AACOM submissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also math like calc and stats dont count towards sci gpa rite???

Members don't see this ad.

stoleyerscrubz said:
you have to make it a .zip file. This site does not take files with the .xls extension.

Thanks!

Attached is an excel layout I used to calculate my GPA.

Attachments

• GPA calculation.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,045
deadseafishing said:
also math like calc and stats dont count towards sci gpa rite???
this is correct

Members don't see this ad :)
deadseafishing said:
anyone know how we calculate labs in the middle of all this? since labs are usually 1 or 2 credits only...does that make a difference?

if you are talking about the AACOMAS.xls file then:
you can put 1 credit or 2 credits then. even .5 credits or .33 credits if you would like. does not matter.

enter the grade points and then calculate the grade points yourself.

thanks!! :D

is anyone putting courses they plan to take next semester or not?

I'm under the impression that you need to put all of the classes you plan to take as an undergrad and mark them as "not yet taken". Am I right?

deadseafishing said:
thanks!! :D

is anyone putting courses they plan to take next semester or not?

stoleyerscrubz said:
this is correct

wait, WHAT? did i miss something? calc doesnt count towards science GPA? since when?

Just wondering if I should list a college that I plan to attend/applying to for a master in healthcare administration between now and August 2006. I am in the process of applying but do not know if I'll get in, yet. Also, it takes longer than from now 'til Aug '06 to finish. I plan to finish it during the summers during med school. So my question is should I list it as planned to attend and how should I enter degree received and date? I don't want adcom to use it as a factor in admitting me into their med school and require me to have the degree before med school starts next fall (fall '06).

Maths count towards AMCAS' science GPA but not AACOMAS'.

I took "statistics for biologists" in the biology department. Would this classify as a math course?

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit trouble with the application. I recently retook Chem I and it's split into 1 credit lab and 4 credit lecture. When I took it the first time at a different school, it was a combined lab/lec class of 4 credits. How do I enter the classes as retakes when the credits don't match and when one class is split into lec and lab with different course numbers?

Also, is it better to take biochemistry and microbiology to show I can handle upper level courses or is it better to retake 2 courses that I got C's in to boost my GPA?

Thanks.
Steve

Does anyone understand how this works? I tried to use the repeat function but it doesn't want to show the credits. Is this function only if the school made you repeat a class because of an F?

For example, I did not do very well my 1st two years of undergrad. I received a C+ in chem. Many moons later I took it over and received an A, but the class was taken at a different school.

Do I say it's a repeat and not worry that it is showing 0 credits or do I not even bother? If I say it is a repeat than does AACOM not count the bad grade in my GPA calculation?

Confused.....

Yes it is considered a repeat.

The reason the original class shows up as 0 credits is becuase it is not calculated into the GPA. The retaken class will have it's credits and grade points calculated into your GPA.

D. Helix said:
Does anyone understand how this works? I tried to use the repeat function but it doesn't want to show the credits. Is this function only if the school made you repeat a class because of an F?

For example, I did not do very well my 1st two years of undergrad. I received a C+ in chem. Many moons later I took it over and received an A, but the class was taken at a different school.

Do I say it's a repeat and not worry that it is showing 0 credits or do I not even bother? If I say it is a repeat than does AACOM not count the bad grade in my GPA calculation?

Confused.....

i have a question about course names. this is how the course appears on my transcript: MCELLBI 32 Intro Human Physiology. so under the course names on the app. form, do i put MCELLBI or intro human physiology? thanks!

markboonya said:
i have a question about course names. this is how the course appears on my transcript: MCELLBI 32 Intro Human Physiology. so under the course names on the app. form, do i put MCELLBI or intro human physiology? thanks!

put intro to human physiology.
MCELLBI looks like a departmental designation, not a course name.

another question, i took biological psychology- the course content was very bio/anatomy heavy. will this fall under the subject bio/zoology or do i have to classify it as behavioral science?

DrMom said:
put intro to human physiology.
MCELLBI looks like a departmental designation, not a course name.

wow, thanks for the quick reply! thanks! looks like i am gonna have to go back and change all my course names.

markboonya said:
another question, i took biological psychology- the course content was very bio/anatomy heavy. will this fall under the subject bio/zoology or do i have to classify it as behavioral science?

Was the course offered under the psych/beh sci dept or the bio dept? That will answer your question.

I recently retook Chem I and Chem I Lab which are 5 credits together. When I took it the first time at a different school, it was 4 credits. How do I enter the classes as retake since the credits don't match?

Also, is it better to take biochemistry and microbiology to show I can handle upper level courses or is it better to retake 2 courses that I got C's in to boost my GPA?

Thanks

In my opinion, you should repeat your C's if both of your GPAs are lower than a 3.2. At least that's what I chose to do with mine. Although some may suggest that you should prove that you've changed and can handle upper level classes. But, do you think you will have a chance to prove yourself if your GPAs are low? NOPE! Numbers are still important. Having said that, I retook my C's along with taking many upper level science classes.

It would be interesting to see what the answer is for your first question though. I have the same problem. The first time I took chemistry it was 4 credits for lecture and 1 cr for lab. The school that I am attending, however, only assigned 3 Crs for lecture and 1 for lab. I assume that if I retake the 5 Crs total will be wiped out and replaced with 4 Crs of retake. In other word it doesn't matter. Your first attempt will show 0 (zero) credits. Just enter it in the same manner as any other retake. Does everyone agree?

timmah2k said:
I recently retook Chem I and Chem I Lab which are 5 credits together. When I took it the first time at a different school, it was 4 credits. How do I enter the classes as retake since the credits don't match?

Thanks

I don't see why it would matter since you get zero grade points and zero hours for the original course. It is not figured into the GPA so it will not matter if the number of hours are different in the 2 classes.If they averaged the grades it would be a problem but AACOM does NOT do that.

FutureDocDO said:
It would be interesting to see what the answer is for your first question though. I have the same problem. The first time I took chemistry it was 4 credits for lecture and 1 cr for lab. The school that I am attending, however, only assigned 3 Crs for lecture and 1 for lab. I assume that if I retake the 5 Crs total will be wiped out and replaced with 4 Crs of retake. In other word it doesn't matter. Your first attempt will show 0 (zero) credits. Just enter it in the same manner as any other retake. Does everyone agree?

stoleyerscrubz said:
Yes it is considered a repeat.

The reason the original class shows up as 0 credits is becuase it is not calculated into the GPA. The retaken class will have it's credits and grade points calculated into your GPA.

stoleyerscrubz

Thanks for the info regarding repeats! I guess that works to our advantage