URM status/howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

llamasarefuzzy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I hope this isn't too similar to some of the other posts, but I really wanted to get specific advice for my position.
I am biracial (white/AA). I look very, very white. I'm not by any means disadvantaged.
However, I do have a specific interest in serving URM populations. My mother (AA, grew up very poor) made sure that both my sister and I knew what it was like to grow up poor and black through stories. Through college, I have volunteered as a tutor for URM/disadvantaged and gifted youth.
My grandfather (also AA) went to Howard. I would love to be able to follow in his footsteps (the only other doc in my family).
How would schools, especially Howard look at me marking myself as biracial?
I appreciate any responses!