***Official: Can you answer these questions about your dental school?***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a first year at Maryland, so I will answer these to the best of my ability. If a 3rd or 4th year can fill in the blanks, that'd be awesome.

1) Name of Your Dental School

Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, Dental School, University of Maryland

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Classes are staggered and exams are every few weeks. We have NO BLOCK EXAMS. Science classes typically have 3-4 exams, with the last being cumulative. Other classes are generally a midterm and a final with quizzes interspersed. Our exam schedule definitely lowers the stress level of students.

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

Second years say Pathology is hands down hardest class

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

Professionalism (if you show up, you pass :))

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

I'm sure there are a few gunners, but they are few and far between... I haven't personally met one yet. Everyone is super friendly and is willing to help out whenever possible.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

Mostly powerpoints; however, some profs require that you read the book for some information

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

No.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

Letter grades. A, B, C, F... no plus/minus

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

Yes, students organize a notetaking schedule. Also, ALL lectures are video recorded and posted online @ MediaSite... mediasite is a split screen that shows the lecturer on the left screen and the current powerpoint slide on the right. This technology is super helpful if you missed something in class or just didn't decide to go. You can even speed up the lecture (while still understanding the prof too!)

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

Only if you are not maintaining at least a B average in the class. Otherwise, attendance is optional

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

Teachers are extremely approachable. They are constantly asking if we have questions and encourage us to e-mail/stop by their office.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

Yes, big bro/sis program... get matched up with a 2nd year.

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

~100%... don't know average score.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

1st year.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

Yes, we get June, July, and August off to study. We must take boards before starting 2nd year.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

Mix.. some study at the library, others at home.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

The clinic is pretty full. The school is on the border of the poorest area of Baltimore, so you can only imagine..

Maybe a 3rd or 4th year can add some info.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

No clue..but the 4th years i've talked to have no complaints

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

No clue. Graduation rate is ~100% though.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

Not that I'm aware of.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

Yes, some students spend spring break in central america on dental mission trips.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

There are a couple of seminars 4th year dealing with practice management.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Scrubs or professional attire. However, the school isn't very strict so you can get away with wearing jeans and a polo to lecture, but NOT IN CLINIC OR LAB. NO sandals for guys anytime.

I hope this helps... i know i'm only a D1, but so many people wanted info on Maryland I figured I'd post...good luck! jb!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks very much Jb!

Hope your first year is going well!

I'm only a second-year student so I won't be able to answer some of the questions. Besides, my classmates probably have different opinions from me, so take this with a grain of salt.

UMDNJ

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Depends on the class ... usually multiple midterms and a final exam for each didactic class ... finals week at the end of each term ... quizzes for some classes, practical exams for most lab courses.

First year, personally I think it was gross anatomy - just the shear volume of it, plus other demanding courses being taken at the same time (immunology, biochem, gen dent I, etc.)

Quite a number of people had a hard time with gen dent I during freshman year, which is a course that teaches you how to drill and fill on typodonts. The grading for practicals can get pretty brutal in this course.

Second year, I heard it was oral pathology.

Intro to Profession. I don't know anyone who didn't get an A.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
Sabotage? Probably not to that extreme ... although some classmates have no one but themselves in their interest. Most try to be helpful though. From what I hear, the class dynamic changes from year to year.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
Depends. Usually a mixture of both, although powerpoints are relied upon more often.

None, although some of the basic science courses are taught by med school faculty.

Mostly letter grades (ABC, DF=fail), a few P/F.

Yes, but in order to participate, you have to take notes when your turn comes, or pay money.

Some. Labs, most definitely. Btw, why wouldn't you go to all the classes? You're paying so much money for them ...

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
Some are definitely better than others ... my experience is that most are fairly approachable for Q's.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
" Yes. They're called foresight leaders and you meet them during orientation week.

Dunno. Very few fail on their first try from what I heard.

We're required to take Part I after the fall term of second year, before the winter term starts on Jan. 1. Which is basically between 2nd week and 4th week of December.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
We have about 3 weeks off. Since we take microbio and systemic pathology during the fall term of second year right before the boards, that material is pretty much covered without additional studying.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
Both.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
From my understanding, if you're fairly diligent, you should be ok, although I'm not in the clinic yet so I can't say.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
I've never heard of problems with chairs.

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
We definitely have A LOT of requirements, although my understanding is that vast majority of people graduate on time.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
Yes, but I don't know the details yet.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
Yes, but I don't know the details yet.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
I'm not there yet so I can't really say. I know we have a course for it that we take in fourth year.

Everyone has to wear scrubs at ALL TIMES, ALL FOUR YEARS, starting with the second day of orientation, with white shoes, white t-shirt underneath, white socks. Men must be clean shaven.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: I'm almost a D-3, so now is as good a time as easy to update this post. I'll leave all previous D-1 comments in red, new comments will be BLUE.

ALSO: It is important to note that UIC is undergoing a HUGE change in curriculum. They are changing the degree to DMD starting with the class of 2015 (I really don't understand why) and going the route of PBL (although they get pissed if you call it that). Things will probably be pretty different during the first year especially - although I doubt the clinical years will be drastically different. Any upcoming classes should be well aware that the transition to a new curriculum will most likely suck. They are planing to get you into the clinics really early though (so that is a definite plus if executed properly).

From my standpoint, the education here has been fine, it's dental school, it will be rough regardless of where you are.

-UIC

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week)

-Tests throughout...fairly similar to undergrad. Most classes have non-cumulative exams.

-Testing similar in the D-2 year, although there are a TON more performance exams coupled with lots of outside of class lab work. Generally spend less time on the books, but more work overall than D-1 year.

-Gross Anatomy. Only been a week, and I already know this is the worst. There isn't enough faculty in the lab portions so we pretty much have to teach ourselves everything. It isn't the comprehension that is hard, just the sheer volume of information coupled with the frustration of doing your own dissection with no formal training whatsoever.

-There are several tough ones. Most of my classmates would probably lean towards pre-clinical endo in the fall semester, but I feel that fixed prosthdontics I and II are the toughest simply based on the insanely difficult grading. 1/3-1/2 the class fails every performance exam.

-Our comprehensive care course seems to be the least stressful because most of the modules are pass/fail and pretty much only require you to show up and participate to pass. The waxing module may be a bit tougher, but I enjoy the work more than studying anatomy anyday.

-While comp care is much tougher compared to the first year, it is still probably the easiest class out of them all...there is just a ton of random busy work you need to remember to do on time (writing papers, getting attendance checked off in clinic, ect.)

-I'm sure they exist, I've heard a few mention ortho already but it is really too early to label anyone. Plus the class really seems to get along as a whole and I doubt anyone would try to 'sabotage' another. I personally could care less how much someone else studies, just try your best and see what happens. Overall, our class is very encouraging and helpful towards one another.

-I am pretty happy with my class (especially after hearing stories from different classes all over the country). There are gunners, but they get their grades by working hard, not by walking over others. I'm sure there have been a few issues that I don't even know about, but from where I stand - our class is pretty good.

-Textbooks are rarely used, and many D-2's tell us not to even bother getting most of them. Lectures are primarily powerpoint and all available online. Our class set up a co-op to voice record most of the lectures as well. I personally still take notes the old-fashioned way, but many just print the slides and write notes on the printout.

-Most classes at this point have textbooks with assigned readings. Some of the books are pretty useful (endo, OS). Outside of endo though, no books are really essential to passing.

-Our anatomy lab is in the med school and shared with med and PT students - although we have our own section. Otherwise, no classes are mixed.

-Mostly the standard A-B-C grading system. As mentioned, there are a few P/F modules in our comp care course...but you still get an overall grade at the end.

-Only big diff is that they are being annoying with the grading scale in most classes by bumping it up. 92+ = A, 85-92 = B, and anything under 70 = F (75 in some classes). The funny part is that they plan to change to pass fail in a few years to breed a non-competitive atmosphere..yet they are hiking up the competition on the last few years of trad curriculum..bah.

-Our class created a co-op for a few different courses. We just take turns transcribing and post everything when finished.

-I haven't noticed attendance being taken, but most professors seem to stress showing up as a factor in grading. Obviously there are a few courses where we only meet a handful of times and being absent would be ill-advised.

-I would say it is during the second year for sure. There is so much lab stuff that making it up would be a true pain. Also we are in the clinics a lot more and the faculty DO know when you don't show up (although a few of my classmates still don't quite understand this concept).

-Most of our professors are quite friendly and approachable. Most of them are easy to get a hold of. A few of them actually breath some life into what would normally be a very boring lecture.

-It's a mixed bag, most instructors are quite approachable - but some of them are very off-putting and actually somewhat intimidating especially when you are totally green to clinical work. Upperclassmen are a great resource to learning the ropes in clinic.

-Yes, D-1s are matched with D-2s during orientation. We also are paired with a faculty member who acts as a coach, or mentor. We also have the option of being paired with practicing dental professionals in the chicagoland area for futher mentorship.

-The upperclassman I was assigned never replied to any of emails so I label him a lemon and move on. I have a mentor in the school who I have spoken with a handful of times..I actually will proabably talk to him a LOT more in the clinical years because he is in my clinic and we can actually talk about patients now instead of theory and plastic teeth.

-No clue, I'll update when I find out or someone else can post.

-Still really don't know for sure. Nobody in my class failed the NBDE part I (that I know of) and several got well into the 90s.

-Most D-2's take the NBDE after the summer semester. So basically, a year after you start.

-I took in August, approx. one year after starting dental school. We have two weeks off between semesters. Several waited and were kicking themselves during the hell that is D-2 fall semester.

There is a 2 week break between summer and fall semesters, most utilize this as study time. Not sure if they we get any official board time off though. I'll update when I have better information.

-2 weeks between summer and fall semester, that's it. The summer semester is fairly light, but you still are in school 5 days a week.

-I know a few that have been using the library. I personally have only done studying at home (or in the anatomy lab). I imagine studying in small groups will become common as well.

-most do there own thing, I personally study at home, usually alone or with a friend. At this point though, most of your work will require you to be at the school anyways.

-I haven't heard of many problems. We are the only dental school in the chicagoland area - there are LOTS of patients.

-plenty of patients, I already have three newly screened patients along with several recall patients. F/F case, one for directs and braces, and another that needs some bridgework/RPD. If you need a certain case, you ask your group practice leader and they will usually do a good job finding what you need. Again though, I haven't really gotten into the clinics full time yet - this is just my experience so far. Expect another update in a year or so.

-Ask me again in 2 years. Haven't heard any horror stories yet though.

-A bit of a hassle right now because all the D-2s are competing with D-3/4s for chairs. It will be fine once the D-4s graduate. Only problem this year being that undergrad pedo is getting remodeled so they are taking over my clinic and I have no idea where I am going to see patients all summer. Hope this gets figured out. Again, expect a better update in a year.

-We have a fairly high rate of graduation so I'm going to say everything is managable. As mentioned, I haven't been here long enough to make any accurate claims regarding clinical work.

There are no numbers, but you still have to do plenty of portfolios and projects. For example, we have to do at least one overdenture and single-tooth implant, write up a portfolio, and present in order to graduate. This is only one of SEVERAL things we have to do. I will elaborate more in the future. You can't just avoid things though. A guy a few years ahead of me managed to get all the way to graduation without doing a single F/F case. They found out after he got his diploma and made him stay back for the summer to complete one.

-We are required to do a 60-day rotation at a designated underserved area during our 4th year. I'm also sure several externships are offered through the school as well.

-they are attempting a new program with a handful of current 4th years, 2 weeks at school, and 2 weeks on rotation (all year long). I don't know if it will be required by the time I get there. We do have to do rotations, but I really don't know the full requirement at this time as it seems to constantly change.

-refer to 20

-Ask later please

-nothing as of yet, don't anticipate any change in this department.

-business casual or scrubs. Most where scrubs.

-I don't know anyone that doesn't wear scrubs at this point. It would be dumb not to unless you like getting crap all over your nice clothes.

Hopefully this sheds a little more light than my original post, I'll continue to update as time dictates.

Last edited:
UDM
4 written in most classes including finals and midterms. Then there are lab practicals on top.
It depends on the student, for me it will be biochem.
Histology. Its histology, you just look at pictures of tissues. Multi nucleated vs mononucleated, striated vs nonstriated, ect.
I am the only gunner. Actually most of the class goes out on the weekends together to the bars, it is pretty weird.
I use the books to suplement presentations.
No, but most of our profs for didactic courses also teach the same one at the med school.
D=fail, A,B,C with +-
Yes, if you pay me.
Yes, the gunners in the year ahead of us complained that too many students were not attend class but were still doing better than them. Patch Adams Syndrome.
Faculty is awesome. Financial aid lady takes some warming up.
Yes, they have lots to give.
? But every exam at the school is given in board format. Then our school has mock boards that you must pass before you can take the real deal. So I would imagine that the pass rate if fairly high.
second year
I am not sure.
I dont know where the library is so I cant answer that. I think that most people study at home or coffee shops.
Its Detroit.
Dont know, but the new school will have 190 chairs
Dont know.
Yes, I think at DMC hosiptal, and then in Flint. I might be missing another place.
Yes, Honduras every year.
Dont know.
Scrubs, must match everyday, lab coat in clinic. Or Dress when not in clinic. In simlab dress clothes must be covered by labcoat. Labcoat not required in simlab with scurbs. School provides 3 labcoats with embroidery:thumbup:.

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!
The new school is supposedly the largest in the country, possibly the world with a wooping 211,000 sq. ft facility. People give Detroit a bad reputation, It is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I go running at night alone.

great thread:thumbup:
thanks chrono for your input; somebody else form UIC?

I am also a first year at UDM, and I wanted to give my perspective in response to Kappa505.

4. The easiest class is definitely Clinical Practice or Ethics. Histology Image Exams are really easy, but the actual tests are going to be rough. It is cell biology, histo, and a little pathology all rolled into one. I think our class underestimates this course.

5. There are about 10 die hard gunners, they just won't admit it yet. There has already been a few instances where people deliberately tell someone the wrong answer to a quiz question or refuse to share old tests or info with their friends. In addition to the gunners we have the people who complain non-stop. There are also a lot of heavy drinkers and people that party a lot.

16. The library is where the gunners and good students study, especially after school and on the weekends. The slackers leave right after school to start drinking.

I LOVE UDM!!! I am really happy I chose this school, and I recommend it to any and all of you.

UDM
4 written in most classes including finals and midterms. Then there are lab practicals on top.
It depends on the student, for me it will be biochem.
Histology. Its histology, you just look at pictures of tissues. Multi nucleated vs mononucleated, striated vs nonstriated, ect.
I am the only gunner. Actually most of the class goes out on the weekends together to the bars, it is pretty weird.
I use the books to suplement presentations.
No, but most of our profs for didactic courses also teach the same one at the med school.
D=fail, A,B,C with +-
Yes, if you pay me.
Yes, the gunners in the year ahead of us complained that too many students were not attend class but were still doing better than them. Patch Adams Syndrome.
Faculty is awesome. Financial aid lady takes some warming up.
Yes, they have lots to give.
? But every exam at the school is given in board format. Then our school has mock boards that you must pass before you can take the real deal. So I would imagine that the pass rate if fairly high.
second year
I am not sure.
I dont know where the library is so I cant answer that. I think that most people study at home or coffee shops.
Its Detroit.
Dont know, but the new school will have 190 chairs
Dont know.
Yes, I think at DMC hosiptal, and then in Flint. I might be missing another place.
Yes, Honduras every year.
Dont know.
Scrubs, must match everyday, lab coat in clinic. Or Dress when not in clinic. In simlab dress clothes must be covered by labcoat. Labcoat not required in simlab with scurbs. School provides 3 labcoats with embroidery:thumbup:.

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!
The new school is supposedly the largest in the country, possibly the world with a wooping 211,000 sq. ft facility. People give Detroit a bad reputation, It is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I go running at night alone.

No new schools? Maybe PMing these guys will help:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3358

It wouldn't hurt to ask them nicely to answer a few questions in this thread.

These are the remaning dental schools with no responses in this thread:

Dental Schools in the United States:

AL: University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
AZ: Midwestern University School of Dental Medicine
CO: University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
CT: University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry
IA: University of Iowa College of Dentistry
IL: Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
IN: Indiana University School of Dentistry
LA: Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
MN: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
MS: University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
NV: University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry
OR: Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
PA: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
PR: University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry
SC: Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
TN: University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
WA: University of Washington-Health Sciences School of Dentistry
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry
WV: West Virginia University School of Dentistry

Dental Schools in Canada: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4374

Dalhousie University
Laval University
McGill University
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Manitoba
University of Montreal
University of Saskatchewan
University of Toronto
University of Western Ontario

Could someone please post for UF?

Ok. Lets see, So i'm a graduating senior at UF and thought maybe i can add some more stuff to this.
University of Florida, GOOOOO GATORS!

The schedule of test constantly changes with every class. I'm a graduating senior and we practically never had block exams. We have midterms and finals and there were times that we were constantly having tests week after week of the finals week we had 6 finals. but mainly no blocks. I've heard that the freshman class do have block exams now. The details of it, i'm not really aware of.

Anatomy in the first year was defnitely hard. Probably just because most of us were just new to it and were not used to the way that we have to study the material. We had a large course that had histology, neuroscience and physiology all together. The course was 7 credit hours and that just about killed most of us in the second semester. Immunology course was hard. We had a systemic pathology that was offered by med school faculty and that was pretty hard as well.

There are a couple of classes that the professors really helped us out by practically mentioning the test questions to us. Those really helped out in fact because they were at the same time with some of the other very harder courses. But i guess in general, if u want good grades, u have to put effort in to it.

Can't say there are no gunners. Each class has a certain reputation for that kind of stuff. We definitely do have gunners. But sometimes the class comes together nicely and help each other out. I wouldn't say it's a big huge problem for us.

I would say mainly powerpoints and what's said in the class.

We don't take any classes together with med students. There are some classes that are given to us by the exact same professors in the exact same manner but for the most part we're mainly doing our own thing.

We have letter grades. I think only plus but no minus.

No. During our first and second year, we bought a digital recorder that our class president would bring to class and we would record lectures and put them online if case we wanted to listen to it later. but every class has different plan.

School policy is mandatory attendance. However, seems like it's pretty easy to not to go classes who don't have a sign up sheet or even just call in sick in the morning and get an excused abcense. Alot of people have done that, it's against the policy but it's not as tightly enforced.

Our professors are pretty nice. There are always those that are hard to find if u don't talk to them right after class but in general, they are very open and friendly.

We have this program, the sophomores usually get paired up with the incoming freshman class in a big brother, big sister kind of thing. The decision to get involved or how much, is totally based on the two people together. We usually put a social in which we all go out together and hang out and know each other. After that, some people decide not to get involved or might keep in touch and ask for help, books, old tests, and stuff like that.

OH, good question. I really don't know what our percent passing is for part one or II. I know our rate is very good. I'd dare say 95 or so.

We take the NDBE I in summer of second year. it's mostly in July.

When we took the boards in 06 we got 2 weeks off, then we went back for 2 weeks to school, then we got another week off and we took the board. I thought that worked well for me even though it sounds like an odd schedule. This past year, i heard that sophomores got one or 2 weeks off. Seems like they give us at least one week and u have to study simultaneously with classes for the boards. We have a very good pass rate either way.

During the first couple of years, some people studied in library or a study room that was avaliable to us 24/7 in school. They have recently renovated a study area that's safe and secure for only dental students and included refrigerator, microwave, etc that students can use as they wish. It's pretty nice. Since that renovation, i've been done with studying, so don't really know what's going on. During our 3rd and 4th year, we either don't study or everyone is on their own!

The school screens lots and lots of patients. However the patient pool is very variable. The city is small itself so we have alot of patients who drive long hours to get here. Some are really short of money which sometimes causes a problem. We request patients as we need and we have to wait some depending on what time of year it is to get the right patient. But as with the patient goes, u never know what kind of patient u would get. If the patient can afford anything at all or is reliable, etc. But of course that's just the nature of patients. so can't complain much.

The School has enough chairs i think. The system of the clinics has been undergoing changes but the school is going thru accreditation this year so changes are hard to make at this point. The system will eventually change to a system of every student or student team having chairs to utilize for comprehensive care. As is, sometimes the chair division between students gets tricky.

The requirements can get pretty difficult to achieve sometimes. Usually at UF our main problem is pros requirements that can hold people up.
Perio is the easiest thing to satisfy. Our operative can get hard if u want to get A all the time. We get points by number of surfaces we restore. we have a guideline for those point. and we need certain point for each semester. The highest amount we ever need is 50 point for a C in spring of junior year i think. during that semester u need 70 for A. This is as high as it ever gets. All the other semesters, the points are lower.
Pros, we need 28 units total basically. It's very hard due to our patient poor to find fixed units for all students. So they are abit more flexible if u don't have the right amount of fixed and removable. I guess they mainly want a half and half of fixed and removable. We also need one C/C(full dentures) at least and another c/c as a competency. C/C is also hard to come by so sometimes they let u do a C/P if necessary for competency.
Other than that, everything is a piece of cake.

We have 2 2-week rotations in clinics of our choice thru the state. There are 4-5 offsite clinics that we can pick to have rotation in. They would try to schedule us in the clinics of our choice mostly. Some clinics do everything, some do mainly pedo, etc. I think mainly everyone has been happy with their experience. It's a really good experience to get out of clinic and see what goes on in the real world.

There are volunteer trips to Dominican, Ecuador, Amazon, Mexico, Costa Rica(not totally sure about this one), and probably a couple more. If you are interested, you have to attend meetings and pay for the trip mostly out of pocket. Sometimes they supply part of the trip out of scholarships. I've attended a couple myself. I would recommend it to anyone if you have the opportunity.

During the last year, we have a course in business management. The course gives some insight on the ways to manage a practice, how to look for job opportunities, what to look for, that sorts of things. I think the whole course is almost 30 hours or so. They post job openings for us to see or forward big ones to the whole class sometimes. And as a part of the course, they will make up make up resume and they put us on school website for associate matching purposes.

Ceil Blue scrubs from start to finish. Closed toe, No flip flops. If not, business.

please... another udm and someone from iowa and MARQUETTE MARQUETTE MARQUETTE

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Tennessee??? That would be sooo helpful!

bump... dont want this one to go to waste....

UNLV Please!!!

UNLV
Exam schedule is very flexible actually. You get a big tidal wave of exams at midterm and finals, and quizzes throughout. But as long as 90% of your class is in accordance, the student body has the right to initiate a change in exam dates and present their requests to the profs. 9 out of 10 profs are really cool with changing exam dates as long as it doesn't impede into their schedule.
Depends on who you ask, but for me and most of my classmates Human Structure and Function (6 credit, 2 semester course) or Oral Histo were rough ones. If you have a strong background in physiology and histo it shouldn't be all that bad. Neuroanatomy is challenging, but very doable. But the worst is probably Oral Path. You get a 30Q exam that covers 1000 ppt slides; you pretty much have to know everything with nothing to focus on. Good luck on that one.
You get a lot of filler courses that are very time consuming, but the content is easy. For the courses that do matter, maybe Cariology.
It really depends on the class. My class has tons of gunners, but pretty unified at the same time helping each other out consistently passing along helpful info via email and such. Can't complain, great bunch of guys (and gals).
90% of courses are all ppt-based. Some courses we don't even know the name of the text book we're supposed to be reading, and we all do fine. On our Biomaterials final one of the questions was to name the text book. Only a handful of us got that question right.
No.
ABC and D=Fail (no plus/minus)
Not that I know of.
Yes and no, depends on the course. Role (or attendance quizzes) are taken for the anal retentive profs, others don't care. Supposed to be mandatory but never enforced.
Most if not all profs are very approachable and helpful. Even the "mean" profs are rather nice when you approach them privately and appropriately.
Absolutely. UNLV SDM is big on vertical integration and we get assigned to upperclassmen mentors (DS1 thru 4) that we interact with consistently. This set-up is very helpful in getting information and the training you need in clinic that you otherwise would not get. Some first years even got to extract a tooth or two under the direction of their Senior mentor.
This year every one of the 2nd yrs passed (100%); don't know about the average score.
End of 2nd year.
Yes and no. We get an "enrichment" period of several weeks to study for boards, but the faculty require that we participate in extracurricular activities throughout, so in essense, your focus is studying for boards but you have other things going on.
Our SDM campus is "off-campus" so we don't have a library. We all study on our own or stay in the lecture hall and study solo or in groups.
Depends on the competency. We're all looking for Class I's at the moment and it's a fight to see who gets them.
Yes. Never had to fight for a chair. They assign you a station and you're set to go.
I don't want to fill the page listing each competency, but yes, all are reasonable and attainable. You do have to take initiative but that is to be expected.
Generally, not at this time.
Private organizations. As of next year the faculty has approved school sponsored dental trips abroad. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.
Sufficient, yes. Currently, aside from some courses and an optional MBA program to get your prepared for the "real world," you're pretty much on your own as far as career placement. There's enough help at school if you look and take the initiative.
Scrubs all four years; color-coded by class. Otherwise, casual; even shorts (it's hot in Vegas) but NO sandals.

Other notes: It's a new school, and like any new school the curriculum is still changing. We just got a new dean out of Kentucky and she's terrific -- very open to student opinions and very approachable. It's amazing how much emphasis is given to student opinions and petitions. We definitely feel like we have a say in how things are run. The facility is top-notch in a brand new building (unlike some of the dungeon schools I've visited before coming here). They place us in clinic our very first year interacting with patients, which is unheard of at other schools. All electronic; all text books and lectures downloaded on laptop (mandatory purchase) and with big widescreen monitors in class. So if you're not computer/tech savvy it'll take a little getting used to. With all that and 100% pass on NBDE1 this year I'd say it's a pretty good school.

Good luck guys.

Ok I will try my best, but i'm sure others could do a better job

Marquette University

Exams all over, some that fall during the midterm. You can have several a week, once a week, and defintely finals. Varies if they are cummulative or not.
3) What is the hardest class? Why? This can vary depending on the class, cause some teachers changed old exams, or there was a new director of a class. Personally it was biochem, why? we just didn't get along.
4) What is the easiest class? Why? the pass or fail classes, some of the specialty classes, maybe RPD
my class is great and very helpful. it has a healthy level of competition. we send out old questions to the whole class, or responses from questions we asked of teachers, etc.6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
a lot of powerpoint, much on D2L. there are textbooks, upperclassmen will tell you which ones are worth buying. most of the time you can study off the notes.

no med students here. but we have PT, nursing, and PA, and Speech path. we took phisiology, pharamcology, anatomy, histology, and i cant think of the others.
lettter grades wiith a couple pass fail

not that i know of. i know at the undergrad level they had it for those with disabilites.
some classes pass around a sheet for you to sign on. some they dont care.
approachable, they have office hours posted or you can make an appt. some teachers are amazing and very helpful and others are very hard to get a hold of.
yes mentor program to a practicing dentist (if you choose). also you get paired to a D2 when you start school so they can show you the ropes.
no clue, but i believe only 2 didnt pass out of 80
this year was a bit different due to the computer style. we could take it anytime between Feb to May of our D2 year.
we had to study during the semester with classes. yet, spring D2 you have a lot of clinic time to assist and see patients (that you really dont have yet) so a lot of people used that time to study, since they really didnt enforce you to be there.
yes lots study at the library, but a lot at home also. others also go to coffee shops or the med school library. our library is pretty big and used by the undergrad and grad schools and is open 24 hours, so its ideal for those all nighters
no they are pretty good about getting them in. initially when you are in clinic almost fulltime it would be nice to have more patients, but you can get some from the outside if needed or request some more.18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
i think they have enough. there will be some days it gets super booked, so you are on a waitlist, or you go to a different clinic in the school to tx.
oh man, i dont have these memorized yet..... from what i hear its do-able, except ppl have a hard time fulfilling the bridge requirement, guess there arent alot.
maybe someone else and can fill this question out..

yes and they are great. everyone goes through each of the sites before graduating. we have some overnight rotations across wisconsin. stevens point, eau claire, appleton, milwaukee. the school just openend a new off site clinic for the underserved, and we can see pts regularly out there. also there is a clinic in racine that is special needs that you can volunteer at.
they had a program to go to jamaica, but it has been put on hold. MUSoD dosent promote anymore, however as a jesuit school you will hear of a lot of private christian programs that students go on.
we have a buisness course junior year for practice management. i dont know what kind of placement they offer yet.

ugh, this year they changed it to scrubs. freshman have to all wear navy blue scrubs (same style and cut) with a logo. the rest of us can still wear green blue or navy, but i think from now on for the entering classes they are going to have the uniform scrubs.

Can anyone share their experience at Iowa?

Someone should make this thread a sticky.

bump, good stuff keep it going

this thread is very informative. thank you to everyone who took out time to post the info:)

Please, please, please give us Pittsburgh. :)

Anyone from WVU? Please?!?!?!?

Im a first year at WVU...pm me if you have any questions!

Hope I can help

Im a first year at WVU...pm me if you have any questions!

Hope I can help

If you wouldn't mind cutting and pasting the standard format questions and then answering them - that would be great!

can someone from Ohio State PLEASE post a response??? I would really appreciate it!!!

Are there any Pitt students out there?

Darn it.... Don't they have internet connection in Alton, IL? :( Last year and the year b4, there seemed to be more SIU students on here.

bump..id like to hear more on this thread..i think its the most helpful thread out there

OSU
I just finished up my first quarter here, so I don't know everything but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as happy anywhere else!

The Ohio State University

Depends on the class ... usually multiple midterms and a final exam for each didactic class (most not comprehensive) ... finals week at the end of each quarter...seven or so exams over three days. Four to five quizzes with some classes usually dropping the lowest one, practical exams for the lab courses.

Only a first year but neuroanatomy wasn't fun. I hear gross anatomy and pharmacology and rough.

This quarter we had Practice admin., and dental ethics and behaviors which were mostly common sense but some of it was pretty interesting. we also had the chance to go to an elementary school to give oral screenings to 2-5 year olds which was really incredible and the kids were great!

There are a handful of "gunners" I guess, but even they tend to be helpful. It really is like a big family here. 105 students and we all get along great and everyone honestly helps everyone, especially the upperclassmen which I did not expect (I mean they really look out for us underclassmen and help whenever they can)

You really don't "need" any of the books here. Most classes are powerpoints and the tests are pretty much off of that info alone.

None

Letter grades. No pass fail that I know about and no plusses or minuses.

not really but you can get a lot of old notes from your big brother/big sister. and we also have a class website with years of old exams and quizzes from all of the classes as well as helpful guides and a few notes.

Yes, but besides in labs no one really checks. I didn't attend the biochem. lecture the last three weeks of the quarter b/c it is all in the notes.

Just about every professor here is great and they all have a pretty good sense of humor which makes things a lot more relaxed. There is nothing close to a "kill or be killed" atmosphere here. If you want to do well you have every advantage to do so.

Yes, and they are great with the exception of a handful. Mine is super helpful.

All I know is that everyone passed there first time last year.

Summer after second year.

I think we get a couple of weeks off before, and we take a board prep class the quarter prior.

Both.

Everyone I have met seems to be finding there share of patients. no less or more then most other schools.

We have two floors with more than enough chairs on each.

Whatever they are everyone gets through them and graduates when there supposed to.

Yes, in fourth year we spend a few months working in an offsite dental practice of our choosing (private practice or hospital) located all across Ohio.

Not sure.

The practice manage. class we just finished was very interesting and helpful I just wish we took it fourth year. I think we take a handful of others before we graduate though so we should be fine.

Scrubs are the best part aren't they? You can wear them starting day 1 if you want to. We started actually needing them second week I think. Just about anything goes within reason. any color and any combo. Being Ohio State most of us wear all scarlet or all grey. Sometimes I'll wear black bottoms with a scarlet top. all black is pretty cool too.

Hope this helped. I know last year at this time I kept hoping someone would talk about Ohio State on here. Its pretty great that now I'm the first. If your considering Ohio State or even not...the more you learn about this school the better it gets.

Can anyone please provide information on Uconn? I would really appreciate it! I am trying to decide between Columbia, Uconn and STony brook..and am having a tough choice..

yes please, can anyone from Uconn share their perspectives, PLEASE!

The University of Iowa College of Dentistry

First 2 years: A few exams every week, midterms and finals
Last 2 years: A few exams every month, 3rd year midterms and finals

Science: Pharmacology. A lot to memorize.
Clinical: Superblock (Combined Pros, Endo, Perio 20 week rotation 3rd year). A lot of requirements in Pros

Community Dentistry. If you show up and just do the assignments you get an A.

Each class is different. There are gunners in every class. My class is very helpful to eachother regardless of gunner status. Other classes have different reputations.

Primarily powerpoints that have research articles to support them. Text books are available, but they are primarily a supplement.

No, but they are talking about combining some basic science classes.

Letter grades with class rank

Yes, but my class was too lazy for it to be effective

In college of dentistry classes, yes b/c they take attendance, and it's part of your grade. In basic science classes (taught by med school and grad school faculty, no b/c they don't take attendance, and it's not part of your grade.

Dental faculty are amazing and easy to reach.
Basic science faculty are difficult to reach. It's about 50/50 with them b/c some are physicians with a lot of clinical responsibility.

Yes, but it's helpfulness varies greatly.

Unsure about this one. There are a lot of people in the 90s, and there are a couple of people who retake sections. I'm not sure of exact numbers.

Second year second semester.

There is Christmas break, Spring break, and if you really delay, there are a couple of weeks between 2nd and 3rd year.

It is mixed. Some people form study groups. Some people are loners.

There are plenty of patients available, but you are responsibile for scheduling them and keeping up with your own requirements.

Everyone has their own chair, so this is a non-issue.

We rotate through clerkships 3rd year. The pros requirements 3rd year push the students to their maximum effort to complete. 2/72 in my class did not complete on time and had to spend extra time over the short summer break and into 4th year before starting senior year requirements. Senior year requirements are based on a points system, and everyone completes the requirements on time most years. My year everyone finished on time, even the two that had to spend extra time after 3rd year.

Students are required to do two 5 week off-site rotations senior year. There is a list that students choose from. Some people go as far away as London and Denmark. Some people stay in Iowa City.

There are 2-3 mission trips to underservied countries that are sponsored by differnt student groups. These trips are usually over the summer break and last 1-2 weeks.

There is a senior year course called practice management. It is a series of full day seminars with speakers who come in to give us advice on the subject.

Scrubs or dress clothes (Guys: shirt and tie) for all 4 years. No dress code for classes that are not in the College of Dentistry.

Last edited:
UCSF
D1s-Block schedule, but midterms spread throughout as well.
D2s-Same
D3s-One 20 question test per week
D4s-No written exams, just CEs in clinic

Depends on your background. Those who were neuroscience majors didn't have too many problems in that, those who took A&P in undergrad thought that was easy, etc. Spring of D1 year is tough not because of type of info, but due to quantity of info (Anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, histology, on top of lab work).

See above, whatever your specialty was in undergrad.
Lots of undercover gunners, meaning they score extremely well but are very friendly because there are no class ranks or grades, so no benefit to others doing poorly.
Almost totally on powerpoints (supported by texts)

No
Pass/No Pass
People use digital recorders and post online
Technically yes, truly no
highly approachable, but may not give you the answer you want
Yes, but like all things, it is what you make it. Some pairs don't even talk, others collaborate very well
100% last year, 5th nationally in ranking
~25% after first year, 70% during second year, 5% stragglers
No, but there is plenty of time during the summer after D1 year
Whatever floats your boat, plenty of facilities available. (library, conference rooms, lounges, coffee shops galore, etc.)
Always nice to have more, but we have plenty to get requirements completed
Not too bad, we have set chairs 4 half days per week as D3s, 5 half days per week for D4s, and the availability to open more as necessary
12 crowns, 90 intracoronal restoration, 5 arches dentures. We also do (3) 3-week externships at which you'll probably see 8-14 patients per day and do more dentistry than the combined total of experience in the school clinic (one classmate did 90 extractions on one 3-week externship this year)
See above. ~16 different sites spread throughout nor-Cal serving underserved populations
Under our previous dean (now at NYU) we had NO support for international service trips, but our interim dean (awesome guy) has taken steps toward building such trips
We have practice management lectures throughout our D3 year. Don't know what placement services are provided, but many optional lectures available that give advice on what to look for/look out for
Outside of clinic - anything goes
In clinic - scrubs or business attire

This is a great school that provides many opportunities for the right individual. It is a state school which for us means that you'll do great here if you are self-motivated. You will learn a great amount from lectures and clinics, but for many that is the limit to their experience. There are so many opportunities to get involved, attend optional lectures, interdisciplinary weekly meetings, grand rounds, etc. Some students who went to private universities prior to coming here are used to a little hand-holding. It just doesn't happen here. If you want/need help, there is plenty available (most is free), but you have to ask for it.

UCSF
D1s-Block schedule, but midterms spread throughout as well.
D2s-Same
D3s-One 20 question test per week
D4s-No written exams, just CEs in clinic

Depends on your background. Those who were neuroscience majors didn't have too many problems in that, those who took A&P in undergrad thought that was easy, etc. Spring of D1 year is tough not because of type of info, but due to quantity of info (Anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, histology, on top of lab work).

See above, whatever your specialty was in undergrad.
Lots of undercover gunners, meaning they score extremely well but are very friendly because there are no class ranks or grades, so no benefit to others doing poorly.
Almost totally on powerpoints (supported by texts)

No
Pass/No Pass
People use digital recorders and post online
Technically yes, truly no
highly approachable, but may not give you the answer you want
Yes, but like all things, it is what you make it. Some pairs don't even talk, others collaborate very well
100% last year, 5th nationally in ranking
~25% after first year, 70% during second year, 5% stragglers
No, but there is plenty of time during the summer after D1 year
Whatever floats your boat, plenty of facilities available. (library, conference rooms, lounges, coffee shops galore, etc.)
Always nice to have more, but we have plenty to get requirements completed
Not too bad, we have set chairs 4 half days per week as D3s, 5 half days per week for D4s, and the availability to open more as necessary
12 crowns, 90 intracoronal restoration, 5 arches dentures. We also do (3) 3-week externships at which you'll probably see 8-14 patients per day and do more dentistry than the combined total of experience in the school clinic (one classmate did 90 extractions on one 3-week externship this year)
See above. ~16 different sites spread throughout nor-Cal serving underserved populations
Under our previous dean (now at NYU) we had NO support for international service trips, but our interim dean (awesome guy) has taken steps toward building such trips
We have practice management lectures throughout our D3 year. Don't know what placement services are provided, but many optional lectures available that give advice on what to look for/look out for
Outside of clinic - anything goes
In clinic - scrubs or business attire

This is a great school that provides many opportunities for the right individual. It is a state school which for us means that you'll do great here if you are self-motivated. You will learn a great amount from lectures and clinics, but for many that is the limit to their experience. There are so many opportunities to get involved, attend optional lectures, interdisciplinary weekly meetings, grand rounds, etc. Some students who went to private universities prior to coming here are used to a little hand-holding. It just doesn't happen here. If you want/need help, there is plenty available (most is free), but you have to ask for it.

I guess i'll be the first canadian to take part in this :)

Laval University

We have a final week at the end of each term and mid's during normal schedule...
usually students decide on exam sched with teachers

Depends on the student
for me, it was pharmacology
and perio because it's really not structured adequately.. the class is kind of a joke, until the exam that is.

Operative dentistery
Buccal pathology
and a bunch of others

The class is full of geeks but we do help each other out from times to times

Powerpoints and coddex (notebooks by teachers)

none

Letters +/-

nope

nope except for clinic and labs

pretty approachable, if you can find them

paired with upperclassman

last year, everyone passed

We don't have a part 1 in canada

we have spring break but that's about it

our faculty is crap so we don't have a library... people study at home and a minority in cafe's

Depends on your luck but we've been having problems getting bridges

we all have our own chair and cubicle

dont remember everything but there's hasn't been many problems with students not graduating because they didn't meet requirements

not that i know of

yes, Burkina Faso or Dakkar for 10 weeks in the summer - this is a 6 credit summer class
France (possibility of chosing between 5 or 6 cities) for 12 weeks - this is a 12 credit summer class

we're kind of on our own

scrubs in clinic, doesn't matter what year you are in
labcoat or scrubs in labs

Marquette **D1**

Sporadic, several a weak, but then again you will have a weak or two with only quizzes

Biochem, they cram two semestrs worth of material into one semester. Lot of information, tests are a bear.

I guess Dental rounds but I have to stress that every class has its own unique challenges. The dental classes are not easy but all the information is new, which I find easier to sit through, compared to biomedical sciences.

There are a few, but no sabatoge, except there are some students who hunt down specific doctors who aren't assigned to them to get there work checked off.

The atmosphere is difinately positive and everyone helps, there are always people making and emailing study guides before tests, sending notes on readings ect. In risk of sounding cheesy, our class is really tight and everyone is very supportive.

Power points, some texts are required, you'll find out what texts you need.
Here is my advice for the first semester.
Biochem-Don't need text
Dental Anatomy-text essential
Operative- Need Text
Materials- Buy this book, you will get some use out of it
Histology- You can get away without it, tests are from notes and notes are from the book. I thought book was helpful sometimes when filling in missing notes.

We take Histo with PT students and some undergrad

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades?
Percentages?
P/F and letter A, AB, B, BC, C, CD

No, but we got a CD from D2 which has a lot of old tests, some notes and a lot of study material

Technically class is mandatory for all of your classes. You can get away with skipping histo and biochem, thats about it. Any dental class you must have an excused absence.

Yes all are aproachable, some are truely awsome. We have had some faculty come in on the weekend to help people with operative.

Yes we get paired up with a D2 and there is a mentor program which pairs your up with a dentists. Most people really enjoy the mentor program, some go out to eat, even hunting,ect.. with their mentor.

Don't know
2nd year
Not exsactly sure on this point

You pick your own poison, lots study in the library. The dental school is very quiet after hours.

From my understanding there is plenty of work to go around,

Don't think so the school is brand new I believe there are 96 chairs in the four student clinics

Yes there are several around Milwaukee and Wisconsin

Not sure, I know there was trips in the past.

Yes it is worked into the curriculum, yes several compainies come in wine and dine, trying to get new meat

Scrubs... Navy blue with Dental Logo for are class

You will start interacting with patients within the first couple weeks of school, by assisting in the clinic, screening, radiography. I think this is great, although I knew I wanted to be a dentist I didn't know how I would react when palpating the gums of someone with severe periodontitis. I feel the exposure I get now will help in the future D3, D4 years.
The atomosphere at Marquette is great, everyone is super nice and helpful. From what I understand is that they really want everyone of their students to succeed. I am sure there will be a slight thinning to our ranks throughout the next couple years, but it won't because of the school. If you truly want to succeed you will.

UConn people PLEASE!! C'mon, you're on break. Thanks.

Standard Format:

University of Pittsburgh

First year was less of a block schedule. We had 1-2 exams a week. Second year had a midterm week and a finals week with a few random exams spread throughout the semester.

Clinically, FPD lab - lots of drilling to master in a little amount of time. Plus it takes a lot of effort and practice to get good at crown preparations. Didactically, dental anatomy is the hardest due to the amount of material that you learn. Plus the exams for that class are hard.
Also, I thought waxing was challenging.

Intro to Dentistry because they use it to introduce you into the clinic and all of the things that you'll be doing at the dental scool.

In my class, everyone helps each other out. There are a few gunners but they're naturally smart and don't sabotage each other. Everyone helps each other out because when you need help, they'll be there to help you.

Almost all of the class notes are based on power point lectures. I've bought a few books and barely ever used them.

None, but the cadaver lab in Spring of 1st year is shared with the medical students.

Letter grades with some classes being pass/fail/honors.

No.

You have to attend 85% of the lectures or else you are able to fail the course.

Most teachers are very nice and very approachable.

Yes, when you start in clinic you shadow a 3rd year who can help introduce you inot the clinic. And around April, you get a 2nd year (a now 1st year) who is supposed to help you with getting situated with the school and city.

Last year, everyone passed the boards. I don't know the average score.

NBDE is taken after 1st semester 2nd year.

No block time is offered to study for boards. You have to study with classes.

The library has a ton of dental students there all the time.

Depends solely on the patient. Sometimes you get lucky and they come in all the time, while other times they're not very helpful.

There are 80 chairs at Pitt, so a 3rd and 4th year share it. But it is scheduled so that the 3 rd years are in class when the 4th years are using the clinic and vice versa.

I don't know the clinical requirements...I'm not in clinic yet. Sometimes it is hard to get patients who will come back or who will prefer a crown/endo over an extraction. It really depends.

I think so.

Yes, but there are trips to Jamaica (I think), Honduras, and some places in Central America. They are for 2-3 weeks. There are also some opprinuties to do other outreach trips...but you must work out with the administration.

I'm not sure yet.

Blue scrubs (we sneak navy sometimes) or business casual for all 4 years. Though scrubs are preferred in clinic.