University of Miami Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so has anyone heard anything? thanks arsenic for the info-they're only prolly gonna accept 3 today? i had the feeling that by now there were more spots than that, but what do i know...

Members don't see this ad.

Ya ... 5 people doesnt look too optimistic....gosh, waitlists are the worst...but thanks arsenic for the info!!

Members don't see this ad :)
at least the wait list is moving... although even 15 people doesn't sound like that many to me

flamingo05 said:
i think the alternate list is making us all crazy!! kcnic, haven't heard from you in awhile... just wondering are you still interested in miami? And for everyone else... was anyone wait listed in the fall?... i was just wondering what a wait list letter from them would say back then since all of our letters are saying it is b/c the class is full. Well good luck to everyone and try to remember the acceptance numbers he told us when we interviewed looked good! (sorry trying to be the optimist even though i'm going insane as well)

flamingo05- Sorry I haven't replied to your question until now... but I actually withdrew last week from the list. Good luck to all of you still waiting there!

well i'm glad you got into your first choice school, kcnic, although i would have liked to have you as a potential classmate. Good luck! hmmm so no one has heard anything yet??

I heard the list is 142 people from Hinkley...that sucks. :eek:

I've read in a few threads that at least 2 people have been taken off...(not that we didnt already know that, but at least we know who they are :laugh: )....142 is a lot...but when i called a month or so ago...agnes told me that last yr they took off half.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :luck: :luck: .... :scared: ....

bh88- What threads were those?
db1- I take it that youre on the waitlist. When did you interview, if you dont mind saying.

I was accepted today but declined my offer and recommended that the spot be given to someone on this board...I won't say whom. Dr. Hinkley said that upon my recommendation, he would accept that applicant...

My take on Miami:

First people off the list (who got the letter about being in the top 10 percent) have already been offered.

Second group (like I, who got the letter "excellent recommendation") are being offered or already have.

The "good" recommendations have not been reached yet...

I am on the wait list also. I interviewed in the middle of March and got the "good" rating that most people seemed to have gotten...

Obviously the wait list is complete, and seems to be ranked, so I don't understand the rationale behind not telling us our ranking. At least a rough percentile ranking or something. If I am number 142, then I don't have to jump everytime the phone rings :mad:

That would be good information to have. :) I do not like waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey arteurasia -- congrats on the acceptance! (although you declined :) )... i was just wondering, did they contact by phone or email? I, too, was running to the phone at every ring...but in another thread, i saw that somenoe said email...so now i: check email, pick up phone, check email, pick up phone...goood luck to us allllllllllllllllllllllllllll! :luck: :thumbup: so this OCD can stop.

I totally understand these actions. I received a call from a private number today and got really excited. It however was not from Miami though...it was a call from my bf using a private number. haha. At least we know the list is moving and we have something to possibly look forward too! :)

I know this whole wait list thing has turned me into a compulsive person!! I, agree, they should tell us where we stand. I'd rather know straight up if I don't really have a great chance or not, I hate getting my hopes up!! And yes I obsessively stare at my phone day after day, but I usually give up hope around 4 pm and decide to actually get out of the house and do something. The joys of waiting....

Yeah I've been daydreaming all day all week all month how awesome it would be if I could go to Miami. AWWWww I want to go to Miami so bad... I wish there was a contest where we can show how badly we want to go there!

Good luck everyone!

Dr. Hinkley sends an e-mail message saying that you are next on the alternate list but that there is only room at the BOCA campus...do you want the spot?

I think it's a bluff--if you really insist on the main campus you can get it...maybe...

arteurasia, I have a question... when you applied did you apply for the Boca campus, Miami campus, or put either?

arteurasia said:
Dr. Hinkley sends an e-mail message saying that you are next on the alternate list but that there is only room at the BOCA campus...do you want the spot?

I think it's a bluff--if you really insist on the main campus you can get it...maybe...

I was sent an email also telling me that the Main campus is full and if I was interested in the Boca campus. Sucks! :(

Hey negrito- congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering, did he (they) give you the option of waiting for the miami campus ? thanks! and :thumbup:

I was not accepted, he just sent me an email stating that the main campus is full right now, and whenever a spot opens he would contact me.

arteurasia said:

I'd take the spot, get accepted and call back the next day and say I want the Miami campus. :smuggrin:

Seriously though... try to go to Miami, the FAU program is nice but it still has some bugs in it since its only a year old.

well at least you guys heard something... are people being accepted into the Boca campus and then if they want the main campus they are the first ones to get the openings?

Negrito6 said:
I was not accepted, he just sent me an email stating that the main campus is full right now, and whenever a spot opens he would contact me.

Oh, sorry for the misinterpreting...but maybe its foreshadowing something good to come! :thumbup:

trying to stay more :luck: :D :) and less :thumbdown: :mad: :scared:

yes, it does sound like you could be hearing some good news soon negrito. I'm really bummed about there being no openings at the Miami campus. I really want to continue w/ research and that was a huge reason I wanted to go to Miami, but I hadn't heard much about research at Boca... although I don't really know. Are any of you considering the Boca campus if that's the only way you can get accepted? I don't know what I would do if that was offered to me and was wondering if any of you had heard any really great things about it? Although at this point I'm not even getting emails telling me that the main campus is full, so I'm thinking it's not looking good for me either way right now. Anyways good luck everyone... tomorrow is yet another day of waiting

I told them when I accepted a spot on the wait list that I would take the Boca campus. I would rather be at the main campus for research reasons also. I haven't heard much about the research opportunities in boca, but I have a Ph.D. in molecular biology and have done 2 years as a postdoc, so I don't think a couple of years off will hurt me too much. It's the clinical opportunities at Jackson that are really the draw for me...

bump....any new information out there? I think we were spoiled by having arsenic as our inside informant. well...if it is accurate that most acceptances from the waitlist will happen by the end of may...i cant help but be :scared: but i'm trying to think :luck: .
i love these emoticons.

Hi! Here are some comments/observations from Robert Hinkley:

1. Having to wait on the alternate list does indeed suck. I couldn't agree more. I know some of you are out there waiting to hear from me and I wish I could call you this instant, but I can't.

2. The alternate list here at Miller started moving on May 11. The same thing probably happened at nearly all US medical schools.

3. I notify people initially by email and ask them to write back or CALL as soon as possible so everyone should read their email at least occasionally.

4. We have two campuses. If one is full, I will indeed offer the next student on the list a place at the one that's not full. The student then has two choices: a) accept the place and ask to transfer to the other campus when a spot opens up, or 2) remain on our alternate list for a place to open at the preferred campus. Transferring between campuses occurs in a chronological way. The accepted students who ask to transfer are transferred when a place becomes available before students who ask to transfer later. We will try to accommodate all accepted students before we admit someone from the alternate list to that campus. It is my responsibility that we have exactly 150 students at the Miami Campus and exactly 32 students at the Boca Campus. That's not easy to do.

5. I've never admitted any applicant on the recommendation of any student, either one who has been accepted or one who has withdrawn. I have a ranked alternate list that I am obligated to use as mandated by legislation of the faculty of the School of Medicine. I don't even do this for alumni, faculty members, or other administrators!!!!

6. Most withdrawals occur around May 15 (both before and shortly afterward. But some students continue to hold multiple acceptances well into June despite the AMCAS traffic rules to which they agreed when they filled out their AMCAS application. When they finally do make up their minds and withdraw that creates a vacancy that I need to fill. That can occur anytime up until orientation begins in August.

7. Another flurry of withdrawals occurs when we post the due date for a deposit. At that time we offer a compensatory number of acceptances from the alternate list.

8. Finally, if you interviewed with us, you know from my presentation on the interview day that the chances of being accepted from the alternate list are fairly good, at least eventually.

If anyone has any more questions or comments, feel free to write to me anytime at [email protected]. As you well know, this is one of the busiest times of the year for any admissions office and Agnes is on a well-deserved vacation but I'll try to answer questions as best I can.

Robert Hinkley said:
Hi! Here are some comments/observations from Robert Hinkley:

1. Having to wait on the alternate list does indeed suck. I couldn't agree more. I know some of you are out there waiting to hear from me and I wish I could call you this instant, but I can't....

Guys, please take this post seriously as it really is a personal note from Dr.Hinkley to the applicants on the UMiami alternate list. I'm not kidding.

bump. Good Luck guys. As you can see from Dr. Hinkley, taking his time to fill the post above, Miami cares. We work together and it really is a great place to learn.

CANE FOR LIFE
MS-1
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

thank you for the information, Dr. Hinkley... that cleared everything up a lot!! just wanted to say that i think that was really cool... not many deans would join SDN to help us out!!

Yeah Thanks so much for clearing everything up Dr. Hinkley. As Nflow mentioned, it really shows how much Miami cares about students! Thank you for putting rumors to rest and giving us a clear idea of what's going on....

that is so cool that Dr. Hinkley took the time to get on here and tell us what's up and everything. Has anybody heard anything recently?

kailey said:
that is so cool that Dr. Hinkley took the time to get on here and tell us what's up and everything. Has anybody heard anything recently?

I spoke to him yesterday, he reminded me that your chances of eventually being accepted by Miami once you interview here is between 2/3 to 3/4! Don't freak out thinking you're that 1/4 that doesn't get in just because you haven't been taken off the list yet, there's still time! :thumbup:

haha, thanks arsenic. its good to hear you guys 'in the know' being optimistic for us! :thumbup: would you happen to know when we can expect the next 'flurry'? maybe give us the date the deposits are due? :luck:

Just got the acceptance letter for the Miami campus. I love Dr. Hinkley.

Congrats bqj!!!! thats awesome! I think we all love dr hinkley. are you going to attend miami? :thumbup:

CongratS!! goodluck to everyone else.

Congrats bqj !! goodluck to everyone else.

Congrats bqj. What rating did you get on your alternate list letter?

The "good" one. Thanks yall.

I love Hinkley too!!! :love: :love: :love: And I also love Arsenic. He's the best!!!!!! I just love going to school with him and so will all of you. ;)

Indebt4Life said:
I love Hinkley too!!! :love: :love: :love: And I also love Arsenic. He's the best!!!!!! I just love going to school with him and so will all of you. ;)

Hey.

I didn't know there was another 2008er on here except Alex. What's up! Hope you are preparing hard for competency week :D

has anybody heard anything? like, is the waitlist still moving or has it pretty much come to a hault?

HI all,

I called the office today and was told that the list is still moving and should continue to do so until classes begin (as was expected).

I am not sure if that means that the bulk of the movement is still happening... Does anyone else know?

Good luck to all of you! Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon :)

Minimal5 said:
HI all,

I called the office today and was told that the list is still moving and should continue to do so until classes begin (as was expected).

I am not sure if that means that the bulk of the movement is still happening... Does anyone else know?

Good luck to all of you! Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon :)

thanks for the info! Hopefully somebody out there is getting pulled off the waitlists, if not here...i think theres still alot of time left...esp since the deposit for the accepted students is going to be soon...so hopefullly we'll see some withdrawals in our favor! :luck: :luck: :luck:

bh88 said:
thanks for the info! Hopefully somebody out there is getting pulled off the waitlists, if not here...i think theres still alot of time left...esp since the deposit for the accepted students is going to be soon...so hopefullly we'll see some withdrawals in our favor! :luck: :luck: :luck:

bump