MCAT 28 FIRST 22 SECOND GPA 3.71 Please Help and Reply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fgcubioman91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My issue is with my mcat score as you can see. The first time I took the mcat I didn't do well but I wasn't below the average. The second time I took it I literally submitted by accident even though I was sick through the entire exam, I KNOW STUPID. Well now that I have made a mistake that might cost me everything, I would like to know how the schools will look at the second score? Will they know its a flop because of how low it is? Or does this completely screw the validity of my first score? My gpa isn't amazing but its at the national average with a 3.71. My Extras are, shadowing 5 different specialties, a lot of hours of volunteer work with cancer walks and ronald mcdonald, I worked as a sub-curator in a medical history museum, and I will be going on a medical missionary trip to Mexico soon, also did reasearch for one year in a biochem lab. I was just wondering what everybody thinks. Is it possible, not possible for me to get in and where? ALSO has anyone ever got their MCAT re-scored and did it change? Although I was sick the day I took the second MCAT, I never got a score like that in my life, not even in my MCAT diagnosis. ALSO has anyone every seen a situation or been through a situation like this? If so does anyone know school that take your highest MCAT? Please reply!! this is urgent for me as I'm applying this cycle. By the way I'm from florida.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't bother applying unless I took it a 3rd time and scored that 28 or higher. Consider the chances for MD gone unless you score a 33+ on that third try. I mean, seriously, consider this cycle done for.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really shouldn't be applying this cycle. The 28 would have been fine, but combined with the more recent 22, it doesn't look good. Maybe study up, practice, and retake the MCAT in September or this winter, shooting for 30+. THEN the 22 might look more like a fluke.

what do i have to lose if i apply this cycle? i mean if dont do anything i lose a whole year.

some schools average, some schools look at highest, some at most recent, but I am not sure any have to regularly deal with a 28 dropping to a 22. that is brutal. you really need to retake. A 22 is too low for DO. at least for any of the better (and by better I mean anything but the lowest 2 or 3) DO schools. But you have to couple that with a 6 point drop. You would have been a solid "for sure" if you would have kept the 28 and didn't retake anything.

i appreciate the empathy but the fact about money is that it got me to this situation. the reason i even took the mcat again was because i had already paid 160 bucks. so although smart in the short term thinking about money is detrimental over the long term. has anyone re-applied to med school? and what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd time?

I know a friend who got a 18 on their first MCAT then got a 29 on their second. Got 3 MD school interviews and is going to med school this coming fall. Not exactly your situation but kind of similar. Good luck

I know a friend who got a 18 on their first MCAT then got a 29 on their second. Got 3 MD school interviews and is going to med school this coming fall. Not exactly your situation but kind of similar. Good luck

That's not a similar situation at all, its the exact opposite of the OP's situation.

i appreciate the empathy but the fact about money is that it got me to this situation. the reason i even took the mcat again was because i had already paid 160 bucks. so although smart in the short term thinking about money is detrimental over the long term. has anyone re-applied to med school? and what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd time?
Right now you're so desperate that you're making the exact same MCAT money mistake but thinking of it in terms of "losing" a year. That "lost" year could be one where you beef your EC, get a decent MCAT and end up at an MD school.

91 is for the year you were born, right? Come on. Time to grow up. The average entering age is 24. At your age, there is no such thing as "losing a year."

again i appreciate the sound advice and i dont mean to sound entitled. however, whats the point of graduating two years of highschool early and then losing them. I'm just saying ive busted my balls to get here at this age and im so disappointed that the mcat is making me lose everything. As far as my ECs go do think they're lacking?

Seriously, DONT APPLY THIS CYCLE!! You can explain that all you wan't, but it won't get you anywhere. What you need to do is study your ass off, all summer. Spend 3 months, or whatever it takes you and get your practice tests at the very least in the mid 30s. You need to come back and dominate the MCAT. After you do that, you'll get interviews, then you can go in and say look I took the MCAT the first time did well, took it sick and accidentally submitted, and you'll be able to get in. But you can't tell the story and not have a real good MCAT to back it up. Med schools are only going to accept you if they think your better than the other 30 people who are qualified to go too. Right now, why would they take the risk on you when they have 30 other applicants with 30s on their first try. Go study your ass off and retake it, dominate the MCAT, I'm sure you can. Then when you go to apply you'll have a better MCAT then some of the people your competing with and you can explain your story and they'll let you in because you are the better applicant with a mid 30s mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really wish it was that easy. as much as i can improve my verbal and bio through practice, the physical portion is kicking my ass, its the reason i can't hit the frikin 30 and im frustrated because i don't know what else i can do. I know I asked this above but since you replied what do you think is d.o an option?

some schools average, some schools look at highest, some at most recent, but I am not sure any have to regularly deal with a 28 dropping to a 22. that is brutal. you really need to retake. A 22 is too low for DO. at least for any of the better (and by better I mean anything but the lowest 2 or 3) DO schools. But you have to couple that with a 6 point drop. You would have been a solid "for sure" if you would have kept the 28 and didn't retake anything.

I have a similar situation: 1st MCAT 24, 2nd MCAT 22. My 3rd attempt is on 5/31/12. I also am confused as to which schools average MCAT scores VS taking highest score etc... How high do you think I will have to score this time to realistically be a competitive applicant given my 3.7 GPA and decent EC's?

I had a friend in undergrad that got a 26 his first time, a 21 his second time, and retook a 3rd and got a 26 again. He got 2 interviews at great MD schools and was accepted to one of them (the one he didn't get into was a top 25). He wasn't URM or disadvantaged in any way. Maybe this can provide some hope! best of luck,

again i appreciate the sound advice and i dont mean to sound entitled. however, whats the point of graduating two years of highschool early and then losing them. I'm just saying ive busted my balls to get here at this age and im so disappointed that the mcat is making me lose everything. As far as my ECs go do think they're lacking?

Here's a protip that might help you feel better about your 'lost time'.

I sat out three cycles because of an awful GPA, which I was slowly improving. But I did clinical research on the side - I am on four posters, one pub done, two on the way, a fourth I have to write up for which I'll be first author. I have had two "invited talks" at which I gave a lecture about organizing research and another about my research project for which I'm first author.

I enter med school with a decisive advantage over my peers: all I need to worry about is grades, and all those pubs will speak for themselves when it comes time to match.

And to those who say it's very hard to get into DO with a 22 MCAT:

With the at least half of DO schools having average MCATs of 25 or lower, how can you say that it's extremely difficult to get in with what should be around one standard deviation below that?

This below piece of evidence is N=1, but I asked about DO schools for a friend who had a 23 MCAT - everyone on SDN said not to apply, even though his MCAT was probably around one standard deviation below the average, and his GPA was phenomenal. SDN seems to think you must have the average MCAT if you're going to get into med school. That leaves approximately 50% (assuming median is near mean) of accepted students out of the picture. He wanted UMDNJ SOM (which I believe is one of the best), he got UMDNJ SOM, and that was that. He had a 5 on verbal. He's an M2 now.

seriously, don't apply this cycle. not only are you wasting your money, but you are also wasting your time. it takes a ton of time to do all the secondaries and go off to interviews if invited. Instead, you should be using that time to prepare for the MCAT and do another EC if you need too.

A 3rd MCAT is a must, if you had stuck with the 28 you could have possibly been accepted to MD and most likely been accepted to DO. You can save this cycle by taking the 3rd MCAT this August but that will put added pressure on you since you will be applying slightly late. I think as long as you score > 30 you will have a chance at MD but I can't tell you how great of a chance and neither can anyone but the school. Good luck!

I sat out three cycles because of an awful GPA, which I was slowly improving. But I did clinical research on the side - I am on four posters, one pub done, two on the way, a fourth I have to write up for which I'll be first author. I have had two "invited talks" at which I gave a lecture about organizing research and another about my research project for which I'm first author.

I enter med school with a decisive advantage over my peers: all I need to worry about is grades, and all those pubs will speak for themselves when it comes time to match.

I hope you're kidding

I have a similar situation: 1st MCAT 24, 2nd MCAT 22. My 3rd attempt is on 5/31/12. I also am confused as to which schools average MCAT scores VS taking highest score etc... How high do you think I will have to score this time to realistically be a competitive applicant given my 3.7 GPA and decent EC's?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881707

Considering the previous takes I would say > 32.

That's not a similar situation at all, its the exact opposite of the OP's situation.

Well considering it's a situation with one higher score and one much lower score I still would consider that similar. Regardless if it's opposite or not it is a situation the OP can take from. Look at the big picture buddy.

Well considering it's a situation with one higher score and one much lower score I still would consider that similar. Regardless if it's opposite or not it is a situation the OP can take from. Look at the big picture buddy.

A downward trend will absolutely kill an application so it's not "similar". Telling the OP that your friend got into medical school with an upward trend is similar to his downward trend of the MCAT score is pretty stupid.

Yea..this is not true at all. Getting a 22 and then a 28 is a HUGE difference over a 28 --> 22. If the OP was in the 1st situation he probably wouldn't have created this post in the first place.

With the at least half of DO schools having average MCATs of 25 or lower, how can you say that it's extremely difficult to get in with what should be around one standard deviation below that?

This below piece of evidence is N=1, but I asked about DO schools for a friend who had a 23 MCAT - everyone on SDN said not to apply, even though his MCAT was probably around one standard deviation below the average, and his GPA was phenomenal. SDN seems to think you must have the average MCAT if you're going to get into med school. That leaves approximately 50% (assuming median is near mean) of accepted students out of the picture. He wanted UMDNJ SOM (which I believe is one of the best), he got UMDNJ SOM, and that was that. He had a 5 on verbal. He's an M2 now.
The data you posted is pretty old, but the fact is that the top DO schools are tough to get into. They are starting to average around 29-30. If the OP wants to settle for a lower tier of schools or the new ones, he can possibly get in. As for your friend with the 23, he/she didn't have a 6 point drop like the OP, which will be of great concern to any ADCOM.

If the OP wants to waste his money and damage his career by his juvenile attitude, I say let him. 10-20 years down the road when he realizes that some extra effort could have gotten him into an MD school and a better specialty/residency, which would mean thousands of dollars if it a better paying specialty, he'll regret it big time. Let it be the price to pay.

Apparently not if you got a 22 on the MCAT.

Don't bother applying this cycle, you won't get in anywhere except maybe the Caribbean.

You might be a special little flower now, but going to a research heavy school like Wash U means you are jumping in with nothing but pretty little pre-med flowers just like you.

Your undergraduate publications meant nothing the minute you got an acceptance letter.

Do medical schools care about that poster you made in high school or your first place science fair ribbon? Nope. Residency programs won't care about what you did in undergrad either.

what do i have to lose if i apply this cycle? i mean if dont do anything i lose a whole year.
lots of money. you have no business applying this cycle with that MASSIVE mcat drop. looks terrible and chances are that you'll be screened out anyway. but its your money to throw away. do what you wish. also, nobody cares that you graduated early from high school. thats cute and all but it doesn't mean anything in the real world. just that you lack 2 yrs of maturity compared to your peers which is obvious from your posting

Last edited:
i really wish it was that easy. as much as i can improve my verbal and bio through practice, the physical portion is kicking my ass, its the reason i can't hit the frikin 30 and im frustrated because i don't know what else i can do. I know I asked this above but since you replied what do you think is d.o an option?

If you couldn't hit 30, why did you bother retaking your 28? An increase to 29 isn't going to get you in anywhere that a 28 wouldn't have.

you are an idiot

i have a similar situation: 1st mcat 24, 2nd mcat 22. My 3rd attempt is on 5/31/12. I also am confused as to which schools average mcat scores vs taking highest score etc... How high do you think i will have to score this time to realistically be a competitive applicant given my 3.7 gpa and decent ec's?
28+

MD: 31, unless you're black or a native american.
DO: 27

I have to disagree with my friends here. I think a 26 (even 25 but that's pushing it) would be enough to be competitive at all programs since your GPA is well above the average of all Osteopathic programs.

I hope you're kidding

Your undergraduate publications meant nothing the minute you got an acceptance letter.

Do medical schools care about that poster you made in high school or your first place science fair ribbon? Nope. Residency programs won't care about what you did in undergrad either.

You guys really mean to tell me that peer reviewed publications don't matter on residency apps if they are completed before one receives a medical school acceptance letter?

Thank God I slacked off on my first author paper and have to finish it up the summer before I start med school (over six months after being accepted, so by your logic "it counts now").

Or should I wait one more month to be published so it's published while I'm a medical student? Of course, all of this is sarcasm - I feel like your argument is BS. Please reiterate your argument if you still believe me to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a journal pub is a journal pub is a journal pub, and, according to last year's NRMP residency director survey, "Across all specialties, 41% valued research when deciding whom to interview. For the more competitive specialties, however, research experience is considered important. For example, 62% of dermatology program directors valued research, as did 61% in orthopedic surgery, 61% in otolaryngology, 62% in psychiatry, 75% in plastic surgery, and 79% in radiation oncology."

I have to disagree with my friends here. I think a 26 (even 25 but that's pushing it) would be enough to be competitive at all programs since your GPA is well above the average of all Osteopathic programs.

I plan on applying to only MD schools. What is the minimum score, given my dismal prior 2 MCAT scores, I would have to achieve to be competitive?

You guys really mean to tell me that peer reviewed publications don't matter on residency apps if they are completed before one receives a medical school acceptance letter?

Thank God I slacked off on my first author paper and have to finish it up the summer before I start med school (over six months after being accepted, so by your logic "it counts now").

Or should I wait one more month to be published so it's published while I'm a medical student? Of course, all of this is sarcasm - I feel like your argument is BS. Please reiterate your argument if you still believe me to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a journal pub is a journal pub is a journal pub, and, according to last year's NRMP residency director survey, "Across all specialties, 41% valued research when deciding whom to interview. For the more competitive specialties, however, research experience is considered important. For example, 62% of dermatology program directors valued research, as did 61% in orthopedic surgery, 61% in otolaryngology, 62% in psychiatry, 75% in plastic surgery, and 79% in radiation oncology."
This is entirely correct. A pub is a pub no matter when it happens, but I must say that after a strong research background, I don't think they will want you to slack off and do none in med school.

I plan on applying to only MD schools. What is the minimum score, given my dismal prior 2 MCAT scores, I would have to achieve to be competitive?
you'll have to get 28-30 at least to overcome your 22

That's all based on each individual med school.

However, taking the MCAT twice and not improving is a huge red flag. You need at least a 30 on your first try to be competitive. Since you've already taken it twice and actually went down, you really need to show up with a strong score.

33+ for MD. Honestly, you better start preparing for the realistic possibility that the only MD schools that will accept you are in the Caribbean.

I think you missed my point. I was referring to your comment that "all I have to worry about is my grades" for a good residency match. Joke.

Further, most students who are shooting for a competitive residency spot will understand that research is important, and many will be doing (or will have done) research. You just came off as acting self-important by voicing your opinion that you're somehow at an advantage to your peers because of some undergrad research you did.

That's all based on each individual med school.

However, taking the MCAT twice and not improving is a huge red flag. You need at least a 30 on your first try to be competitive. Since you've already taken it twice and actually went down, you really need to show up with a strong score.

What is considered "strong" to combat my 24 and 22 scores?

Hello everybody,

My issue is with my mcat score as you can see. The first time I took the mcat I didn't do well but I wasn't below the average. The second time I took it I literally submitted by accident even though I was sick through the entire exam, I KNOW STUPID. Well now that I have made a mistake that might cost me everything, I would like to know how the schools will look at the second score? Will they know its a flop because of how low it is? Or does this completely screw the validity of my first score? My gpa isn't amazing but its at the national average with a 3.71. My Extras are, shadowing 5 different specialties, a lot of hours of volunteer work with cancer walks and ronald mcdonald, I worked as a sub-curator in a medical history museum, and I will be going on a medical missionary trip to Mexico soon, also did reasearch for one year in a biochem lab. I was just wondering what everybody thinks. Is it possible, not possible for me to get in and where? ALSO has anyone ever got their MCAT re-scored and did it change? Although I was sick the day I took the second MCAT, I never got a score like that in my life, not even in my MCAT diagnosis. ALSO has anyone every seen a situation or been through a situation like this? If so does anyone know school that take your highest MCAT? Please reply!! this is urgent for me as I'm applying this cycle. By the way I'm from florida.

Thanks

People have given you some harsh, but fairly good advice. It definitely doesn't look good to have such a drop, and would be difficult to get in if you don't retake. But, if you are open to DO schools anyway, you could retake in July or August (If you really never scored that low on practice tests it could have just been a fluke since you were sick, and you could be ready to retake in July if you really wanted). If you feel better about the test you could apply to both MD and DO and get the ball rolling verification-wise. The dates around you are probably filled now, but if you look right around the last drop date you can almost always find a spot open. You would be pushing the "late-ish" (by SDN standards anyway) to MD schools, but you wouldn't really be too late for DO schools. I applied in October for DO and did just fine with not so stellar stats. However, if you are unwilling to retake the MCAT, you really are going to be fighting an uphill battle.

People have given you some harsh, but fairly good advice. It definitely doesn't look good to have such a drop, and would be difficult to get in if you don't retake. But, if you are open to DO schools anyway, you could retake in July or August (If you really never scored that low on practice tests it could have just been a fluke since you were sick, and you could be ready to retake in July if you really wanted). If you feel better about the test you could apply to both MD and DO and get the ball rolling verification-wise. The dates around you are probably filled now, but if you look right around the last drop date you can almost always find a spot open. You would be pushing the "late-ish" (by SDN standards anyway) to MD schools, but you wouldn't really be too late for DO schools. I applied in October for DO and did just fine with not so stellar stats. However, if you are unwilling to retake the MCAT, you really are going to be fighting an uphill battle.
I don't think July would be late if he can have secondaries in by September. Later than that and I would agree that the cycle will get rough.

I think you missed my point. I was referring to your comment that "all I have to worry about is my grades" for a good residency match. Joke.

Further, most students who are shooting for a competitive residency spot will understand that research is important, and many will be doing (or will have done) research. You just came off as acting self-important by voicing your opinion that you're somehow at an advantage to your peers because of some undergrad research you did.

Just so we're on the same page, most of what I posted was in in response to the other person I quoted, who said that your publication record "pre-receipt of medical school acceptance" does not matter (absolute rubbish). I am at an advantage over those who don't have a significant research record, because as you said, "they will have done research" during medical school, while I will have spent the time they were researching working on AOA and doing STEP 1 prep. I never even said I'd do well in my classes, never said I'm going to rock STEP 1 - just said I had a competitive advantage time-wise as I've already checked something off the list that others will need to spend time on. OP's question was whether he can do things that don't "waste time" in this period. I fully agree with triage and others that he should worry about the MCAT and should care less about wasting a year, but if it will make him feel better doing some research leading to pubs that will help with residency, he can go for it.

ANYONE Have advice about going from a 25 to a 15 :eek:

Hello everybody,

Thanks

Dont know how this thread got restarted because I guess it is kind of old, but this has 10000% confirmed that I will not be retaking the MCAT and trying to get higher than my 28. This kind of stuff scares the piss out of me haha

ANYONE Have advice about going from a 25 to a 15 :eek:

Good advice would probably to follow the rest of this thread suggesting another retake and trying to at least get back up to your regular score. I am still a hopeful applicant so I do not even know if this counts as n=1, since I havent even been accepted. But I have never heard of anyone getting into a US DO or MD school with a 15.... unless it was an upward trend (15 --> 23 --> 25 etc)