Does anyone have any tips for how to study this stuff? Thanks.
 
You can always count on Berkeley Review to teach you stuff you don't need. I asked a lot of people about this situation and passages and they said it's ridiculous. Just wanted to pass the information to you and others. BioChem is very minimal (Enzyme rates, etc.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to third what everone else is saying, you don't need biochem. I did well on BS without; I don't remember getting a single biochem question that wasn't right out of a passage (other than basic concepts like negative and positive feedback). Don't memorize glycolysis, just know what it does and where it fits in with the general scheme of things. Also know basic themes, like the idea that some pathways are limited in speed by a particular enzyme, etc. (not the particular enzyme, just know that it happens) -- those points will increase your speed if you run into a passage about them.

Anka