JC to Pharmacy School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThaiPharm

Yeah, I was thinking about going straight to pharmacy school once I got all my prerequisites done. I do not not have a bachelor's degree btw...I posted something like this before but didn't get much of a response. Anyway, I know some people have done this, but if I don't make it, I'll just get my BS then (I was planning to do that anyway). I guess there's nothing to lose except money for the application. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're only applying to california schools, the odds are very low for applicants with no bachelor's degree - somewhere on the order of like 1 per school per year or less...

Apply outside California.

Try Wingate, Campbell, Nova, Palm Beach Atlantic, Mercer, Midwestern (both campuses Glendale, AZ and Downers Grove, IL), LECOM, MCPHS ( they do not like CC, but if 4.0 try), and some other privates.

Members don't see this ad :)
xnm11 said:
if you're only applying to california schools, the odds are very low for applicants with no bachelor's degree - somewhere on the order of like 1 per school per year or less...

No the odds are much higher than that (for example, it's 17% for USC). BUT coming from JC isn't very favorable at all in Cali cuz it's so competitive.

thaliagoo said:
No the odds are much higher than that (for example, it's 17% for USC). BUT coming from JC isn't very favorable at all in Cali cuz it's so competitive.
University of Southern California
School of Pharmacy
Pharm. D. Fall 2005 (Class 2009) Profile

●186 enrollees have earned/will earn at least a Bachelor's degree
●137 female enrollees
●50 male enrollees

Total class seated (including 14 TAP) for Fall 2005: 187

- source: USC powerpoint presentation at UCLA Career Center, March 2006

i looked up ucsf's class of 2009, and that was higher though...

02.46% no degree (of a class of 122)
01.64% Associate's degree

-source: UCSF's website

but to get away from the odds, schools feel that an applicant is more prepared to handle their pharmacy curriculum if they've had around 4 years of taking an undergraduate courseload than just two. i would imagine that those applicants who didn't have a bachelor's degree and were accepted were able to demonstrate that they were "academically mature" enough to handle a pharmacy curriculum.

I agree with everyone else, your better off applying out of state without a bachelors. California schools have a strong preference for bachelors degrees.

xnm11 said:
University of Southern California
School of Pharmacy
Pharm. D. Fall 2005 (Class 2009) Profile

●186 enrollees have earned/will earn at least a Bachelor's degree
●137 female enrollees
●50 male enrollees

Total class seated (including 14 TAP) for Fall 2005: 187

- source: USC powerpoint presentation at UCLA Career Center, March 2006

i looked up ucsf's class of 2009, and that was higher though...

02.46% no degree (of a class of 122)
01.64% Associate's degree

-source: UCSF's website

but to get away from the odds, schools feel that an applicant is more prepared to handle their pharmacy curriculum if they've had around 4 years of taking an undergraduate courseload than just two. i would imagine that those applicants who didn't have a bachelor's degree and were accepted were able to demonstrate that they were "academically mature" enough to handle a pharmacy curriculum.

I guess it changes from year to year, because I also found this (this is 2000 data):

The following seven criteria will be taken into consideration and weighed in the application selection process for Fall 2001 School of Pharmacy Admission. Averages shown below are for last year's applicants and reflect averages first for only admitted applicants, then all interviewed applicants.
Criteria Weight (%) Averages (admitted/interviewed)
- Cummulative GPA 25% 3.48/3.41
- GPA for required math and science courses 20% 3.41/3.34
- Interview 20% 4.2/3.75 points (5.0 possible)
- Interview essay 10% 3.7/3.17 points (5.0 possible)
- Degree 10% BS (83%/72%)
- Experience/achievement/recommendations: considerable volunteer or paid experience in the health care profession; leadership and measurable achievement as reflected by application, recommendations, and interview 10% 4.1/3.2 points (7.0 possible)
- Academic prepartation: both the no. of units completed and grades earned in recommended but not required courses such as physiology, anatomy, molecular biology, and biochemistry are reviewed 5%

yeah i wouldn't be surprised if having a bachelor's is an upward trend for applicants...

Still, I'm gonna try...I got nothing to lose, California or not...