Question about Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A little background to preface my question: I was accepted to medical school(s) early last year and decided not to pursue a M.D. for a number of reasons. After talking to classmates that are currently in dental school (at UCLA and Pitt) and shadowing some dentists, I've decided that dentistry is a much more "appealing" type of medicine, and I'm committed to pursuing a career in dentistry now.

I'm aware the the AADSAS application requires applicants to mention if they've taken the MCATs and/or if they have previously applied to and been accepted to medical (or other professional) schools. I also know that I'll need to be able to thoroughly explain why I feel that dentistry is "the career path" for me.

Do you guys think this "issue" should be the focus of my personal statement, or can I wait to address this during interviews (could this issue prevent D-schools from extending an interview despite good stats)? How many hours of shadowing would I need to convince adcoms that I'm 100% positive about dentistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

A little background to preface my question: I was accepted to medical school(s) early last year and decided not to pursue a M.D. for a number of reasons. After talking to classmates that are currently in dental school (at UCLA and Pitt) and shadowing some dentists, I've decided that dentistry is a much more "appealing" type of medicine, and I'm committed to pursuing a career in dentistry now.

I'm aware the the AADSAS application requires applicants to mention if they've taken the MCATs and/or if they have previously applied to and been accepted to medical (or other professional) schools. I also know that I'll need to be able to thoroughly explain why I feel that dentistry is "the career path" for me.

Do you guys think this "issue" should be the focus of my personal statement, or can I wait to address this during interviews (could this issue prevent D-schools from extending an interview despite good stats)? How many hours of shadowing would I need to convince adcoms that I'm 100% positive about dentistry?

I think this is an important issue actually. Not only did you apply to med school but you were accepted. Changing to dental is a serious switch when you already have the opportunity to go to med school. Obviously the reasons for the switch are important to you so I don't see why you wouldn't want to discuss it. Your personal statement doesn't have to revolve around it, but if YOU think it's important then why not include it?

As for shadowing hours, it varies from school to school. Some want 30 some want 100. And try to shadow different dentists if possible. I would also try to find some free dental clinics to work at to boost your dental background and add some volunteer work as well.

Changing to dental is a serious switch when you already have the opportunity to go to med school.

I may be opening myself up to a firing squad here, but I'll say this anway. I sense that this statement implies that you believe that med school is "better" than dental school, and that the average person with the opportunity to go to med school OR dental school would choose med school.

Unfortunately, as much as everyone in this forum would hate to admit to it, I think that the perception of the general public is that dental school is for people who couldn't make it into med school. Frankly, I couldn't disagree more - my situation is proof of that, and I believe that there are many talented people who go into dentistry rather than medicine.

Are AdComs particularly sensitive to this issue? Does it help my situation at all since I was accepted (i.e. dental school is not just a "back up" to med school)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Phantasmagorium - the personal statement is the place to explain why you are choosing to pursue dentistry, and why you'd make a great dentist. I don't think turning down medical school is a negative, if you discovered it wasn't the right path for you. Just be honest about it and mention it, but there's no need to dwell or be apologetic about it in your statement.

Also, I don't think you need to shadow over and above others to 'prove' your interest - just do as much as you can or are comfortable with so long as you meet the requirements. I believe 60 hrs should meet most requirements - I don't remember a school having as much as 100 hrs, but I could be mistaken.

I may be opening myself up to a firing squad here, but I'll say this anway. I sense that this statement implies that you believe that med school is "better" than dental school, and that the average person with the opportunity to go to med school OR dental school would choose med school.

Unfortunately, as much as everyone in this forum would hate to admit to it, I think that the perception of the general public is that dental school is for people who couldn't make it into med school. Frankly, I couldn't disagree more - my situation is proof of that, and I believe that there are many talented people who go into dentistry rather than medicine.

Are AdComs particularly sensitive to this issue? Does it help my situation at all since I was accepted (i.e. dental school is not just a "back up" to med school)?

Hehe, no no no that's not what I meant at all. All I was saying is that you had your mind set on med school for your own reasons, went through all the trouble in applying, was accepted, but then decided on dentistry, again for your own reasons. I've never been the kind of person that thought one was better than the other. They are very different and appeal to people in different ways. I personally never even thought about med school because it just wasn't the career I wanted to pursue.

...I think that the perception of the general public is that dental school is for people who couldn't make it into med school.

Do you really believe this is the perception of the general public? This may be true of those within medical fields, BUT prior to pursuing dentistry I (as a member of the general population) NEVER viewed dentists this way. Based on what I've heard, even the perception of dentistry as a career within the medical community has been improving over the years.

One is not any better than the other. They are both very respectable professions and very different at the same time. In your statement you just need to explain what turned you off about medicine and how that correlates into you choosing dentistry.

I think what the SNDer was getting at was you obviously were passionate enough about becoming a physician b/c you went as far as taking the MCAT, applying to, interviewing, and finally gaining an acceptance into medical school. So adcoms are going to ask "Why then did you decide to change your mind?" It has nothing to do with one being better than the other. I would guess the majority of pre-dents most likely were at one point a pre-med at some point. It is all about choosing the profession that fits you. Anyway good luck in your quest for dental school!!

One is not any better than the other. They are both very respectable professions and very different at the same time. In your statement you just need to explain what turned you off about medicine and how that correlates into you choosing dentistry.

I think what the SNDer was getting at was you obviously were passionate enough about becoming a physician b/c you went as far as taking the MCAT, applying to, interviewing, and finally gaining an acceptance into medical school. So adcoms are going to ask "Why then did you decide to change your mind?" It has nothing to do with one being better than the other. I would guess the majority of pre-dents most likely were at one point a pre-med at some point. It is all about choosing the profession that fits you. Anyway good luck in your quest for dental school!!
Yup that's what I meant. You say it much better. :)

Hi All,
I was accepted to medical school(s) early last year and decided not to pursue a M.D. for a number of reasons. After talking to classmates that are currently in dental school (at UCLA and Pitt) and shadowing some dentists, I've decided that dentistry is a much more "appealing" type of medicine, and I'm committed to pursuing a career in dentistry now.
I also know that I'll need to be able to thoroughly explain why I feel that dentistry is "the career path" for me.

As it has been mentioned in a previous post, the ps should be about:

1. who you are
2. how you became interested in dentistry
3. what have you done academically and otherwise (shadowing) to achieve your goal
4. what are your future plans in dentistry

You wish to start a new courtship yet you seem inclined to discuss your old flame. You need to concentrate your efforts only on your new found fancy. A ps is not a forum for a synopsis on the trial and tribulations you experienced studying for the MCAT, applying, getting accepted, rejecting the acceptance and finally deciding that dentistry is what you really want. Why you chose dentistry over medicine may be a subject that you will need to address during interviews. Some adcoms may consider medicine's loss as dentistry's gain. Your posts are a little scant in why you chose dentistry and you will need to come up with some reasonable explanation not so much to satisfy adcoms but more so to convince yourself that you made the right decision. Had you applied to med school and not been accepted, dental school might have felt that you caught them on the rebound and they would not be particularly thrilled to have an applicant settle for "second best". Since this is not the case there is no need to belabor the subject.

If the only reason you wish to pursue dentistry is because of the managed care issues, you may want to explore this topic further since, at least, in large metro areas you are likely to find more 80% of dental providers enrolled in managed care program of one form or another. Moreover, such a singular concern smacks of being more interested in dentistry for it's financial consideration than for more pragmatic reasons.

When you are ready, a critique of your ps is a pm away.

As it has been mentioned in a previous post, the ps should be about:

1. who you are
2. how you became interested in dentistry
3. what have you done academically and otherwise (shadowing) to achieve your goal
4. what are your future plans in dentistry

You wish to start a new courtship yet you seem inclined to discuss your old flame. You need to concentrate your efforts only on your new found fancy. A ps is not a forum for a synopsis on the trial and tribulations you experienced studying for the MCAT, applying, getting accepted, rejecting the acceptance and finally deciding that dentistry is what you really want. Why you chose dentistry over medicine may be a subject that you will need to address during interviews. Some adcoms may consider medicine's loss as dentistry's gain. Your posts are a little scant in why you chose dentistry and you will need to come up with some reasonable explanation not so much to satisfy adcoms but more so to convince yourself that you made the right decision. Had you applied to med school and not been accepted, dental school might have felt that you caught them on the rebound and they would not be particularly thrilled to have an applicant settle for "second best". Since this is not the case there is no need to belabor the subject.

If the only reason you wish to pursue dentistry is because of the managed care issues, you may want to explore this topic further since, at least, in large metro areas you are likely to find more 80% of dental providers enrolled in managed care program of one form or another. Moreover, such a singular concern smacks of being more interested in dentistry for it's financial consideration than for more pragmatic reasons.

When you are ready, a critique of your ps is a pm away.

#3 is kinda of redundant.
PS should include stuff that the other things in the application don't cover. The transcripts show grades(hopefully good ones) if there is a story to tell behind those grades, this is the part of the application to explain it. It could be a blemish, it could be a class experience that significantly impacted you in other ways.

Basically anything that defines you that can't be expressed in other ways, the personal statement is the way to do it.

You asked whether adcoms take "why dentistry and not medicine" question seriously. Let me just say this. 3 of my interviews were 15 min long, and in 2 of the interviews I was asked to respond to this question. It took me about 5 min each time to respond. 1 of my interviews was 30 min long. In this one, I was also asked of this question. I never noted down anywhere in my application that I considered medicine at some point.

The point is ... it's an extremely important question. Since you went pretty far with the med school application process and they know this from your AADSAS, this question becomes that much more critical when the adcoms look at your application. They obviously would like to address this @ some point.

In your case, I don't think it's smart to wait till you are asked during the interview but that's just my $.02.