Ten Things I Hate about my Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resxn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently AD USAF ENT. Inspired by finding out that I'm not alone in my department as well as military-wide on this website, I thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents as to why I'd never, ever, ever, recommend military medicine to anyone. I got in to have enough money to get married, keep debt low, and serve my country. It wasn't the best way to do any of it. I have well more than 10, but to keep it reasonable:

1 - No respect for my position. I hate that I don't get money when I'm supposed to. I should have had 30K deposited in my account 4 days ago, but as of right now, they don't even have the ISP contract available to sign. Seriously, is it that hard to predict when Oct 1 comes each year? And does it really make anyone feel good about how much the AF respects their docs when they havn't raised the ISP since 1976?

2 - Incredible efficiency? So the hospital at my base shut down as they have many other places. Now, I'm the only ENT doc here so any consult to any ENT, whether to me or to a civilian has to get approved by me. If I want to do inpt surgery at the university (neck dissection, for example) I have to write a consult to myself. Then I have to approve the my consult to myself. Once that's approved, then I get to schedule the surgery and then I get 3 e-mails detailing that each of the steps was accomplished. I love that. When our surgical department complained to TriCare, they said that there was nothing that could be done to change it.

3 - I don't have an anesthesiologist. I have outpt surgery available at my base, which I'm the majority user being ENT. I account for 40% of the surgical volume myself. However, we only have CRNA's. Fortunately, my CRNA's are excellent, but if there is so much as a hiccup and that can mean a kiddo under 2 who is not of herculean health, I can't get approval to do the surgery here.

4 - I get zero support. I have a great surgical tech. He's awesome. But I am slated to have 3. He has to do the work of 3 people by himself. He supports audiology as well. So he has to run the clinic, schedule surgeries, answer phones, assist in the OR, run hearing aid programs, and do all the meaningless task work like being door monitor during mandatory fire drills. The guy is getting crushed. The FTE for an ENT in the community is 3.4-6.3 per provider, depending on location and practice size. I have one. If the military is so bent on saving money, why don't they look at those people who exist solely to be fiscally solvent--the private world. Furthermore, I don't have a nurse. I'll never get a nurse. I have to call every t-con myself. I'm the only provider in my clinic, which means I'm on call 24/7/365 unless I call the university and ask for them to cover me on a weekend. I cover the base urgent care clinic (aka useless care clinic) as well as 2 civilian ED's ( I have to cover these for TriCare patients to maintain my priveleges there to take care of TriCare inpatients AND I have to pay for that which is sometimes reimbursed.)

5 - Stupid, stupid, stupid rules. Flyers are grounded if the get a myringotomy and tube for eustachian tube dysfunction. I think every pilot on the planet should have tubes so that they never have to worry about otologic barotrauma. But oh no, not the AF. A tube is a dangerous intervention that could have spooky albeit unodocumented problems that may cause a pilot to fly his F-16 into your house. Even dumber. If you've got OSA with an RDI of 90 and you're not even overweight. You're not going to be a good candidate for surgery, and the liklihood of surgically reducing your cardiovascular risk to less than severe is smaller than 20%. You need CPAP. But not in the good ole AF. Nope, if you decide to go with CPAP, they're going to board you and possibly boot your from the military. And here's why: "We can't guarantee you'll get deployed where there's electricity to run your CPAP." No kidding, they told this to an ELECTRICAL FREAKING ENGINEER. So even if they can't guarantee that, they'd rather you be at severe cardiovascular risk 100% of the time instead of using it while your home and leave it behind when your deployed therby substantially decreasing your risk of an MI or CHF for a majority of any given year. Brilliant.

6 - Even though I still owe a year of commitment, the AF won't pay for a CME TDY this year. I can't go to my Academy meeting unless I fork over the approximately $2200 on my own. Even though I'm working for them, because I'm separating they won't support me. Why do I even want to work hard?

7 - Obtaining serviceable equipment is about as easy as breaking your femur while floating in space. I have 3 nasopharyngoscopes that are so bad, I can't even see letters on a Snellen chart, much less look for subtle vibratory abnormalities on the vocal margin of a smoker. I've asked for them to be fixed, but I was told they've been repaired so many times that they won't repair them anymore because the cost of repairs is more than the cost of a new scope. When asked if I could get new scopes, the answer was no. I have to defer pt's off-base for videostroboscopy, even though with the number of deferrals I've made in the last 10 months alone, I've cost the MTF more money in consultations than it would have been to get me the equipment.

8 - This place moves about as fast as a dehydrated slug. I got approval for a camera on my operating microscope 19 months ago so I could teach the residents who rotate with me every month. I still have yet to receive it.

9 - the left hand has no idea that there is even a right hand. My position at this base was eliminated in MAPPG06, but the AF brought in 10 more ENT's that FY than they had room for. Therefore I was kept at my current base--they didn't want to move me and have 11 ENT's to shove in various spots. However, they eliminated all of my support staff because I wasn't supposed to be here. I had no support for a short time, but then I got my current tech, who like I said is great, but who cannot keep up with the workload. Now, there is a contract to hire a civilian ENT to run this clinic because I'm not supposed to be here. When I informed them that the clinic was not busy enough to support 2 ENT's, especially a civilian one who will make double my salary, they said, "Well, the money's there, so we're going to hire him."

10 - Despite "excellence in all we do" the AF will allow any idiot to be a civilian contract physician. The new civilian urologist they had planned on hiring took 3 residencies to finish his training. He was booted from 2. The guy the want to hire as a civilian ENT hasn't had hospital priveleges for 3 years. The IM doc they hired was such a CHF catastrophe, she'd get out of breath just walking between rooms in clinic. And here's a classic, when this place still had inpt beds, I did a T&A on a kiddo with significant OSA. These kids are required to be watched o/n because of the risk of desaturations. As long as they are in a monitored bed, I am ok with them getting codeine to help with the pain. Well, with one particular kiddo, he was desatting all over the place in the PACU. When he finally made it to the floor having become more stable as he was less sedated, the nurse gave him Lortab elixir. There was no order for Lortab. I'd never in the name of all that is holy give a 3 yo Lortab --especially a post-op OSA kid, especially a post-op OSA kid with post-op desats in the PACU. The nurse just randomly decided that was the medication she should give (she never checked the orders) randomly picked the dose (she never looked to see what the dose of Lortab should be in Harriet Lange nor did she simply mistake the tylenol with codeine dose for the Lortab--she admittedly just picked a dose that "seemed" right) and administered it to the kid. Yep, you guessed it, she's been promoted since and is still and AD nurse at a new base.

I've read a few people here who take the high road and said that all that matters to them is taking care of people. Others who say ask not what your country can do for you. Others who say that money doesn't matter. Others who say I really want to serve. I agreed with every one of you. Seriously. I came into the AF not knowing if I'd want to stay in longer than my commitment. It took 4-6 months before I was so jaded I'd take a pencil to my eyeball before staying in longer than 3 years. I HATE the medical corps. The USAF may be the finest AF in the world, certainly our Airmen are among the best people I've ever met, but the way that this thing is run is sickening, and it only gets worse and here's why.

Think of military medicine like an enormous snow ball rolling down a mountainside. It's too big to stop, it's too big to change it's direction, it just goes on wiping out anything in it's path. If you are in it's way, the only thing you can do to make your existence tolerable is to tack yourself on and try to stick a few things into your part of the snowball on your descent down. As one of the more wizened guys here said, as a doc in the AF you're more of a liability than an asset. And you'll be treated as such.

If nothing else, this serves as a nice place to rant. I apologize if you wasted time reading it, but if I even so much as convince one person not to do the HPSP thing, I'm satisfied.

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate your comments and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think that military medicine is basically a socialized medical system. I bet the struggles we face must be similar in Canada, the UK and other countries. It would be so easy to mentally check out and throw in the towel. I'm trying to focus on the patients and work the system from the inside as best I can.

Welcome resxn,

Yet another voice of reason in the disorder that is military medicine. Please show this site to as many active duty physicians as you can, and encourage them to post.

For alot of us this site has been huge catharsis.

The more emotions you vent, the more likely you are to get attacked by naive residents of med students who have some blind faith in the system.

idg was just promoting a pro only subforum as he does not seem to appreciate what alot of us say, and early on there were nasty exchanges. He seems to be behaving, but I trust him as much as the nurse you talked about on your post.

Sad commentary that is echoed daily by physicians in the military. When you get out, life will be much better.

Thanks for posting

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently AD USAF ENT. Inspired by finding out that I'm not alone in my department as well as military-wide on this website, I thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents as to why I'd never, ever, ever, recommend military medicine to anyone. I got in to have enough money to get married, keep debt low, and serve my country. It wasn't the best way to do any of it. I have well more than 10, but to keep it reasonable:

1 - No respect for my position. I hate that I don't get money when I'm supposed to. I should have had 30K deposited in my account 4 days ago, but as of right now, they don't even have the ISP contract available to sign. Seriously, is it that hard to predict when Oct 1 comes each year? And does it really make anyone feel good about how much the AF respects their docs when they havn't raised the ISP since 1976?

2 - Incredible efficiency? So the hospital at my base shut down as they have many other places. Now, I'm the only ENT doc here so any consult to any ENT, whether to me or to a civilian has to get approved by me. If I want to do inpt surgery at the university (neck dissection, for example) I have to write a consult to myself. Then I have to approve the my consult to myself. Once that's approved, then I get to schedule the surgery and then I get 3 e-mails detailing that each of the steps was accomplished. I love that. When our surgical department complained to TriCare, they said that there was nothing that could be done to change it.

3 - I don't have an anesthesiologist. I have outpt surgery available at my base, which I'm the majority user being ENT. I account for 40% of the surgical volume myself. However, we only have CRNA's. Fortunately, my CRNA's are excellent, but if there is so much as a hiccup and that can mean a kiddo under 2 who is not of herculean health, I can't get approval to do the surgery here.

4 - I get zero support. I have a great surgical tech. He's awesome. But I am slated to have 3. He has to do the work of 3 people by himself. He supports audiology as well. So he has to run the clinic, schedule surgeries, answer phones, assist in the OR, run hearing aid programs, and do all the meaningless task work like being door monitor during mandatory fire drills. The guy is getting crushed. The FTE for an ENT in the community is 3.4-6.3 per provider, depending on location and practice size. I have one. If the military is so bent on saving money, why don't they look at those people who exist solely to be fiscally solvent--the private world. Furthermore, I don't have a nurse. I'll never get a nurse. I have to call every t-con myself. I'm the only provider in my clinic, which means I'm on call 24/7/365 unless I call the university and ask for them to cover me on a weekend. I cover the base urgent care clinic (aka useless care clinic) as well as 2 civilian ED's ( I have to cover these for TriCare patients to maintain my priveleges there to take care of TriCare inpatients AND I have to pay for that which is sometimes reimbursed.)

5 - Stupid, stupid, stupid rules. Flyers are grounded if the get a myringotomy and tube for eustachian tube dysfunction. I think every pilot on the planet should have tubes so that they never have to worry about otologic barotrauma. But oh no, not the AF. A tube is a dangerous intervention that could have spooky albeit unodocumented problems that may cause a pilot to fly his F-16 into your house. Even dumber. If you've got OSA with an RDI of 90 and you're not even overweight. You're not going to be a good candidate for surgery, and the liklihood of surgically reducing your cardiovascular risk to less than severe is smaller than 20%. You need CPAP. But not in the good ole AF. Nope, if you decide to go with CPAP, they're going to board you and possibly boot your from the military. And here's why: "We can't guarantee you'll get deployed where there's electricity to run your CPAP." No kidding, they told this to an ELECTRICAL FREAKING ENGINEER. So even if they can't guarantee that, they'd rather you be at severe cardiovascular risk 100% of the time instead of using it while your home and leave it behind when your deployed therby substantially decreasing your risk of an MI or CHF for a majority of any given year. Brilliant.

6 - Even though I still owe a year of commitment, the AF won't pay for a CME TDY this year. I can't go to my Academy meeting unless I fork over the approximately $2200 on my own. Even though I'm working for them, because I'm separating they won't support me. Why do I even want to work hard?

7 - Obtaining serviceable equipment is about as easy as breaking your femur while floating in space. I have 3 nasopharyngoscopes that are so bad, I can't even see letters on a Snellen chart, much less look for subtle vibratory abnormalities on the vocal margin of a smoker. I've asked for them to be fixed, but I was told they've been repaired so many times that they won't repair them anymore because the cost of repairs is more than the cost of a new scope. When asked if I could get new scopes, the answer was no. I have to defer pt's off-base for videostroboscopy, even though with the number of deferrals I've made in the last 10 months alone, I've cost the MTF more money in consultations than it would have been to get me the equipment.

8 - This place moves about as fast as a dehydrated slug. I got approval for a camera on my operating microscope 19 months ago so I could teach the residents who rotate with me every month. I still have yet to receive it.

9 - the left hand has no idea that there is even a right hand. My position at this base was eliminated in MAPPG06, but the AF brought in 10 more ENT's that FY than they had room for. Therefore I was kept at my current base--they didn't want to move me and have 11 ENT's to shove in various spots. However, they eliminated all of my support staff because I wasn't supposed to be here. I had no support for a short time, but then I got my current tech, who like I said is great, but who cannot keep up with the workload. Now, there is a contract to hire a civilian ENT to run this clinic because I'm not supposed to be here. When I informed them that the clinic was not busy enough to support 2 ENT's, especially a civilian one who will make double my salary, they said, "Well, the money's there, so we're going to hire him."

10 - Despite "excellence in all we do" the AF will allow any idiot to be a civilian contract physician. The new civilian urologist they had planned on hiring took 3 residencies to finish his training. He was booted from 2. The guy the want to hire as a civilian ENT hasn't had hospital priveleges for 3 years. The IM doc they hired was such a CHF catastrophe, she'd get out of breath just walking between rooms in clinic. And here's a classic, when this place still had inpt beds, I did a T&A on a kiddo with significant OSA. These kids are required to be watched o/n because of the risk of desaturations. As long as they are in a monitored bed, I am ok with them getting codeine to help with the pain. Well, with one particular kiddo, he was desatting all over the place in the PACU. When he finally made it to the floor having become more stable as he was less sedated, the nurse gave him Lortab elixir. There was no order for Lortab. I'd never in the name of all that is holy give a 3 yo Lortab --especially a post-op OSA kid, especially a post-op OSA kid with post-op desats in the PACU. The nurse just randomly decided that was the medication she should give (she never checked the orders) randomly picked the dose (she never looked to see what the dose of Lortab should be in Harriet Lange nor did she simply mistake the tylenol with codeine dose for the Lortab--she admittedly just picked a dose that "seemed" right) and administered it to the kid. Yep, you guessed it, she's been promoted since and is still and AD nurse at a new base.

I've read a few people here who take the high road and said that all that matters to them is taking care of people. Others who say ask not what your country can do for you. Others who say that money doesn't matter. Others who say I really want to serve. I agreed with every one of you. Seriously. I came into the AF not knowing if I'd want to stay in longer than my commitment. It took 4-6 months before I was so jaded I'd take a pencil to my eyeball before staying in longer than 3 years. I HATE the medical corps. The USAF may be the finest AF in the world, certainly our Airmen are among the best people I've ever met, but the way that this thing is run is sickening, and it only gets worse and here's why.

Think of military medicine like an enormous snow ball rolling down a mountainside. It's too big to stop, it's too big to change it's direction, it just goes on wiping out anything in it's path. If you are in it's way, the only thing you can do to make your existence tolerable is to tack yourself on and try to stick a few things into your part of the snowball on your descent down. As one of the more wizened guys here said, as a doc in the AF you're more of a liability than an asset. And you'll be treated as such.

If nothing else, this serves as a nice place to rant. I apologize if you wasted time reading it, but if I even so much as convince one person not to do the HPSP thing, I'm satisfied.

Dude,
this is the universal complaint... you could substitute urology in there and change a few procedures around and it would be the same thing. Then have an impotent physical therapist be your surgical squadron commander. Who knows more about running an OR than a physical therapist?

I suffered through five years of payback. Every morning I wake up thrilled not to be in the Air Force! It was agony. I live in the same town as the other urologist I worked with and I speak to him on the phone about all the stupid things he deals with, the ******ed emails, ******ed trainings for irrelevant topics.

It does get better.... as I said, I rejoice each morning driving to my civilian job where people respect me and are actually courteous! I don't have to park a mile away from the hospital. I don't have to beg people to do their job.The last year is the worst. It is like being a senior in high school because you are so done with it all. Pace yourself. Don't let them work you to death or torture your serenity. You spot will soon be filled by one of the up and coming patriotic medical students who are going to change the system not just endure it and bitch about it on this forum.

#9 - I think the medical term is contralateral neglect. We suffer alot from that one. At two bases in the past 1.5 years the command (somehwhere not at the actual base I guess randolph) said we had too many nurses.... HUh? then why dont we freakin' open up more ward beds? Anyway they let out 3 of our 4 PACU nurses at one base and 2 at the other base with no one to replace them..... EXCEPT ANESTHESIOLOGIST AND CRNA"S.....

That really helped efficiency... At Base #1 we started closing the Preop clininc on 3 e days a week to have the CRNA cover recovery room and the other two days we had to close down an OR room... either that or just recover every patient in the OR room..... 30 min case 1 hr recovery 1 hour turn over (since we only have one janitor), 30 min case 1 hour recovery (if the patient doest Puke) then 1 hour turn over....

I was the best paid PACU NURSE in the the USA -- Now as for anesthesiologist Just like the rest of us Still no ISP this year, but as for my time in the PACU I am an overpaid Nurse... Even our CRNA's are overpaid recovery room nurses FOLKS THIS HAPPENED AT 2 HOSPITALS...

I appreciate your comments and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think that military medicine is basically a socialized medical system. I bet the struggles we face must be similar in Canada, the UK and other countries. It would be so easy to mentally check out and throw in the towel. I'm trying to focus on the patients and work the system from the inside as best I can.

NOT....during my fellowship in CCM, one of my attendings is from the UK...we compared notes....and only one word......NOT

idg was just promoting a pro only subforum as he does not seem to appreciate what alot of us say, and early on there were nasty exchanges. He seems to be behaving, but I trust him as much as the nurse you talked about on your post.

Do you really have to do this every time IgD posts??? Really??? We all know you don't like him, but it really makes you look like the lesser person every time you take the cheap shot. Every single time.

New poster: Hi. I hate the military medical corps. Here's why.

IgD: I hear what you are saying and can appreciate it. I have experienced some of it, and some I have not. But I'm choosing to stay in and work hard within the system for my patients.

Galo: OMFG I am SO glad you posted here. You have no idea how bad it was for all of us and it is so great to have another person around to bitch to11!!1111!!!!1111!! Oh, and watch out for IgD, he's a jack@ss...

Do you really have to do this every time IgD posts??? Really??? We all know you don't like him, but it really makes you look like the lesser person every time you take the cheap shot. Every single time.

New poster: Hi. I hate the military medical corps. Here's why.

IgD: I hear what you are saying and can appreciate it. I have experienced some of it, and some I have not. But I'm choosing to stay in and work hard within the system for my patients.

Galo: OMFG I am SO glad you posted here. You have no idea how bad it was for all of us and it is so great to have another person around to bitch to11!!1111!!!!1111!! Oh, and watch out for IgD, he's a jack@ss...

You don't like my posts, do not read them. Idg continues to seem to speak out of both sides of his mouth. On one, he wants a glory be forum for military medicine, on the other he says he sees some problems. I do not want to say you're either with us or with them, as there are many middle roads, but the fact remains military medicine sucks right now, and for the people in, I wish them the best, and have adviced them to keep their integrity. Are you mad, sad that someone else is speaking up, is my affirmation that more military physicians are putting down the same complaints a bother to you? Too bad, its just going to keep happening, till then, Jackass II is coming out soon, I suggest you go see it, as I loved the first one.

Hey, I have no problem with people coming and voicing their opinions on military medicine. Yes, it has been frustrating for me since I'm already locked into the system but I think I've been able to take the negative posts and learn something from them, especially about the importance of maintaining one's integrity in a imperfect, sometimes corrupt system.

It just gets a little old to see your predictable posts time after time someone new posts in the forum. We all know you're going to praise the new poster, which is fine, but there's always that little potshot at IgD and I think that's a little unfair, regardless of what you think of him/her.

him/her?

not even that information given?

If the worst thing I do on this forum is be predictable well boo hoo for me. I think everybody who posts negative will be predictable in what they say. Hell, we say it over and over. Its just part of the education for people who come to the board with some of the same questions.

Besides idg is easy to take potshots at, and I am still working out anger issues, so unless you are his protector, let him deal.

I've read a few people here who take the high road and said that all that matters to them is taking care of people. Others who say ask not what your country can do for you. Others who say that money doesn't matter. Others who say I really want to serve. I agreed with every one of you. Seriously. I came into the AF not knowing if I'd want to stay in longer than my commitment. It took 4-6 months before I was so jaded I'd take a pencil to my eyeball before staying in longer than 3 years. I HATE the medical corps. The USAF may be the finest AF in the world, certainly our Airmen are among the best people I've ever met, but the way that this thing is run is sickening, and it only gets worse...

Wow. I bow to you, Sir...especially your nod to the value of anesthesiologists in the perioperative care of patients, especially those with airway issues. You just reinforce the impression I had in the military, and still have after a year in the civilian world: ENTs are da bomb.

I added a link to your nonpareil post to the index page of my website.

--
Rob
http://www.medicalcorpse.com

him/her?

not even that information given?

If the worst thing I do on this forum is be predictable well boo hoo for me. I think everybody who posts negative will be predictable in what they say. Hell, we say it over and over. Its just part of the education for people who come to the board with some of the same questions.

Besides idg is easy to take potshots at, and I am still working out anger issues, so unless you are his protector, let him deal.

Him. I believe he referred to his wife in a post long ago.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

...it's thanks to somebody like you that I no longer spend more time with sinus infections than without them, and no longer have daily sinus headaches. (I know you're not her, she's already separated!) A simple outpatient septoplasty drastically improved my quality of life.

While paying back the time in a rotten administrative structure, it might make you feel a little better to remember that you've got a grateful troop (or many grateful troops) out there somewhere. :)

SDN Is Like A Box Of Chocolates...With 1/10 Filled with VX

Speaking of the deadliest substance known to man, I was an officer on one of the fire departments that was part of the response plan for a spill at Newport Chemical Depot (the world's largest stockpile of VX is there, it's currently being destroyed).....I made a full bird colonel look really stupid after he gave his nice little presentation to a visiting O-7 and a large group of local citizens, firefighters, EMT's etc, who had come down to see a meeting about how the response to this sort of incident would go down.

*raises hand*
Colonel: "Yes Captain. You have a question?"
Me: "Yes sir. *turns to the crowd* By a show of hands how many of you are in some capacity a member of a department that is expected to respond as part of this?"
*About 75 hands go up*
Me: "Now, out of all of you, keep your hands up if you actually would respond if there were a spill of VX"
*About 70 hands go down*
Me: "Colonel, I think you need to rethink your plan."
*The general starts chuckling*
Colonel: "Captain R-----, what are you trying to prove with your little show of hands?"
Me: "That we don't have to listen to you or your plan and most of us are smart enough to give anything with the capacity to kill several people with a single drop of it a very wide margin of error. Your plan looks really nice on paper, but then again so did the Gallipoli campaign."
*outright laughter from the general*
Colonel: "Anything else to say?"
Me: "Not at this time, sir." *half mockingly salutes and sits down chuckling*

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

...it's thanks to somebody like you that I no longer spend more time with sinus infections than without them, and no longer have daily sinus headaches. (I know you're not her, she's already separated!) A simple outpatient septoplasty drastically improved my quality of life.

While paying back the time in a rotten administrative structure, it might make you feel a little better to remember that you've got a grateful troop (or many grateful troops) out there somewhere. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And so you know, the only thing that keeps me going is my great patients. They are fantastic and very appreciative. Perhaps the greatest reward I received is when a pilot told me that he was glad I was his son's surgeon because he could accomplish his mission without too much distraction while deployed because he had confidence in me to make sure his son received the best possible care. I am first and foremost a patient advocate and will damn the system in any way necessary to make sure that my patients get the best possible treatment. What's disappointing is how hard it is to have to fight like that all the time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And so you know, the only thing that keeps me going is my great patients. They are fantastic and very appreciative. Perhaps the greatest reward I received is when a pilot told me that he was glad I was his son's surgeon because he could accomplish his mission without too much distraction while deployed because he had confidence in me to make sure his son received the best possible care. I am first and foremost a patient advocate and will damn the system in any way necessary to make sure that my patients get the best possible treatment. What's disappointing is how hard it is to have to fight like that all the time.

I'll second those sentiments. I expect CEOs of the local HMOs to drag their feet and have different priorities than I do as the doctor taking care of the patient................but in the military I found the entire chain of command to have "CEO" priorities (ie. money, metrics and promotion), and yes, the daily barrage of "friendly fire" takes its toll.:oops:

I too wish to extend a very warm welcome to you. We are happy that you have joined us. We know that there are many others out there just like yourself who have yet to join us. Those of us who have suffered through years of working in military medicine can relate to what you are saying, while those who have yet to do so cannot fully understand.

Those of us who have suffered through years of working in military medicine can relate to what you are saying (about the problems with U.S. military medicine), while those who have yet to do so cannot fully understand.

This should be a sticky.

To paraphrase the Tao De Ching: "Those who speak about the problems know; those who hate on those who speak do not know, are in denial, have recruitment axes to grind, or all of the above." I have yet to see one physician with more than 10 years on active duty as a staff physician (rather than a USU student with prior military experience) come to this forum to rebut point by point the "negative" issues I, USAFdoc, island doc, Galo, resxn, and other current or former attendings have raised.

I invite any such person lurking to step forward now...