***Official: Can you answer these questions about your dental school?***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a DS1 so there may be other ideas out there.

1) Name of Your Dental School
Oregon Health Sciences University

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Midterms and a finals week for each quarter - they have a gross anatomy pre-term for incoming DS1's that starts in August.

3) What is the hardest class? Why?
Integrative Biosciences - they just created the course and merged all the biochem, physiology, neuro, etc. into one giant class that meets almost everyday. It will probably be a good class in a few years and they take feedback well.

4) What is the easiest class? Why?
Dont think there are any easy - maybe some of the 1 credit first year classes.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
No gunners, everyone helps each other out and shares info that they have.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
a little of both, some only use textbooks, some only use powerpoints, and some use a text to support the powerpoints.

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?
Not right now, maybe in the future for some basic science stuff.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
Letter grades - 4.0 scale

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
dont know

10) Is class attendance mandatory?
Some are - you want to go to the more clinical classes but some of the science classes are skipped and they study on their own.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
Almost all the teachers have been very approachable, they like to speak with the students and share their perspectives even if they give sarcastic answers or give you a hard time. I havent had any problems and they are clear about what they want from students.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
Yeah, they get you down into clinic your first year and they have a "group-practice model" that lets DS1's work with upperclassmen on procedures they are doing. They just started it so I am sure they will continue to change some things but it is nice to get down there so early.

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?
Dont know details, but I know that pretty much everyone passes and they teach really well for the boards.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?
2nd year

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
Havent done it yet, but I know that most study over the summer after their 2nd year and take it sometime after that.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
We have a student learning center on the top floor with computers, quiet rooms, etc. that a lot of people study in. But some go to the main library to study or just go home, just depends on what you like.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
Sounds like it, never heard any complaints from upperclassmen.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
No, there are a lot of chairs - DS1's can even go down there and find an open if they are doing lab work that requires a dentist supervision (impressions, etc.)

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
Dont know exact details, but nothing out of the ordinary.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
Yes, they have opportunities off site and the Russell Street dental clinic to treat low-income/uninsured patients. They DS4's that go there seem to really like it.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
Yes, and they just brought in a great dentist that is really trying to expand the program but he has already approached us about making something available for anyone interested.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
Dont know much about that at this point.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
Scrubs in any clinic or pre-clinic areas for all students. If you are just in a lecture hall, some students will just wear street clothes and change later in the day when they need to.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Would someone in there 3rd or 4th year at Colorado post about your school. I am curious about the clinic questions. Thanks.

can anyone from STONY BROOK dental school respond to this thread, pretty please???

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have this info for Howard Univ???? Pweez!!!:D:D:D

Came from a different thread, posted by doncorleone:

1) Name of Your Dental School:
colorado

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?:
tests all the time

3) What is the hardest class? Why?:
microbiology, it's so boring

4) What is the easiest class? Why?:
there were lots

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?:
my class, not so many gunners. but in the year behind me, yes

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?:
mainly powerpoints, but they like you to read

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?:
i think when i took physiology, we were with some other students, not sure if they were medical. we had to do an ethics class with everybody. that was some funny stuff.

8) What is the grading system?:
letter grades

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?:
no

10) Is class attendance mandatory?:
no

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions?:
yes

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program?:
yes

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?:
?

14) When do you take the NDBE?:
after first year

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study?:
i don't remember

16) Do most people study in the University Library?:
we have moved campuses so there are places for people to study now, back when i studied, there really wasn't anywhere but the library.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements?:
yes and no

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in?:
chairs aren't the problem, having enough faculty can be sometimes

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate?:
attainable, nothing too extreme

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations?:
we do rotations the second semester of fourth year for 12 weeks.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries?:
yes, but not affiliated with the school

22) Is there sufficient preparation for practice management?:
somewhat

23) What is the dress code at your school?:
scrubs, they say no jeans, but everybody in my class wears jeans when not in clinic, i guess there is one perk to being a senior

can anyone from STONY BROOK dental school respond to this thread, pretty please???

From page 1, 'fightingspirit' posted this. My comments in bold. I'm a first year.

1)Name of Your Dental School
stony brook
2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
block. First year is more like block schedule. In the fall you have biochem and anatomy which are the two big courses. You have a few anatomy midterms and one biochem midterm. You have one final each in December. In the spring you take only neuro with one final. Then only physio with one final. Then path with a final. Dental courses are thrown in the mix all year with lots of quizzes and a few exams. Second year from what I've heard seems to be lots of tests and usually at least one every week or two. But I won't know first-hand until next year.
biochem and path. Biochem was really tough because there is a LOT to know. I haven't gotten to path yet. Neuro also had a lot of info but the test was pretty simple.
none. Maybe radiology. In year one, you take 13 classes, so the volume makes the easiest class appear hard. There's some other class called health care systems which I really can't count as a class. You just go and talk about health care and dentistry and there are no tests, quizzes, or assignments. I haven't yet gotten to radiology. If I don't count that class I just mentioned, then I'd say neuro has been the easiest science class.
5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
not answering this one…but for the most part, we help out each other. At first we seemed to have one or two but now everyone is chill and I don't really see anyone trying to sabotage anyone else. Enough people really try to do well though.
6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
textbooks+powerpoints+noteserive transcripts. Don't get the textbook for anything but anatomy (so far). And try to get it from your big sib. We'll all tell you what you need a text for. Most tests are based off of ppt slides. And the classes with the med students have transcripts for a small fee. They are absolutely worth it. I study from those and the slides.
all the classes are taken with med students in year one except oral bio, perio, radiology, dental anatomy and operative technique. Pharmacology and micro in year 2 is also at the med-school.
letter grades.
yes
mandatory yes; enforced? Not always. You have to be at anatomy lab but if you skipped lecture you wouldn't get in trouble for that. Biochem has 'clicker questions' after each lecture as an attendance check - worth 6% of your grade. Neuro is optional (in the sense that if you don't go no one will know), so are many physio lectures. You need to be at all the dental courses.
11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
very approachable.
12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
yes
none of the 3 years failed and the class average was around 90.
before year 3.
15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
you get 2 weeks.
16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
dental students study everywhere, mostly in the library of the med school and the learning center at the dental school.
17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
too many patients. In fact, every year, the 4th years stick around longer than they should because even though they are done with requirements, their patients have appointments with them.
18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
every student gets a chair.
19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
I have to get back to you on this one. Hey license! Can you answer this one?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
not sure what you mean. Hey License! take this one!
21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
Stony brook has a mobile clinic that goes to south Dakota and has a team that goes every year to Madagascar. Called the Ankizy Fund http://www.ankizy.org/ Our gross anatomy professor (who is the most awesome person ever by the way) runs the show there. It wasn't originally set up to do dental work there but now we incorporate that into the trip. Once a year.
22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
no clue
2nd year and up - scrubs. End of first year actually is when you officially get your class color / scrubs. You decide as a class what color you will get. Otherwise first year is whatever you want. You have lab coats for preclinic courses and scrubs for anatomy lab.

Hope that helps. Remember that all the non-bold text was fightingspirit's original post.

) Name of Your Dental School
University of Manitoba

Quizes and Tests throughout, with midterm and finals in last 2 weeks of each term

3) What is the hardest class? Why? Depends on the year and your background education. For year 1 Head and Neck (Anatomy) because so much information to know. For year 2 Oral Path. and Ortho, profs makes you memorize word for word for the test. Year 3 Pharmacology Year 4 is GP clinic (used to be IDCS, but they are making big changes to that dumb course).

4) What is the easiest class? Why? Year1 Radiology and Intro to Dent. Tests are very straight forward. Pedo, both clinic and theory is straight-forward in all years.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? Pretty cooperative. We help each other out, but some years are more cooperative than others.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Usually handouts with references to the text for more info.

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones? None, thank goodness. Everything is geared towards future dentists.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Most classes are letter grades,a couple P/F courses.

Classmates, that's it. We sometimes post notes to help each other out if fast lecture.

10) Is class attendance mandatory? Yes, but enforcement depends on prof. (some profs don't really care, some profs do).

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Yes they're available during office hours.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you? Yes. Most people questioned its value though.

I think about 95%.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? In Canada it's in year 4.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? No, but if you plan well you can study during reading week and on external rotations.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Majority clears out, but if big exam many will go to library.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? It's challenging for some disciplines but not impossible.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? It's tight sometimes, especially for 3rd years. In 4th year the external rotations makes it so there are always enough chairs.

9 crowns, 2 bridges, 5 units of removable, 5 new perio patients, 5 recall perio patients, 50 amalgam, 50 composite. It's pretty heavy, especially crown and bridge.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? Yes, inner city, clinic at a elementary school, and clinic at old folks home. They allow for you to make arrangements out of the country if you want.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long? Inner city

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? Paired up with mentors in the community.
-There is a practice management class, however most of it focuses on budgetting and accounting.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? clinic tunic with scrub pants in lab and clinic, casual ok in lectures.

Last edited:
up good tread:)

Will anyone from UT being willing to discuss the day to day aspects of the school. :)

IU anyone? Please.

Would someone please write about Indiana University? :oops:

This is not a good time perhaps....everyone is busy with the finals :scared:

Reactions: 1 user
Just thought I'd put my two cents in as an upperclassman:

OSU
I just finished up my first quarter here, so I don't know everything but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as happy anywhere else!

The Ohio State University

Depends on the class ... usually multiple midterms and a final exam for each didactic class (most not comprehensive) ... finals week at the end of each quarter...seven or so exams over three days. Four to five quizzes with some classes usually dropping the lowest one, practical exams for the lab courses.

Only a first year but neuroanatomy wasn't fun. I hear gross anatomy and pharmacology and rough.

This quarter we had Practice admin., and dental ethics and behaviors which were mostly common sense but some of it was pretty interesting. we also had the chance to go to an elementary school to give oral screenings to 2-5 year olds which was really incredible and the kids were great!

There are a handful of "gunners" I guess, but even they tend to be helpful. It really is like a big family here. 105 students and we all get along great and everyone honestly helps everyone, especially the upperclassmen which I did not expect (I mean they really look out for us underclassmen and help whenever they can)

You really don't "need" any of the books here. Most classes are powerpoints and the tests are pretty much off of that info alone.

None

Letter grades. No pass fail that I know about and no plusses or minuses.

not really but you can get a lot of old notes from your big brother/big sister. and we also have a class website with years of old exams and quizzes from all of the classes as well as helpful guides and a few notes.

Yes, but besides in labs no one really checks. I didn't attend the biochem. lecture the last three weeks of the quarter b/c it is all in the notes.

Just about every professor here is great and they all have a pretty good sense of humor which makes things a lot more relaxed. There is nothing close to a "kill or be killed" atmosphere here. If you want to do well you have every advantage to do so.

Yes, and they are great with the exception of a handful. Mine is super helpful.

All I know is that everyone passed there first time last year.

Summer after second year.

I think we get a couple of weeks off before, and we take a board prep class the quarter prior.

Both.

Everyone I have met seems to be finding there share of patients. no less or more then most other schools. Not always the case. In fact many students have had to pay for patient's dental work out of their own pocket in order to get the graduation requirements done! As if the tuition wasn't expensive enough.

We have two floors with more than enough chairs on each. We have plenty of chairs but not enough instructors, so getting patients scheduled is not always an easy task. It is our responsibility to call and schedule every appointment.

Whatever they are everyone gets through them and graduates when there supposed to. See #17. Major requirements: 15 fixed units, 3 RPDs, 4 arches of complete dentures, 100 fillings, 5 canals of endo. Sad part is that if you don't get the requirements done in time, you can't get your diploma until August because of the University's red tape, which means you can't start legally working until August.

Yes, in fourth year we spend a few months working in an offsite dental practice of our choosing (private practice or hospital) located all across Ohio. We are sent to clinics throughout Ohio for a total of 50 days, equivalent to about 1 quarter. Not our choice where we go, plus we have to pay for hotels/transportation ourselves. Should I also mention that you are paying the dental school for that quarter while providing free dental care at an offsite clinic?

Not sure. Most of the places from #20 are underserved areas. You can go on externships, but it must be planned and financed by the student.

The practice manage. class we just finished was very interesting and helpful I just wish we took it fourth year. I think we take a handful of others before we graduate though so we should be fine.

Scrubs are the best part aren't they? You can wear them starting day 1 if you want to. We started actually needing them second week I think. Just about anything goes within reason. any color and any combo. Being Ohio State most of us wear all scarlet or all grey. Sometimes I'll wear black bottoms with a scarlet top. all black is pretty cool too.

Hope this helped. I know last year at this time I kept hoping someone would talk about Ohio State on here. Its pretty great that now I'm the first. If your considering Ohio State or even not...the more you learn about this school the better it gets.

I hate to point out the negative sides of dental school, but I have to tell it like it is. You will graduate from OSU feeling competent in dentistry, but the experience is not altogether a positive one. Let's put it this way: alumni donations are very low.

Updated, from a graduating senior:

UOP

BLOCK SCHEDULE WITH QUIZZES THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

ENDO. BECAUSE THE DEPARTMENT THRILLS OF BEING THE BEST BECAUSE YOURE ALLOWED TO DO ENDO 5TH QUARTER(2ND YEAR)

BASIC DISEASES. BECAUSE YOU MEMORIZE A BUNCH OF SLIDES WITH DESCRIPTIONI'd go for ethics, or the patient management classes - just a few principles pounded into our heads over and over again. Very laid back prof.

EVERYONE HELPS EVERYONE. WE HAVE GUNNERS, BUT THEY HELP OUT THE MOST(EXAM REVIEW,MOCK EXAMS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED) Agree.

TEXTBOOK? J/K MOSTLY POWERPOINT, I LOOK AT PWRPTOINTS AND NOTES TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS YEARS STUDENTS. VERY HELPFUL AS THEY ARE WORD FOR WORD INCLUDING DIAGRAMS!!

NOPE.

LETTER

IF YOU INCLUDE PAST YEAR NOTETAKERS AND GUNNERS WHO SEND THE NOTES OUT TO THE CLASS, YES.

IN SOME CLASSES, NOT ALL. Technically mandatory for all 1Y classes, although attendance rates for some classes are atrocious. 2Y-3Y we have some classes that are definitely mandatory, and the profs even take attendance.

VERY APPROACHABLE. VERY HELPFUL

YES WE HAVE A BIG BRO/SISTER WHO HELP YOU OUT THROUGHOUT YOUR TIME HERE, THEY ALSO GIVE YOU PATIENTS!!!!

LIKE 99%. DONT KNOW THE SCORES, JUST EVERYONE PASSES

2ND YEAR IN WINTER QUARTER ALTHOUGH YOU CAN TAKE THEM WHENEVER YOU FEEL READY. THE SCHOOL OFFERS MOCK EXAMS TO SEE IF YOUR READY AS WELL AS OTHER HELFUL MATERIALS. WE AS A CLASS BOUGHT ABOUT 100 SETS OF DENTAL DECKS AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE.

NO. WE JUST STUDY WHENEVER WE HAVE TIME. A bit of clarification on this. 2Ys at Pacific spend 50% of their time in clinic, with the other 50% scheduled as class time. However, the class time is, in reality, a bunch of bi-weekly or tri-weekly small seminar groups. Additionally, most 2Ys have a light patient load initially, and won't be able to fill up their appointment slots. So in reality, you'll have quite a few large blocks of unscheduled free time (~4 hrs or so) in your schedules 2Y. Some take advantage of this and use this time to prepare for boards. Others cram 1-3 months before taking part 1.

THERES SO MANY PLACES TO STUDY IN SF ITS REDICULOUS. THERES COFFEE SHOPS IN EVERY CORNER. YES WE DO HAVE A VERY NICE QUITE LIBRARY AS WELL AS IN SCHOOL WITH NICE VIEWS OF THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. I ALSO GO STUDY AT UCSF AS WELL.

PLENTY. Okay, reality check time. Because the way the system is set up, your own patient pool and patient experience will be very random. You could be bursting at the seams with fixed units and have zero dentures, or be overloaded with denture patients and have no fixed units. The trick is to always talk to your group practice administrator and keep them constantly posted on what you do and do not have, so they can assign appropriate patients to fill in the gaps. Case in point: myself. I started off with 9 denture patients 2Y, and am graduating with 5 or 6. I did all my endos early, but only hit double digits in January 2008 for crowns, after a long dry spell - literally, a desert for fixed prosth for me. Compare this to some people who were in their 20s already at the same time this year. But because I kept in touch with my GPA and asked my fellow students for help, I was able to get more crown and bridge patients, and will most likely graduate with 17-19 units. Just don't be complacent, because you're responsible for being proactive in plugging in the gaps. Patient deficits don't resolve themselves, you have to work with your group practice leaders to create the right mix of patients. On the plus side, most people graduate. Maybe 3-4 people get extended for 1-3 months to finish up more work each year, but that's about it.

NO. PRETTY SIMPLE
We book appointments through the web, and so long as there are still open chairs at the time of booking, your patient will have that chair reserved for them for that appointment. Each department (endo, restorative, etc) has a fixed number of chairs allocated per day, and a waitlist that runs ~5-10 patients deep. In 3Y, you'll get a feel for how likely it will be to get off the waitlist and into an actual chair. Usually you'll know within 30 minutes of the clinic session (3+ hrs).

Second year students may have difficulty bringing in patients for night clinic since 3Ys get priority, and 2Ys have to sign up on a list. Many 3Ys advise 2Ys to not even bother with night clinics, although I would disagree: just be very selective with what you're going to do, and make sure you schedule patients who will be OK with last-minute changes.

Re: number of chairs, depends on what you're judging by. We don't have our own chairs, we all share the clinic. We could always use more chairs.

The unintended consequence of all this is that you start to get pretty good at advanced planning and time management, and start to get a handle on patient management issues.

NOT SURE BUT WE HAVE A MINIMUM REQ.We don't have "minimum requirements" ... we have "competencies" ... which means the graduation committee and all the department chairs look at how many test cases you've done, how much you've produced and then they throw darts at a wall to see if you can leave. The most important factor is whether you've passed all your test cases.

Usually, the average graduating student ends up having:
  • 150+ operative surfaces
  • 15+ crowns
  • 6-8 endos (not canals), of which you need at least one each of anterior, bicuspid, and molar endo. Most people end up doing 2+ molars.
  • ~45 quadrants of S/RP
  • 5-6 denture patient experiences with final prostheses delivered, of which 2 need to be partial dentures
  • 1+ implant-supported denture
  • 1 nightguard

This doesn't count our required off-site rotations, or on-site rotations through Ortho, OS or Pedo, etc.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? YES, WE HAVE SATELLITE CLINICS AT DIFFERENT CITIES TO INCLUDE ORAL SURGERY ROTATION AT HIGHLAND HOSPITAL
Different community clinics within the city and outside of it. Some are operative heavy, others are mostly exams and denture work. Highland Hospital in Oakland is all oral surgery - we have an OS residency program based there.

YES, WE HAVE ABOUT 4 DIFFERENT ONES.As far as I know, aside from the ortho residents doing research in South America every year, the outreach trips involving dental students travelling outside the US are student organized, and may or may not have the official thumbs up from the university. One year I went on an overseas dental mission where we received no support from the administration, but for which they were more than happy to report to others for PR purposes. Yeah, I'm still pissed about that.

Our main community service group, SCOPE, organizes trips to local schools for dental education, and also brings volunteers to work in community clinics on the weekends in Half Moon Bay. Various places have arrangements with the school where we get credited for work performed at off-site locations.

WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL TEAM COME AND GIVE US COURSES OUR THIRD YEAR ON HOW TO SUCCESFULLY RUN A PRACTICE.
Our practice management class is pretty good. It's run by the folks at PRIDE institute, and gives us pretty good guidance on practice basics such as: when to hire hygienists, how many ops do you need, how you write a business proposal, how to evaluate associateships offered to recent grads, etc. I'm under no illusions that this is ALL that we'll need in all our years of practice, but they certainly give you much of the info you need to be smart about transitioning into the real world so you don't get royally screwed once you're out there.

LONG SHIRT/TIE. VERY WELL DRESSED. ALL YEARS.
IN CLINIC YOU WEAR A SMOCK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx for the great thread!

Could someone Please post from MUSC

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School: University of Mississippi Medical Center

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? Each class has its own schedule. Mostly every few weeks.

3) What is the hardest class? Why? Gross. Just the time and effort it takes.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? For the most part we try to help each other out.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Powerpoints

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones? NO

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Percentages out of 100

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? NO

10) Is class attendance mandatory? Yes. You must make at least 80% of the scheduled classes or you fail

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Most are approachable, a few can be busy

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you? We have teams. Each team has at least 1 D4, 1 D3, 1 D2, and 1 D1.

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score? Not quite sure

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? Part 1: 2nd year, part 2 4th year

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? We got 1 week prior to part 1 boards

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Some study in the library, some at home. About 50/50 split

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? It is getting more difficult by the day to get patients that have stuff we need and can pay to get it done

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? For the most part it's good. Some clinics book up during certain times of the years. Admissions is busy during the summer, while prost. clinics fill up towards the end of the year

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? 75 filling (divided among amalgams, composites/ class I, II, III, etc), 11 arch of dentures (3 must be RPD (we do the lab work for these), 27 crowns including 3 bridges (2 posteiror, 1 anterior), 9 root canals, 7 full cases of perio from start to finish, 3 perio surgeries, among other things

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? We do a week at a public health center and 1 week in private practive practicuum

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long? Several mission trips to mexico each year and we are required to do a Community HEalth PRoject each year.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? There is a course we have to take. Have not had it yet so not sure if it helps.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? 3rd and 4th years wear scrubs. No particular color is required

Could an upperclassman from UDM please post......pleeeezzzzeeee

Louisville baby! :horns:

Usually 1 or 2 per week, sometimes more.

Dental anatomy during the first year because the professor is a pretty harsh grader.

I've heard that correlated science is a piece of cake.

We've got a great class. People email bunch of study guides to the entire class all the time. I remember receiving different study guides from 3 people in a day - sometimes even just those additional material can seem overwhelming.

A little bit of both.

Nada.

Letter grades.

Nope. But people email study guides around all the time.

Nope.

Professors here are awesome.

Yes. My big gave me all his old books, which was uber nice.

I've only just started, so I have no idea.

Second year summer.

I believe we do get some time off to study boards.

Library and dental student lounges are where most people go to.

We have more than enough patients.

Yes.

I heard it's more on the difficult side.

Yes, but again, since I am only a first year I have no idea.

Not sure about this one.

What?

Scrubs or business attire.

Does anyone have this info for Howard Univ???? Pweez!!!:D:D:D
Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School - Howard University

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? First year all examinations fall on Mondays. There are no classes on Mondays. So for example, school starts the 25th of August, the first exam might be the 3rd Monday in September for Anatomy, the following Monday Biochem, the following, Occlusion, the following Anatomy and the cycle continues. Very rarely do you have a Monday off. 2nd-4th years are midterms and finals week throughout the semester, except for the science courses which may have exams every 3 weeks.

3) What is the hardest class? Why? Pharmacology. A lot of information to be covered in a short amount of time.

4) What is the easiest class? Why? There really is no easiest class but by 3rd year it feels easier because you are more familiar with the process and managing your time.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? Our class has been very fortunate where, for the most part, everyone helps each other out. However, this isn't the case for all classes.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Powerpoints for the most part but majority of the time the powerpoints are based on the textbook.

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones? No, but the science courses tend to be taught by professors who also teach the science courses for the medical students.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Letter grades.

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? No, but that is something that the class can set up on their own if they desired

10) Is class attendance mandatory? For some classes yes, it is highly stressed. However, the school policy recommends that you are not absent from any of your courses and if you are planning to be absent, it is highly recommended that you let the assistant dean's office know.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Most professors can be approachable.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you? Yes, there is a "Campus Pal" program where you are matched up with an upperclassman

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score? Not sure, since the boards changed this year it was a bit lower than the year before.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? Summer between 2nd and 3rd year

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? No. The class of 09 had a week to study during the summer, the class of 10 did not. The course load that summer was not extremely hectic so there is time to study simultaneously with classes.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Many study in the Library mostly first and 2nd years, many study in the medical school. Depends on each individual's study style.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? You recruit your own patients for the most part.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? There are enough chairs to see patients once a week maybe twice. It becames difficult after that.

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? 9 crowns, 3 perio cases, 3 root canals to include a molar, 4 complete denture units, one cast partial, one resin partial. It is attainable if you start working early on in your 3rd year. Requirements may change year by year.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? No.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long? Currently not.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Scrubs for 2nd through 4th years. 1st year is regular attire (jeans and t-shirt is sufficient).

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Great thread! Its a wonder the things you can find at 3 in the morning, lol:D

Columbia College of Dental Medicine

1st year--block schedule
2nd year--nonblock, so there are tests all the time (there's always some class having a test that week)
3rd year--clinic! virtually no tests

anatomy for me--personally, I hate memorizing things

Dental classes--a lot of the classes are so much more visual/common sense based.

Nope, we really are a family: it's us versus the other dental schools/standardized tests/etc. It varies from year to year though, one of the previous years hated each other (their class as a whole had really bad chemistry).

classnotes are based on lectures, which are mainly powerpoints. I doubt our professors even read the textbooks sometimes :laugh:

First two years are conjoined with the meds...all the basic classes (aside from dental lab and dental classes like orthodontics) are taken with med students: anatomy, basic science, physiology, pathology, bugs and drugs.

P/F/H...the breakdown varies by class (some classes 30% of the class gets H, others only top 10 or so)

no, but between the med students and dental students, we all share notes and it's pretty much the same (yes, there are some people who are THAT smart and ahead of the game that they share their notes without worrying it'll harm them)

most classes, no. Depends on the instructor. The larger classes (esp the ones with the med students) attendance was never taken, but for some of the smaller dental classes attendance was (though for some of them, they never counted towards the grade either...)

most of them are adorable and very approachable

yes, as a freshman you get a big sib who passes notes/books/advice down

almost everyone passes. The average score (before the new version) was 89-90 (varied slightly from year to year)

summer after 2nd year

Yup the school gives you time, but it depends on your rotation. You get anywhere from 4 weeks to 12 weeks.

Medical campus library, undergrad library, random computer labs... it's a hopping place right before exams, you see EVERYONE there :laugh:.

I (knock on wood) haven't had a problem yet. Half of it is just showing up--a lot of people go home if their patients don't show up, but stick around and you'll get new emergency patients to work on! Don't be lazy, work hard, and you'll be fine.

We have an alternate list set up for extra chairs. There are problems with one or two individuals stealing chairs (there's always one ass in every class) but most ppl respect it. It would be nice to have more chairs though.

It's divided by complex (dentures, certain number of crowns, implants) vs. simple (fillings, etc) points. If you're short in a certain dept all you have to do is talk to triage and they will assign you more new patients (either simple or complex, depending on what you ask for).

Yup. Where ever you want to go, just talk to the program director in charge of externships at Columbia. People have gone all over NYC, the US, and even places like Tanzania and Jamaica.

Jamaica/Tanzania/etc. Most externships are for 1-2 weeks

That is something that can ALWAYS be improved upon

First 2 years--wear whatever you want. Towards the end of year2 people were getting lazy and even wearing sweatpants. Last 2years--wear whatever you want, but most people opt for scrubs (easy to change, clinic is germy so you don't want to be wearing your nice clothes). Some of the girls will even wear skirts and high heels...I say screw it scrubs are the way to go for clinic

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This thread is awesome!! Keep it going :D Thanks to all who submitted.

:thumbup: Excellent thread. It's very helpful for us pre-dents please keep it going.

anyone from Minnesota willing to share? please :)

To the Top: UConn anyone??

note: This is not a discussion thread, this thread is aimed to be a reference thread. If you have questions for a particular poster, then please direct your question directly to that person via pm or start another thread of your own.

please refrain from discussions, questions, and comments in this thread. Thank you!

however, please feel free to comment on any opinions you may have within the context of the standard format below. Please elaborate and be specific as much as possible. This thread will only be as good as those who are willing to contribute to it.

If your school does not have a hyperlink below, you are needed to answer the following questions!

standard format:

1) name of your dental school

wvu school of dentistry

2) what is your examination schedule like? Block schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

1st year was tests all the time
2nd year was even more tests
3rd year on midterms and finals
4th year, no examinations at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) what is the hardest class? Why?

Biochemistry
because its worthless. Meaninless to the practice of dentistry. It required tons of studying which is smart since it caused us to cram for our much needed dental courses.

4) what is the easiest class? Why?

Oral path. Otq's!!!

5) are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

Lucky enough we have a great class. But we have been told this is rare, the other classes go at each other quite alot.

6) are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? Or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

Powerpoints. Do not buy textbooks even when teachers say too. Its a money thing and you will not read them...no time to.

7) are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

None with med students, just pharmacy students
8) what is the grading system? Pass/fail/honors? Letter grades? Percentages?
Letter grades

9) is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
No

10) is class attendance mandatory?
Yes

11) in general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
They are approachable but theres a 70% chance you will get a smartass answer
12) is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
Yes but it absolutely does not work. The bigger brothers have so much to do that they can only worry about themselves!

13) what is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?
90% 80

14) when do you take the ndbe? 1st year or second year?
August of second yr

15) do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

We got two weeks off

16) do most people study in the university library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

Study on their own at their pace!

17) are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

Have to bring in our families, some families drive 3 hours 1 way.

18) is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
We do not have enough chairs

19) what are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
15 crowns, tons of fillings. Its reasonable but 1 year 21/50 seniors did not graduate

20) are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
Just pre planned rural rotations for 1 month

21) are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
Guatemala for 1 week

22) is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
No career placement at all here. Your on your own man.

23) what is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
Blue scrubs for 4 years

please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

We have an interim dean thats very unapproachable and thats a shame because shes no better than anyone else in that school.

here is the index of this forum:

dental schools in the united states:

al: University of alabama school of dentistry at uab
az: A.t. Still university of health sciences arizona school of dentistry and oral health
az: Midwestern university school of dental medicine
ca: Loma linda university school of dentistry
ca: University of california at los angeles school of dentistry
ca: University of southern california school of dentistry
ca: University of california at san francisco school of dentistry (post #1)
ca: University of california at san francisco school of dentistry (post #2)
ca: University of california at san francisco school of dentistry (post #3)
ca: University of the pacific arthur a. Dugoni school of dentistry (post #1)
ca: University of the pacific arthur a. Dugoni school of dentistry (post #2)
co: University of colorado at denver and health sciences center
ct: University of connecticut school of dental medicine
dc: Howard university college of dentistry
fl: Nova southeastern university college of dental medicine
fl: University of florida college of dentistry (post #1)
fl: University of florida college of dentistry (post #2)
ga: Medical college of georgia school of dentistry
ia: University of iowa college of dentistry
il: Southern illinois university school of dental medicine
il: University of illinois at chicago college of dentistry
in: Indiana university school of dentistry
ky: University of kentucky college of dentistry
ky: University of louisville school of dentistry (post #1)
ky: University of louisville school of dentistry (post #2)
la: Louisiana state university school of dentistry
ma: Boston university goldman school of dental medicine
ma: Harvard university school of dental medicine
ma: Tufts university school of dental medicine
md: University of maryland baltimore college of dental surgery (post #1)
md: University of maryland baltimore college of dental surgery (post #2)
mi: University of michigan school of dentistry
mi: University of detroit mercy school of dentistry
mn: University of minnesota school of dentistry
mo: University of missouri-kansas city school of dentistry
ms: University of mississippi school of dentistry
nc: University of north carolina school of dentistry
ne: University of nebraska medical center college of dentistry
ne: Creighton university school of dentistry
nj: University of medicine & dentistry of new jersey new jersey dental school
nv: University of nevada, las vegas school of dental medicine
ny: State university of new york at buffalo school of dental medicine
ny: Columbia university college of dental medicine (post #1)
ny: Columbia university college of dental medicine (post #2)
ny: New york university college of dentistry
ny: State university of new york at stony brook school of dental medicine (post #1)
ny: State university of new york at stony brook school of dental medicine (post #2)
oh: Case western reserve university school of dental medicine
oh: Ohio state university college of dentistry (post #1)
oh: Ohio state university college of dentistry (post #2)
ok: University of oklahoma college of dentistry
or: Oregon health and science university school of dentistry
pa: Temple university school of dentistry
pa: University of pennsylvania school of dental medicine
pa: University of pittsburgh school of dental medicine
pr: University of puerto rico school of dentistry
sc: Medical university of south carolina college of dental medicine
tn: University of tennessee college of dentistry
tn: Meharry medical college school of dentistry
tx: Baylor college of dentistry component of texas a & m health science center
tx: University of texas hlth science cnt-houston dental branch
tx: University of texas hlth science cnt-san antonio dental school
va: Virginia commonwealth university school of dentistry
wa: University of washington-health sciences school of dentistry
wi: Marquette university school of dentistry (post #1)
wi: Marquette university school of dentistry (post #2)
wv: West virginia university school of dentistry

dental schools in canada:

dalhousie university
laval university
mcgill university
university of alberta
university of british columbia
university of manitoba
university of montreal
university of saskatchewan
university of toronto
university of western ontario

international dental schools:

university of the west indies school of dentistry, st. Augustine, trinidad and tobago
the faculty of dentistry at the university of sydney, australia

index updated through post #173
tyytytyyt

University of the Western Cape Dental School (South Africa)

We have 2 sets of examinations one at the end of each Semester.

Personally the hardest class was Human Biology because it was essentially three classes in one Histology, Anatomy and physiology. But everybody seemed to not enjoy dental materials

Personally it was Physics because we had a wonderfull lecturer and because I am a physics oriented individual

at the end of the day they aren't gunners but they also keep to themselves in essence only your clique will help you out. The nice thing though is you don't have to worry about being sabotaged.

They are based on lecture powerpoints

yes, Human biology,

Percentages and Letter grades

No

yes

yes

yes

about 80% and the average score is 50%

1st year

yes about a week

They use the library alot.

They are readily available

it has more than enough chairs

They are quite stringent hey they are not a joke.I forgot the numbers. but everybody finishes

Yes. Plain, Gugs, Groote schuur

Yeah In final year like alot of time is spent in Gugulethu which is a rural settlement.

I dont know as that is only done in 5th year (Final Year)

Long pants, Shirts (Tucked in) (Tie if its a long sleeved shirt or you are wearing a long sleeved clinical coat) Formal Shoes (no sneakers), White Clinical coat (Mandatory) or if you are doing lab work a lab coat.
For all the years from 1st to 5th

Send me a message if you have specific questions...

University of Minnesota School of Dentistry

Midterms are like undergrad - no separate week or anything, and finals are just the last week of the semester

Would depend on the person but either Gross Anatomy since its so intense or the lab portion of Oral Anatomy (waxing)

Again its subjective, but I'd say Biochem (you have to have it to get into MN so its review)

Everyone is really helpful, people send out helpful links by email all the time and everyone generally likes each other. A lot of people hang out outside of class.

They are based on lecture powerpoints most of the time.

I do not think there are any anymore.

Letter grades (A, B, C, F) most of the time. Pass/Fail on a few classes.

Not sure.

yes but for most of the lectures its not checked or anything

very approachable, though some more than others

yes, when you get in you can sign up for the mentor program - it can be pretty helpful

not sure. Never really heard of someone failing though.

2nd year

well its typical to take boards off either winter break of 2nd year or after 2nd year, both with a week or two off.

The library is used a lot but it really depends on each person

They are readily available for the most part. Sometimes people get a ton of RPD's while another gets a ton of operative so you have to seek out patients like that sometimes.

It has plenty of chairs. On rare occasions there will be some overbooking of chairs...

I don't remember every detail but you need to do more than 8 crowns I know, 6 in operative and 2 in Pros before competency. I think 3 denture units, and 2 removable denture units before competency...20 FMx, 3 or 4 endos, a bunch of scaling and root planing...all pretty manageable if you stay on top of things.

Yes, outreach is a requirement in your 4th year.

Also yes, both the 4th year req. as well as exchange opportunities abroad

Yes I think so, but you have to put your own work in finding a place too.

All years where scrubs that you buy (navy blue with the school's logo on pants and shirt).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine

Block schedule (systems)

So far the current section Head and Neck

Infection Control

Most people are very helpful and try to share insight to give equal advantages.

They are based on lecture powerpoints most of the time.

All of the basic sciences are taken with medical students for the first 2 years

Pass/Fail

No sir/maam.

Only labs and dental classes are. The medical lectures are not.

Teachers are generally approachable

yes, every student is assigned an older sib

not sure exactly, but definitely in the upper 90s

2nd year

Usually at the end of 2nd year you are given 2-4 weeks off to study for the boards

The library and MDL small classrooms

They are readily available.

There are enough patients to fulfill the requirements within the allotted time. We can borrow other classmates patients if they've already fulfilled their requirements, but have extra work that we need.

Not certain, but its competence based.

There are externship opportunities in the clinical years.

There are many trips available generally the 3rd years are most active.

There is a business course, but probably not to the level of being ready to manage a practice at graduation.

No dress code for lectures. Professional/clinical attire in the clinic and patient areas.

If possible, I would LOVE to hear more about Boston University (the other post is a tad old but still useful!).

Any input would be appreciated! :love:

Anyone from UW have a response?

can someone do another colorado one? the one on hear is not very detailed. Its hard finding info on colorado on sdn so any help would be greatly appreciated !!

University of Washington School of Dentistry

1st and 2nd years exams every week or two, plus lots of quizzes, and Midterm and Finals weeks. 2nd year finals week you can expect around 15 finals. 3rd year just midterms and finals with weekly quizzes in some classes, much easier academically. 4th year no midterms or finals.

Hardest Conceptually: Dental Materials, Pathology, Pharm
Hardest to get a 4.0: Dental Anatomy, Dental Materials, Occlusion, Neuroanatomy, Intro to Operative, Pharm, 1st quarter Ortho, Radiology, Endo, Stomatology, Orofacial Pain.
Largest time commitment: Path, Oral Path, 2nd year lab courses

There are a number of Credit/No Credit classes that take no effort

Everyone helps out, sure there are some students that are trying to specialize and therefore are more focused on grades but there is no unfair hoarding of old tests. I can't think of any tension between any of my classmates.

Almost all lectures are in powerpoint form and are available for download online or the professors will bring printed copies to class.

Yes, only two, first year, first quarter: Anatomy & Embryology and Histology

Grade Point scale, each class will award a grade point in 0.1 increments up to a 4.0. This can make it a bit interesting if you are trying to get high marks since every percentage point counts. Most classes the cut of for a 4.0 is 95% but there are also some were it is ridiculously high at 98.6%, in these classes the high grade is often around a 3.7 or 3.8.

No, but some students take notes and email them to the class

Technically Yes.

All Professors have office hours and are quite available from what I can see

Yes, big sibs

100% pass, I have no idea what the average would be with the new format, maybe 85?

2nd year, before we enter 3rd year clinic near the end of September

Right around the 4th of July, 2nd year, we have 1 week off for boards

I always go home except for Midterms and Finals weeks when I will study in the south campus center with my friends.

Patients are quite available, everyone is able to finish requirements on time. If anyone is lacking in requirements, they will find you patients with these needs.

All 3rd and 4th years have an assigned unit for Restorative and Perio, if we need to bring a patient in for Pros then we can sign up for an extra chair up to two weeks in advance (you will almost always get it.) We definitely have enough chairs, the only thing that limits it is the amount of instructors on the clinic floor.

There are no required numbers of restorative procedures, we just get "points" for everything we do and we need a certain amount of points to graduate. We also have competencies that need to be passed for the different procedures. For Endo we need to do 15 canals and For Pros we need 15 (i think) arches for graduation.

Yes, every student does off-site oral surgery rotations at Harbor View Hospital, and urgent care rotations at community clinics. There are also lots of volunteer opportunities off-site.

Yes, students can go to undeserved clinics throughout the North West for up to a few months during their 1st and 2nd summers. Many students went to Alaska.

I am a 3rd year so I haven't had much of this yet, but I know there area practice management classes during 4th year. I also know that generally 99% of graduating seniors have somewhere to go when they graduate (AEGD, GPR, Specialty, General Practice, etc)
There is no dress code outside of clinic, but in clinic you need to wear either scrubs or dress clothes, no jean or open toed shoes, etc.

Hello Mach band, could you tell me or anyone else which textbooks did you use for your freshman year to be ready for nbde part 1?
thank you,

UCSF

First year: test or tests every week or two. Lots of lab work. One final week. Two half days off a week. About 3 months summer time
Second year: Still a hand full of tests for BioMed Sciene series; less written tests on dentistry. Amount of lab work is about the same or less. Much less test and lab work in second quarter and third to allow student more time for Part I

IMO, Microbiology. Too much memorization. But if you know what's on the presentation you should be fine.

IMO, all classes have certain level of expectation from the students. It's really up to the students to make it easy or not. I don't think there is an easy class.

Maybe there are, but not noticeable to me

Powerpoints and text books used as references

No

Pass/Fail/Leter of Commendation

It's there, but no student has been interested to apply for the job. If you fall behind, you can ask for a free tutor.

Supposed to, but people do skip classes. If you skip preclinical lab, you're supposely required to write an essay about the topic covered that day.

They do research, but approachable

You have a big sib when you come in. When you becomes D2, you have two more sibs (links), a D3 and a D4. These are the ones that will work with you in clinic and transfer patients to you when they graduate.

Based on the latest news: 100%; ranked 5th nationwide

Most take in second year. A significant number of students took it after the first year during the summer.

Summer after first year or two weeks between quarters

Many D1s studied in the lib. I don't see many D2+. Lib and lab are open 'til 12:00AM

Don't know yet

Don't know yet

Don't know yet

Three week externship for D3 and 6 more weeks for D4

There are elective courses through out the years during lunch or after 5:00PM

Outside clinics: anything you feel like.
Clinics: most wear scrubs; others wear khaki and shirt
D2 starts seeing patients in last quarter of second year. Some D1s wear scrubs. Most wear blue (student gown's color), some wear black, pink, green... A few wear green (professor's gown)!

I know we have 1 from NYU but I'd like another please :)

UIC - college of dentistry

Eh, we usually have several every week, but they seem to concentrate within a 2/3 week period. We'll have a few weeks that are pretty light, then get pounded for a few weeks. It fluctuates.

Right now biochem, because I decided to wait till 7pm the night before to study for the last test and now Ive got a little catching up to get the grade I want. Other than that I guess Head/Neck anatomy. I personally didnt think the class was too bad, but most of my friends/classmates didnt enjoy it so much. I wasnt a fan of microbio/immunology... unclear teachers + lots of useless memorization that I will never remember = :thumbdown:

The comprehensive care preclinical stuff is pretty easy, but kinda fun too. Physiology was pretty straightforward first semester, little harder second semester. Histology is also pretty straightforward with good teachers. Radiology is also pretty easy and the teacher is awesome.

There are some closet gunners out there, but I wouldnt go as far as to say people that are sabotoging anything. We did have some students who voted against changing a test because they wanted to skip school and party that day lol, but thats about it. Most are helpful, but there are definitely people who will get on your nerves sometimes.

Almost exclusively powerpoints. Its good in that what you need to know is a little more concise, but then again, I feel you learn more from reading a text book. For some classes either work, and some classes require a reading or two, but its mostly powerpoints.

Nope. We have some med school teachers that come teach us but all of our classes are exclusively us (occasionally we have a few stragglers taking some of our classes somehow, not really sure how it works). We share a cadaver lab with the med students in the med school, so we do interact a bit, but we have our own room with our own cadavers and instructors.

A-B-C-D... typically 90-80-70-60... Biochem 80% is an A (thank god). Microbio was actully curved to 85%=A. Almost all the tests are designed so that the normal distribution will take place. Its never curved so that only a certain percentage of people get an A or a B... you get what you get. A couple portions of the comprehensive care course are Pass/Fail, but it gets put under comp care which is a letter grade.

First semester some of the students split up transcribing the entire lectures. I found that useless... right now we have a classmate that records all the lectures and hosts them on a website for everyone to see. Our class is very helpful about sending out what they have in terms of notes they taken or study guides they make to the entire class.

In some of the classes yes, usually the comp care courses, but you dont really want to miss those anyway. You did come here to learn how to be a dentist right? The basic sciences not really, if you can show up to a test without going to a class and ace it then more power to you. Although I always felt it beneficial to attend if you can.

Sometimes in class they get a little ornery if you ask during the lecture... But outside of class they are always willing to help.

Ya we get paired with a D2... to be honest I didnt even see mine until second semester, but its always good to have someone to talk to or get books/materials from.

No idea... I think we have a pretty solid pass rate. Score wise not a clue.

Part I is taken the summer after D1 year.

We get 2 weeks off to study for boards after the summer semester after D1 year. During those 2 weeks your free to study but before and after that you have classes.

Usually a group of 5 or so random people will go to the library... some head to Rush's library a block down because it's nicer and is open 24 hrs. Lots of people clear out after class and study at home.

Not sure on this one, only a D1. I know there are no clinical requierments in terms of numbers per say... I think you take an assesment test when you feel ready. In general we dont have a problem finding patients, we are the only dental school in a big city. Im sure they see lots of interesting cases in the clinics. Again, better to ask a D3/D4.

Again not sure... I dont think its a big issue though, I havent heard anybody complain about that.

Like I said, no numbers per say. When you feel ready you take an assesment test, and if you pass it for that procedure I think you are good. Not sure on the details of it though.

It's mandatory and increasing in duration. During your D4 year you spend 6-9 weeks at an offsite clinic seeing usually 6+ patients a day as compared to the 2 you would see in the dental school. Again not sure on all the details, but that's when i know about it.

Well the school is located in an underserved area so we have plenty serving to do here. But there are programs I'm sure to go to other areas and countries.

No idea. From what ive heard from some of our recently graduated assistant clinical instructors, the people who teach you have a lot of connections and can refer you to other doctors looking to hire graduating dentists. Again, not really sure on this yet.

Scrubs or business casual for all years. 95% of the students wear scrubs.

University of Tennessee PLEASE :) :) :love:

Howard University College of Dentistry

First Year we have exams most Mondays.

First Semester I struggles with Anatomy for some strange reason. Second semester Dental Materials gave us a run for our money and every penny of it.

Personally it was Physics because we had a wonderfull Occlusion was pretty easy both Lab and Lecture

There has so far been no occasions of sabotage that I can remember. My class is however quite competitive and we go hard for everything. I would say its good competition.

They are based on lecture powerpoints but the ppts follow the books closely for the most part

No

Percentages and Letter grades

No

Officially - YES

Approachable

We call them Campus Pals

I dont know

Second Year

Yes

50/50 - Library Vs Home.

Based on what I have been hearing, it can be a problem at times

It is a hassle based on what I have been told if you are in 3rd year - 4th years tend to have it easier

I dont know this yet

Not that I know of

We do alot of outreach in the DC and Maryland area

I dont know as that is only done in 4th year (Final Year)

The Code of Conduct mandates that one is profession in first year.

In second year the class chooses a scrub colour and wear that daily.

Sim lab require a lab coat and Clinics require moisture resistant lab coats

On special occasions, we are require to were business attire

user_offline.gif

1/ school of dentistry , suez canal university
2/ block schedule
3/physics were the hardest ever and now oral pathology is very hard
4/i liked dental anatomy , principles of restorative dentistry ( operative , crowns , dentures , endodontics)
5/no
6/some lectures depend on references & textbooks while others depend on powepoint lectures , i prefer textbooks to lectures from powerpoint :sleep:
7/some classes taken in school of medicine specially head & neck anatomy , general medicine and so on :idea:
8/honors
9/sometimes
10/rarely it is mandatory but according to rules it will be mandatory all times
11/ most of them are reachable but sometimes they are not
12/no as i think
13/
14/
15/ time is hardly enough :(
16/it is rarely to study in library :D
17/ Unfortunately , we should search for patients , sometimes ' beg ' them to attend , it is the worst thing ever :mad::mad:
18/ not a hassle but you need to be early to get chair :smuggrin::smuggrin:
19/ 24 units for fixed prosthodontics :mad: , about 50 operative restorations , about 3 or 4 complete dentures ,4 partial dentures , over denture
They are hardly attainable but i think requirements should be re-considered specially in fixed restorations
20/ yes . in the last two years
21/ I do not think there are trips :luck:
22/ yes , in my opinion

Last edited:

UCSF

Midterms are spread out depending on the class, then a finals week.

I'm only in my first quarter but I guess the anatomy lab practical tests based on my test scores?

The lab part of PRDS is fun. Most of BMS is interesting if you get into it. least studying: Scientific Methods.

Very cooperative

I would say almost all lecture, books are just to supplement. I haven't really opened a textbook yet.

Not to my knowledge.

P/NP ftw

Maybe? I haven't used it? A lot of lectures are available through podcast... also there are a lot of shared resources, people share notes they take with the whole class.

Maybe technically, attendance is important in labs but people definitely miss lectures.

They seem busy but also seem to care. They offer review sessions and office hours. Probably depends on the class.

Yep we each get a big sib and also share a faculty mentor between a few students.

I am not thinking about boards yet but I hear it's good.

I am a first year so I don't know, from what I've heard some people take it at the beginning of second year and others wait and take it a little later.

Again, I don't know really, but I've been told that some people study over the summer after their first year and that other people study during second year when they purposely alleviate class pressure.

A lot of people study in the library or make study groups. I go there if I am on campus during the day because I live in Mission Bay.
(skipping some that are not applicable)

Yes but I am not there yet

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they

So far I know there are several at least for community outreach... for homeless people, for children... lots of stuff whatever you want.

In the first year and second year, it seems like people wear basically whatever they want to class within reason (jeans, sweatshirt, etc). For lab closed-toed shoes and covered legs. For clinic business casual or scrubs. I don't know about 3rd / 4th, I imagine business casual or scrubs when they are in the clinic. Lots of people just wear scrubs even when we don't HAVE to cause they are comfortable and easy and who wants cadaver juice on their clothes?

Anyways I like it and think that it is good so far.

does anyone have any more recent information on Creighton and UMKC? Specifically requirements. How many crowns?

New York University College of Dentistry

For finals, we have 6 finals this week and 3 finals next week.

None this semester

Anatomy, its applicable and very interesting

There are a few gunners but for the majority (95%) we all help each other out

Based on lecture and powerpoints and assigned readings. No textbooks, we use Vitalbook

No

A+, A, A-, B+, B, C, F. It varies with each class. There are classes with Pass/Fail/Honors too.

Right now the students in our class have volunteered to be note takings (and getting paid $25/hr). The cost was $30 for this semester for science courses only but next semester is $50 since the load will be increased

Some classes are, some aren't. To check they take random attendance checks

The teachers are very approachable and always willing to help out the students

We have peer mentors (D3s)

For the class of 2011, the pass rate was 99.9875%, unsure about the avg score but it has been the highest in the past 40 years.

At the end of D2, beginning of D3

The upperclassmen said you get about 2-3 weeks to study for Part 1

There is the dental library and undergrad library. Some study in the anatomy lab rooms or in the lecture halls. There are study rooms all over campus.

From what I've heard from upperclassmen, yes its easy to fulfill the requirements

From upperclassmen: it's not a hassle, we have at least 8 clinic floors

Can't help you here..

Can't help you here..

Yes but I don't know the details

Can't help you here..

The university would like professional attire: dress shirt and tie or scrubs but not everyone follows this in D1 and D2. It is more strictly enforced D3 and D4 since we are in clinic.

1) Name of Your Dental School: MUSC

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? Several every week

3) What is the hardest class? Why? everyone has their own view of which class is hardest. Anatomy is challenging because it is so fast paced and you are just figuring out how to really study for dental school

4) What is the easiest class? Why? Pre-occlusion because Dr. McGill is super nice and the majority of the class is spent in the wet lab

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? everyone tries to help everybody out. We have a google docs page where we share our notes and we often email each other helpful websites

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? both every class and every professor is different

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones? no

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? 95-100 is a 4.0 and then every number grade you drop down is a point you drop down in the GPA scale. 85 = 3.0

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? most basic sciences lectures are recorded on tegrity and are avaliable online. Most of the dental classes the professors give you a printed out summary of the lecture but use tegrity

10) Is class attendance mandatory? yes

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? All of the teachers are very reachable by the end of the 2nd class they usually know everyone by name

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you? First years are paired with 3rd years in the clinics and you will assist your 3rd year about twice aweek i the clinics until they graduate

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? second

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? usually done in the summer

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? A lot of people study in the library but not everyone. Since all the college of MUSC use the same library it can be hard to find spaces to study especially during finals

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? the dental clinic is always full of patients I have never heard anyone complain about a lack of patients

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? The new dental clinic at MUSC is huge! There are plenty of chairs and most of the time the schedulers already assign you a chair depending on what clinic you are working in that day.

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? the requirements vary but they are very easy to attain

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? yes some are in North Charleston at free clincs others are in Greenville at Greenville Tech

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long? There are plenty of mission trips the school organizes to help underserved countries. Those are usually around a week long. MUSC was also involved in Dental Days which was a weekend long free dental clinic put on by South Carolina Dental Assoication

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? Yes there are tons of lectures every month on how to manage you practice

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Some what professional attire when not in scrubs. By the 3rd and 4th years you wear scrubs everyday.

1)Name of Your Dental School
Griffith Uni- Gold Coast, Australia

Midterms and finals, with only a couple of classes having assessments inbetween these periods
Personally Clinical Dental Practice, because of the practical aspects of it
Head and neck anatomy and of course psychology
Generally notes get drifted around the grade and filters down from the grades above…depends on who you know or live with I guess
Lecture powerpoints, with obvious high distinction students reading extra material from the textbook
Yes. Head and neck anatomy and physiology, pharmacology and cells,tissues and regulation
Pass, Fail, Credit, Distinction and High Distinction..we have a GPA where pass is a 4, credit a 5,distinction a 6 and a High D a 7...fail is 3
Yes. Also lecture available on net
No. Just simulation labs and clinical labs
Easy to contact
No
50%...average scores range from around 55-75…pass to distinctions
Dont think we have one…Australia is a bit different
Yes…1 week of study week for most end of semester exam periods
Just random …sometimes a lot of people are in the library and sometimes theres no one

Generally easy, because we a govt. scheme where lower socio economic peoples get benefits and discounts for coming to us + less waiting. Also we have a quota to fill e.g 8 class IV in semester so if one person is still yet to fill quota you will get preferences

No each team of 2 have their own chairs, however grades are getting bigger and bigger with room in clinic obviously becoming smaller.
Need to fill quotas…if behind in quotas you will get preference or time to do other peoples.
Yes, but only during the time period (2week period) allocated for clinical rotations
Not really, however more importance is being aimed at the oral health of aboriginals
Classes like health, law and ethics and business management help for practice management. Placement oppurtunities are quite easy, because there is only on dental school on the gold coast

At sim labs, black shoes, formal pants and collered shirt with scrubs…in clinic same, but scrub cannot be unbuttoned and must be cleaned and ironed…mainly for 2nd years up to 5th