Predents.com: IMPORTANT! It may go away!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do to keep Predents.com alive?

• Advertising: I don't mind it so much.

Votes: 129 90.8%
  • Donations: I would throw you a few bones now and then.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing: Shut it down

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you frantic predents, wait'n for the REAL Christmas morning...Dec 1st!

OK, here's the deal. If you have been watching the news lately you will undoubtedly know about this economic crisis we are going through. I know most of you don't own a home and have no stocks so it doesn't really effect you. Unfortunately, it effects me...big time!! I won't go into details but the wife and I are at the bottom of our financial rope, as millions of others are all over America.

Predents.com has always been a gift to predents and SDN'ers. I didn't want any money for it. I just thought it was a cool idea and wish I had it during my process. This is why you see no advertisements, no fee to join/view the site and not even a donation option!. I took pride in that but things have changed.

Predents get's thousands of hits/day and my server costs are big(I had to switch to a dedicated server). The server needs to pay for itself or I have to shut it down (its that or lose my house...which will probably happen anyway)

So, my question is: Which would you rather have?

1) Advertising on the site
2) A donation option

I personally hate advertising on websites. It just makes it look so cheesy. Google ads are the way I'd go cuz they are the least lame option.

What I'm asking is, if there was a donation option, would you donate? All I would need is a little over $100/month and then I would disable the donation once the server bill was paid. It would look sorta like a little donation thermometer. Once you hit the top, it would be done for the month.

Also, if Predents.com stays alive, I will try my best to put more work into it. I have been getting lots of good suggestions and will implement them into the website for the next cycle.

What do you guys think?

BUMP this often (or maybe sticky :rolleyes:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not mind advertising so much....especially google ads are not that bad.

Sorry to hear about your situation..i feel ya!

i'll def donate if that means the site can keep going. predents.com has been one of the most useful resources out there for us predents. do u accept paypal? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll def donate if that means the site can keep going. predents.com has been one of the most useful resources out there for us predents. do u accept paypal? :D

If I decide to have a donation thing-a-ma-jiggie, it will most likely be PayPal.

BTW, "thing-a-ma-jiggie" is a REAL word. Look it up!!!!! :laugh:

Do whatever it takes to keep it alive! I wouldn't mind seeing both of these options.

I feel bad for you and I wish you luck.

I think that ads are the way to go. I think that many of us predents are pretty strapped for cash as well, and I KNOW that the stats on predents have helped me a lot both this and last application cycle, so disbanding the website would be a very sad loss for all predents. I pray you and your family make it through these tough times without too much loss.

Donations can help, but are not going to guarantee the payment every month. I would go with both. Put google ads, so you might even end up making some deserved money as well. You have done a pretty good job with predents.

could you not partner with SDN and their "designers"? you run off of their servers which would lighten your financial load. they could even possiblly pay you to continue to run it which would actually be a way for you to make an easy buck.

but if you market your site to the right people, i'm sure you could get a well over a $100 a month to keep your site running.
google, sdn, orgoman, kaplan, princton review, online booking agencies, etc...

Yeah I think ads would be a good way to make up some cash. I wouldn't mind the tiny inconvenience if it makes you some money. We all appreciate you and your site!! :)

I wish you the best with your situation, it's crazy what's going on and how many people are affected. I don't own a house, I'm still an undergrad, but I have some money in stocks and have been gettin' hammered.

I would say advertising can be helpful! I do not mind to see ads on Predents, and I hope it helps you to keep the website. It has been very helpful to us!

Last edited:
I say get the Advertisers, AND have an option to donate $10.

I know what you mean by advertising looking 'cheesy.' Instead of using google ads and what not, why not use destroyer ads, crack dat ads, or anything else related to dentistry? Kaplan...??

Donations can help, but are not going to guarantee the payment every month. I would go with both. Put google ads, so you might even end up making some deserved money as well. You have done a pretty good job with predents.

Yeah I would agree..Why not go with both? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say do both! Google ads aren't that bad actually--especially when they're sort of relevant to the site you're checking out. Donations probably aren't as reliable. I would do both and if you get more than $100/month, isn't that great? You definitely deserve it for giving us the best predental tool ever! Go Predents.com!! :thumbup:

For a number minded geek like me, I love using predents for comparing notes.

Thanks for donating all of your time and money into making predents a great site.

I'm not a fan of ads, but they may be more stable than donations. Donations may be hard to pace, which would force a PBS-like fundraising threadathon every month.

Minimal ads in conjunction with donations may be the best compromise.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
everyone above said it all. ads are ok i love ads!!!! just not the bush polling ones... -_-;;; but ads are fine and leave donation thingy-ma-jiggy too! i'd donate to keep Predents running!

I would pay but i think ads might be more effective because while most current members are aware of sdn and its benifits, new members may not want to pay a fee.

do the google ads....and if ppl click them everytime they visit you will end up MAKING money, so even better for you. i think with all the time you;ve put into that website over the years that you deserve a lil something out of it, even if the joy of running is is sufficient enough. i'm sure the wife would like some extra gas money! :thumbup:

I'd like to see advertising on the site. But what advertising can't do.. I'd be willing to donate a couple bucks a month or so..

Definitely do both. I dont think anyone here would care about the ads.

And you should also put donations on the website, like with PayPal.

When I finally get a job this summer Ill donate some money as well.

I say do both. You shouldn't have to pay to keep it going when you are the one who does all of the work. Plus you might even be able to make a little money which would be well deserved.

DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN!!

no seriously, your site is awesome, i mean it's so great i love it.

Do both, add a donations and advertising. You put a lot of work into it, and it's a nice original idea, and if you made a little money on the side i don't think anyone would complain.

I would donate a few$$, but advertising will probably be the best way for you to cover the costs.

(us predents are all broke after aadsas, dat fees and plane tickets)

I think you should do both. Also really consider the same type of site for specialty programs. Not really sure how this would work but you might able to tweak your current template.This would expand your market or user base to a population that may be nearing the end of their schooling. Just a thought. My vote google ads-

I like the advertisement idea!!!

I'm as poor as you are so I wouldn't donate, but I think you should definitely do what you can to keep that site up, even if it means taking donations and putting ads up. I found it very helpful when I was going through the application process.

I say do both. You shouldn't have to pay to keep it going when you are the one who does all of the work. Plus you might even be able to make a little money which would be well deserved.

I second this :thumbup:

Pdiz-

I agree with most people. Do both. Your website has helped me so much man. I don't have much but I could part with some of what I have to help out the site.

I'd say open it for donation as well as for ads. But I think it's also important that the users diligently enter their data to accurately reflect the admissions status. So, maybe we can do something to promote the site and encourage more predents to use it and be honest about their stats. But well, I might be a bit too idealistic here, though. :p

Thank you all for your kindness and support! My wife actually started crying while reading your replies!! :love:

I will do both since most of you suggested to do so. I signed up for Google Ads so expect that in a about 3-4 days while I get approved. For those who want/can donate, the PayPal will be up in about the same amount time.

Thanks a lot guys/gals. Predents.com lives another day!!!!!

PDiz

Definitely love the site!! I agree with everybody, we can bear a few ads to keep the site up!

Good job and thanks for helping out! :thumbup:

Predents is a great resource and I would hate to see it go away! I'd probably donate, but I think you are doing the right thing by getting the ads. I'll be sure to click through a couple times for ya!

Thank you all for your kindness and support! My wife actually started crying while reading your replies!! :love:

PDiz

Give her big hug for us. Bless you.
Thank you for your time and effort. Absolutely, I'm glad to hear the final decision.

PDiz,

I don't think the PreDent community can thank you enough! Predents is an extremely useful tool in the application process. That being said, I second your motion for the advertisements. Also, I wouldnt mind paying a few bucks to keep it going, and i'm sure i'm not the only one. Thanks again man. :thumbup:

Good to hear you're keeping it around, Pdiz. I used it a lil bit when I was applying. I hope you make some money for all your work!

All for the Ads and donations. Just let us know what to click on to maximize the revenue from the ads. I am not sure exactly hoiw they work, but if you get money each time an ad is clicked on I will be sure to click on every ad on that page every day at least once. You help us all so much and wed hate to lose the site.

All the predents owe you a little stake in their practices when we're done.

Thanks alot.

First, sticky it.
Second, make some ads, you deserve it. Make a lot. You can make a lot of money off it.
Lastly, get more hits on predents.com, you can cheat Google's pagerank and I don't think you are.

ads, definitely the way to go.
kudos on the website, keep up the good work!

OK, the Google Ads are up. Surprisingly, they are pretty relevant to dentistry...very cool.

Now, it is against Google policy for me to ask or even influence any third party to click on the ads. Having said that I will simply state two FACTS:

1) I do get revenue per click

2) I am NOT your Daddy and can't tell you what to do ;)

PDiz

OK, the Google Ads are up. Surprisingly, they are pretty relevant to dentistry...very cool.

Now, it is against Google policy for me to ask or even influence any third party to click on the ads. Having said that I will simply state two FACTS:

1) I do get revenue per click

2) I am NOT your Daddy and can't tell you what to do ;)

PDiz

Actually ads look fine! I like the fact that they are located in the bottom of the page, and they are relevant to dentistry and medicine! Good work!

I just spent the last 5 minutes or so clicking on the ads. ;) C'mon everyone, clickity-CLICK!!

thanks for all u do!!! :thumbup: i'll try to help out as much as possible.

I think you should accept donations too pdizzle....your site is only going to grow bigger and bigger and you can use the money to make improvements or if it gets to be more than you need cut the donations for a bit or sponsorship for a bit until you deem its needed again. Its better you have the necessary room (i.e. financial state) to do as you please with the website than collecting month to month just so the website can get by.

click-it-ty clich...you're gonna get rich!

Seriously, Pdizz and wife....your effort truly made my dental school search SOOOOOOO much easier. I used the stats found there to assist in my decision making - decisions that will affect the rest of my life and that of my family (17 month old and wife). I'm glad the burden has been slightly lifted for you. I believe you were meant to create predents.com for a higher purpose...your commitment is highly commendable. Grace, Peace and God Bless your family! You have been added to my prayer list!!
Dan

click-it-ty clich...you're gonna get rich!

Seriously, Pdizz and wife....your effort truly made my dental school search SOOOOOOO much easier. I used the stats found there to assist in my decision making - decisions that will affect the rest of my life and that of my family (17 month old and wife). I'm glad the burden has been slightly lifted for you. I believe you were meant to create predents.com for a higher purpose...your commitment is highly commendable. Grace, Peace and God Bless your family! You have been added to my prayer list!!
Dan

Thanks, that really means a lot in the bind my wife and I are in. Im real glad my website was useful and helped out predents. I was there once and feel your pain....believe me!

Peace out

PDiz