Do MCAT and enter medicine without undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shunnar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am studying medicine outside the US, in the middle east.
I want to ask if I can apply for a medical school in the US without having an undergrad degree, by just doing MCAT and applying?
I am in my 5th year of medicine here (medicine is 6 years), but I am ready to sacrifice them if I get an admission in the states but without doing an undergrad....I am very good in sciences, all of them, and I can prepare well for an MCAT if it is ok

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I want to ask if I can apply for a medical school in the US without having an undergrad degree, by just doing MCAT and applying?
I am in my 5th year of medicine here (medicine is 6 years), but I am ready to sacrifice them if I get an admission in the states but without doing an undergrad....I am very good in sciences, all of them, and I can prepare well for an MCAT if it is ok
You can take the MCAT and attend interviews but you need at least 90 undergrad hours completed before matriculating.

Hello,
So you're only 1 year short of becoming a doctor wherever you're currently at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Don't bother. You're in a severe disadvantage since US med schools would know you already were a medical student. Reapplying to US schools is a waste of time

Don't bother. You're in a severe disadvantage since US med schools would know you already were a medical student. Reapplying to US schools is a waste of time
Lol. Hey, lets not jump to hasty conclusions here. There may be a story behind this post; possibly even a compelling story.:)

Lol. Hey, lets not jump to hasty conclusions here. There may be a story behind this post; possibly even a compelling story.:)

The story is irrelevant. Once you matriculate in med school, it's very difficult to transfer to another med school, whether directly or indirectly. Of course, there are exceptions like that one guy who got kicked out of DO school and managed to get into another DO school. But that's the exception, not the norm.

OP, finish your med school first and apply to US residencies. You'll probably get crappy ones, but you'll still train in the US

Hello,

The story is irrelevant. Once you matriculate in med school, it's very difficult to transfer to another med school, whether directly or indirectly. Of course, there are exceptions like that one guy who got kicked out of DO school and managed to get into another DO school. But that's the exception, not the norm.

OP, finish your med school first and apply to US residencies. You'll probably get crappy ones, but you'll still train in the US
I don't know. The OP, so far, never mentioned anything about transferring in this particular thread. While it is true that in other countries especially in Europe one can make the rite of passage directly from high school straight into a program where one can earn the "M.D." of their respective nation in that given time frame; I/we don't quite know here, we're not the bureaucrats. Unless Agent B, ....:eyebrow:

Thanks everyone for your advice, so it turns out as a bad idea to do that :)

Koalafied, actually 2 years minus 2 months since I started 5th year just 2 months ago

As for the story behind it, my family is moving to the states at the end of this year as immigrants, and I would love to be there with them. Also I am hating my college because the level of teaching here is not that good, and I am sure any college in the US is better than here.

I don't know. The OP, so far, never mentioned anything about transferring in this particular thread. While it is true that in other countries especially in Europe one can make the rite of passage directly from high school straight into a program where one can earn the "M.D." of their respective nation in that given time frame; I/we don't quite know here, we're not the bureaucrats. Unless Agent B, ....:eyebrow:
Yes a good point is that what I want is addmission not transfer (although transfer is better haha). I have really no problem having 5 years spent on nothing.

Thanks everyone for your advice, so it turns out as a bad idea to do that :)

Koalafied, actually 2 years minus 2 months since I started 5th year just 2 months ago

As for the story behind it, my family is moving to the states at the end of this year as immigrants, and I would love to be there with them. Also I am hating my college because the level of teaching here is not that good, and I am sure any college in the US is better than here.
Congratulations.

It had appeared initially from what you had written and posted which indicated you wanting to start medical school all over again here in the U.S.; perhaps maybe in the effigy that the U.S. medical school is, indeed, world renowned and highly revered. Well then, that's a very big and flattering compliment.:oops:
You can take the MCAT and attend interviews but you need at least 90 undergrad hours completed before matriculating.
This poster knows what he/she is talking about.;)

Yes a good point is that what I want is addmission not transfer (although transfer is better haha). I have really no problem having 5 years spent on nothing.
You can try to come to the US with your family and enroll at any institution just to get the required classes out of the way, then take the MCAT and start applying.

Everything said in this thread about you being at disadvantage is true; however, since you are coming from another country there are ways your situation can be fixed for good :naughty: if you know what I mean.

What country are you from? Age?
:laugh:

Last edited:

It is a transfer but not direct means. OP already went to medical school and wants to apply to a new medical school in the US (and start over). It's just an indirect method, and I don't think US schools are receptive of that.

I'll just wait for an adcom's intake in this matter. A bunch of premeds (I know you and me aren't premeds but still) advising OP isn't the best for accuracy.

I'll just wait for an adcom's intake in this matter. A bunch of premeds (I know you and me aren't premeds but still) advising OP isn't the best for accuracy.
Aight.:p What's your wager?:naughty:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pfft. This isn't something to bet on since we know the outcome. ;)
Why not?:confused: It takes the fun out of fun. I've always wanted to have a nice red spaceship to make my ever-so-lonely Bluebird less lonely.;) You're no fun!:hungover:

Why not?:confused: It takes the fun out of fun. I've always wanted to have a nice red spaceship to make my bluebird less lonely.;) You're no fun!:hungover:

My bluebird to your bluebird:

obamadealwithit_gif.gif

:shrug: You're probably right about the Texas schools, since I usually don't care about them. Same applies for UC schools.

OP, if you can stay in your country for another year, I think it's to your advantage to finish up medical school. Afterwards, take a year to study for the USMLE's and attend a US residency. I think you will be in a much better position this way than if you were to try and attend a medical school in the US. I know many physicians, including a pediatrician in my family, who took this route. They were able to successfully finish good residencies and were accepted to fellowships are top 10 schools - now are happy practicing in the US. If you already have the training, there isn't a good reason to repeat it.

agreed-finish medical school and study for and rock the USMLE's (you're going to have to take them anyways). It may take longer than you think but probably less than four years if you set everything up in advance.

You can try to come to the US with your family and enroll at any institution just to get the required classes out of the way, then take the MCAT and start applying.

Everything said in this thread about you being at disadvantage is true; however, since you are coming from another country there are ways your situation can be fixed for good :naughty: if you know what I mean.

What country are you from? Age?
:laugh:
I am coming from Jordan,,,age 22

I didn't understand what you meant by "there are ways your situation can be fixed for good"...excuse my poor knowledge in these things

OP, if you can stay in your country for another year, I think it's to your advantage to finish up medical school. Afterwards, take a year to study for the USMLE's and attend a US residency. I think you will be in a much better position this way than if you were to try and attend a medical school in the US. I know many physicians, including a pediatrician in my family, who took this route. They were able to successfully finish good residencies and were accepted to fellowships are top 10 schools - now are happy practicing in the US. If you already have the training, there isn't a good reason to repeat it.
So basicly everyone thinks continuing here and then going for residency might be better...for me it is ofcourse time-saving and money-saving (I pay here 75k for a total of 6 years, I guess the US is double that?), but still I believe being an AMG if possible can save a lot of effort in the future

A sidenote: I am preparing for the USMLEs already, studied a little and doing step 1 in october or november maybe......the whole "entering a US school" came to my mind yesterday when my family were approved for immigration

I am coming from Jordan,,,age 22

I didn't understand what you meant by "there are ways your situation can be fixed for good"...excuse my poor knowledge in these things
Don't worry, I'll clarify it.
There is a stigma associated with students that have enrolled medical institutions prior to their application submissions. Because of the electronic system in place, you can be sure who has attended a medical school before and who hasn't. This is the advantage of a foreign applicant that comes from a third-world country, because his academic data can't be revised by the servers of our country. And, it becomes a very lengthy process if one decides to inquire into it. So, naturally, school transcripts, papers, and bureaucratic practices suffice to corroborate the status of the applicant.

:laugh::laugh:

certainly didn't seem to stop you... ever, so why stop now?

to the OP, stick it out and try to get residencies here. you essentially will need to go to college.

certainly didn't seem to stop you... ever, so why stop now?

to the OP, stick it out and try to get residencies here. you essentially will need to go to college.

Well, I'm not a premed... though I'm not in med school yet. :(

Plus I recycle facts that are already been mentioned in previous threads.

Thanks Everyone! :) much appreciated