*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://medicine.fiu.edu/admissions/Applying.html

The Letters of Recommendation

The FIU College of Medicine requires a minimum of three letters of recommendation, two from basic science faculty (biology, chemistry, physics, math) and one from any other faculty member who has taught the applicant. If your school has a Health Professions Advisory Committee, it is expected that the applicant will have the Committee letter. Additionally, it is preferred that full faculty letters be attached to this Committee letter. If the student has been enrolled in a graduate program, we expect to have letters from faculty in that program. In all cases, letters should be from individuals who know the student well. Details regarding the letters of recommendation are outlined on the secondary application.
Therefore, it is expected that you will have sent:
(a) Health Professions Advisory Committee letter with three or more letters attached, or
(b) Individual letters from science faculties (no more than two), and
(c) Individual letter from non-science faculty (no more than one)
(d) and up to two additional letters as desired by the applicant (physicians, research mentors, etc.)
AMCAS now accepts Letters of Recommendation/Evaluation (LORs) for a select number of schools. The FIU College of Medicine is among these schools. This service enables the selected medical schools to receive all letters electronically via AMCAS, and enables the authors to send all letters to be considered to AMCAS rather than to each school.
Two forms must be included with the LORs:

• AMCAS Letter Request (applicant can download from AMCAS application)
  • FIU Recommendation Waiver Form (applicant can download from the FIU Secondary Application)
Committee letters and individual letters must be written on official letterhead stationery and may be submitted in one of the following ways:

Members don't see this ad.

So, I didn't get the e-mail, but I was pretty sure they didn't screen.

My solution : I went to the website and clicked on "forgot password" and used the e-mail address on my AMCAS, since that's the one they have on file.

They sent my temporary password to my inbox, which allowed me to log in!

Haha, I think they're just sending out the e-mail in batches, but if they don't screen, then every single person SHOULD be able to log in.

(Edit: 15 minutes later...I just submitted it. Hooray for short secondaries!)

Yea, I know, I'm a little insane :oops:
That's pretty sneaky- I love it! (And it works for me BTW!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an email... hopefully it comes soon! I just hope it doesn't get blocked or something since I'm using gmail.

Be careful though. I followed Shemarty's lead and got a temp sent to me. Gmail put the email Penn sent out w/ the temp into the spam folder. Just make sure not to delete it accidentally.

What's the link for FIU's secondary?

Rochester's is now up. Literally took only 30 seconds to complete.

Link? LOR reqs?

I'd still like to link to all this info even if the secondary really is pretty hassle-free :)

Link? Prompt?

Here's the prompts:

How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

And the following essay is only for OUT OF STATE students:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a.) Reasons for selecting a medical career;

b.) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;

c.) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,

d.) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

e.) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

And the website: https://app.mc.uky.edu/secapp

Link? LOR reqs?

I'd still like to link to all this info even if the secondary really is pretty hassle-free :)
You're so swamped with secondaries that you forgot you already have Rochester's! They sent the email last week, but the secondary didn't open until today.

You're so swamped with secondaries that you forgot you already have Rochester's! They sent the email last week, but the secondary didn't open until today.

Yea, I JUST noticed that when I made a NEW Rochester thread (and pasted KENTUCKY'S prompt into it!)

Then I tried to make a new Kentucky thread but ended up REPLYING to my own duplicate Rochester thread.

Ahh...

Everything is fixed now, but there's still a second useless Rochester thread floating around now.

Yea, I'm going to go and... go jogging...

Secondaries are driving me nuts.

Ahhh. Who's sick of secondaries already?

I received 6 so far.

Did you know that Howard University is up? I don't think they send e-mails out for notification (aka they don't screen).

The 2nd is in .doc format.

The typical questions and then
A composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, avocational areas of interest, and your major reaction to contemporary life experienced during the last several years.

Theres also a spot for you to add more info about yourself.

LOR- committee or 3 individual- 2 science and one non science.

Last edited:
Jefferson Medical was just sent out a few minutes ago.

https://banner.jefferson.edu/pls/tju/jwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 500 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)

That's the only essay outside of the criminal background one. Just a bunch of questions to answer.

Ahhh. Who's sick of secondaries already?

I received 6 so far.

Did you know that Howard University is up? I don't think they send e-mails out for notification (aka they don't screen).

The 2nd is in .doc format.

Me! I have five right now - I'm going to triage them in this manner:

1. Schools that have no essays
2. Schools that I want to attend the most
3. Schools that I have the best chance at getting accepted
4. Schools that I want to attend the least

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email for OSU's secondary. Here are the essays.

• In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities. (600 words or less)

• Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far. (600 words or less)
What's supposed to be an acceptable turnaround for these things anyways?

why are some of these schools so nosey.....why does ECU care how many other schools I plan to submit secondaries to? Or my mothers job, or my high school, or my SAT score...blah blah blah.

Jefferson also asks for SAT scores. I don't even think I remember that information seeing as how I took that about 7 years ago :)

Did you really get the secondary? I got a status checker, but no secondary yet...

I cant find the LOR requirements for Jefferson.....can someone help a brother out?

NVM...they require one from Chem, bio, physics, and Humanities, if possible

Tooo bad I dont have a physics one.

The typical questions and then
A composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, avocational areas of interest, and your major reaction to contemporary life experienced during the last several years.

Theres also a spot for you to add more info about yourself.

LOR- committee or 3 individual- 2 science and one non science.

Is there a URL to the website so that I can link to it?

Ne1 get a secondary from UIC? I got a link to a status update page, but that was it. No secondary.

jeff

i got the uic status page email too, but it won't load for me, is there a trick to it?

The page won't load for me either. I called and they are having computer problems.

BAYLOR's secondary website seems to be working! The office had told me Jul 3rd, but they're ahead of schedule :D

Check the 1st post for the link.

Hey guys, I got the UIC secondary today too. It will be unavailable until tomorrow at 8 am as stated on the secondary page!

"The System will be Un-Available on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 5 PM and 8 AM the next day"

So when I was filling out my AMCAS, I indicated that I will be taking additional MCAT (my first) on the 05/27/08. Now my processed/verified AMCAS has my MCAT scores from the 05/27/08, but still indicates that I plan on taking the MCAT on 05/27/08.

Do you think med schools would actually see that I plan on taking additional MCAT and consider my application incomplete?

What should i do? Call AMCAS?

Thanks.

Is it right that as long as you received your secondary application, you can send the letters of recommendation through VirtualEval to the designated school before submitting the secondary application?

Thanks in advance

You can submit via Virtual Evals to all schools even if they haven't sent you a secondary.

They can just log on and download your letters when they want them.

Question regarding secondaries: if I'm retaking MCAT mid-July, scores won't be out till mid-August. Then, it doesn't matter if I turn in secondaries now or then right b/c either way, I'll be on hold until mid-Aug?

Could someone plz answer my qs regarding LSU pretty please :(

Also cant believe georgetown's is out i didnt get it :( I got George Washingtons though.

I was wondering if you guys knew if LSU was only taking residents now? I got a secondary but at the same time a note saying that theyre only taking residents or people who's family members or parents are alumnus. My mother did her residency there and my sister was born there... also I wanted to work in underserved/katrina affected area even though I am a California resident. I did apply very broad (about 50 schools) but theyre ALL schools I really see myself going to. I have broad interests (underserved, and neuro/research as well). It also said you can apply as MD/PhD without residency reqs is it a better option to do that ? Since you can later drop the PhD portion and just go for MD.... I really want to attend though so I dont want them to just eliminate me off the bat :confused:

any help REALLY appreciated thanks

Hey everyone, so my question is if schools like UCSD and UCLA aren't sending out secondaries for another month, does that mean they will send out the first batch of secondaries for everyone who qualifies whose amcas they've received or is that just for the people who were very early in getting their amcas to them, ie people whose amcas went out on the 24th. I submitted mine today, and will likely be verified by mid-july, a little before when they would start sending out secondaries. Would I be in the first batch of secondaries sent out? Anyone know how any of this works?

Also, does anyone know: For the UC's Prime programs at Davis, Irvine, and UCSF, how do we apply? Only UCLA's has theirs as a choice on AMCAS. Thanks!

Is ANYONE else bothered that Baylor's secondaries aren't encrypted? :scared:

Last edited:
UIC apparently screens before they give out secondaries so we will have to wait to see if they like our AMCAS enough. Below is what their website has.

Do you send supplemental applications to everyone?
No, since there is a fee associated with the supplemental application, we send it only to applicants we are seriously considering for admission.

just sent out emails about receiving my primary application....and they give you a place to check your status.

no info on secondaries yet.

(and i got all excited about maybe getting one from a school that screens:p)

VCU just sent out an email. But they screen primaries, so nothing is up yet for a secondary (it may be, but I'm still waiting on my MCAT, so I don't know).

The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. Your application will be reviewed by a subcommittee. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will be granted supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee's policy to grant supplemental applications only to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool.

Depending on the volume of applications coming from AMCAS it may take several weeks to complete the initial review of your application. Thank you for your interest in our school and best of luck with the application process.

They say the receive about 5000 applicants each year and extend secondaries to 2600.

Received their secondary by email. The secondary app. is attached.

Attachments

• Supplemental Application 2008-2009.doc
    41 KB · Views: 299
what kind of info do you think they are looking for in the "if there is any additional information you'd like to provide"?

what kind of info do you think they are looking for in the "if there is any additional information you'd like to provide"?

I think they are honestly just giving you a chance to share anything that you might not have had the chance to in AMCAS... But if you are going to share seems like it should be info that lets them know why you are a good fit for THEIR SCHOOL specifically... Just my 2 cents...

I think they are honestly just giving you a chance to share anything that you might not have had the chance to in AMCAS... But if you are going to share seems like it should be info that lets them know why you are a good fit for THEIR SCHOOL specifically... Just my 2 cents...
Yup. Standard question.

I described what I look like naked...I am pretty sure that it's gonna buy me some brownie pts.

So when I was filling out my AMCAS, I indicated that I will be taking additional MCAT (my first) on the 05/27/08. Now my processed/verified AMCAS has my MCAT scores from the 05/27/08, but still indicates that I plan on taking the MCAT on 05/27/08.

Do you think med schools would actually see that I plan on taking additional MCAT and consider my application incomplete?

What should i do? Call AMCAS?

Thanks.

Let me know what amcas says, I have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.