premed101.com down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear your surgery went well. :)

Argh.. exams already and no PM101 to distract me, all of us pre-meders better get super grades this term though.. lol, now there are no excuses.

I have organic chem II in T-minus 6 days and I am dreading it.. hopefully I can squeeze out an A- with the curve and weighting..

It's nice to see the group:thumbup:

We're slowly getting more numerous :)

Good luck in your exams! I know what you mean about PM101 though, I'm desperate for procrastinating material so I've been hanging out more on hockey boards except well it's pretty much the apocalypse over there so I'm stuck. Had anatomy final this morning, then we have microbio on Monday and cell bio theory & slides on Thursday, the 2 biggest ones :/ Can't wait to be done on the 19!

Members don't see this ad.

So having access to pm101 would be really great right about now. Has anyone else who applied to Calgary had their GPA calculation disappear as of this morning?? Like the box is gone altogether.

Hey - this happened to me as well. I think it's because they screwed up the first time, and now they're fixing up the formula + the system.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it disappears for a prolonged period of time.

YES- this happened to me too! I'm not super worried yet. I'm IP, btw.

I'm a little bit confused about writing the "title" of my reference. E.g., for an academic professor, would we just write down their title? Such as "Professor of Chemistry'? That kind of thing?

Wonder if anyone here can answer these questions...

I think in the regular UBC app they were pretty explicit that they wanted "Volunteer coordinator" or some such thing as opposed to "Mr."This was just for the verifiers, but it should be the same.

Check in the applicant manual, Cerena.

Oh! People! My back pain mystery has been figured out! I want to post an x-ray picture...

p1010072yh.jpg
p1010072yh.jpg

People! Look!
The arm numbness/tingling/itchiness was the giveaway to check the c-spine, but I've been dealing with pain between the shoulder blades for about 18 months. That would be the C6 nerve root, btw. I have no neck pain whatsoever. This is the 5th physician I have seen about the back pain problem, and he got it in about 3 minutes.

Time for physio, and time to start worrying a little more about proper alignment while doing things like studying. I am apparently not invincible...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not true- premed101.ca is run by a totally different person.
I'm not discouraging anyone from going there, but the post above mine is very dishonest.

This is not true- premed101.ca is run by a totally different person.
I'm not discouraging anyone from going there, but the post above mine is very dishonest.

And a new account with exactly 3 posts promoting that site.. I suspect it's the same person :/

So a good friend of mine passed away yesterday (he was 42) and the funeral is in montreal on Tuesday. Im trying to figure out how i can go giveni can't stand/walk for long nor sit in a seated position for long without elevating my legs.

Le sigh

I'm content to wait here until the usual forum makes it's reappearance :)

So a good friend of mine passed away yesterday (he was 42) and the funeral is in montreal on Tuesday. Im trying to figure out how i can go giveni can't stand/walk for long nor sit in a seated position for long without elevating my legs.

Le sigh
Sit in the back? Hope that there is room to elevate your leg there? Could you use/ obtain a wheel chair? I know the red cross rents them out, not sure how much it would cost though

Sit in the back? Hope that there is room to elevate your leg there? Could you use/ obtain a wheel chair? I know the red cross rents them out, not sure how much it would cost though

Not worried about cost so much as getting there as im in Toronto.

I might look into flights since it'll be easier than car.

Might want to take a look at Via as well... depending on where you sit in the train you could get way more leg room or even a sleeper car? It's obviously longer than by plane, but sometimes more comfortable.

Oh my, there are so many of you here now! Glad you all found this site. Shows how much of an impact pm101 has had on us all :highfive:

There are way too man smilies here to abuse...

Sorry to hear about your friend, aaron. Hope you can find a way to attend the funeral!

Kyla, after looking at that scan, OUCH! But glad you will be treated with the physio now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Yes, this really is Ian Wong. I've been away from the forums for the last few months. Private practice has been really busy, been on vacation, and even got engaged! I just found out that the website is down, and will contact my webhost to see what's going on. Hopefully, we get the forums back online soon!

Ian

Hey all,

Yes, this really is Ian Wong. I've been away from the forums for the last few months. Private practice has been really busy, been on vacation, and even got engaged! I just found out that the website is down, and will contact my webhost to see what's going on. Hopefully, we get the forums back online soon!

Ian
Thanks for the update, Ian! And congratulations to you! You must be so happy and excited!

So anyone who use to use the premed101 forum must have realized that it went down a few days ago. They were switching over servers and now have a new website: ....... . This is going to be where all the action for CaRMS is going to happen....feel free to join and share your experiences.

^MISINFORMATION & DISHONESTY

It is a very poor attempt to try to copycat the real site that is currently down. It is defunct, has gone nowhere and is a total waste of time. The creator has tried this site over a year ago and it is defunct.

Please note that kennethtoronto, the creator of this poor attempt of a knock-off, has recently had his every post here deleted for reprehensible behaviour and self-promotion!! And he has been BANNED.

Suddenly after his banning, a new user name was created and 3 identical posts mysteriously appear by can2carib (aka kennethtoronto) as a repeat self-serving attempt to promote his bogus site by dishonest and continuing self-promotion.

This is more than coincidence.

I will continue to report him!

Sadly, kmonkey is correct in saying:
This is not true- ......... is run by a totally different person.........the post above mine is very dishonest.

Executive Summary: Wait for the real website to return & do NOT use his bogus, defunct site.

NOTE: kennethtoronto aka can2carib - both user names & ALL their self-serving, worthless and dishonest posts have been deleted! And kennethtoronto under both user names has been deleted. Will he shamelessly try again? Anything he does does not surprise me, including these unethical posts. I will continue to monitor, report and do my best to ensure his future user names and posts are deleted and banned.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Ian

Congrats Ian!!

Yes, train $150 return (w/o student discount), 5 hours downtown to downtown (or Dorval) is shorter than flight time as you need not drive to/from airport and avoid long wait time.

Hey all,

Yes, this really is Ian Wong. I've been away from the forums for the last few months. Private practice has been really busy, been on vacation.......I just found out that the website is down, and will contact my webhost to see what's going on. Hopefully, we get the forums back online soon!

Ian

Ian, what is you is reasonable and is evidence that rmorelan who is always on the website should be appointed as Co-Administrator with you - so that there will always be an Administrator available to make decisions/take timely action when required. Between you both, there will always be coverage.

at least the site will be up soon! It has been frustrating for the past week or so with the instability. Hopefully we can work out a more robust system for backup and restore - considering the technologies involved that shouldn't be that hard - particularly with the tech skills we have access to :)

Hey all,

Ian

thanks Ian and congrats!

and if I can help in any way let me know - linux/unix systems administration is one of my things actually

Last edited:
Ian, what is you is reasonable and is evidence that rmorelan who is always on the website should be appointed as Co-Administrator with you - so that there will always be an Administrator available to make decisions/take timely action when required. Between you both, there will always be coverage.

almost always on that is :)

I am pleased to report to you all that kennethtoronto aka can2carib - both user names & ALL their self-serving, worthless and dishonest posts have been deleted! And kennethtoronto under both user names has been deleted. Will he shamelessly try again? Anything he does does not surprise me, including these unethical posts. I will continue to monitor, report and do my best to ensure his future user names and posts are deleted and banned.

Every time kennethtoronto raises his unethical head under whatever user -ny boy within 24 hours - his every post is removed and he is banned.

Good one kenny boy. If you were to employ your frequent unethical, dishonest tactics in academics, you would be banned there too. Time to clean up your dirty act, don't you think?

Hey guys,

I guess b/c PM101 is down I'll ask here. I am in my third year now. I am from BC. My Q. is: What schools can I apply to OOP with a 3.88 GPA in my THIRD year. I know there are plenty of other factors involved, but does a 3.88 hold me back from applying anywhere?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I guess b/c PM101 is down I'll ask here. I am in my third year now. I am from BC. My Q. is: What schools can I apply to OOP with a 3.88 GPA in my THIRD year. I know there are plenty of other factors involved, but does a 3.88 hold me back from applying anywhere?

Thanks

That means you will be applying next year, in your final undergrad year. Your GPA is competitive. At Ottawa and McGill, you don't need MCAT, although McGill claim they require a 3.90 GPA if you are OOP (but if you become IP in Quebec by living there a year w/o being a fulltime student, your chances then will be excellent). You are good to go across Canada and should apply with a wide net. I assume you have the rest of the package, i.e., good ECs/volunteering and will be able to write a good Essay/ABS (with respect to which I offer editing services).

Hey guys,

Thanks

is that 3.88 only in your third year?

I am pleased to report to you all that kennethtoronto aka can2carib - both user names & ALL their self-serving, worthless and dishonest posts have been deleted! And kennethtoronto under both user names has been deleted. Will he shamelessly try again? Anything he does does not surprise me, including these unethical posts. I will continue to monitor, report and do my best to ensure his future user names and posts are deleted and banned.

Every time kennethtoronto raises his unethical head under whatever user -ny boy within 24 hours - his every post is removed and he is banned.

Good one kenny boy. If you were to employ your frequent unethical, dishonest tactics in academics, you would be banned there too. Time to clean up your dirty act, don't you think?

Okay so help me understand this because I don't get this vendetta you have against Kenneth :confused:

Sure he advertises his forum, so what? That's not illegal by any means. I don't see why you label him 'unethical' because of this since there are no ethics involved.

No vendetta. You have not seen his reprehensible posts that were deleted. False pretenses = deceit = unethical behaviour. It's his problem. He has been banned here twice for serious reason. All his posts have been removed here for serious reasons. I did not delete his every post, nor ban him. He did this to himself all by himself. His reprehensible posts are a reflection of who he is and he has been judged by the moderators of this forum. He needs to grow up and become responsible before it is too late.

That means you will be applying next year, in your final undergrad year. Your GPA is competitive. At Ottawa and McGill, you don't need MCAT, although McGill claim they require a 3.90 GPA if you are OOP (but if you become IP in Quebec by living there a year w/o being a fulltime student, your chances then will be excellent). You are good to go across Canada and should apply with a wide net. I assume you have the rest of the package, i.e., good ECs/volunteering and will be able to write a good Essay/ABS (with respect to which I offer editing services).

Sorry I should have made it clearer. I am in my second year now, and if everything goes as planned I should end up with an overall GPA of 3.88 at by the end of my third year. If I was applying in my 4th year where many schools drop your lowest year (30 credits), my GPA would be ~3.98. I do understand, however, that when you are applying to schools in your third year that you want a GPA that is very close to a 4.00. I am unsure if a student applying in there 3rd year OOP with a 3.88 GPA would be that competitive even if the rest of the package is good. What do you guys think? As of now the only school I am competitive for is UBC as their % average for interviewed/accepted students is around 84- 86% and my GPA would translate to 90% (plus I am IP and UBC is my top choice. To be honest though, I will go anywhere as long as it is a 4 year program).

I miss the WED thread right about now.
I'm decorating my Christmas tree and have my window open. Right across the street there's a hill and little kids are sledding down it. I can hear them screaming, they're having so much fun. It's so cute. And I'm baking sugar cookies, listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas CD.I love Christmasy weekends.

Other than that, I was just notified that my order of "Doing Right" has just been shipped. Will start reading it as soon as I get it :) I've heard it is a great aid with interview prep.

Sorry I should have made it clearer. I am in my second year now, and if everything goes as planned I should end up with an overall GPA of 3.88 at by the end of my third year. If I was applying in my 4th year where many schools drop your lowest year (30 credits), my GPA would be ~3.98. I do understand, however, that when you are applying to schools in your third year that you want a GPA that is very close to a 4.00. I am unsure if a student applying in there 3rd year OOP with a 3.88 GPA would be that competitive even if the rest of the package is good. What do you guys think? As of now the only school I am competitive for is UBC as their % average for interviewed/accepted students is around 84- 86% and my GPA would translate to 90% (plus I am IP and UBC is my top choice. To be honest though, I will go anywhere as long as it is a 4 year program).

Right. How about you actually achieve the GPA that you posted, instead of giving us hypothetical numbers, and then ask. It's entirely possible that you won't have anywhere a 3.98, or even a 3.88 for that matter.

And yeah, a 3.88 as a third year really isn't competitive. It's great for a 4th year applicant though, so if that's what your GPA actually ends up being by 4th year, then your chances are good.

I miss the WED thread right about now.
I'm decorating my Christmas tree and have my window open. Right across the street there's a hill and little kids are sledding down it. I can hear them screaming, they're having so much fun. It's so cute. And I'm baking sugar cookies, listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas CD.I love Christmasy weekends.

Other than that, I was just notified that my order of "Doing Right" has just been shipped. Will start reading it as soon as I get it :) I've heard it is a great aid with interview prep.

Miss that thread too :(

I'm studying for Monday's microbio final, and then have cell bio/histology on Thursday and ethics the following Monday so nothing Christmas-y before the 19-20... And now I need sugar so I think I'm going to go make some pancakes :D

Yeah :) I have a rmorelan account on here but I cannot remember the password! Oh well.

No worries - it is really hard to apply as a third year application in Ontario. You have to be generally speaking a bit of a super star etc. 3.88 is a bit low for Toronto for a third year applicate (really Ontario is geared for 4th year applicants). To give a complete breakdown etc you would have to let us know what is your GPA breakdown by year.

Still keep pushing forward and aiming for that high GPA!

Miss that thread too :(

I'm studying for Monday's microbio final, and then have cell bio/histology on Thursday and ethics the following Monday so nothing Christmas-y before the 19-20... And now I need sugar so I think I'm going to go make some pancakes :D
Mmm! Pancakes :D

And Lunasly, you apply in thirs year as "a practice run". Learning the ropes early, doing your ABS, the Essay, Casper can be a great learning experience that will serve you well. If you do receive an interview, this will alsoo be great experience but don't consider you have a real chance. Occasionally, a 3rd year student with this mindset does receive an acceptance.

Hey guys

This is kennethtoronto: I just want to emphasize that I'm not can2carib. If you check valuemd forums, you will see he is a frequent poster there and registered on that site in 2007 (http://www.valuemd.com/canadian-img/220254-carms-applications-interview-invites-2012-a.html) - wonderful what my server logs lead me :). I don't attend a carribean medical school and I certainly can't control what people post elsewhere. This person decided to post inaccurate information but again, not under my control. So unfortunately, f_d in his crusade and ridiculous posting, has gotten someone else banned. Oh well.

Regardless of the crap futuredoc posts about me (which is ludicrous), most people who have been around pm101 long enough will know I've been a frequent contributor to the UofT/USA application forums on pm101 back in the day - more so when I was still trying to get into medical school, less so now as I moved onto other things, but still tangentially involved w. the community. The alternate is there if people need it - this has been the case for many years in the past around interview/acceptance offer times. I have never represented it as anything other than that. I certainly did not receive as much crap then as I have this time...but it seem the flak is entirely from one very odd individual. I clearly don't gain anything from it other than the fun I've had playing around with forum software and learning AJAX and brushing up on some scripting etc.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
Hey kennyboy, you certainly mouth off offensively toward me every chance you get using insulting, reprehensible language - which speaks to who and what you are. On the other forum where we are both members, you never make any positive contribution other than insulting yourself by your language.

Your vicious attacks on this forum were deserving of being banned for which the mods made their own independent decision. Same applies to your posts. I trust you will improve your attitufde over time in your own best interests. Keep your distance man or suffer the consequences for which you are solely responsible.

You have a need to use words like "crap" which reflects what you are. Keep it up but don't try this with patients as the licencing authorities will react swiftly and you can call then odd too. Why not try to make poositive contributions like the rest of us or is that too much to ask? Why not help out med school applicants for a change?

Last edited:
Hey kennyboy, you certainly mouth off offensively toward me every chance you get using insulting, reprehensible language - which speaks to who and what you are. On the other forum where we are both members, you never make any positive contribution other than insulting yourself by your language.

Your vicious attacks on this forum were deserving of being banned for which the mods made their own independent decision. Same applies to your posts. I trust you will improve your attitufde over time in your own best interests. Keep your distance man or suffer the consequences for which you are solely responsible.

I think you need to stop making these increasingly uncomfortable threats towards me not grounded in fact, and you certainly need to cease slandering me. Get off your moral high horse and take a look into the mirror at who is writing what. You've gotten into trouble many times on the PM101 boards for writing like this, and it's no different right now.

Most people don't even bother taking it up with you because it's just not worth the effort. Unfortunately, I'm taking the bait, again, only because you are absolutely inappropriate in your posts and starting to make me feel uncomfortable with the language that you are using.

Edit: I will be contacting the moderators of this board to see what avenues I can follow to pursue f_d's false claims about me, which I believe borders on slander and includes calling me "unethical", "dishonest", and claiming I have a mental disorder? - claims which are patently false, not based any factual information, and should have legal consequences attached to them. Anywhere else behaviour like this would not be tolerated and I don't think it should be different here.

I am pleased to report to you all that kennethtoronto aka can2carib - both user names & ALL their self-serving, worthless and dishonest posts - have been deleted!

And kennethtoronto under both user names has been BANNED twice, each time w/i 24 hours of joining!

Will he shamelessly try again? Anything he does does not surprise me, including these unethical posts. I will continue to monitor, report and do my best to ensure his future user names and posts are deleted and banned.

Every time kennethtoronto raises his unethical head under whatever user name - within 24 hours - his every post is removed and he is banned.

I will continue to monitor his every move and ensure he is brought to justice and held accountable every time. Why does he not contribute and help others as we all so rather than focus on promoting himself? This is an issue for him to sort out on a confidential basis with his mental health professional team who have so far proven to be singularly unsuccessful.

^MISINFORMATION & DISHONESTY

It is a very poor attempt to try to copycat the real site that is currently down. It is defunct, has gone nowhere and is a total waste of time. The creator has tried this site over a year ago and it is defunct.

Please note that kennethtoronto, the creator of this poor attempt of a knock-off, has recently had his every post here deleted for reprehensible behaviour and self-promotion!! And he has been BANNED.

Suddenly after his banning, a new user name was created and 3 identical posts mysteriously appear by can2carib (aka kennethtoronto) as a repeat self-serving attempt to promote his bogus site by dishonest and continuing self-promotion.

This is more than coincidence.

I will continue to report him!

Last edited:

I definitely support this. rmorelan has been nothing short of helpful with my questions and as far as I can tell with the majority of members on that forum; almost everyone has had a question answered by rmorelan!

Right. How about you actually achieve the GPA that you posted, instead of giving us hypothetical numbers, and then ask. It's entirely possible that you won't have anywhere a 3.98, or even a 3.88 for that matter.

And yeah, a 3.88 as a third year really isn't competitive. It's great for a 4th year applicant though, so if that's what your GPA actually ends up being by 4th year, then your chances are good.

I understand that. I would only have a 3.98 IF they dropped my lowest year. I am only applying in my third year as a practice run as futuredoc has pointed out. I do not have the hopes high of getting accepted, but rather just want to learn how everything works. My question, however, is: If I do receive a 3.88, then what schools would I be competitive enough to apply to OOP. If there are none, then that's fine and I will just apply to UBC.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I understand that. I would only have a 3.98 IF they dropped my lowest year. I am only applying in my third year as a practice run as futuredoc has pointed out. I do not have the hopes high of getting accepted, but rather just want to learn how everything works. My question, however, is: If I do receive a 3.88, then what schools would I be competitive enough to apply to OOP. If there are none, then that's fine and I will just apply to UBC.

Also on another note: Are applicants who attend a school that grades on a 4.33 scale at a disadvantage when converting their grades to OMSAS GPA as it requires a higher percentage to receive an A at a 4.33 school then it does at a 4.0 school. Unless an A+ does mean something and I am just converting things wrong, then I find it silly that an A+ still transfers over to a 4.0. :(

Thanks.

Thanks.

I think applying to Queens, UT, Ottawa, UofA, and UofC would make the most sense. Actually, if you meet the MCAT cut-offs and have ok EC's, you'd have a decent shot at Queens...I keep forgetting about Queens, lol.

Ya, an A+ in OMSAS is a 4.0. An A is a 3.9. Remember that a 4.0 is the highest you can get! Are there percentages listed on your transcript?

Hey all,

Ian

Awesome Ian!!! Congrats to you and your bride to be!!

Status
Not open for further replies.