COMP c/o 2009, where are you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stucla83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to congratulate all of those who have been accepted to DO schools. But particularly, I wanted to see if there are COMP students out there. I will be attending COMP in the Fall of '05.

Members don't see this ad.

stucla83 said:
Hi I just wanted to congratulate all of those who have been accepted to DO schools. But particularly, I wanted to see if there are COMP students out there. I will be attending COMP in the Fall of '05.

I'm still debating whether to attend COMP or go elsewhere. Do you know where I can see the match list for COMP's recent class? I can't seem to find one.

ditto, I've been accepted but I really want to see their match list...I know they have pretty solid rotation affiliations but I have yet to see where their students go after theyre done...

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am looking into the match list for COMP. I have e-mailed the director and several alumni to see what I can get a hold of. This information will go out to all of you when if I get it.

This is an older match list. I don't know if there's a more recent one.

Attachments

• matchlist 2004.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 88
thanks!! thats a pretty sweet list, looks like most people stay in cali...awesome :)

I am also on the fence.
I have lived in covina my entire life (~15minutes from campus using side-streets). I still have a fair share of schools in play and although COMP is a great school, it doesn't wow me enough to make me decide now :oops:

If you have questions about the area-or the stigma against people in the 909-let me know. :thumbup: :laugh:

edit: covina is in 626, so I am not a 909er

premyo2002 said:
If you have questions about the area-or the stigma against people in the 909-let me know. :thumbup: :laugh:

I love it! I was a 310er for 2 years and will now have to swallow my words if I get in at COMP (interviewed on 11/12). 909 woot woot!

Hello, in response to the number of requests for the residency match results for students who have attended COMP, I am posting this to help you all out in your decision. I received this from Ms. Caldwell today by e-mail. She is from the Rotation Office at COMP. These look like pretty solid match results for the years 2002, 2003, and 2004. Most students do end up staying in CA which is pretty nice.

Attachments

• Match 2002.doc
    80 KB · Views: 224
Sorry, I tried to attach the 2003 and 2004 match lists but these files are too large. The program only takes 100kB, and both are each 250kB. I don't want to alter the files for the sake of guarding their authenticity if you know what I mean. But if you are a prospective COMP student and you are really interested in this information to make your decision, then by all means I recommend you e-mail Ms. Knight who is knowledgeable of the residencies undertaken by the COMP students. Best of luck to all of you.

i will be there next year. congrats to all of you. the clinical years are really strong, my friend is a 3rd year. the preclinical years are being modified right now to get the teach for board scores mentality from what the dean told us on interview day.

any of you looking for places to stay yet? i was looking at this place down the street. seems okay, but word from the students is that I should live in montclair, laverne or chino hills and drive in.

also, i just sent my officials transripts to them, and trying to get all my immunizations together, which is gonna be rough, its been years since i last needed that little yellow card. we also need to be first aid certified right? FYI im not neurotic, im just gonna be out of the country for several months and need to get this stuff organized.

hope to meet you all next year!

I'm in too! Just found out today, whoo hoo!

congrats to everyone accepted, and hope to see you there next fall. it's a great place to be, and most everyone is very laidback and friendly. just be prepared to work hard and you'll be rewarded for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello COMP class of 2009.
I am sort of concerned about the cost of this school, as I will have to take everything in loans. Does anybody else feel this way? Or you are all pretty sure that it will be easy to pay it back later on?

joy2004 said:
I am sort of concerned about the cost of this school, as I will have to take everything in loans. Does anybody else feel this way? Or you are all pretty sure that it will be easy to pay it back later on?

Joy-

Get used to saying these five simple words, "put it on my tab!"

joy2004 said:

regardless of what DO school you will attend, they will all cost around 50K (tuition and expenses) a year, at least all the ones i have interviewed at anyways.

yes, you will be able to repay it. furthermore, there are tons of loans you can get and scholarships too. for example the military has one, if you take a loan from them they will pay all your expenses plus stipend, but you have to work for them once you graduate. also, theres a primary care loan. if you are sure you want to go into primary care, they also cover all you expenses and stipend, but you must enter primary care or be penalized. there are others too. sorry if you already know this.

stucla83

Ms Caldwell = male

HE is the head of the rotations office. :laugh:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Joy-

Get used to saying these five simple words, "put it on my tab!"
Hey JMC, check your Marine Corps to medicine thread. I just posted there.

joy2004 said:

Yeah, when I decided to go back to school last year so I could apply to med school it was pretty much a given that I was going to have to borrow mid-30s every year for tuition and expenses on top of that. Going into family practice, that's not going to be easy to pay back, but it's what I wanna do, so I'm doin' it.

hey all..congrats to those who have been accepted! i have my interview there on friday-- if all goes well, maybe i will be joining you next year ;)

premyo2002 said:
I am also on the fence.
I have lived in covina my entire life (~15minutes from campus using side-streets). I still have a fair share of schools in play and although COMP is a great school, it doesn't wow me enough to make me decide now :oops:

edit: covina is in 626, so I am not a 909er

I'm on the fence too. I grew up in Lake Arrowhead (909 !) but am not really sure if I want to stay in So Cal. Did you interview anywhere else that you liked? I was really impressed with Touro Nevada. Let me know you decision. I'll keep you posted when I make mine. ;)

i just found out i got accepted at accepted at COMP!
my first acceptance!
we're gonna be doctors!!!

snuffles04 said:
i just found out i got accepted at accepted at COMP!
my first acceptance!
we're gonna be doctors!!!
congratulations, its a good feeling isnt it? COMP was also my first :sniff: so it hols a special place... :p

acl3623 said:
congratulations, its a good feeling isnt it? COMP was also my first :sniff: so it hols a special place... :p

Congrats to you all, my future classmates! So far I am going to COMP next summer, unless some unexpected miracle happens that late during admissions process with other schools.
I hope that my future classmates will take advantage of being a student, and will party hard! Yeah, you do have to study, but what I liked about COMP is impression that student body is very laid back, not competitive, and supportive. Of course, there will be nerds and others. But I do sincerely look forward making bonds with people who might turn out to be my colleagues in a future. I think its people who surround us are the ones that make our experiences so worthy.

first off, congratulations to all of you. do you feel that you have made it over a hurdle and now it humbles you that you will partake in your medical education and will soon enough be caring for people?! i see the world in a different light now. i just hope i remember how hard it was and will try to throw the rope back over to help other students.

anyone dead set on the summer anatomy course? i really need to do it i think.

anyone scoping places to live yet either? i checked this one place down the street, but it was nice, but the area blows. maybe chino, laverne or montclaire.

snuffles, what year did you graduate UCLA?

Congrats to everyone's acceptance. I personally just had a blast with my 1st semester at COMP. I don't think I would choose to do it any other way
if I had the chance to. I am sure a great majority of my classmates(if not everyone) feel as good as I do about what we just went through and what we have going for us. I'm also sure that you COMP 2009ers will have as big of a blast, especially when we 2008ers will be around to spice it up for you guys.

Congrats again!

hotlikebutter said:
first off, congratulations to all of you. do you feel that you have made it over a hurdle and now it humbles you that you will partake in your medical education and will soon enough be caring for people?! i see the world in a different light now. i just hope i remember how hard it was and will try to throw the rope back over to help other students.

anyone dead set on the summer anatomy course? i really need to do it i think.

anyone scoping places to live yet either? i checked this one place down the street, but it was nice, but the area blows. maybe chino, laverne or montclaire.

snuffles, what year did you graduate UCLA?

I graduated spring 2004 (still waiting to pickup my diploma! :eek: )

I live in Chino Hills right now (my hometown - another reason why I was so glad to get accepted at Western), which is really close to the school and a nice, clean sort of area, but kind of on the expensive side (upper middle class area, so if you don't mind paying more for the "atmosphere" it's a good place). I know quite a few students who live here. Chino, Montclair, La Verne and Pomona are all pretty inexpensive, and are still close enough to nice shopping areas and everything. There are good places and bad places in all these cities, so it really is best if you come down here to really look for yourself. The good thing is that unlike the areas around some colleges, you can probably find an apartment even if you wait till the last minute.
hope this helps. :D

Congratulations everyone!
Anyone have problems with the deposit?
I mailed mine awhile ago and then earlier today (12-27-04) I received my deposit envelope marked return to sender: I had a similar problem with my secondary application and I am starting to think someone in the Post Office doesn’t want me to go to Medical School. Knowing that it is due by January 1st, I panicked and drove to campus to drop off the check as well as the required form, only to find that campus is closed until January 3, 2005- I should have called. I know that I should have mailed the check sooner, but I had problems securing the money and I wanted to make sure I didn’t bounce the check. I plan on going down there on monday- hopefully they will let me slide!

Hotlikebutter: I don't think I am going to do the summer classes either. I think i deserve some sort of rest before this mess. I am personally looking in either the La Verne or Montclair area.

Leilani37:
I have interviewed at MSUCOM, UNECOM, DMU, Western and UVM. I was accepted to MSUCOM, UNECOM, DMU, as well as Western and was put on the waitlist at UVM. I withdrew my applications to TOURO, AZCOM and NYCOM due to my lack of Money! I would have loved to interview at these schools, but I thought it would be better to pick through what I have. Right now I am not sure what I would do if I was accepted to UVM off the waitlist- So, i may still be on the fence! That is, if COMP will let me turn in my deposit.

If you are given an opportunity to do ISAC -- DO IT! There is no good reason to blow a perfect chance to get a head start. Not to mention that anytime you can lighten your course load by 9.5 units that's a good thing. Imagine how you might do in your other classes not having the burden of the beast to deal with.

how many other bruins are coming next year; we have a bunch in our class this year and there are a ton in the class of '07; if any of you are still at ucla and are OBEE; do the FBQ...you'll regret it if you don't

i got to spend three weeks in the outback studying birds and ants with 14 other students

snuffles04 said:
I graduated spring 2004 (still waiting to pickup my diploma! :eek: )

I live in Chino Hills right now (my hometown - another reason why I was so glad to get accepted at Western), which is really close to the school and a nice, clean sort of area, but kind of on the expensive side (upper middle class area, so if you don't mind paying more for the "atmosphere" it's a good place). I know quite a few students who live here. Chino, Montclair, La Verne and Pomona are all pretty inexpensive, and are still close enough to nice shopping areas and everything. There are good places and bad places in all these cities, so it really is best if you come down here to really look for yourself. The good thing is that unlike the areas around some colleges, you can probably find an apartment even if you wait till the last minute.
hope this helps. :D

hey i just got accepted to Western/COMP...nobody has posted on this thread for a while; what's up with that!

seev99 said:
hey i just got accepted to Western/COMP...nobody has posted on this thread for a while; what's up with that!

There is another COMP 2009 thread in the Osteopathic Forum.