Surgery on normal newborns besides circumcision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, first off I don't remember ever saying that circumcision was more effective than condoms... That's stupid. But I was correct on the United Nations and CDC study, it does appear to reduced infections and Im going to bet that some of the guys doing the study were probably uncircumcised.

I think the whole "circumcised men keep looking for new ways to defend the practice" thing is a load of crap too. Most if not all of the scientists and physicians I have ever been around or known are very objective people and if the evidence isn't there, they don't do it. I think that most of the data does point to some health benefit, but I do think is a small enough benefit that if people don't want to do then that's fine.

I honestly have a hard time even seeing how this is a big deal? Why are you so against it? I really want to know...

I know you probably think I'm a little crazy, but hear me out. If you'd grown up in a country where non-religious infant circumcision had dropped from about 35% to 1%, chances are you'd be agreeing with me. Heck, maybe I'd be taking your side if I'd grown up where you are.

Part of the reason this is a big deal is that millions of baby boys are having the most sensitive part of their penis cut off for bogus medical reasons. It's not just a little flap of skin to protect the glans (the glans isn't even especially sensitive). If someone wants to have their foreskin cut off, for whatever reason, that should be up to them, not someone else's decision. If someone wants to have it done to themselves, then that's fine, but I think it's wrong to be doing it to children who cannot give their informed consent.

The Canadian Children's Rights Council think it's a big deal too btw: http://www.canadiancrc.com/Circumcision_Genital_Mutilation_Male-Female_Children.aspx

You can't deny that the reasons given to perform circumcision have changed. Non-religious circumcision started because of the anti-masturbation hysteria in the 19th century. That was the primary reason for over half a century. No-one wants to think that it was a mistake to have had an operation on their penis though, or to have had it done to their children, and people have looked for other reasons to have it done. If no male had ever been circumcised without a direct medical reason, and I posted here recommending that it be done to all newborns, you'd probably consider me clinically insane. We could make a much stronger case for routine appendectomy, and it's not that long ago that preventive tonsillectomy was common (though not on newborns). Breast cancer kills one in nine women, and we could prevent it with routine mastectomy, but we wouldn't consider that. Even families with the BRCA1 and BRCA2 breast cancer genes, and family history of early onset breast cancer still let the women affected decide for themselves rather than have it done to them as children.

It has become a much more important issue now that money and resources are being diverted in Africa from ABC (Abstinence, Being Faithful, Condoms) to promoting circumcision instead.

Objectivity doesn't seem to be much in evidence when discussing circumcision. I know you can accuse me of that too, but I've tried to make an objective case. I've posted links from the national medical organisations in Canada, the UK, and Australia all countries where most of the doctors will have been circumcised, but where circumcision is now rare. You won't find any such statements promoting circumcision from countries where routine circumcision has never been practised.

One of the African RCT's described circumcision as "comparable to a vaccine of high efficacy" - hardly evidence of scientific objectivity, given the actual results. It appears that all or almost all the researchers in the African RCT's were circumcised themselves, or from a circumcising culture, and that they were looking for a certain result. Some of them have been actively promoting circumcision for many years before AIDS in Africa became an issue, and were evangelical about it before. Many people wanted another reason to circumcision. Brian Morris, one of the most active and vocal proponents of infant male circumcision for many years has now described it as a "surgical vaccine", and "a biomedical imperative for the 21st century", despite the fact that the national medical organisation in his own country says there is no need for it, and the fact that "routine" circumcision is actually *banned* in Australian public hospitals in all states except one. Australia's circumcision rate has dropped from 90% to 12.6%, so the doctors who decided it was a bad idea were almost all circumcised themselves or married to circumcised men.

You didn't say that circumcision was more effective than condoms, and I never said you had, but anyone looking at the news coming out of Africa could be forgiven for thinking so. No US government funds can be used to promote condoms, even though they're much cheaper and much more effective than any of the claims made for circumcision. If circumcision made people immune to HIV, I'd be all for promoting it to adults in countries where there is a high rate of HIV. The epidemiological and trial evidence is much weaker than anyone wants to admit though. No-one seems to want to talk about the fact that HIV+ men seem to be more dangerous to women if they've been circumcised, or that there are no fewer than six countries where circumcised men are more likely to be HIV+, or that circumcised virgins are far more likely to be HIV+ than intact virgins. Circumcised men also appear more reluctant to use condoms, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that some men believe that circumcision does make them immune, and that it's harder for women to insist on condom use if the man is circumcised. It's also much harder to stamp out female circumcision (some forms of which are truly horrific), if male circumcision is being promoted at the same time. Twenty men died of circumcision in just one province of South Africa in this year's circumcision season btw. That's from the operation alone - it doesn't include forcible circumcisions, or people killed in the related violence that accompanies the circumcision season.

The French National Aids Council said the following:
the implementation of male circumcision as part of a raft of preventative measures could destabilise health care delivery and at the same time confuse existing prevention messages. Experience has shown that it is extremely difficult to communicate prevention using several means, and the addition of a new ‘tool’ could actually cause a result opposite to that which was originally intended.

I could go on, but I gottago.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and just to get this out there.

I'm neither for or against circumcision. I think that it does show a small health benefit, but that it's so slight that not being circumcised or uncircumcised isn't a big deal. I also think that the operation is so benign that its completely ok for parents to have their male babies circumcised if they want too.

What I am totally against is people being radical and irrational about a single issue, especially something as unimportant as foreskin. Like my mother would say "There are murderers and rapists roaming the streets freely and they're worried about this?!?!?"

Also, I will say that in my personal experience working in a rural hospital in the southwest United States that I have personally see two men die from infected foreskins (both became septic)...

I'm neither for or against circumcision. I think that it does show a small health benefit, but that it's so slight that not being circumcised or uncircumcised isn't a big deal. I also think that the operation is so benign that its completely ok for parents to have their male babies circumcised if they want too.

What I am totally against is people being radical and irrational about a single issue, especially something as unimportant as foreskin. Like my mother would say "There are murderers and rapists roaming the streets freely and they're worried about this?!?!?"

Also, I will say that in my personal experience working in a rural hospital in the southwest United States that I have personally see two men die from infected foreskins (both became septic)...

The original topic of this thread highlights the completely unique attitude many Americans have toward the male foreskin. If you try, perhaps you can step back and consider why any part of the normal human body can be considered "unimportant," even when it has identifiable functions including sensory perception. This is very challenging to men circumcised as newborns for many reasons including their lack of knowledge of what they are missing, and the unthinkable concept that they have lost something sexually.

But intact men seem, nearly universally, to appreciate what they have and not want to lose it. And they do know what they have to lose.

Your anecdotes about foreskin infections lead me to make two points. First, the usual double standard is in force here: Any body part can get infected, but no other one is ever cut off routinely to prevent the small percentage of infections. Second, sepsis can also result from circumcision and lead to death:

Complications of circumcision

Sepsis

Infection occurs after circumcision in up to 10 per cent of patients3,15. In the majority of cases this is usually mild and manifested by local inflammatory changes, but occasionally there is ulceration and suppuration. Most infections are of little consequence and settle with local treatment, Occasionally, however, sepsis may have a more alarming consequences and may even cause death46-48.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kai Zhur,

What exactly is your background? Are you a nurse, medical student, doctor. etc?

Or do you just have a fascination with c*cksocks and the free time to look up obscure "papers"?

I'm just wondering because your on here talking to people in the field and you seem to be totally unable to rational discussions that happen to be against your point of view. That in my experience isn't something seen a lot in science heavy fields....

Kai Zhur,

What exactly is your background? Are you a nurse, medical student, doctor. etc?

Or do you just have a fascination with c*cksocks and the free time to look up obscure "papers"?

I'm just wondering because your on here talking to people in the field and you seem to be totally unable to rational discussions that happen to be against your point of view. That in my experience isn't something seen a lot in science heavy fields....

There's no need to change the conversation to an ad hominem exploration of my background. There is also no need to accuse me of irrationality when I have responded to specific statements you made, but you have failed to extend the same courtesy. Those tactics earn you no credit in "science heavy fields."

I hope you are aware that the current disposition towards circumcision in the American medical community is an anomaly in the worldwide medical community. You should be if you read the quotes posted by ml66uk.

I can only conclude that my argument, that acceptance of non-therapeutic circumcision requires special exceptions to the rules of conduct applied in other areas of medical practice, is one to which you have no effective counter-argument.

In all the posts in this thread, we have yet to identify any other surgery which physicians will perform on normal newborns at parental request without any particular medical purpose. Others here have stated plainly what is effectively the consensus of the American medical community, that newborn circumcision is practiced for cultural reasons, not medical ones.

I understand that the process of confronting previously held assumptions and notions is difficult, especially ones that were carved into your flesh as child , or ones in which you have some other vested interest. That is a process many Americans will go through as we transition to a respect for the bodily integrity rights of our young boys.

O Hai GAIZ.

just thought I would drop in and say high to our resident "all our base are belong to us" circumcision opponent and the trolls that feed him.

:)

For the circumcision defenders: Should circumcision be covered by health insurance and/or Medicaid?

Seems like a waste of money to me.

For the circumcision defenders: Should circumcision be covered by health insurance and/or Medicaid?

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Hey man, poor people deserve attractive penises too.

All forms of female circumcision are horrific. It is one of the greatest human atrocities in history, period. But that's not the issue here and your gonna have to prove the second part of this statement because I don't believe you.

Why are all forms of female circumcision horrible? I don't deny that the practice has a much bloodier and violent history, but if we showed that women had a small decrease in UTI's and HIV infection if we removed part of the vulva soon after birth, why would you be against that? It's the same thing.

I'm gonna go ahead and bite too...

ml66uk: If you'd grown up in a country where non-religious infant circumcision had dropped from about 35% to 1%, chances are you'd be agreeing with me. Heck, maybe I'd be taking your side if I'd grown up where you are.
RPW: Where I grew up doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm a scientist and a student doctor, I objectively look at data and make the best decision I can based off of that. I share virtually none of the religious beliefs and "home town conservative" values of where I grew up, I'm considerably more left leaning...
Where people grew up and what they consider "normal" shouldn't affect their views on the medical benefits and risks of genital surgery, but obviously does. There are plenty of doctors and circumcised women in Egypt, Malaysia and elsewhere, that will actively promote female circumcision.

ml66uk: Part of the reason this is a big deal is that millions of baby boys are having the most sensitive part of their penis cut off for bogus medical reasons.
RPW: Its not bogus!! Data indicates that circumcision does give a health benefit (albeit not a huge one). And just how sensitive is the foreskin anyways? I'm circumcised and if my penis was anymore sensitive I wouldn't be able to wear pants, and even then a slight breeze would be more than I could handle!!!
If there are health benefits, then why do the Canadian Pediatric Society, the British Medical Association, and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians say there are none? Most of the male doctors in these countries will be circumcised themselves, so why would they not believe in the net medical benefits that many of the posters here are convinced exist?
The foreskin is the most sensitive part of the penis. It's not just there to protect the glans - it actually has a value, so you need a convincing reason to cut it off, especially if you're doing it someone that can't consent. The outer foreskin is no more sensitive than the skin lower down the penis, but the inner foreskin is packed with nerve endings, a lot more so than the glans. Other areas of the body with mucosal boundaries show the same properties (eg lips, labia minora, anus). If you're circumcised, then the most sensitive part of your penis will probably not be any part of the glans, but the scar line where you were circumcised (it could be the frenulum, but most circumcisions remove this).

It is indeed uncomfortable for an intact man to walk about with his penis flaccid, but the foreskin retracted (with or without pants). The main reason is because the inner foreskin is exposed though, not because the glans is exposed.

ml66uk: You can't deny that the reasons given to perform circumcision have changed.
RPW: Why would I? This is medical science, it changes. We get new and better information and make changes based on that. Sure those guys in the past were wrong about a lot of things and it hurt people (blood-letting, mercury drugs, cupping, etc.) but they were doing the best they could with the data they had. We're still doing the best we can with the data we have and I bet some of the stuff we do won't be looked upon to highly in the future.
If no male had ever been circumcised, we wouldn't be looking for possible benefits or reasons to justify it, and it would be viewed in the same way as female circumcision.

ml66uk: We could make a much stronger case for routine appendectomy, and it's not that long ago that preventive tonsillectomy was common (though not on newborns). Breast cancer kills one in nine women, and we could prevent it with routine mastectomy, but we wouldn't consider that. Even families with the BRCA1 and BRCA2 breast cancer genes, and family history of early onset breast cancer still let the women affected decide for themselves rather than have it done to them as children.
RPW: That's a ridiculous argument. The operations you have listed are major operations with numerous and deadly complications. Circumcision for the most part is a benign procedure with very few complications and even less major or deadly complications.
That argument might seem ridiculous to you, but it's not that long ago that kids routinely had their tonsils removed. It's very rare, but children do die and suffer amputations when circumcision goes wrong. If there is no net medical benefit, then why do it at all, especially on a child who can't make his own decision?

ml66uk: One of the African RCT's described circumcision as "comparable to a vaccine of high efficacy"
RPW: Who said this?
It's in the Auvert study:
CONCLUSION: Male circumcision provides a degree of protection against acquiring HIV infection, equivalent to what a vaccine of high efficacy would have achieved.
Seems like a degree of researcher bias to me. It looks like they really really wanted this to work. Just imagine how badly people want to discover a vaccine for HIV.

ml66uk: Many people wanted another reason to (promote) circumcision.
RPW: I know right!!! There are so many people just dying to find reasons to chop penises off... I bet they were feminists...
Actually, most of the outspoken of proponents of male circumcision are male, but then most of the proponents of female circumcision are female.

ml66uk: Brian Morris, one of the most active and vocal proponents of infant male circumcision for many years has now described it as a "surgical vaccine", and "a biomedical imperative for the 21st century"
RPW: Yup, he's a radical... He is basically the mirror opposite to people who are radically against circumcision. There are radicals in both camps and that proves nothing.
There are indeed radicals in both camps. Some of the extreme intactivists do more harm than good. There are plenty of intelligent articulate people who are totally against circumcision though. Despite his extremism, Brian Morris gets an incredible amount of airtime in Australia, considering his message is the polar opposite of what the national medical organisation says. He isn't the only pro-circer with outspoken views who in my opinion gets more credibility than is warranted. The main reason the AAP no longer says outright that circumcision is not necessary is because of Dr Edgar Schoen, former chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics' Task Force on Circumcision. He has his very own totally one-sided pro-circ website, which doesn't even seem to consider the possibility that the foreskin might have any value, or that people should be able to choose for themselves whether or not part of their penis is removed. Hardly a dispassionate observer, yet he chaired the group to determine the AAP's circumcision policy.

ml66uk: You didn't say that circumcision was more effective than condoms, and I never said you had, but anyone looking at the news coming out of Africa could be forgiven for thinking so.
RPW: No, actually they couldn't...
If someone who knows nothing about all this was told that the US government is planning to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on promoting male circumcision, but not a cent on promoting condoms, that's what they'd think. There have also been a lot more press articles about circumcision in the last few years than about condoms. It's new (in this context), it gets people's attention, and perhaps most importantly, it's news that circumcised men want to spread and hear.

ml66uk: No US government funds can be used to promote condoms
RPW: Don't even get me started on how stupid the US's sex ed policy is, but that isn't the issue here.
Glad to hear we agree on something :) It is relevant though, because since people can't promote condoms (which are highly effective against HIV transmission), it makes people look for alternatives, even if they are a lot less effective. The people who are against condoms will embrace anything-but-condoms, whether it makes sense or not. Most aid programs don't allow targetting sex workers either, even though one HIV+ prostitute might have sex with up to 50 (or more!) men in one day, most of the time not using condoms. Most aid workers can't focus on them though, as it's viewed as condoning prostitution.

ml66uk: The epidemiological and trial evidence is much weaker than anyone wants to admit though.
RPW: Even if circumcision decreases the odds of HIV infection by 1% then it would save thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people from getting infected.
I honestly think it will mean that more people will die from HIV, not fewer, even if not one cent and not one minute of any health professional's time is diverted from promoting ABC (Abstinence, Being faithful, Condoms).

ml66uk: No-one seems to want to talk about the fact that HIV+ men seem to be more dangerous to women if they've been circumcised, or that there are no fewer than six countries where circumcised men are more likely to be HIV+, or that circumcised virgins are far more likely to be HIV+ than intact virgins.
RPW: BULLSH*T!!! Even if this is remotely true its all do to more men being circumcised in those countries, not the fact that they are circumcised. If in fact the circumcised virgins are more often HIV+ Im gonna bet it's do to them becoming infected during birth not during circumcision. Do you know how to interpret statistics?
I understand statistics, but you seem to misunderstand these. If circumcision is so great against HIV, then regardless of the circumcision rate or the HIV rate in any given country, the circumcised men should be less likely to have HIV. The opposite is true in Cameroon, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Rwanda, and Tanzania
Cameroon http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR163/16chapitre16.pdf table 16.9, p17 (4.1% v 1.1%)
Ghana http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR152/13Chapter13.pdf table 13.9 (1.6% v 1.4%)
Lesotho http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR171/12Chapter12.pdf table 12.9 (22.8% v 15.2%)
Malawi http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR175/FR-175-MW04.pdf table 12.6, p257 (13.2% v 9.5%)
Rwandahttp://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR183/15Chapter15.pdf , table 15.11 (3.5% v 2.1%)
Tanzania http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR173/13Chapter13.pdf not comparable

It's generally presumed that the higher HIV rates in circumcised virgin males is because of the unsanitary conditions in which circumcision is often performed, especially tribal circumcision.

ml66uk: Circumcised men also appear more reluctant to use condoms, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that some men believe that circumcision does make them immune
RPW: There is no cure for stupidity...
There isn't, but smart informed people don't get HIV, whether they're circumcised or not. Uninformed uneducated people who hear circumcision being described as a "vaccine" and have more unsafe sex as a result, are more likely to get HIV. Once they have it, circumcised men appear more likely to transmit the virus to women if they have unsafe sex.

ml66uk: and that it's harder for women to insist on condom use if the man is circumcised.
RPW: Why? Does having my foreskin chopped off make me that much more seductive?
The problem is that some men are saying that because they've been circumcised, they don't need to use a condom.

ml66uk: It's also much harder to stamp out female circumcision (some forms of which are truly horrific), if male circumcision is being promoted at the same time.
RPW: All forms of female circumcision are horrific. It is one of the greatest human atrocities in history, period. But that's not the issue here and your gonna have to prove the second part of this statement because I don't believe you.
Actually, some of the forms of female circumcision are very minor. Some of them involve just a symbolic nick in the clitoral hood, or even just a pinprick to remove one drop of blood. One form is the direct equivalent of the usual form of male circumcision (there are a few different forms of male circumcision too). Earlier this year, a Dutch doctor suggested promoting the "pin-prick" style of female circumcision, but despite his intentions being to protect girls from worse, he was condemned from all sides. Some of the girls he was trying to protect will be sent to Africa, and come back with their clitoris and inner labia removed.

Re you second point - I've debated with people defending female circumcision. One of their main arguments is that if it's ok for boys, why shoudn't it be ok for girls. Up until the 1950's there were still articles in the US medical press recommending female circumcision btw, and they make the same comparison. Here are two from 1958 and 1959. Blue Cross/Blue Shield had a code for clitoridectomy up until 1977, and there are western women walking round the USA today who have no external clitoris or inner labia because they were cut out by western surgeons. One victim wrote a book about it:
Robinett, Patricia (2006). "The rape of innocence: One woman's story of female genital mutilation in the USA."

ml66uk: Twenty men died of circumcision in just one province of South Africa in this year's circumcision season btw. That's from the operation alone - it doesn't include forcible circumcisions, or people killed in the related violence that accompanies the circumcision season.
RPW: Just what in the hell is the "circumcision season", "forcible circumcisions", and what violence is related to it?
The circumcision season is a tribal thing, and generally associated with violence, often with several people dead and injured. Think last day of school, only 100 times worse. The South African Medical Journal published this article.

By "forcible circumcision", I meant where grown men are circumcised against their will (though I suppose it could apply to children too). You can google it here.

ml66uk: The French National Aids Council said the following:
the implementation of male circumcision as part of a raft of preventative measures could destabilise health care delivery and at the same time confuse existing prevention messages. Experience has shown that it is extremely difficult to communicate prevention using several means, and the addition of a new ‘tool' could actually cause a result opposite to that which was originally intended.
RPW: So we shouldn't do something because people are to ignorant and/or stupid to understand it??? That's not a very good stance. Perhaps we should also invest in education in Africa along with HIV prevention...
I think it's a huge mistake to be promoting circumcision rather than condoms and sex education. ABC works far better, and there are those six African countries where circumcised men are more likely be HIV+ than intact men. It's important to remember that HIV doesn't strike people at random, and circumcision can't possibly help anyone unless they have unsafe sex with an HIV+ partner. There are much cheaper and more effective ways of fighting HIV then promoting circumcision.

Like I said earlier, the (mostly-circumcised) doctors in Canada, the UK, and Australia think there is no net medical benefit. That being the case, children should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they want irreversible surgery performed on their genitals.

There seem to be a lot more problems with foreskins in the USA. In the UK, the rate of medically indicated circumcisions is only 1 in 140, and dropping as alternatives become more common. One of the problems seems to be forcible retraction, which all the medical organisations say should not happen, but which some doctors still recommend. This itself seems to cause a lot of problems. I have to say I've never heard of anyone dying from an infected foreskin. It never seems to happen in Europe, which has a heck of a lot more foreskins. Could these cases not have been prevented by hygiene rather than pre-emptive surgery? It's like the penile cancer thing - it's very rare, and there are countries which don't circumcise that have lower rates than the USA which mostly does. Vulval cancer is more common than penile cancer too, but we don't cut off parts of baby girls just in case.

Why is it OK for people to get upset about female circumcision, but somehow anyone against male circumcision is "radical" and "irrational"? Predictably, the people that defend female circumcision make similar attacks against people who are against that (try debating with them). If I replace "as unimportant as foreskin" with "as unimportant as the clitoral hood", maybe you would see things differently, even though they are anatomically equivalent. Sure, there are more important things like wars and stuff, but I happen to think it's wrong for children to have parts of their genitals cut off without their informed consent. It's become a lot more important now, because people are promoting circumcision to help prevent AIDS, and I believe that will result in more deaths from AIDS.

Hey man, poor people deserve attractive penises too.
In countries which don't circumcise, the women tend to find circumcised penises unattractive. There are also galleries of circumcisions, where there was no medical complication, but the results are just plain ugly, and in extreme cases make sex itself considerably more difficult. There are also plenty of circumcised men who are unhappy about it. All people deserve to choose for themselves if they want a cosmetic operation carried out on their penis. If you leave someone intact, they can get circumcised later - it doesn't work the other way round.
You won't be surprised to know that I get baiters and trolls when I post against female circumcision too btw.

Last edited:
All people deserve to choose for themselves if they want a cosmetic operation carried out on their penis.
I have read all the posts in this thread and I can say I'm still not sure whether or not circumcision is completely cosmetic or not. Several different opinions have been presented both for and against. And, while you presented the most evidence supporting the assertion that circumcision is futile, you only cited studies supporting your opinion. Which makes me think you only looked up studies supporting your opinion. But hey, that's what you do in debate :D

Now, as best I can see it, it's certainly not unambiguous whether or not circumcision is purely cosmetic. Therefore it does become a matter of cost benefit analysis. Circumcision generally has a low risk of complication(in contrast to other surgical procedures you mentioned). The cost is low and the potential benefit could be high.

Children don't get to make their own medical decisions. Some people consider circumcision to be a medical decision (whether you agree with that or not) therefore, we let the parents decide. Circumcisions aren't forced on anyone in the United States. We ask. The doctor is just the tool, no pun intended.

Josh

P.S. - By your logic, no newborn with a cleft lip should ever be operated on.

Last edited:
I have read all the posts in this thread and I can say I'm still not sure whether or not circumcision is completely cosmetic or not.

Look at it this way. The official stance (AAP) is that there is insufficient evidence to recommend it. The official stance also is that parental cultural preference (for cosmetic or any other reason) is a legitimate reason to perform the surgery. Calling it "cosmetic surgery" is overly specific, because parents may want it for other reasons.

Therefore, a more accurate term is non-therapeutic circumcision.

Under no standard applied consistently in medicine can newborn circumcision be considered a therapeutic procedure.

Several different opinions have been presented both for and against. And, while you presented the most evidence supporting the assertion that circumcision is futile, you only cited studies supporting your opinion. Which makes me think you only looked up studies supporting your opinion. But hey, that's what you do in debate :D

We could try to review all the evidence, cite study after study after study and scrutinize the validity of each (nothing wrong with that), but it's worth emphasizing that this has already been done by medical associations worldwide so that they could give recommendations, and every one of them has decided not to recommend the surgery.

This is in stark contrast to evidently beneficial treatments, like the vaccines which have saved or improved so many lives.

Now, as best I can see it, it's certainly not unambiguous whether or not circumcision is purely cosmetic. Therefore it does become a matter of cost benefit analysis. Circumcision generally has a low risk of complication(in contrast to other surgical procedures you mentioned). The cost is low and the potential benefit could be high.

The potential benefits have been extensively studied. The more it's studied, the more it vanishes. The complication rate may be low compared to other surgeries, but the correct comparison is to the alternative of no surgery.

A cost benefit analysis, done right, should include factors typically left out. The male foreskin serves functions including sensory perception. How do you put a value on that?

Children don't get to make their own medical decisions. Some people consider circumcision to be a medical decision (whether you agree with that or not) therefore, we let the parents decide.

Parents can't force a doctor to operate. Some parents may consider removing their child's earlobes to be a medical decision (friend of a cousin had one that got infected), but would doctors "let the parents decide" and remove them upon request? Not likely.

Circumcisions aren't forced on anyone in the United States. We ask. The doctor is just the tool, no pun intended.

Circumcisions are forced on males in the United States. Thousands, every day. They are not asked. They couldn't understand if they were.

When you ask, you ask the parents, but why? The newborn does not need the surgery. The surgery is not recommended by any medical association. No medical evidence exists to justify it. Solicitation for unnecessary surgery is questionable both ethically and legally, so why ask?

A physicians group formed to improve this situation has a good pamphlet on this. I hope you'll ponder all these issues deeply and, perhaps, join their organization.

Look at it this way. The official stance (AAP) is that there is insufficient evidence to recommend it. The official stance also is that parental cultural preference (for cosmetic or any other reason) is a legitimate reason to perform the surgery. Calling it "cosmetic surgery" is overly specific, because parents may want it for other reasons.

Here is the official stance of the AAP:

"Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In circumstances in which there are potential benefits and risks, yet the procedure is not essential to the child's current well-being, parents should determine what is in the best interest of the child. To make an informed choice, parents of all male infants should be given accurate and unbiased information and be provided the opportunity to discuss this decision. If a decision for circumcision is made, procedural analgesia should be provided."

Ref: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3b103/3/686
As you can see, culture has nothing to do with their statement. However, I do trust what the AAP has to say. Reading it carefully, leaves a few things open to interpretation. They don't recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In other words, they don't consider it a standard of care. However, they still leave it up to the parents to decide what is best for their child (based on accurate and unbiased information). They do this because, "Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision." As I said before, some parents still consider this to be a medical decision because, "Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision." Whether or not it's a standard of care is irrelevant.

Which leads me to my next point...

Therefore, a more accurate term is non-therapeutic circumcision.

Under no standard applied consistently in medicine can newborn circumcision be considered a therapeutic procedure.
Non-therapeutic is an even worse term than strictly cosmetic. Therapy implies curative treatment of the disease process. Vaccinations are typically non-therapeutic as well. Both circumcision and vaccinations fall under the realm of preventative medicine. The reason the AAP doesn't recommend routine neonatal circumcisions, I suspect, is because the cost benefit analysis doesn't play out in the right direction for them(the opposite I imagine would be true for vaccinations). And hey, that's fine. However, I still stick by my original stance.

Everything else you had to say I pretty much agree with. As you can see by the previous paragraph. Except for...

Circumcisions are forced on males in the United States. Thousands, every day. They are not asked. They couldn't understand if they were.

When you ask, you ask the parents, but why? The newborn does not need the surgery. The surgery is not recommended by any medical association. No medical evidence exists to justify it. Solicitation for unnecessary surgery is questionable both ethically and legally, so why ask?
I'm assuming you mean by the parents. Again, would you make this assertion for a cleft lip? And again, the word is routine neonatal circumcision. They're not adopting it as a standard of practice. They're not saying that it's wrong or even that there is no potential medical benefit.

Even so, it wouldn't matter if the procedure isn't recommended. It's the parents decision. Not the doctors, not yours, not mine. I really like that you're being an advocate for children. That's a good thing. However, cost benefit analysis falls to the sentient party. Just as it does with vaccines, just as it does with all things that could be categorized as preventative medicine. And that's the rub. NOTHING in preventative medicine can be considered essential(as much as people would like to say that something is). In relation to risk they are either considered to have positive outcomes or negative outcomes.

Josh

P.S. - I've thought a bunch about your posts, if I have a child, I don't think I would have him circumcised :)

Last edited:
Here is the official stance of the AAP:

As you can see, culture has nothing to do with their statement.

Later in the statement they state:

it is legitimate for the parents to take into account cultural, religious, and ethnic traditions, in addition to medical factors, when making this choice.
So they do explicitly legitimize circumcision for reasons unrelated to medical considerations.

However, I do trust what the AAP has to say. Reading it carefully, leaves a few things open to interpretation.

Take a look at this section of the statement:

There are anecdotal reports that penile sensation and sexual satisfaction are decreased for circumcised males. Masters and Johnson noted no difference in exteroceptive and light tactile discrimination on the ventral or dorsal surfaces of the glans penis between circumcised and uncircumcised men.
Do you notice a peculiar omission? Sensation of the glans is mentioned (circumcision does not remove the glans). Sensation of the foreskin is not mentioned.

Subsequent to this statement and its 2005 reaffirmation, the most comprehensive fine-touch mapping of penile sensation was conducted measuring 19 sites on the penis (163 participants). Several sites present only in the intact participants were more sensitive than any sites in circumcised participants.

The AAP statement does not include what is known about sensitivity differences between intact and circumcised men. Hopefully they will update it.

As I said before, some parents still consider this to be a medical decision because, "Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision." Whether or not it's a standard of care is irrelevant.

Potential medical benefits are not a sufficient standard to justify a prophylactic surgical intervention, particularly when the potential benefits are small and are mitigated by risks. Several additional criteria are needed.

I recommend reading
Prophylactic interventions on children: balancing human rights with public health.

Non-therapeutic is an even worse term than strictly cosmetic. Therapy implies curative treatment of the disease process. Vaccinations are typically non-therapeutic as well. Both circumcision and vaccinations fall under the realm of preventative medicine.

Unlike vaccinations, circumcision is surgery and removes healthy sensory tissue. Prophylactic surgery on a newborn is very unusual (excepting circumcision). Surgical operations on a newborn are normally therapeutic (excepting circumcision). The term calls attention to the exceptional nature of circumcision as a surgery without therapeutic value.

I'm assuming you mean by the parents. Again, would you make this assertion for a cleft lip?

No, because that is correction of a birth defect. I understand there can be gray area around the margins, disagreement about characterizing a condition as a defect or just a variation, but the vast majority of circumcisions fall into no such gray area.

Even so, it wouldn't matter if the procedure isn't recommended. It's the parents decision. Not the doctors, not yours, not mine.

Any doctor can decline to perform unnecessary circumcisions. I think it's disingenuous for a doctor to claim they are just doing what parents want. Their duty is to their child-patient, and they are not obligated to act against the child's best interests regardless of parental wishes. Countless parental requests would be declined on this basis.

I really like that you're being an advocate for children. That's a good thing. However, cost benefit analysis falls to the sentient party. Just as it does with vaccines, just as it does with all things that could be categorized as preventative medicine. And that's the rub. NOTHING in preventative medicine can be considered essential(as much as people would like to say that something is). In relation to risk they are either considered to have positive outcomes or negative outcomes.

Where does preserving the normal function and sensation of the penis fit into the cost-benefit analysis?

P.S. - I've thought a bunch about your posts, if I have a child, I don't think I would have him circumcised :)

:)

I appreciate your exploring areas of agreement and disagreement, without being disagreeable (or dismissive, or defensive, or offensive, or ...)

Later in the statement they state:

So they do explicitly legitimize circumcision for reasons unrelated to medical considerations.

Fair enough.

I'll take a look at it, but not today because I'm tired :)

Unlike vaccinations, circumcision is surgery and removes healthy sensory tissue. Prophylactic surgery on a newborn is very unusual (excepting circumcision). Surgical operations on a newborn are normally therapeutic (excepting circumcision). The term calls attention to the exceptional nature of circumcision as a surgery without therapeutic value.

No, because that is correction of a birth defect. I understand there can be gray area around the margins, disagreement about characterizing a condition as a defect or just a variation, but the vast majority of circumcisions fall into no such gray area.
That's all I really wanted to say. There are shades of gray. However, I believe all preventative medicine falls into a "shades of gray" area. There's always a risk and there's always a chance that nothing would have happened if no preventative measure was taken.

And, just because it's classified as a birth defect doesn't mean it's right by your logic. There is no benefit(medically) at all to repairing a cleft lip (palates are different of course) other than, "my kid looks prettier."

Where does preserving the normal function and sensation of the penis fit into the cost-benefit analysis?
In the cost section I would imagine. Anyway, sensation is one thing, but saying the function of the penis is impaired by circumcision..that might be stretching it a bit (holy crap I just realized how bad that sounds).

Any doctor can decline to perform unnecessary circumcisions. I think it's disingenuous for a doctor to claim they are just doing what parents want. Their duty is to their child-patient, and they are not obligated to act against the child's best interests regardless of parental wishes. Countless parental requests would be declined on this basis.
Totally agreed. However....there will always be a doctor who will do it. One who feels the possible benefits outweigh the very low risk. Then, it comes down to the parents again.

I understand what you're saying though. I believe you look at this as more of a philosophical issue. The way I read it, you consider circumcision as a form of assault. It seems like it's fairly black and white to you. And hey, that's cool. However, for me, if I tread that fine line (regardless of benefit) I have to consider a lot of things assault. I guess I'm just not willing to open Pandora's box like that.

I appreciate your exploring areas of agreement and disagreement, without being disagreeable (or dismissive, or defensive, or offensive, or ...)
Hey thanks. I like to keep an open mind when it comes to most topics, especially topics that will pertain to my future career. Anyway, thanks for all the info and I'm sure I'll see you around here.

Josh

(I've linked from elsewhere to one of the posts in this thread, and want to make sure it doesn't age out).