U. Pitt c/o 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys...with so many people still waiting on pins and needles I waited as long as I could. Alas, I can wait no longer! This is the official University of Pittsburgh class of 2009 thread.
Holla Back!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey just wanted to let you guys know that acceptance letters were just sent out today and that your interviewers received a copy of the letter this afternoon. so you may or may not receive an email from one of them before you get the hard copy. good luck!

pinkice said:
Okay guys...with so many people still waiting on pins and needles I waited as long as I could. Alas, I can wait no longer! This is the official University of Pittsburgh class of 2009 thread.
Holla Back!!! :D

Pink Ice, I got the good news this morning via e-mail. :)

reggae girl said:
Pink Ice, I got the good news this morning via e-mail. :)

Big ups Reggae Girl!! :clap:
See you in the fall??!!

I have been accepted, though I haven't received my official letter. I found out because the Dean of the Medical School personally wrote me an email encouraging me to apply for their Research Merit Scholarship. I wasn't going to apply for it, but after that email, I went ahead and applied. We will see what kind of offer I get....after all, UPitt is also a superb school :)

what what?! I applied for the merit scholarship and if accepted im going to have a tough decision on my hands. I was really impressed with the school; good luck to all waiting to hear!

pinkice said:
Big ups Reggae Girl!! :clap:
See you in the fall??!!

Well, I liked the school a lot during my visit but it all depends on the aid. Are you definitely going?

reggae girl said:
Well, I liked the school a lot during my visit but it all depends on the aid. Are you definitely going?
Aid dependent as well...but I LOVED the school praying that it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got no email, got nothing :( I thought y'all loved me Pitt? I loved you :(

CreativeWriter said:
I have been accepted, though I haven't received my official letter. I found out because the Dean of the Medical School personally wrote me an email encouraging me to apply for their Research Merit Scholarship. I wasn't going to apply for it, but after that email, I went ahead and applied. We will see what kind of offer I get....after all, UPitt is also a superb school :)

Pitt is tight, but it's really cold. Damn cold. Frostbtye cold.

But I'm a native Californian and, hence, a little biased.

Can't beat sunny CA, especially Stanford.

i got my acceptance letter in the mail today...... :love: im super excited :love:

i live in michigan so it took two days and i did not get any emails......none from the dean....none from my student interviewer.....whoo hooo!!!!!

wow--- just got the actual letter, most personal acceptance so far! NICE!

Meeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooo!!!! I'm in I'm in I'm in I'm in I'm in!!

I thought the personal touches in the letter were nice. Dr. Zeidel is the BEST!!!

Omigosh. I can't believe it. I'm in! I thought I was hoping for a waitlist at best since I received no special e-mails. Congrats to everyone here! Alright, off to go celebrate. :D

scott858 said:
I thought the personal touches in the letter were nice. Dr. Zeidel is the BEST!!!

Just cecked my mail...beyond doubt the most "welcoming" of any school that i've heard back from!

docinthemaking said:
Omigosh. I can't believe it. I'm in! I thought I was hoping for a waitlist at best since I received no special e-mails. Congrats to everyone here! Alright, off to go celebrate. :D

Congrats docinthemaking! :D Good to see that you got in!

Well, I got a waitlist - although the letter was written so that it practically could have been written for an acceptance, so that made me happy...but the truth of the matter is, I can't help but think that it's all just false hope. I've been told left and right, "you'll get in, don't worry" - yet 7 (and 5 others planned) interviews later, still no acceptances. Sigh.

iggyboop said:
Congrats docinthemaking! :D Good to see that you got in!

Well, I got a waitlist - although the letter was written so that it practically could have been written for an acceptance, so that made me happy...but the truth of the matter is, I can't help but think that it's all just false hope. I've been told left and right, "you'll get in, don't worry" - yet 7 (and 5 others planned) interviews later, still no acceptances. Sigh.

same boat here, iggy... 7 interviews, zero acceptances. the pitt waitlist letter does give me some hope. hang in there. congrats to y'all that got a big envelope.

j04177117 said:
same boat here, iggy... 7 interviews, zero acceptances. the pitt waitlist letter does give me some hope. hang in there. congrats to y'all that got a big envelope.

Yeah me too, 3 waitlists so far.

Good luck to us! ;)

aw YEAH -- acceptance in the mail. by the by, i never received the "special emails" or any notice from interviewers. so, anyone still waiting, hold on to hope!

I just got the congratulations email from my interviewer!! After running around the house jumping up and down and screaming 'Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!' I was finally able to sit down and write this post, which I'd been hoping to do for days now. See you all at the second look weekend in April!

A HUGE congrats to all of you guys!!!!!! :thumbup: Enjoy!!!

Hi everyone - this is my first post! I just found out I got into Pitt...still unsure of if I'm going there tho cuz I am waiting on a UC school. Congrats to everyone who was accepted tho!

does anybody here know where i can find pitt's match list (if they even have one posted)? thanks!

by the way, how is the weather in pittsburgh? the day i was there, the city flooded, so i'm really hoping that was an anomaly. and i'm from california, so please don't tell me it snows that much. but honestly, what's it like for those of you who may know?

and congrats to everyone that got in! do you know if pitt is where you're going to be going, or is it too early to know?

It does snow (and rain) fairly often but there's usually not too much accumulation, compared to areas even an hour to the north. But you should be prepared for gray skies more than half of the time - seeing the sun is cause for celebration in Pittsburgh ;).

Gid'yup! Got the go from Pitt today. What a nervous weekend. Tho, now it means decisions ahead. I was pretty sure I would be waitlisted/rejected and was settling in nicely to my chosen(?) school and my springtime plans to forget about this whole process.

Still great news and very happy. Any other mid-westerneers?

Uff-da,

PP

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone interviewed Mid-Feburary at Pitt. I interviewed Feb 18, and I am pretty sure the adminsitration said that we wouldn't hear in early March, like others that interviewed earlier. So does that mean then that I'll have to wait until the next batch, whenever that will occur. Or is it rolling now? Thanks.

samiam said:
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone interviewed Mid-Feburary at Pitt. I interviewed Feb 18, and I am pretty sure the adminsitration said that we wouldn't hear in early March, like others that interviewed earlier. So does that mean then that I'll have to wait until the next batch, whenever that will occur. Or is it rolling now? Thanks.

i was told it's rolling now; i believe they probably offered a bit more than the number they need to fill the class but are a school that likely offers twice the number of acceptances as spots so our chances are still high, if not close to the same as prior to this first round; good luck!

I am accepted. Loved the school, if Aid holds up then maybee I will see you all next year. Congrats to all

criminallyinane said:
Meeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooo!!!! I'm in I'm in I'm in I'm in I'm in!!

SPECIAL congrats out to CriminallyInane and SeeThrew :) ...we were all stressing out on the "waiting to hear from Pitt" thread...see you in April (or August)???!!!!

el list de la waiting.

coulda been worse. Now I gotta figure out how to get in from the list.

pinkice said:
SPECIAL congrats out to CriminallyInane and SeeThrew :) ...we were all stressing out on the "waiting to hear from Pitt" thread...see you in April (or August)???!!!!

Aw shucks pinkice, thanks for the special shout-out :) I am definitely going to second look and also (almost) definitely going to Pitt! Will I see you at second look? Congrats to everyone who got the big envelope and good luck to our waitlisters... getting into Pitt was worth the emotional rollercoaster!!

criminallyinane said:
Aw shucks pinkice, thanks for the special shout-out :) I am definitely going to second look and also definitely going to Pitt! Will I see you at second look? Congrats to everyone who got the big envelope and good luck to our waitlisters... getting into Pitt was worth the emotional rollercoaster!!
I definitely plan to be there for second look...I really have my heart set on Pitt the only thing that could change my mind would be an irresistible financial aid package from my state school!

Yeah, the only thing that will change my mind is fin aid too, but I think it would take an awful lot for me to turn down Pitt, so I am 98% sure I will be there in the fall!!! YAY to us new Panthers!

Hey everyone - I just got my acceptance letter from Pitt today in the mail. For those of you who are pretty set on going to Pitt, can I ask what really sold you on the school?? I know its a great place, great reputation, but I had a not-so-great interview day so I am trying to find out why/how people are choosing it. Thanks for any help!!! :)

CalGirl said:
Hey everyone - I just got my acceptance letter from Pitt today in the mail. For those of you who are pretty set on going to Pitt, can I ask what really sold you on the school?? I know its a great place, great reputation, but I had a not-so-great interview day so I am trying to find out why/how people are choosing it. Thanks for any help!!! :)

Here is my list of reasons for choosing Pitt Med:

1. I think the hospital system is quite amazing. Pitt Med basically runs every hospital in Pittsburgh! So lots of different experiences await us. Children's is awesome, Shadyside and Presby are great, the Psychiatric center is awesome, Magee provides excellent OB/Gyn training... etc, etc, etc.

2. I like Pittsburgh as a place to spend four years of med school. It's safe but with enough "city life" to keep me happy: sports teams, bars, clubs, culture, etc, without the hassles of living in an extremely large and urban city. Cost of living is much lower than other cities, which will cut down on the financial investment quite a bit.

3. I like the curriculum. A good mix of traditional lecture and PBL without too much of either. It seems like a lot of time is spent in class, which I'm not thrilled about, but it also seems like class is pretty optional! And you only have to take one test per block unless you're going for honors, I think... so you can learn/study at your own pace.

4. WISER!!!!! So, so cool... I want to deliver the mannequin baby :laugh: Think they'll let me do that at second look?

5. I like the longitudinal concentrations and may pursue one.

6. Excellent research opportunities.

7. Nice people.

8. Closer to home than my other choices.

9. (Last but not least...) I'll be honest: it is the "best" school, objectively, that I have gotten into thus far. By best I mean highest ranked, with well-respected hospitals, good research, etc. This is moderately important to me. But more important to me is that it's a school with an excellent reputation that hasn't lost its heart in the process. I feel like I am going to a "prestigious" medical school, and I feel lucky for that, but I feel like Pitt offers so much more than the name -- it offers a caring and collaborative environment. Throw in that it's highly ranked and that is just the cherry on top :)

In all... I love Pittsburgh!

criminallyinane said:

1. I think the hospital system is quite amazing. Pitt Med basically runs every hospital in Pittsburgh! So lots of different experiences await us. Children's is awesome, Shadyside and Presby are great, the Psychiatric center is awesome, Magee provides excellent OB/Gyn training... etc, etc, etc.

2. I like Pittsburgh as a place to spend four years of med school. It's safe but with enough "city life" to keep me happy: sports teams, bars, clubs, culture, etc, without the hassles of living in an extremely large and urban city. Cost of living is much lower than other cities, which will cut down on the financial investment quite a bit.

3. I like the curriculum. A good mix of traditional lecture and PBL without too much of either. It seems like a lot of time is spent in class, which I'm not thrilled about, but it also seems like class is pretty optional! And you only have to take one test per block unless you're going for honors, I think... so you can learn/study at your own pace.

4. WISER!!!!! So, so cool... I want to deliver the mannequin baby :laugh: Think they'll let me do that at second look?

7. Nice people.

9. (Last but not least...) I'll be honest: it is the "best" school, objectively, that I have gotten into thus far. By best I mean highest ranked, with well-respected hospitals, good research, etc. This is moderately important to me. But more important to me is that it's a school with an excellent reputation that hasn't lost its heart in the process. I feel like I am going to a "prestigious" medical school, and I feel lucky for that, but I feel like Pitt offers so much more than the name -- it offers a caring and collaborative environment. Throw in that it's highly ranked and that is just the cherry on top :)

I couldn't agree more, for all the reasons you said (that's my exact list) ... I really, really like Pittsburgh (I think I need to get to know it a bit more before I'm ready to commit to love, but I've got a definite crush :rolleyes: ).

If only I can get off the waitlist... :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey thanks a lot for all your info...yeah I am sort of confused as to where I am headed right now. I'm waiting on a Cali school so I gotta see what happens with that. Thanx for your help!! :)

when is 2nd look?

beep said:
when is 2nd look?

I don't have the packet in front of me now, but I believe it is scheduled for April 8 and 9. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Singing Devil said:
I couldn't agree more, for all the reasons you said (that's my exact list) ... I really, really like Pittsburgh (I think I need to get to know it a bit more before I'm ready to commit to love, but I've got a definite crush :rolleyes: ).

If only I can get off the waitlist... :luck: :luck: :luck:

Heh, me too, pretty much. I think I'd be happy at other schools, but I'd be ecstatic to go to Pitt.

Ok, so I see I'm not the only one with the late interview concern. I interviewed Feb 14th and I remembered them saying mid-March for some news to maybe come our way. Any thoughts on this matter or has anybody in the same boat heard anything?? I'm already in elsewhere, but Pitt is my first choice and I'm anxiously awaiting closure....

jennben4 said:
Ok, so I see I'm not the only one with the late interview concern. I interviewed Feb 14th and I remembered them saying mid-March for some news to maybe come our way. Any thoughts on this matter or has anybody in the same boat heard anything?? I'm already in elsewhere, but Pitt is my first choice and I'm anxiously awaiting closure....

I interviewed on the 14th, too, and got my packet on Monday. I hope yours comes soon! I'm so excited to go to Pitt!

:)

read
criminallyinane said:

Correct

Not much culture in the city, in fact the city sucks...

I have never been to class and I have easily passed every course, and honered a few exams on the way. PBLs are a waste of time.

As a medical student you will NEVER see WISER. You only use WISER if you take a fourth year elective, which is ultra competitive.

Not a bad plan, have fun wasting 4 years of your life doing a worthless concentration.

Resaerch is easy as hell to get, plus getting funding is easier than Paris Hilton.

7. Nice people.
Everyone is nice, but everyone studies ALOT. Be prepared to study!!

Pitt does kick major ASS!!

ummmm SeekandDestroy what do you mean?? You don't agree with those reasons? Help....I'm gonna end up choosing b/w Pitt and some other schools and i'm sorta lost rite now! :eek: