Pharmacy FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-Pharmacy students may also be interested in visiting the Pre-Pharmacy FAQ and the PCAT FAQ.

Getting ready to head to Pharmacy School
Why do I need more immunizations before starting school?
What immunizations do I need before starting school?
How am I going to finance my Pharm.D.?

PDAs
What kind of PDA software might I find useful?

Pharmacy Organizations (in progress)
What professional pharmacy organizations might I participate in at my school?
What fraternal pharmacy organizations might I participate in at my school?
What other organizations might I need to be familiar with?

Internships
How can I get work experience in a pharmacy?
What do internships usually pay?
What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and why do I need one?

Licensure
What exams are required for licensure?
Can I be licensed in more than one state?
How does a foreign pharmacist apply for US licensure?

NAPLEX
When is the NAPLEX offered?
What can I do to prepare for the NAPLEX?
Is there a NAPLEX FAQ available from NABP?

Board Certification Specialties
What specialties require board certification and how do I pursue those specialties?

Residencies and Fellowships
What is a residency? And, how is it different than a fellowship?
Why should I consider a residency?
What types of residencies are available?
How much do residencies typically pay?
What do I need to know about asking for letters of reference?
What advice do you have about my personal statement?
Where can I find more information on residencies?

Salary
How much do pharmacists make?

Useful Pharmacy Links
Blogs
Drug and medical references
Pharmacy magazines
Pharmacy organizations

SDN Pharmacy Classes - Add Yourself to the Roll Call
Class of 2006/2007 (professional coursework began in 2003)
Class of 2007/2008 (professional coursework began in 2004)
Class of 2008/2009 (professional coursework to began in 2005)

"Get to Know You" Threads
Lets see who we're dealing with!
Tell me about yourself....

Other classics
Laws of learning
Post your pharmacy jokes!
The Official "Blame it on Bananaface & FutureRxGal" thread
(note: formerly known as The "Blame it on JDPharmd? and South 2006" thread)
Things I Learn from My Patients.
What is your favorite looking pill?

The purpose of this FAQ/Links sticky is to allow forum users to find answers to common questions without sorting through clutter. It is a work in progress and your input is greatly appreciated. If you are interested in contributing information to the FAQ, critiquing FAQ sections, or contributing on some other way, please PM me or post in the FAQ input thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are most likely to find entry level work experience in a retail or hospital setting. In some states you may be able to find employment as a pharmacy technician without prior experience or schooling. In other areas, schooling or on the job experience may be required. In those areas you are most likely to begin as a cashier or pharmacy assistant. Matching up with an employer is often a matter of luck.

When looking for a hospital pharmacy position you will often deal directly with a personnel department and all open positions will be made public. Calling the hospital personnel department or the pharmacy department secretary is often the best way to find out if a position is open or anticipated. Volunteering is in a hospital pharmacy sometimes a good way to move into paid position.

To find out who is hiring for retail positions in your area you can call or drop by stores that you are interested in. Calling is often the most efficient way to sort through potential employment sites. Be sure to ask for the pharmacy manager, as they do the hiring and may be open to a new employee but not actively looking. To create a positive first impression, avoid calling during busy times such as just after opening or the midafternoon to early evening. If you drop by to pick up an application, be sure to dress as you would for a job interview and to be prepared with a resume. It is a good idea to go out in the late morning to early afternoon to increase the chances that you will meet the pharmacy manager and to avoid stressing the staff by coming during a busy time.

When you speak to a potential employer, mentioning that you are interested in eventually attending pharmacy school can give you an advantage over other candidates. Many employers are interested in developing positive relationships with potential pharmacy students, in the hopes that they will eventually become pharmacists with their company. Other times, employers may prefer someone who does not anticipate leaving for school. It is best to be up front about your ambitions, especially if you plan on asking your employer for a letter of reference during the application process.

Thank you to FutureRXGal for critiquing this section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Selecting good references is a critical part of the application process. Generally, your references will be academic (professors) or professional (pharmacists). When your recommendation is considered by a school, more than the strength of the recommendation is considered.

Your relationship to the recommender is key. An impersonal recommendation from a prestigious professor you had for a single course is not likely to go as far as a well thought out, sincere letter from a professor who worked with you closely for an entire year at a community college. Be sure to pick the people who you feel are most strongly connected to you.

Even a well qualified candidate needs to take steps to ensure that his or her references have the material necessary to author strong a letter of recommendation. At the bare minimum, you should provide a resume/CV and a copy of a letter of intent or admissions essay to each reference. Ideally, you will sit down for ten to fifteen minutes and discuss your motivations, areas of interest, activities, achievements, personal values, and other qualifications. A letter from a well informed reference will strengthen your application by supporting the assertations in your personal statement.

It is best to choose references and request letters early in the application process. Etiquette dictates that you give each reference at least one month to write your letter. You should provide the recommender with a stamped pre-addressed envelope in which to mail your recommendation. You can also provide each reference with a stamped post card addressed to yourself to be mailed with the recommendation. Asking for the letter to be completed by a specific date earlier than the due date is also advisable.

Potential components:
*Attributes that will help you succeed in pharmacy
*Areas of interest within the profession
*Discussion of prior extenuating circumstances (this can be deferred to the interview)
*Unique or special attributes that make you an asset to the field
*What motivates you to pursue pharmacy

Things to do:
*Answer the prompt completely
*Be enthusiastic
*Be memorable
*Be positive
*Exercise good communication skills
*Explain why you are an excellent candidate
*Have at least two people read your essay and give you feedback
*Make a formal statement of your goal to pursue pharmacy as a career
*Show your personality
*Write formally

Things to avoid:
*Assuming that the reader is familiar with the rest of your application
*Beginning multiple sentences with "I"
*Clich?s
*Content out of the scope of the prompt
*Contractions
*Fractions
*Grammatical errors
*Modesty
*More than one topic per paragraph
*Negativity of any sort
*Obvious exaggeration
*Parentheses, except when defining an acronym that will be commonly used
*Repeating the same phrase
*Slang
*Spelling errors
*Unconventional punctuation
*Undefined acronyms
*Wishy-washiness (i.e.: saying "I believe/think/feel that I am an excellent candidate because... " when you should say " I am an excellent candidate because...")

Your personal statement should be proofread and critiqued before submission. You should check and correct the spelling and grammar in your statement before asking others to read it. Aside from being courteous, this preparation allows those critiquing your essay to focus on content and style rather than basic writing skills.

Here is a link to a thread in which you can find readers for your personal statement.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=206001

Your pharmacy school will require you to provide documentation showing that you are adequately immunized and to complete any missing vaccinations as a condition of entry to your professional program. As a healthcare professional, you will be exposed to individuals suffering from infectious diseases. It is important that you be adequately immunized, not only for your own safety, but to preserve the health of your patients and co-workers. Because immunization requirements have changed over the years, and because immunity can wane, the childhood vaccinations which you received may not be adequate.

Intern pay rates vary widely by region. Typical beginning wages are between $13 and $15 per hour. In some areas wages can start as low as $9 per hour for a first year intern. In others they have been reported as high as $23 to $27 per hour for graduate level interns. To find out what is typical for your area, talk to other students from your school.

A relevant thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=201773

A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is similar to a resume, but more comprehensive. A CV essentially catalogs every aspect of your entire professional experience, with no time constraints. You will most likely be expected to provide a CV when applying for a position as a pharmacist. Although many pharmacy internships may not require a CV, submitting one may enhance your chances of being selected for the position.

Because a CV is such a comprehensive document, it is important to establish a CV now and add your experiences as they occur. Keep your CV current by updating it every few months. After a 25 year career, it is not uncommon for the document to span many pages. Your lifetime professional experience is not abridged in a CV.

Basic sections include:
*Name and contact information
*Goals statement/Career objectives
*Education
*Professional certifications and licensure
*Professional work history
*Professional organization membership
*References (optional)

Sections to be included if applicable include:
*Leadership roles
*Committee membership
*Publications authored or edited
*Presentations given at professional meetings or other gatherings
*University affiliation (ie: adjunct faculty status)

Sections specific to current pharmacy students include:
*Conference attendance
*Extracurricular activities not covered above

Recent experiences should generally be catalogued in a linear fashion with the most recent experience at the top of the document. Work history can alternatively be sorted by skill type. However, unless your employment history has large gaps, this approach is not recommended.

Important information should be located earliest in the document. Basic sections, with the exception of references, are generally included before the work history, while other sections typically follow the work history. References are always the final portion of the document. While you may choose to include full contact information for your references, it may be adviseable to simply note that "references are available upon request". This strategy allows you to know who will be contacting your references, so that you can advise them ahead of time. Some prefer not to include references on their CV.

Care should be taken to make your CV clear and concise. Formatting should be performed in a manner so that section headers can be located easily and pertinent information can be read with minimal effort. Short sentences, indentation, and bulleted items can increase reading ease. Use of bullets should be sparse.

Typeface differences, case, and text layout are used to distinguish sections. Underlining section headers is not necessary. Sans-serif fonts (non-footed) such as Arial, Helvetica, or Verdana are ideal for section headers. Bold font can be used in headers, if desired. Serif fonts (footed) font such as Times New Roman or Garamond are ideal for section content. It is best to avoid monospace, script, or decorative fonts, as they distract from the content of your CV.

The document should be printed in black and white on a quality grade of plain white or off-white paper. To remove the underline and color from a web address, place the cursor after the last character of the address and hit the backspace key one time to deactivate the hyperlink. Only if you are submitting an electronic CV should you leave the hyperlinks active.

Be sure to check for spelling errors both electronically and manually.

A cover letter should nearly always be submitted along with your CV. The exception would be when you distribute your CV to many different potential employers at a job fair and have no opportunity to prepare a cover letter. If you are invited for an interview after a job fair, bring another copy of your CV to the interview, along with a position specific cover letter.

Current pharmacy student CV example (scroll down; requires Adobe Reader)
Recent pharmacy school graduate CV example

Thank you to GravyRPH for critiquing this section

Students generally finance their Pharm.D. through federal and private loans. Scholarships can be earned, but are very competitive.

Unconditional grants are generally not available. However, some employers will pay a portion of a student's tuition while they remain working for the company. Others may offer tuition help in exchange for a promise to remain with the employer for a specified amount of time after graduation.

You can discuss this topic with other students in the Financial Aid forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Immunizations required for healthcare professionals generally* include:

Diphtheria
Requirement:
a) a single dose within the past 10 years if childhood series of 3 shots is complete or b) a series of three shots if the childhood series is not complete - the second dose is to be given at least 4 weeks after the first and the third dose is to be given at least 6 months after the second dose
Disease information
Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccine information sheet (toxoid)
Diphtheria entry from the Pink Book

Hepatitis A
Requirement:
a) two doses separated by at least six months for the standard Hepatitis A vaccine or b) three doses with the second dose given 1 month after the first dose and the third dose given five months after the second dose when the Hepatitis A/Hepatitis B combination vaccine is used.
Disease information
Hepatitis A vaccine information sheet (inactivated)
Hepatitis A entry from the Pink Book

Hepatitis B
Requirement:
three doses according to the following schedule: the second dose is to be given at least four weeks after the first dose and the third dose is to be given at least 8 weeks after the second dose and at least 16 weeks after the first dose when the standard vaccine is used or b) three doses with the second dose given 1 month after the first dose and the third dose given five months after the second dose when the Hepatitis A/Hepatitis B combination vaccine is used.
Disease information
Hepatitis B vaccine information sheet (recombinant)
Hepatitis B entry from the Pink Book

Influenza Virus
Requirement:
a single dose within the past year
Disease information
Live intranasal influenza vaccine information sheet - most effective
Inactivated influenza information sheet
Influenza virus entry from the Pink Book

Measles (Ruebeola)
Requirement:
a) two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine given at least four weeks apart for those born in 1957 or later or 2) birth prior to 1957 leads to an assumption of immunity - no vaccination is required (If you have not had Measles, recieving immunization is still adviseable.)
Disease information
Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccine information sheet (live, attenuated)
Measles entry from the Pink Book

Meningococcal Disease (Meiningitis)
Requirement:
a single dose
Meningococcal Disease information
Meningococcal vaccine information sheet (inactivated)
Meningococcal Disease entry from the Pink Book

Mumps
Requirement:
a) two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine given at least four weeks apart for those born in 1957 or later or 2) birth prior to 1957 leads to an assumption of immunity - no vaccination is required (If you have not had Mumps, recieving immunization is still adviseable.)
Disease information
Measles entry from the Pink Book

Rubella (German Measles)
Requirement:
a) two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine given at least four weeks apart for those born in 1957 or later or 2) birth prior to 1957 leads to an assumption of immunity - no vaccination is required (If you have not had Rubella, recieving immunization is still adviseable.)
Disease information
Rubella entry from the Pink Book

Tetanus (Lockjaw)
Requirement:
a) a single dose within the past 10 years if childhood series of 3 shots is complete or b) a series of three shots if the childhood series is not complete - the second dose is to be given at least 4 weeks after the first and the third dose is to be given at least 6 months after the second dose
Disease information
Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccine information sheet (toxoid)
Tetanus entry from the Pink Book

Varicella (Chicken Pox)
Requirement:
a) two doses given at least four weeks apart or b) previous infection as documented with a titer (oral history of Varicella is acceptable at some institutions)
Disease information
Varicella vaccine information sheet (live, attenuated)
Varicella entry from the Pink Book

Tuberculosis Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) skin test
Although no immunization is not administered for tuberculosis, skin testing is performed during the Pharm.D. entry immunizations. The PPD consists of an injection of non-infectious tuberculosis antigen injected just under the skin of the forearm. The test is read strictly 48-72 hours after administration. If an elevation of 10mm or greater develops at the test site, the test result is positive and the individual has been exposed to tuberculosis. Students who grew up outside of the United States may have received a childhood immunization to polio, such as the BPG, which leads to a positive skin test.
Tuberculosis elimination information

A general note:
If you have received an immunization but cannot document it, you may be required to have a blood test for antibodies performed. This test is called a titer. Some institutions will accept a titer in place of vaccination history, while others will not.

*Please check with your school for any variations in requirements

Thank you to dgroulx for critiquing this section

HanDBase: Make up your own databases or download the ones on the website. I have things such as Medical Spanish and a Herbal Database
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/

GlobalRpH.com: Has for purchase programs that aid in calculating doses
http://globalrph.com

Epocrates: Has a free drug formulary and reference program and also more complete programs for purchase.
http://epocrates.com

Lexi-Comp: Has multiple databases (very similar to the book versions). Also has a calculator now too. This is the only one I really know the price of and it's expensive.
http://www.lexi-comp.com

Clinical Pharmacology: If your school of pharmacy/ work has access to Clinical Pharmacology you can download their database for free. I'm unsure about the status without access to the internet.

Micromedex: If your school or workplace has a subscription to Micromedex online you can now download it onto your PDA.

Sanford Guide: The resource for antibiotic use. Now can be purchased for PDA.
http://www.sanfordguide.com/

Medical Letter: The Medical Letter is a review of studies and gives recommendations based on them. Can now be purchased for PDA.
http://medicalletter.com/

Most treatment guidelines can also be downloaded onto a PDA. They typically require Adobe Acrobat for PDA however that is free and so are the guidelines.
Check the individual sites for these guidelines.

National Pharmacy Organizations

The American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
Abilify said:
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA), founded in 1852 as the American Pharmaceutical Association, is the first-established and largest professional association of pharmacists in the United States. The more than 50,000 members of APhA include practicing pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, student pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and others interested in advancing the profession of Pharmacy.

APhA consists of three academies: The Academy of Pharmacy Practice & Management, The Academy of Pharmaceutical Research and Science, and The Academy of Student Pharmacists (ASP). With over 20,000 student pharmacists, APhA-ASP is the largest student pharmacist organization in the country.

Student benefits of joining APhA:

Professional Development

• Free Online Access to the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association (JAPhA)
  • Free Subscription to Pharmacy Today Magazine
  • Free Subscription to Student Pharmacist Magazine
  • Free Subscription to APhA Drug Information Newsletter
  • Free NAPLEX Review Book (4th year students only)
Career Guidance and Networking Opportunities

• Significantly Reduced Registration Fee for National Conventions
  • Mid-Year Regional Meetings - Designed for student pharmacists to provide a forum for discussions of common interest, provide networking opportunities, and encourage participation in professional development
  • APhA Career Pathways Program
Opportunities for Leadership Development

• Patient Care Projects (Op. Diabetes, Op. Immunization, Heartburn Awareness etc.)
  • Chapter Officers & Committee Members (Chapter Specific)
  • APhA-ASP National and Regional Office (All officers including national are students)
American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP)
ASCP said:
The American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP) is the international professional association that provides leadership, education, advocacy, and resources to advance the practice of consultant and senior care pharmacy.

Consultant and senior care pharmacists are essential participants in the health care system, recognized and valued for the practice of pharmaceutical care for the senior population and people with chronic illness.

In their role as medication therapy experts, consultant and senior care pharmacists take responsibility for their patients’ medication-related needs; ensure that their patients’ medications are the most appropriate, the most effective, the safest possible, and are used correctly; and identify, resolve, and prevent medication-related problems that may interfere with the goals of therapy.

ASCP’s 7,000+ members manage and improve drug therapy and improve the quality of life of geriatric patients and other individuals residing in a variety of environments, including nursing facilities, subacute care and assisted living facilities, psychiatric hospitals, hospice programs, and home and community-based care.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
ASHP said:
ASHP is the 30,000-member national professional association that represents pharmacists who practice in hospitals, health maintenance organizations, long-term care facilities, home care, and other components of health care systems. ASHP, which has a long history of medication-error prevention efforts, believes that the mission of pharmacists is to help people make the best use of medicines. Assisting pharmacists in fulfilling this mission is ASHP's primary objective.
National Community Pharmacist's Association (NCPA)
NCPA said:
The National Community Pharmacists Association, founded in 1898 as the National Association of Retail Druggists (NARD), represents the pharmacist owners, managers, and employees of nearly 25,000 independent community pharmacies across the United States. Independent pharmacists - more than 60,000 nationwide - dispense the majority of the nation's retail prescription drugs.

The nation's independent pharmacists are small business entrepreneurs and multifaceted health care providers who represent a vital part of the United States' health care delivery system. They have roots in America's communities. They are community leaders actively involved in community-oriented public health, civic, and volunteer projects. Many hold local elected offices; others serve as state legislators
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP)
AMCP said:
Purpose
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is a national professional association of pharmacists and other health care practitioners who serve society by the application of sound medication management principles and strategies to achieve positive patient outcomes. The Academy's 4,800 members develop and provide a diversified range of clinical, educational and business management services and strategies on behalf of the more than 200 million Americans covered by a managed care pharmacy benefit.

Vision
Improved quality of life through appropriate and accessible medication therapy.

Mission
AMCP's mission is to empower its members to serve society by using sound medication management principles and strategies to achieve positive patient outcomes.
Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA)
illusions said:
The Student National Pharmaceutical Association is an organization of minority students enrolled at schools of pharmacy throughout the country. It is devoted to developing a positive image for minority health care professionals and promoting health awareness in the community. The organization goal is to increase recruitment and retention of minority students, to provide academic and social support to its members, and to provide services to the college and the surrounding community. SNPhA’s parent organization is the National Pharmaceutical Association (NPhA), composed of licensed pharmacy practitioners.
International Pharmacy Organizations

Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International (CPF)
CPFI said:
Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International (CPFI) is a worldwide ministry of individuals working in all areas of pharmaceutical service and practice. Our Mission is to:

* Provide fellowship among like-minded professionals

* Challenge and promote spiritual growth

* Encourage the advancement of knowledge and ethics in the practice of pharmacy

* Encourage evangelism and the integration of faith into practice, and

* Provide support and opportunity for service in both home and foreign missions.
IPSF
IPSF said:
The International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation was founded in 1949 by eight pharmacy student associations in London. The Federation now represents around 350,000 pharmacy students and recent graduates in 61 countries worldwide. IPSF is a non-governmental, non-political, and non-religious organisation that aims to study and promote the interests of pharmacy students and encourage international co-operation amongst them.

IPSF initiatives focus mainly on the areas of public health and pharmacy education. Initiatives include public health campaigns, research on issues in pharmacy education worldwide, the Student Exchange Programme, organising international and regional congresses and symposiums, and publication of the IPSF News Bulletin and scientific supplement Phuture.

IPSF holds official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO) and operational relations with the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). IPSF works in close collaboration with the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP). The IPSF Secretariat is supported and hosted by the FIP in The Hague, The Netherlands.

http://www.accp.com/resandfel/?page=definition

ACCP said:
In 1986, representatives from seven national pharmacy organizations met to discuss the need for common definitions and use of the terms "residency" and "fellowship" because considerable potential existed for program applicants to be misinformed regarding program purposes and content. The definitions and interpretations that follow resulted from that conference.

RESIDENCY

Definition: A pharmacy residency is an organized, directed, postgraduate training program in a defined area of pharmacy practice.

Interpretation: Residencies exist primarily to train pharmacists in professional practice and management activities. Residencies provide experience in integrating pharmacy services with the comprehensive needs of individual practice settings and provide in-depth experiences leading to advanced practice skills and knowledge. Residencies foster an ability to conceptualize new and improved pharmacy services. Within a given residency program, there is considerable consistency in content for each resident. In addition, accreditation standards and program guidelines produced by national pharmacy associations provide considerable program content detail and foster consistency among programs.

A residency is typically 12 months or longer in duration, and the resident's practice experiences are closely directed and evaluated by a qualified practitioner-preceptor. A residency may occur at any career point following an entry-level degree in pharmacy. Individuals planning practice-oriented careers are encouraged to complete all formal academic education before entry into a residency.

FELLOWSHIP

Definition:A pharmacy fellowship is a directed, highly individualized, postgraduate program designed to prepare the participant to become an independent researcher.

Interpretation: Fellowships exist primarily to develop competency in the scientific research process, including conceptualizing, planning, conducting, and reporting research. Under the close direction and instruction of a qualified researcher-preceptor, the participant (the fellow) receives a highly individualized learning experience that utilizes the fellow's research interests and knowledge needs as a focus for his or her education and training. A fellowship graduate should be capable of conducting collaborative research or functioning as a principal investigator. Fellowships are typically offered through colleges of pharmacy, academic health centers, or specialized healthcare institutions. Fellowships are usually offered for predetermined, finite periods of time, often exceeding 12 or even 24 months. Individuals planning research-oriented careers should expect to complete formal education in research design and statistics either before or during a fellowship. A fellowship candidate is expected to possess basic practice skills relevant to the knowledge area of the fellowship. Such skills may be obtained through practice experience or through an appropriate residency and should be maintained during the program.

(Definitions of pharmacy residencies and fellowships. Amer J Hosp Pharm 1987;44:1142-4.)

Developed by a consortium of representatives from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), the American College of Apothecaries (ACA), the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), the American Pharmaceutical Association (APhA), the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP), the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists (ASHP), and the National Association of Retail Druggists (NARD). Approved by the ACCP Board of Regents on December 5, 1986.

Professional Pharmacy Fraternities

Alpha Zeta Omega Pharmaceutical Fraternity (AZO)
Sosumi said:
I'm currently president of the Alpha Zeta Omega (AZO) professional pharmacy fraternity undergraduate Kappa chapter at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, School of Pharmacy.

The following is our creed:
Alpha Zeta Omega is a professional pharmacy fraternity on campus, and our members are selected on the basis of CHARACTER, FELLOWSHIP, and SCHOLARSHIP.

The objectives of AZO are to:
- promote the profession of pharmacy
- promote continuing education to its members and other pharmacists
- develop high standards of SCHOLARSHIP
- inculcate a spirit of FELLOWSHIP amongst all its members
- bring together a body of professional men and women who by the diligent maintenance of ethical ideals and faithful service, have proven a credit to their chosen profession
- honor achievement in others
- commend all worthy deeds; to build within our Fraternity a triangle composed to three supporting sides which are PEACE, FRIENDSHIP, and BROTHERLY LOVE.

We achieve these objectives through strong facilitation and participation in community service, scholarships to honor our high academic achievers, and monthly alumni continuing education breakfast lectures which are certified by the Maryland board of pharmacy.
Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity (KY)
Kappa Psi is the world’s oldest and largest pharmaceutical fraternity. While each Chapter of Kappa Psi is unique, they are all bound together through the Brotherhood of Kappa Psi.

One of the main objectives of Kappa Psi is to develop industry, sobriety, and fellowship; and to foster high ideals, scholarship, and pharmaceutical research.

Our brothers strive to maintain high academic achievements, and work towards common goals; the advancement of pharmacy as a profession, and the advancement of our community through professional service. We believe that the development of leadership skills is of high importance, and work to develop these skills in every Kappa Psi brother.

Many prominent figures in the pharmacy industry are brothers of Kappa Psi. Kappa Psi brothers can be found in every state, most important cities throughout the world, and serving in all areas of the profession.

Kappa Epsilon Professional Pharmacy Fraternity (KE)
Ms. Hand said:
Kappa Epsilon's purposes are:
1. To unite women students of pharmacy
2. To cooperate with the faculties of colleges where chapters are established
3. To stimulate in its members a desire for high scholarship
4. To foster a professional consciousness
5. To provide a bond of lasting loyalty, interest, and friendship.

Although one of KE's purposes is to unite women pharmacy students, membership is not limited to women.

KE's national project is breast cancer awareness, and all chapters have programming that promotes breast cancer awareness. KE chapters are also encouraged to recruit high school students to the profession of pharmacy and promote osteoporosis awareness. KE also provides scholarships and fellowships for qualified members.
Lambda Kappa Sigma International Professional Pharmacy Fraternity (LKS)

Phi Delta Chi Professional Pharmacy Fraternity (PDC)

Honorary Pharmacy Fraternities

Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society (PLS)

The Rho Chi Society

Thank you to those who have submitted contributions and made suggestions regarding this section.

Typically, new graduates from US schools will sit for the North American Pharmacist Licensire Examination (NAPLEX) and the Multistate Jurisprudence Exam (MJPE). California has its own required law exam, instead of the MJPE. A few states also require "wet boards" in which a graduate must demonstrate competency in compounding practices.

Information on the NAPLEX and MJPE can be found here:
http://www.nabp.net/competency/naplex.asp

Some states permit you to register for the NAPLEX/MJPE directly through the National association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP), while others require you to coordinate through your school. Please see this page for registration details: http://www.nabp.net/competency/8473914400naplexr.asp

You will need to contact the state board of pharmacy in the state you wish to be licensed in for state specific requirements. Contact information is available at http://www.nabp.net/ by clicking the "Who are We" and then "Boards of Pharmacy".

The Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE) is often a required examination. http://www.nabp.net/faq/faqfpgee.asp

You can apply to as many programs as you want but some residency directors frown upon applying to too many programs. I had a preceptor that interviewed at 12 programs but he was pretty darned smart and he ended up at Duke Medical Center in NC. My best guess is apply to at least 5 or 6.

Thank you to genesis09 for suggestion this be added to the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.