Using iPad for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HybridTheory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the new iPad announced, I am now considering getting one for the medical school starting next year. But before I do so, I just wanted to get your opinions, like:

Do you / other students at your school us iPad in class or outside class for learning?

Are textbooks offered in eBook or smartbook formats?

Since I will be attending WesternU next year, I would love to get an answer from current WesternU student. But all responses will be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

With the new iPad announced, I am now considering getting one for the medical school starting next year. But before I do so, I just wanted to get your opinions, like:

Do you / other students at your school us iPad in class or outside class for learning?

Are textbooks offered in eBook or smartbook formats?

Since I will be attending WesternU next year, I would love to get an answer from current WesternU student. But all responses will be very much appreciated.

I have pdf copies of textbooks that I use on my iPad. Most of the books are for rotations though. I'm sure there will be more e-book versions of textbooks available in the near future. You would have to search though. Find out the book list for your school and google for e-books.

I have a lot of friends (myself included) who use tablets on rotations. You only need one product, it's relatively small, can even fit in your white coat pocket and you never had to worry about ripping pages or spilling stuff on them. The only downside is you have to make sure you don't just leave it lying around because it will probably get stolen.

I've used pdfs of books for most of med school and its worked really well...mostly cause I never have to use them. Whenever I've actually wanted to read a book, I got pretty frustrated with pdfs and even ebooks. Its difficult to annotate these, which I do extensively. I always ended up buying a hard cover.

In terms of class notes, if your school uses power point slides, it might be worthwhile to get a tablet. I'm a little biased though, I don't see a point to tablets(even though I have one) beyond websurfing or checking email in front of the TV. Not even email as I can do that on my phone. I don't see it significantly affecting your studying efficiency.

That said it's a pretty fun purchase, so go wild :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont get it. Totally a waste of money. You will get PDF printouts for all lectures, and you will need to write on those lectures. My school has streaming videos of all lectures. But you want flexibility (speed it up 1.5x, etc), which is much easier to do on a laptop. Also many schools are going towards doing shelf exams on laptops instead of scantrons. Ipad's may not be supported.

Specifically for westernu there are some students in our class that mainly just use iPads. Pretty much everything runs on them and they are easier to study with. However every once in a while there is something that won't run on an iPad and they just use their computers. most of those that do study with their iPads don't even bring a computer to school so it does mostly replace one

One advantage is that everything is right there and you can easily study anywhere and it's less to carry but our school is considering switching to electronic exams and for that you would need a computer that meets the requirements.

I would say my ipad is definitely NOT a replacement for my laptop. Not even close... ipads do not have flash, they don't run many websites normally... if you have an iphone or ipod touch (if it can support the apps that an ipad/iphone support) you could get by with one of those. I like the ipad for reading and some things, but it is definitely NOT a standalone in my opinion

ipads would have much more use for a student on rotations than for a 1st or 2nd year. First two years a laptop is better because you're gonna be in class or at the library and have a ton of things stored on it. An ipad would be great for carrying some quick references around the hospital and you could probably load whatever you were studying at the time on there so you could take a look at it if you had some downtime.

For anything that is flash related on the iPad you could always get Photon Flash Web Browser, it has flash capability and is pretty easy to use. It cost about $5 and worth the price IMO.

However, I would not recomend it as a replacement for a Laptop, but it is a good substitution while in class, rotations, and other places that writing a paper is not needed. Although there is always DocsToGo if in a bind or not near a computer.

Thank you all for your comments.

You guys are right, I would never get an iPad to replace a laptop.

And I do not think I would use it to take notes either. I like handwriting my notes. :)

I just thought it would be nice to have it as an e-reader so I do not have to carry the text books around.

Seems like it is a better tool for rotation years, so I might just wait until iPad 4,5 or so haha

And I do not think I would use it to take notes either. I like handwriting my notes. :)

I just thought it would be nice to have it as an e-reader so I do not have to carry the text books around.

Seems like it is a better tool for rotation years, so I might just wait until iPad 4,5 or so haha

For something more along the lines of an e-reader, with possible WiFi internet access to look some things up, I would look at some Android based tablets. They are more affordable and you can download different e-reader apps (ie. Kindle, Nook, Aldiko, Google Books), I have noticed some books are available in one but not the other.

Some, if not all, of those same e-reader apps can also be downloaded on a computer if that is a preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
also.... while this sentiment is changing slowly with each iPad generation... people who use them in the classroom or the wards look like toolbags. A very important thing to remember if not being mocked, and public opinion, matters a bit to you. It may not.

the exception to this are attendings, but its likely because they are not using it for medicine at all. thats just their toy they play with between cases/patients.

ipads are awesome.

my thoughts on the ipad. (assume the ipad is mr burns and the commenter above me is the moleman)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmAez71uMY[/YOUTUBE]

yes, i know in reality im the odd one for disliking apple products. but i cant link to the simpsons if i am loyal to reality.

Will I look like a tool if I use my iPad to take pictures of everyone? That's cool, right?

at a large university hospital in chicago, every resident is given an Ipad.

they can put in orders while in lecture, in bed while on call, or on the can.

Handwriting notes is the main reason I DO use my ipad 10x more than my laptop. There are a ton of apps that let you hand write your notes directly onto a ppt/pdf presentation or any other handout they give or (what I do) simply insert ruled pages in between each slide. This lets me draw/write to my hearts content in hundreds of different colors, fonts etc but also I can paste in figures and charts where I want.

In the end for each lecture I end up with 1-5 pages of handwritten drawings and notes plus charts and figure directly from the presentation. I usually still print these out so I can have copies in my car, kitchen etc that I can spill coffee on or leave places and not care. But then I also end up with a searchable archive of ALL my notes.

The only downside is I still haven't found a stylus I like that doesn't wear out after about a month...

Handwriting notes is the main reason I DO use my ipad 10x more than my laptop. There are a ton of apps that let you hand write your notes directly onto a ppt/pdf presentation or any other handout they give or (what I do) simply insert ruled pages in between each slide. This lets me draw/write to my hearts content in hundreds of different colors, fonts etc but also I can paste in figures and charts where I want.

In the end for each lecture I end up with 1-5 pages of handwritten drawings and notes plus charts and figure directly from the presentation. I usually still print these out so I can have copies in my car, kitchen etc that I can spill coffee on or leave places and not care. But then I also end up with a searchable archive of ALL my notes.

The only downside is I still haven't found a stylus I like that doesn't wear out after about a month...

What app would you recommend?

A windows 8 tablet running on Intel chip could replace a laptop. However, it won't be available until later this year. I'm not a big fan of apple due to annoying compatibility issues.

I am currently doing a trial run of going paperless (taking some post-bac courses) before beginning my med school journey in fall.... and so far it is working well.

I use Goodreader for textbooks and large PDFs. I use Notability for lecture slide annotation and it is working out pretty well so far. I must say having all of my notes, learning apps, scheduler, and most everything else electronic based in one device is really convenient. As far as school goes, I really only use my main computer for heavy storage and dropbox management.

I must say using an Ipad (or other Tablet) works really well if you do not have to write extensively since there is definitely a speed limit to hand writing. You can utilize a wireless keyboard for typing to speed things up. There are some anatomy apps, and a plethora of reference apps that I will no doubt utilize in the future.

It's more of a toy than something functional. I guess it could be useful year 3/4.

I'm not in med school yet, but I tried the iPad approach while finishing up my undergrad. Most of it was relatively easy (got the docking keyboard for it). However, I ended up selling it because it still isn't nearly as useful as a laptop. I am wanting another tablet badly, and was going to go with the Transformer prime until the GPS problems came out. At this point, I have a Kindle Fire for reading and browsing and am anxiously waiting the new Windows 8 tablets, which should be out right around the time school begins. That would enact the best of both worlds: total tablet functionality and a true Windows environment.

Why would that be? If a person uses an iPad on rotations to look up dosages or whatever, why are they any more a tool than everyone else who uses a phone to do the same thing? Please explain your reasoning.

Just a general sentiment. Regardless of the reality of it, ipads are viewed as bougie. They fill a nebulous void where the product does nothing better than a smaller and cheaper product. There are larger and similar sized products available for less cost. And generally gives off a vibe of aspiring for a higher class, showing off.

Of note: its not fair that just the ipad seems to get this. Also its lessening with time, but its still pretty present. Ipads, when not provided by a program, come off as "look at me!" If used in wards or classrooms (especially the former). I would imagine this is a pretty prevalent opinion given how many people ive heard this from and some newspaper articles noting the same thing I have read.

Also of note: i have an ipad. But i will never bring it with me to a clinical or preclonical setting. its a media toy. It's a rather unwieldy item for clinical use when my phone works BETTER for that purpose.

About October or November 2010 the new york daily news, AM New York and metro NY all had articles on how ipads were being used in all sorts of fields and generally came of as pretentious and put people off. (three different articles, so obvious each had its own unique narrative, but the same overall conclusion). I have no interest in looking it up, if you do, you have a 60 day window i cab nearly 100% garuntee you it was in.

Might just be my school or a new York thing. But id imagine its a bit more wide spread than that as NY would probably be one of the most open cities for its integration, if I had to guess.

4g phones are dramatically faster than the speeds ipads can achieve. Phones can fit in anyone's pants pocket (not everyones jacket pocket can hold an ipad). And Samsung makes tablets that go 4g if size is your thing. All minor things, but they are the thigs off the top of my head.

And again, I have an ipad myself. Just sort of agree with what seems to be the grumbles other people have wheb they see a med student whip out the ipad. Usually goes "lord, look at this <insert word here> with his ipad"

EDIT: I'm not meaning to bash on the ipad, its a great thing. Just pointing out it sometimes garners a subtle negative vibe when used on certain situations. And I don't find the utility merits it over similar devices.

Last edited:
That's probably just NY media talking (let me guess, the Post wrote one of those right?). My advisors told me if your preceptors okay with it, use whatever resource available (iPad, phones, w/e). Obviously, you don't want to be playing Angry Birds all the time on it, but a resource is a resource. I won't say no to a little extra help.

That's probably just NY media talking (let me guess, the Post wrote one of those right?). My advisors told me if your preceptors okay with it, use whatever resource available (iPad, phones, w/e). Obviously, you don't want to be playing Angry Birds all the time on it, but a resource is a resource. I won't say no to a little extra help.

well thats a little biased going in... but no... it was the opposite of the post (widely considered to be right wing trash news), it was the daily news. Though given what you said, I'm now curious if you knew the post was an outlet for conservative leaning news because generally the post is not at all associated with the rest of the NY media environment.

To be fair, the sampling actually covered most "view points". Metro is right leaning (ever so slightly). Daily news (as said beore) is left leaning. and AM New York is just plain innane, but also had a similar point :laugh:

December 2010 is when the Daily News came out with their iPad app.

I searched for that 60-day window you cited (actually a 90-day window) and I couldn't find anything close to what you described. What I did find was numerous articles that were complimentary of the iPad. Just an example:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mon...ps-people-lists-black-friday-article-1.456990

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/apple-ipad-work-check-games-making-tablet-article-1.152243

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/mon...a-good-buy-depends-a-factors-article-1.190365

OP, I don't think there's anything wrong with an iPad and I have yet to read or hear anything about people thinking you're pretentious or a show-off if you have one. Just about everyone in my class brings their laptop to school everyday. A few bring an iPad. No one thinks anything of it.

I think there is a difference between bringing it to class and bringing it out on rotations, which is where DocEspana is coming from (that's my impression). Lots of people in my class use iPads, maybe even more than use laptops. But on the wards? I don't even. Maybe that'll change as persona computing changes but right now be prepared to be judged not by fellow students but by attendings who aren't quite up to speed and to whom you look silly.

I think there is a difference between bringing it to class and bringing it out on rotations, which is where DocEspana is coming from (that's my impression). Lots of people in my class use iPads, maybe even more than use laptops.

His first post on the subject:

also.... while this sentiment is changing slowly with each iPad generation... people who use them in the classroom or the wards look like toolbags. A very important thing to remember if not being mocked, and public opinion, matters a bit to you. It may not.

Well in that case consider my opinion to be class:yes wards:no, regarldess of what anyone else said.

About October or November 2010 the new york daily news, AM New York and metro NY all had articles on how ipads were being used in all sorts of fields and generally came of as pretentious and put people off. (three different articles, so obvious each had its own unique narrative, but the same overall conclusion).

Great evidence! Very conclusive.

How does the stylus wear out?

Great evidence! Very conclusive.

You seriously just make yourself look silly if you're expecting some objective evidence that ipads can have a negative stigma. They can. Its a commentary thats out there. Period. hahaha. I just reccommend against it cause there will be a few people like myself, or some older physicians, or some socially sensitive patients, who will dislike it (Without any good reason) because that train of thought is out there. Even if not "prevalent" or "wide spread". And idk... i have one... i cant see any utility for it that my phone doesnt already do better.

but holding someone to a objective standard for pointing out that negative opinions *exist*. I lol-ed. :laugh:

See, I think that anyone on the wards who pulls an ipad out of their custom-sewn pocket and attempts to look cool by looking something up on it looks like a completely pretentious spoiled doctor's kid. Pull out a pocket reference book like a normal person, I say.

I think the main issue is that the ipad is marketed to be "seen and be seen with one". I, for one, totally think a 7" samsung tablet (bigger than a phone but smaller than an ipad) would look totally professional for something like this. But a big hunking ipad? Too much, like you're trying too hard.

well thats a little biased going in... but no... it was the opposite of the post (widely considered to be right wing trash news), it was the daily news. Though given what you said, I'm now curious if you knew the post was an outlet for conservative leaning news because generally the post is not at all associated with the rest of the NY media environment.
I'll put it this way: if I wanted to read the Daily Mail, I'd read the New York Post.

How does the stylus wear out?

The ones with rubber tips wear out during heavy use. They often develop a crack or tear where the tip meets the stylus. I've found many protective screens speed up this process and cause the rubber tips to degrade faster.

This is only a problem for heavy use, many of my classmates that don't use it to take notes have had their stylus all year, but I replace the tip nearly every month. I must have a heavy hand.

The solution is to get the Elago one with replaceable tips or the Shapedad one that has no rubber tip.

I use Noteshelf for taking straight notes, making drawings.

If I want to take quick, simple notes on pdf or powerpoint I use GoodNotes.

Both let you write in a zoomed in text box which I find key to taking good legible notes. Noteshelf is more "artistic" while GoodNotes is better for having folders full of large pdfs or powerpoints.