Er medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rblessin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot about how it can be somewhat harder for D.O's to get into competitive specialties and I was wondering if Emergency Room Medicine is considered competitive? best wishes

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard a lot about how it can be somewhat harder for D.O's to get into competitive specialties and I was wondering if Emergency Room Medicine is considered competitive? best wishes

Word is it is getting more competitive, however as a D.O. you have a shot at ACGME EM residencies. There are also AOA EM residencies. Search the site. There is plenty of info addressing your question already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word is it is getting more competitive, however as a D.O. you have a shot at ACGME EM residencies. There are also AOA EM residencies. Search the site. There is plenty of info addressing your question already.

pretty much. the past years have been showing EM getting more competitive, but it is simultaneously very DO friendly.

Scratch the Room. Its just Emergency Medicine. ACGME residencies are very friendly as there are lots of DO PDs out there (see stonybrook). AOA residencies are well regarded in the EM world as well.

I've worked in 3 different ERs in the past 4 years and we have 5 DO's from AZCOM, Western, Touro at 2 hospitals (its' the same staff that rotates between both hospitals) and 1 DO resident at a TOP 5 teaching hospital (MD). And for the record, NO ONE judged/mocked/thought any less of her.

all right thanks for all the info..best wishes

Funny story.

I met with 4 friends last night for a couple beers. I haven't seen them in a while, and they're all hearing back from our state allo school next week if they're in or not.

About three beers in, one guy says "So what specialty do you guys want to go into?". Without hesitation, all five of us say "Emergency Medicine." almost perfectly in sync.

I think in 4+ years, it's going to be considerably more competitive than it has been in the past 4 years.