2008-2009 Suny Buffalo Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
interviewed 8/20
received waitlist email on 10/14:(
Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

how did the interview there go? i heard they have grueling questions?

Same here. Interviewed 8/27, waitlisted today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i interviewed 9/2, i was waitlisted today too

me too... interviewed late september. i liked the school too. and i was waiting until tomorrow noon to possibly hear good news from UB... but instead i see the grim email today...

Interview: 9/24
Waitlist: 10/14
I guess they did not take too kindly to my inability to answer Why Buffalo?...:rolleyes:

Interviewed 9/3 and waitlisted 10/14. Do they reject anyone or is it just accepted or waitlisted?

Interviewed 9/3 and waitlisted 10/14. Do they reject anyone or is it just accepted or waitlisted?

I do not know if they accepted anyone yet... They might be saving that for tomorrow...

i read somewhere that they accept a third of the interviewees and waitlist another half of the interviewees... which leaves just 17% who are actually rejected...

did those who got waitlisted receive a criminal background check (CBC) email?

I received an email from amcas asking me to fill out a consent form for a background check, but haven't heard from buffalo yet.

Do both waitlisted and accepted receive the CBC?

i did not get a CBC email. that is strange that they would send that to waitlisters.

Hey, im pretty sure if they sent you a CBC it means youll be accepted at some point today. They only send CBC to admitted students just to do one final back ground check to make sure the person there admitting isnt some crazy serial killer. congrats on the probable acceptance, on the subject of the waitlist tho, anyone else pissed that we wont find out if were off teh waitlist till MAY?!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else pissed that we wont find out if were off teh waitlist till MAY?!

ummm yeah! i wanted to get an acceptance from a school (any school) early in the game so that i didn't have to stress for the rest of the year. but i guess i'll be stressing for many more months...

Also, idk how it is with the rest of you, but the fact that i got waitlisted at buffalo where i thought i had a fairly good interview has gotten me into the mindset that ill most probably get waitlisted at the other 3 schools ive interviewed at. This process is so crazy. Yesterday i felt on top of the world and after getting a waitlist last night im starting to ponder whether or not ill even get in anywhere.

Also, idk how it is with the rest of you, but the fact that i got waitlisted at buffalo where i thought i had a fairly good interview has gotten me into the mindset that ill most probably get waitlisted at the other 3 schools ive interviewed at. This process is so crazy. Yesterday i felt on top of the world and after getting a waitlist last night im starting to ponder whether or not ill even get in anywhere.

same feelings here... i've only had 2 interviews so far. i thought the buffalo interview went better than my second interview. so now i'm on edge thinking that my second interview outcome might not be so hot. i didn't really change my interview technique from one interview to the next, so i hope it wasn't my interviewing skills that did me in...

I thought the decisions would be on the website at 8AM this morning. Anyone have any update on when we should hear??

I thought the decisions would be on the website at 8AM this morning. Anyone have any update on when we should hear??

I head they'd be up at noon, but I haven't heard anything yet. They're probably just running a little behind...definitely should be up by 5:00.

Check out last year's UB waitlist thread to see when they call with acceptances. It ranged from late April to late July. Bummer.

Looks like were almost identical applicants, weve both interviewed at the same exact schools except for albany med. Whend u interview at Downstate and Upstate? Also any idea when those two schools will let us know? if i get waitlisted at those two also, im not sure how im gonna last till april to find out if i get off the waitlist, its really gonna blow big time and kill my senior year.

Hey, im pretty sure if they sent you a CBC it means youll be accepted at some point today. They only send CBC to admitted students just to do one final back ground check to make sure the person there admitting isnt some crazy serial killer. congrats on the probable acceptance, on the subject of the waitlist tho, anyone else pissed that we wont find out if were off teh waitlist till MAY?!

Cool, just got an acceptance....good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

yeah...i felt like this was by far my best interview. and i just got accepted to another school where i thought my interview was meh..it just goes to show you.

lol, i knew it was too good to be true when every interviewee i talked to after the interviews said that they had a great interviews. buffalo seems to like giving false hope :)

Just wanted to let you guys know some info about the waitlist at UB, in case you didn't know it already...here goes a rather long post I guess.

UB initially waitlists a TON of people. They are pretty frugal about giving out acceptances this early in the game, since they know a bunch of them would be turned down by people who simply view UB as a 'safety school', which seems to be the attitude for many NY residents for the whole SUNY system (why, idk, as the state schools in NY are some of the best out there). So, a lot of people who are waitlisted today will eventually be offered a seat. If you want to go to UB, don't write it off yet.

They will tell you what 1/3 of the waitlist you are in, if you call and ask Mr Rosso. I wouldn't necessarily suggest calling this early, since they just started making the list, but maybe call in Dec or Jan to see where you rank once about half the interviews are over. They interview until the last week in April or so, and keep open seats until the very end (I interviewed on the last day, so no worries if people reading this don't have an invite yet, it very well might be still coming).

The top 1/3 of the list is a pretty safe place to be, since they only waitlist about 200 people total out of the 550-600 they interview, not the numbers quoted above. Many people are rejected post interview, about a third or half or somewhere in between, so don't feel badly if you were rejected after the interview and are reading this. UB turns down many people with high stats, as they are looking for a certain personality type more than someone who will boost their stats.

In summary- many people will be waitlisted. Quite a few of them will eventually be accepted (the last couple years the whole top 1/3 offered a spot by the middle of June, and dipping into the middle 1/3 to varying degrees). They don't accept or look at updates or interest letters, so I wouldn't suggest wasting your time or adding to your anxiety with them. It stinks, but now all you can do is wait if you really want UB. The waitlist started to move in April last year, so it could definitely move before May again this cycle. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

ummmm scowdeva? i think i love you =) thanks for the info!

Looks like were almost identical applicants, weve both interviewed at the same exact schools except for albany med. Whend u interview at Downstate and Upstate? Also any idea when those two schools will let us know? if i get waitlisted at those two also, im not sure how im gonna last till april to find out if i get off the waitlist, its really gonna blow big time and kill my senior year.

Hey, I interviewed at Downstate 9/24 and haven't heard anything. I interview at Upstate 10/20. We'll see.... good luck to you!

i read somewhere that they accept a third of the interviewees and waitlist another half of the interviewees... which leaves just 17% who are actually rejected...

I got waitlisted as well, interviewed 10/29, wait list 10/30. Now that it's after 10/15, they make their decisions the day after. I talked to someone who goes to U Buffalo undergrad and they said they accept only 135 students, which is the number of students that matriculate. Many of those accepted will probably end up going to somewhere else and many of those waitlisted also decline eventually, so that's why they have so many people on a waitlist.

Does anyone know from past or current year what scores they got at the interview and whether they were accepted eventually?

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a list like last year's waitlist thread. We can rearrange it once we find out which 'third' we're in

jzyu - I: 8/20 WL: 10/14
glitterslippers - I: 8/20 WL: 10/14
Nikhil72 - I: 8/27 WL: 10/14
Darkknight1087 - I: 9/2 WL: 10/14
Jss1545 - I: 9/3 WL: 10/14
funkydrmonkey - I: 9/24 WL: 10/14
Supergirl87 - I: 9/? WL: 10/14
poohbear00 - I: 10/29 WL: 10/30

Please list by WL date, then Interview date

jzyu - I: 8/20 WL: 10/14
glitterslippers - I: 8/20 WL: 10/14
Nikhil72 - I: 8/27 WL: 10/14
Darkknight1087 - I: 9/2 WL: 10/14
Jss1545 - I: 9/3 WL: 10/14
funkydrmonkey - I: 9/24 WL: 10/14
Supergirl87 - I: 9/? WL: 10/14
poohbear00 - I: 10/29 WL: 10/30
accept08 - I: 11/19 WL: 11/20

I have been trying to find this thread for a couple weeks, but it never came up in any of my searches. Now that it is later in the game (no one has posted on this since mid-October) I was going to try to start a similar list to what they had last year so people could start to see wait list movement. Add yourself if you like and hopefully we can build a pretty accurate list.

jkurtz02 ----- upper 1/3 (3/13)

Legend:
Red = bottom 1/3
blue = middle 1/3
orange = went from bottom 1/3 to middle 1/3
lime = upper 1/3
magenta = went from middle 1/3 to upper 1/3
purple = Accepted off the waitlist