SCCO vs. Berkeley vs. NECO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l2en

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know this question has probably been asked before but how do these schools compare with respect to:

1) Location (How safe is the area? what is there to do around there? etc)
2) Quality of Education (How Clinically based, etc)
3) Cost of Tuition (For foreign students; I'm from Canada)
4) Cost of Living
5) Do they go by Semesters or Quarters?
and
6) What was your overall experience or impression of each of these schools?

If you are a student at any of these three schools, please shed some light on the pros/cons of your school and what it is like attending/living there. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

l2en said:
Hey, I know this question has probably been asked before but how do these schools compare with respect to:

4) Cost of Living
and

If you are a student at any of these three schools, please shed some light on the pros/cons of your school and what it is like attending/living there. Thanks in advance!

I can tell you about SCCO:

SCCO's location is awesome. Absolutely beautiful weather all year round. The area is very suburban and also seems pretty safe. Lots to do around here...Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm is super close. After all, it is in the Los Angeles/Orange County area and there are a million things to do here.

I hear a lot of people say that SCCO is highly clinical (well, vs. Berkeley at least). But of course, that's just an opinion.

Not too familiar with cost of tuition, but just go to http://www.scco.edu

4) Cost of Living
The 1 BR apartments here cost roughtly around $850-$1200. Gas prices aren't so bad here either (as of today now at about $3.10-$3.20). Apartments around here aren't that new, but they aren't super old either and seem to be very well kept.

Quarters.

Absolutely beautiful. The clinic is brand spankin new and the equipment is very state-of-the-art. And again, you can't beat the location. This is why I chose SCCO over Berkeley.

And Berkeley:

Very urban and crowded. IMHO, I don't really like the city of Berkeley (this is why I declined my acceptance there!). And a lot of bums. BUT, on the flipside, there is TONS of food to eat there. Very diversified city, and a very liberal atmosphere.

I hear that the education at Berkeley is superior, but then I also hear that the focus is more drawn to research than clinical. Again, that's very debatable.

Just go to http://spectacle.berkeley.edu

4) Cost of Living
Overall, the Bay Area is very expensive. I don't know of the price range too well, but expect above-average prices for below-average conditions...Berkeley has a lot of older, run down apartments. And if you live in a newer place, expect to pay a premium! Gas prices around there, when I last visited a few months ago, was typically above average. But you really shouldn't drive there anyway because I hear that public transportation is very efficient there.

Semesters.

The students and faculty were very warm and friendly, but the school facilities seemed a little dated. I remember seeing one of the labs and the exam rooms looked pretty old looking. But then again, it's a public school so funding may be the issue. I know that the quality of education is great there, but I didn't want to live in Berkeley.

I agree with alfrec on most parts. SCCO is beautiful. the campus, facilities, just stunning.

Berkeley

Quarter or semester
semester system

Quality of Education
Berkeley is not research focused. You can do research if you want, but it's main focus is clinical education. The Berkeley focuses on research rumor, was started by other school administrations to try to make our program look less than stellar. Student to teacher ratio in clinic is AWESOME. You learn to do a full exam by the end of your first year. We order our equipment 2nd semester of our first year. We start examining eachother on the first day! The clinical preparation is awesome.

Facility
okay it's ugly. no way around that. but when learning how to give an exam we are put into full size exam rooms. 2-3 students in each room with an instructor (or 2!), giving us a private space to learn how to give an exam. it really simulates the actual exam experience. so yeah the carpet is worn, and the phoropters old, but the learning enviorment is tops.

Expense
very expensive. the bay are is beautiful with mild weather and you pay for the view when you are here. is it worth it? i moved to the bay area from la 12 years ago and i hope to be able to stay after i graduate!

In the end, you have to visist each school and decide what is best for you.

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. Anyone from NECO have anything to say about their school???