GW path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaceshuttle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about George Washington path program.

Their website is so outdated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Don't go there. Seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get decent training there, but there's a LOT of frustrating BS to put up with and some people are difficult to deal with. It doesn't have to be a pressure cooker like atmosphere like it is there. Residents are generally not enthusiastic about the program and overall morale is low.

Crud, it is time again for my "It Matters Not Where You Train, Only That You are Not a Biz-Idiot" post?

There is a total disconnect between lifelong success and the perceived quality of the training program you happened to spend a passing 4-5 years in...

1.) Pick an accredited program, any program
2.) Don't be a drama lama, keep a low profile
3.) Get board certified
4.) Profit

most people fail somewhere on steps 2-4 Ive found...

Crud, it is time again for my "It Matters Not Where You Train, Only That You are Not a Biz-Idiot" post?

There is a total disconnect between lifelong success and the perceived quality of the training program you happened to spend a passing 4-5 years in...

1.) Pick an accredited program, any program
2.) Don't be a drama lama, keep a low profile
3.) Get board certified
4.) Profit

most people fail somewhere on steps 2-4 Ive found...

I agree with you. But there 's places to train that are more painful than others and this is one of them. That's all I'm saying.

Is there a difference between a drama lama and a drama alpaca? I mean, I've heard of llamas being used as guard animals for the smaller and more herd oriented alpacas, which I suppose makes them more suited to the entertainment industry. They're also more often beasts of burden, which perhaps suits them better to do my work for me while I'm fishing. But they can still be confused for one another.

Avoid this program like the plague. No joke, do not under any circumstances go here unless you MUST be in DC.

Kind of have to question the sanity and trustworthiness of someone who registers on an internet forum, searches the archive for a post related to a certain topic, and then bumps it just to say the program sucks.

But then again, we are talking about the GW program. Maybe it's improved but when I was in training the website there stayed the same the entire time I was in residency. They had the same fellows for 5 straight years, only it was because they never updated the site.

A friend did fellowship there - stay away if you can! Sounds like residents are unhappy as well.

I actually think it's a good program. You certainly get the exposure you need in all areas, the attendings are friendly and truly know a lot, and there's great comradery among the residents. You have to work hard, but it's not nearly as crazy as it gets in the large sized programs. The website is really outdated, but I know that they're working on that. You get 4 months of electives, and you're free to do them wherever you want! Not to mention that the DC area is a great place to live. But most importantly, board success rate is 100%.

The board pass rate is 100% for people who take the boards immediately after leaving GW. Numerous previous residents have never taken the boards because they knew they would not pass. Others have failed after taking a few years off to study or after completing fellowship.

The attendings are very nice -- to your face. They will talk trash about you behind your back and in front of other residents.

This place is a pressure cooker as one former graduate described it. Avoid at all costs.

The board pass rate is 100% for people who take the boards immediately after leaving GW. Numerous previous residents have never taken the boards because they knew they would not pass. Others have failed after taking a few years off to study or after completing fellowship.

Most residents take boards immediately after residency. That's the norm, right? I don't really know about those previous residents, but it sounds like they are the problem, not the program. There is no reason why some residents should be ready to take boards at the end of 4th year, and ALL pass, and why some don't feel ready to and even fail after extra time off to study. And this is keeping in mind that all residents are pretty much equal intellectually...

The attendings are very nice -- to your face. They will talk trash about you behind your back and in front of other residents.

I don't know about talking "trash"...

This is true of many programs. There is no professionalism in academic medicine. Anything goes. Things that would get someone fired in a regular place of employment go on regularly in academic medicine. Remember this when you are going through. Look out for #1 and then GTFO. Also remember when you get out into the real world that the crap that passes in academic pathology centers won't fly in the private practice world.

This will happen in any program. Honestly, it is a 2 way street, and I have had residents do the same thing to me. Realistically, it will happen in any office type job - most people have all seen Office Space and The Office. I guess it is just a reminder to me to be careful what you say and always try to be professional.

Nonetheless, the effective pass rate is not actually 100% no matter how much the chairman/previous program director likes to say it is.

Taking a "few years off to study" is probably highly correlated with failing the boards.

The ACGME or whoever has power needs to stop accrediting so many path programs.