Spring start SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsclepiusChiron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find too much info, are there any SMP's that allow application in fall and start in spring?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and couldn't find too much info, are there any SMP's that allow application in fall and start in spring?
the only true SMP masters that i know that takes spring intake is the program at USC. Deadline is sometime in October for Spring 2013 intake. Check their website for more details, and besides that, I am not aware of any other SMPs that start in Spring. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is not a true SMP
oh sorry for the false info. I was basing it on the "SMP list" in the sticky thread …it was listed with others….so i thought it was…apologies.

Is not a true SMP

I'm still curious why this is the prevailing SDN position. I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but I don't know how you could make that assumption. Is it because they don't have published stats?

Is not a true SMP

oh sorry for the false info. I was basing it on the "SMP list" in the sticky thread …it was listed with others….so i thought it was…apologies.

I'm still curious why this is the prevailing SDN position. I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but I don't know how you could make that assumption. Is it because they don't have published stats?
On this anonymous internet forum, somebody you've never met decided to do too much research on SDN and on med school websites, and built a list of GPA redemption programs and categorized them. People liked it so I did it again. Nobody took on the task of moving this list forward, so the effort died in June 2009...with the exception of adding on a program that appeared to be trying really hard to be an SMP, based on a large number of med school courses in the curriculum.

There is no "true" or "false" SMP. There are programs that are more and less likely to get you into med school, from a 3.0-3.4 GPA on top of an otherwise stellar (STELLAR) med school app. My 3 year old list is stupid place to look for a solid answer to "what program should I do?" A smart place to look would be in the thousands of highly relevant posts from grads of programs that expose strengths and weaknesses and results.

If you need GPA redemption, you cannot go looking for somebody to figure this out for you. I thought I could figure things out in a valid, shareable fashion. I was wrong. You have to do your own homework. Stuff changes year to year. People make claims on SDN that don't hold up to scrutiny.

IMHO the USC program could become a great option, easy to recommend, if we start seeing a large number of 3.0-3.4 California residents get into UC's from there. That would make USC a reasonable alternative to Gtown, Boston, EVMS, Cincinnati, Loyola et al, which is where the vast hordes of low GPA Californians are now forced to go. We need to start seeing contributions on SDN from people who got into UCs, despite a low GPA, after doing the USC program, for any excitement to get generated. Whether the USC program makes any sense for a non-Californian is yet to be determined.

Basically we need USC to do for California what Mississippi College does for MS/AL/LA.

Best of luck to you.

There is no "true" or "false" SMP. There are programs that are more and less likely to get you into med school, from a 3.0-3.4 GPA on top of an otherwise stellar (STELLAR) med school app.
You say there isn't a definition/separation, and then yet give one - seems a bit contradictory, no? Yes its a continuum, and it has two ends, but these two ends have labels....

Anyways - I believe there is a true SMP, and then other MS/MA programs.

The core/true SMPs IMO are like BU MAMS, Georgetown, RF's one... and others that i cannot be bothered to list.

Then there are other masters programs.... like USC Global thing, Columbia's nutrition, any MPH, anything with the word public health/nutrition in it, or anything that sounds like its related to business/healthcare (we've had a few of those lately). These are not designed to take low GPAs and put them in med school - hence they, IMO, are not true SMPs.

Define it as you will, but realize the limitations of a program, and whom it is designed for

I understand where you're coming from, but USC's program and Columbia's nutrition program are not comparable because USC's program has you taking the same classes as medical students alongside them. I thought that medical school integration was the major criteria for the "true" SMP designation. Other programs have electives taught by graduate school professors, but USC has every course taught by a member of medical school faculty. I think the only difference is that it's newer.

You say there isn't a definition/separation, and then yet give one - seems a bit contradictory, no? Yes its a continuum, and it has two ends, but these two ends have labels....

Anyways - I believe there is a true SMP, and then other MS/MA programs.

The core/true SMPs IMO are like BU MAMS, Georgetown, RF's one... and others that i cannot be bothered to list.

Then there are other masters programs.... like USC Global thing, Columbia's nutrition, any MPH, anything with the word public health/nutrition in it, or anything that sounds like its related to business/healthcare (we've had a few of those lately). These are not designed to take low GPAs and put them in med school - hence they, IMO, are not true SMPs.

Define it as you will, but realize the limitations of a program, and whom it is designed for

IMHO the USC program could become a great option, easy to recommend, if we start seeing a large number of 3.0-3.4 California residents get into UC's from there. That would make USC a reasonable alternative to Gtown, Boston, EVMS, Cincinnati, Loyola et al, which is where the vast hordes of low GPA Californians are now forced to go. We need to start seeing contributions on SDN from people who got into UCs, despite a low GPA, after doing the USC program, for any excitement to get generated. Whether the USC program makes any sense for a non-Californian is yet to be determined.

Basically we need USC to do for California what Mississippi College does for MS/AL/LA.

Best of luck to you.

Well said.

I might be one of the California residents you're alluding to in your post, since I'm trying to get into a UC medical school, and may be attending the USC MS in Global Health program.

However, I contacted one of the program advisers for the USC MS in Global Health program concerning its similarity to a "true" SMP, and received this reply:

"I do want to mention that, while many of our students have successfully
matriculated into medical school, we emphasize the importance of your
passion for Global Medicine before applying for this program. This program
is highly specialized in Global Medicine and is not like the special
master's programs like Georgetown because of this."

Personally, I'm in a tight spot because I get free tuition at all public California universities, medical school included, and attending a UC medical school could potentially save me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So, I might be forced into taking a gamble on an SMP solely to increase my chances at gaining acceptance to a UC medical school. In that way, I'm probably an ideal candidate for your comments, above, Dr. Midlife.

My GPA is a 3.7 since 2006, but I had some scuffs on my record before that due to extenuating circumstances that brought my cumulative GPA down to around a 3.4.

In all other respects, I believe that I'm a good candidate for medical school, and you can judge that for yourself if you want to look at my mdapps. My MCAT score should be over 30, and I'll get my score in the next few weeks.

Maybe I should be a guinea pig for the USC MS in Global Health program? lol