AAMC Definition of socially/economically challenged student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I actually got off my bottom to look this up at the AAMC, and i do fall under this social/economically challenged deal. I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? How do i let the AMCAS know that i fall under this catagory, and what other tidbits of info do i (if any) need to submit? For instance tax forms, etc.

Any thoughts? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by relentless11
Hello,

I actually got off my bottom to look this up at the AAMC, and i do fall under this social/economically challenged deal. I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? How do i let the AMCAS know that i fall under this catagory, and what other tidbits of info do i (if any) need to submit? For instance tax forms, etc.

Any thoughts? thanks!

Hi relentless,

On your AMCAS application, at the end of the "Biographical Information" section, there is a question that asks you whether or not you want to be considered under disadvantaged status (economic, social, or educational). If you answer yes, you will be prompted to answer another series of questions about your background (e.g., where you grew up, household income, whether you worked prior to the age of 18, how you financed college, etc.).

In addition, if your permanent or current address is in a medically underserved, rural, or both underserved/rural area, this designation will be made on your printed AMCAS report via a superscript (U, R, or UR, I think).

These items will be used as distinguishing factors on your application, and you don't have to do anything extra (i.e., sending in tax forms).

Hope this helps.
H&T

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as disadvantaged through the schools, I don;t remember if I did anything through AMCAS. I heard it was pretty stringent to get the reduced application fees though, and they limit the # you can apply to--I didn;t do that. Most schools will give you a chance to elaborate on your background in the secondary.

Very true...

A fee waiver is available to financially strapped students, and you do have to submit your tax forms in order to get approval. If you are approved, I think AMCAS allows application to 10 schools, and supplemental fee waivers as well. It's a tedious process, but it would never hurt to try.

I totally agree that your secondary will give you the opportunity to shine, but don't underscore the importance of that AMCAS essay. Tell them about your situation during initial application, and you can elaborate more in your secondary (b/c you generally get asked again, usually via a question about circumstances that may have affected your academic perfomance.

Now the challenge is to make it to secondaries....

My primary targets will be UC's....so thats gonna be one tough nut to crack. So my goal till June-July will be to improve my GPA. I may end up postponing the application process for another year and take a post-bacc program, but...i hate to postpone for another year even though i'm still being productive.

As of now, i'm weighing the advantages to applying as disadvantaged. Part of me does not want to do it, since it feels like i'm making an excuse for my troubles. But in the past few years i've enjoyed a lot of opportunities to enhance myself and my application, while dealing with these woes. At the same time, i don't want someone to think that i was goofing off during the time which, in reality, i was working to keep me in school.

Originally posted by relentless11
Now the challenge is to make it to secondaries....

My primary targets will be UC's....so thats gonna be one tough nut to crack. So my goal till June-July will be to improve my GPA. I may end up postponing the application process for another year and take a post-bacc program, but...i hate to postpone for another year even though i'm still being productive.

As of now, i'm weighing the advantages to applying as disadvantaged. Part of me does not want to do it, since it feels like i'm making an excuse for my troubles. But in the past few years i've enjoyed a lot of opportunities to enhance myself and my application, while dealing with these woes. At the same time, i don't want someone to think that i was goofing off during the time which, in reality, i was working to keep me in school.

Relentless,

Believe me, if you're sincere, as I feel you are, then your story won't be viewed as a cop out. Your personal trials and tribulations are important and have shaped who you are as a person, and adcoms will value that. Don't be ashamed of them. If anything, just look at the disadvantaged questions in order to determine if you want to apply under this status. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, but doing these extra questions is not going to hurt you in any way.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004appwrksheet.pdf
(Question #12)

Also, there are a few schools that may ask you if you have worked during your undergraduate years (not many from what I've seen, and I'm not sure about the UCs). Apply when you're ready. If you feel you need more time to sort things out do it. But if you feel ready come May, go for it. I think that your clinical exposure and research say volumes about you and make you a good candidate, so just concentrate on knocking the MCAT out and I think you'll be fine.

H&T

I agree with you fully on this. More than likely i will end up waiting. I would like to get my grades up, just to cover that end. I don't really want to rely on hoping that i "fall through the cracks" in regards to the GPA thing. I could always take the MCAT again and try to get it up but thats risky too.

Perhaps i could just do a trial run and apply June 2004 just to the UC's, 5 schools should be affordable. I just have to hope i get to secondaries, where i can explain my case. Don't want to be a casualty of just a screening method based on numbers, rather than taking the "big picture" into view.

Does applying more than once have any negative effects? But definately, i will be planning to apply to a post-bacc program. If i can't get into a good one, i'll just make up my own post-bacc..hehe.(ie. just take classes on my own).

It's all good.

I'll say one last thing. It's not a golden rule, but it will help to remember:

The earlier you apply, the more reasons adcoms find to accept you. The later you apply (when the floodgates have been opened), the more reasons the adcoms find not to accept you.

Apply early, give it your best, and you'll be just fine. :)