LDR medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siberianhusky88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many long distance relationship threads concerning med school students, but I was wondering how busy first yr medical students really are. My friends in medical school tell me they speak to their significant others almost everyday, yet my boyfriend can only speak to me once a week???

Members don't see this ad.

Either your boyfriend really hates the phone or...it doesn't look good. At least for me, a guy who can't take 5 minutes out of his day to call me (and want to call me) isn't worth my time either. He's going to be a LOT busier 2nd and 3rd years, so if it's like this now I can't imagine how things will be in a year or two. I would talk to him about it and go from there. good luck :)

Either your boyfriend really hates the phone or...it doesn't look good. At least for me, a guy who can't take 5 minutes out of his day to call me (and want to call me) isn't worth my time either. He's going to be a LOT busier 2nd and 3rd years, so if it's like this now I can't imagine how things will be in a year or two. I would talk to him about it and go from there. good luck :)

Yeah, I have to agree here. It's a rare occurrence when I don't have time to call the SO. We usually talk for a few minutes even when there's an exam the next day. Now, since my school has exams every other week it's pretty tough to find a big enough block of time for taking a weekend off to visit, but phone calls really aren't a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there have been many long distance relationship threads concerning med school students, but I was wondering how busy first yr medical students really are. My friends in medical school tell me they speak to their significant others almost everyday, yet my boyfriend can only speak to me once a week???

Yea that doesn't sound right. First year isn't that time consuming
as people think. I usually have about 2-5 HOURS of leisure time per day.
So he's probably choosing to do other things besides studying over talking
to you. How far is the distance?

the distance is three hours...we email a few times a week, but we only talk on the phone once a week at most...but does it change anything if i say that he's never been much of a phone person? ehhh i'm trying really hard to make it sound better than it is right?

the distance is three hours...we email a few times a week, but we only talk on the phone once a week at most...but does it change anything if i say that he's never been much of a phone person? ehhh i'm trying really hard to make it sound better than it is right?
The thing is that none of us know your relationship so only you can decide if this means anything. I've known "non-phone people" but usually that just means they hate hour-long phone conversations, not just talking for 5 or 10 minutes. I would encourage you to talk to him about your concerns, and if he answers "I'm not a phone person" you can ask him to try to call you more frequently. And if he says "I'm too busy" well...then I think that might not be a good sign.

Sometimes in medical school, I'm so busy that it seems like a day has gone by when maybe three days have gone by. So, when I was in a relationship, it often seemed from my perspective that there was very little time between phone calls, while my boyfriend felt there were bigger time gaps.

That wasn't why we broke up exactly, but it just shows the difference in perspective, and how things seem.

Talk to him about it- maybe he can give you more of a clue of how he feels about the relationship and why he doesn't talk on the phone more frequently.