My chances w/ 16 in PAT? :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamenxNoodles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just took the the DAT and this is what I got:

PAT: 16
Quant. Reasoning: 17
Reading comp: 20
Biology: 18
Gen chem: 18
Orgo: 20
TS: 19

AA:19

I'm just really worried about the 16 on PAT and 17 on math. I hope to have about a 3.5-3.6 GPA when I apply. I will also have about 60-70 hours of volunteering. I am president of the pre-dental club. I will have assisted a professor with dental research for a year and 50 hours of shadowing a general dentist. What do you guys think, what do my chances look like? I'm going to try to UK and louisville dental school and a few others which I'm not sure about. Thanks for the help and thoughts!!! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Um you have an OK chance of getting in...at least you only have 1 score below 17 and it's not in the sciences...just look for schools that don't have a cutoff. Btw if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to study for the DAT?

Make sure you're passionate in that research; you'll do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Crack DAT PAT (10 tests) and reading (10 tests), and did some tests for science and math from there. I also got the achiever 7 test version, but only did whole tests for tests 1-4 because the scores made me mad and the materials seemed really hard. But, I did all the PAT tests from achiever; evidently my perceptual ability just sucks even from all the practice. I also got DAT destroyer and i went through every problem in the book once. I also got Chad's videos. I went through all the videos once and took notes and did all the quizzes that they have. In addition, I got top score, did all 3 tests and reviewed them. My studying time was about 2 months.

I had a 14 in PAT and still got into several schools. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

i would highly recommend retaking. unless you're a URM or a non-traditional applicant, you realistically won't have a shot

Under Represented Minority? Yeah, I'm Asian, the brown kind... if that helps any...

I was told by many at my interviews that most dno't care about the PAT and QR sections. So you have a chance. If you applying next year, you can try to retake it, but if this year, just apply early.

I was told by many at my interviews that most dno't care about the PAT and QR sections. So you have a chance. If you applying next year, you can try to retake it, but if this year, just apply early.

Why wouldn't they care about PAT? Isn't there a lot of 3D manipulation involved in dentistry?

Why wouldn't they care about PAT? Isn't there a lot of 3D manipulation involved in dentistry?

that's what I thought, but I think it depends on the school. Some of the schools I applied to, told me that PAT and QR are the last two things they look at

that's what I thought, but I think it depends on the school. Some of the schools I applied to, told me that PAT and QR are the last two things they look at

Interesting..

Not sure about the schools not caring, but I am sure that being good at 3D manipulation requires practice, and you'll get a lot of practice in dental school. Getting a 30 on the PAT section only requires practice. Sure, some people have a better starting edge than others, but in the end, it's all about practice.

The one school I know considers the pat very important is roseman. They had a average of 22 last year.

Not sure about the schools not caring, but I am sure that being good at 3D manipulation requires practice, and you'll get a lot of practice in dental school. Getting a 30 on the PAT section only requires practice. Sure, some people have a better starting edge than others, but in the end, it's all about practice.

It's not alll about practice. Sure it would help. But next to RC I practiced PAT the least. I may have actually done PAT less. I was a re-taker though so I knew what the actual test was like I suppose.

I had a 14 in PAT and still got into several schools. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Hey, I saw your post here and wanted to ask if you could message me about the schools you got into. My scores are very similar to what the person got in the thread. -Thanks

I used Crack DAT PAT (10 tests) and reading (10 tests), and did some tests for science and math from there. I also got the achiever 7 test version, but only did whole tests for tests 1-4 because the scores made me mad and the materials seemed really hard. But, I did all the PAT tests from achiever; evidently my perceptual ability just sucks even from all the practice. I also got DAT destroyer and i went through every problem in the book once. I also got Chad's videos. I went through all the videos once and took notes and did all the quizzes that they have. In addition, I got top score, did all 3 tests and reviewed them. My studying time was about 2 months.

I studied the PAT for 3 days before I took the DAT and got a 15 then retook for an 18 with 2-3 weeks of practice. I used Bootcamp, they have simulators and do those b/c they dont use a score. Theres plenty of time to raise that score up a few points. FInd your weakness and try to work on it and if it never clicks theres ways to jump around the PAT to make sure you max out your strengths eg me: skip TFE and go to hole punches and pattern folding , then do angles in like 3 minutes, and then whatever the other section was then go to TFE and try to do a few that are doable and skip anything difficult/ put down random answer.