Univ. Texas, Houston – Medical Center Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDolly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to figure out housing options at UTH – Medical Center.

I have never been to Houston, can you please share the info like which apartments are good for the students in Medical Center area in Houston.

Thanks…

Members don't see this ad.

I'll study at UT-Houston too. You can visit the website of Rice University: http://offcampus.rice.edu/

Now, I'm considering these following apartments. However, I've never been at Houston. Anyone who know about Houston, please give me a piece of advice. Many thanks.
1)Scotland Yard apartments
2250 Holly Hall Houston Texas,77054

2) Park on Cambridge apartments
7901 Cambridge Houston Texas 77054.

3) Harvest Hill apartments
8282 Cambridge Houston Texas, 77504

4)Berkshire Crossing apartments
7600 Kirby Houston Texas 77030

5)Archstone Medical Center apartments
8181 Fannin Houston Texas 77054
6)Homestead Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Fannin St.
7979 Fannin, Houston, TX

I won't be attending UTSPH this fall, but I'm an undergraduate at Rice and would be happy to help. My strongest recommendation is that you live as close to the light rail as possible. Houston has a pretty miserable public transportation system, but the expanding light rail system is an exception. The train (http://ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/RailSched.aspx) goes from Reliant stadium, through many apartment complexes home to medical center employees, through the med center, Rice, Herman Park, museums, midtown area (great for restaurants and bars) and finally downtown--all in about 25 minutes.

To anyone relocating for school (in Houston or elsewhere) I suggest taking a look at this application: http://www.mapnificent.net/ It will show you how far you can get from any location in a given amount of time using public transportation.

Best of luck, and welcome to Houston!

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be attending UTSPH this fall, but I'm an undergraduate at Rice and would be happy to help. My strongest recommendation is that you live as close to the light rail as possible. Houston has a pretty miserable public transportation system, but the expanding light rail system is an exception. The train (http://ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/RailSched.aspx) goes from Reliant stadium, through many apartment complexes home to medical center employees, through the med center, Rice, Herman Park, museums, midtown area (great for restaurants and bars) and finally downtown--all in about 25 minutes.

To anyone relocating for school (in Houston or elsewhere) I suggest taking a look at this application: http://www.mapnificent.net/ It will show you how far you can get from any location in a given amount of time using public transportation.

Best of luck, and welcome to Houston!
Thank you, guava0890. Your link is very helpful.

I live in Fannin Street Station (used to be called Archstone). If I had it to do over again I would not live anywhere near the medical center you can ride the train to class from downtown as well and there is nothing to do this far south except interact with other medical center people. I strongly advise against living in the on campus housing here as well. If you are from the east coast (Atlanta, Philly, NYC etc) do not listen to people from Houston when they tell you areas are "ghettos." Their idea of a ghetto is a neighborhood that isn't posh. Crime here for a city this size is virtually nonexistent. Live where you can afford you will be safe.

I live in Fannin Street Station (used to be called Archstone). If I had it to do over again I would not live anywhere near the medical center you can ride the train to class from downtown as well and there is nothing to do this far south except interact with other medical center people. I strongly advise against living in the on campus housing here as well. If you are from the east coast (Atlanta, Philly, NYC etc) do not listen to people from Houston when they tell you areas are "ghettos." Their idea of a ghetto is a neighborhood that isn't posh. Crime here for a city this size is virtually nonexistent. Live where you can afford you will be safe.
Hi, nietzsche
What do you think about Fannin Street Station? Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks for your reply.

Hey everyone here! I will be attending MPH this fall in Health Science Center. Housing has been giving me headache. I live in GA and never been to TX. It is hard to decide since I'm so far away. This thread is great, the web link helps. However, since I'm trying to not spend too much on Housing, does anyone know/ needs a roommate or such?

Thanks!

I apologize first off for not being as active lately as in the past it's summer :). However Fannin Street Station is a nice apartment complex. My only regrets in living here are that if I knew as much about Houston as I do now I would have lived further north in the city because the medical center area isn't the population center of the city at all. Many business in the area close really early and there isn't much to do if you are a night person. I also ironically came here from Georgia and had never been to Houston had no family here etc. so I really sympathize on that point. What I did was I secured my housing when I came for the Open House that UT hosts each semester. This gave me a chance to meet with my professors and have a tour of the school as well as find housing all in three days. Hope that helps.

I am a medical professional living in the med center who has a spare bedroom for rent. If you would kindly to pass my rental information to any students needing housing... your help is greatly appreciated!

Furnished bedroom with private bath in 2/2 condo
Perfect those in need of temporary housing (preferably female med professional)
Walking distance from KROGER (Old Spanish Trail/Cambridge)
On Metro bus line #87 and UT shuttle services
Safe, gated community with on-site security guard at the Medical Center Condominium
Washer and dryer, basic cable, water, electricity, and wi-fi internet included

Contact by email: [email protected]