2009-2010 NEOUCOM Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.
Note: 4000 character limit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got secondary this morning!

Members don't see this ad :)
....me too. Does anyone know if they are selective in sending their secondary apps or no? Does everyone who selected NEOUCOM on AMCAS get one from them?:rolleyes:

....me too. Does anyone know if they are selective in sending their secondary apps or no? Does everyone who selected NEOUCOM on AMCAS get one from them?:rolleyes:

Not sure but they love ohio residents

I'm having trouble getting to the application fee page. Anyone else?

I'm having trouble getting to the application fee page. Anyone else?

This is the next email I received from them....:

"Hello! We have been notified that there is currently a glitch with our supplemental application causing it to not load some pages within the application itself. Our IT department has been notified and this should be resolved in the near future. I will contact you again once the application glitch has been resolved.

Thanks for your patience with this matter!"

Could be your problem.

Theres what, around 20 spots for us?

lol... tried to submit but I received a payment error...

Doesn't this school have quality control for these things? :p

--edit--

Just saw the email and SDN error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there discussion for students that applied for adavance standing at NEOUCOM?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone finding this essay so hard to write? It's so general and long like the PS.

Is anyone finding this essay so hard to write? It's so general and long like the PS.

To be honest, my NEOUCOM essay lacks a lot of focus and instead has a lot of mixed and matched personal experiences to try and encompass what I thought NEOUCOM was looking for.

I'll be very surprised to get an interview.

haha yep I just reread mine from when I turned it in last week and it sucks. let's just hope being an ohio resident gives me an interview spot.

Theres what, around 20 spots for us?

There are ~20 spots. It varies year to year depending on how many BS/MD students drop out of the program, decide to take a third year, etc. They interview about 140 people for those spots. Most people are waitlisted after their interview, but that's not a bad place to be at NEOUCOM.

Good luck!

anyone ever get a complete email from here?

Did your essays end up being around one paragraph? The character limit just kills me, i can't find a way to say all of what i want to say without exceeding the limit.

Have a question about the Ohio Residency Question, where they ask you for two places where you were physically from 2007-2009:
I live at home or in college dorms. So what address do I put for the dorms since there have been 3 since 2007.

Hmmm, I never got a complete email from here. I submitted my secondary online on July 30th and my letters have been in AMCAS since early July. Should I contact them?

Last edited:
Can someone PM me the prompt so I can update it on the first post?

Could someone please tell me the topics/lengths for the secondary app essays?? Or is the only essay the one posted at the beginning of this forum with the 4000 character limit??

Thanx!

Could someone please tell me the topics/lengths for the secondary app essays?? Or is the only essay the one posted at the beginning of this forum with the 4000 character limit??

Thanx!

The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.
Note: 4000 character limit.

This is the only one I think.

That's strange, my application says:

"The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student's status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.

Space for this answer is limited to 1350 characters with spaces. "

..i only have 1350 characters?

Secondly, what are you all putting down for housing? Commute, residence hall or other? I haven't visited the campus so i'm unsure.

That's strange, my application says:

"The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student's status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession.

Space for this answer is limited to 1350 characters with spaces. "

..i only have 1350 characters?

Secondly, what are you all putting down for housing? Commute, residence hall or other? I haven't visited the campus so i'm unsure.

There are no residence halls at NEOUCOM. Everyone commutes to some extent.

I live in the midwest and have already completed all secondaries for various schools in the area. I haven't applied here yet, but I recently received an email which contained this statement:
"We invite you to visit our Rootstown, Ohio, campus. At NEOUCOM, we will arrange a visit with an admissions representative and a tour with a current medical student (when available). We are available for appointments weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m."
Do you think this is worthy of looking into? Will I actually get, what I would like to call, a 'pre-interview' meeting?

Anyone heard anything from this school post-completion?

I haven't recieved a notice either way (completed 7/28) But just to enrage you I go to Kent State so a lot of their highschool kids come here for 2 years so I've met a lot of them. apparently all they need is a 24 on the mcat to stay accepted.

Anyone heard anything from this school post-completion?

I received my invite last year around the first-second week of October and interviewed on their first date, which was in late October. They start so late because they only interview ~150 applicants. Be patient.

I haven't recieved a notice either way (completed 7/28) But just to enrage you I go to Kent State so a lot of their highschool kids come here for 2 years so I've met a lot of them. apparently all they need is a 24 on the mcat to stay accepted.

Yes, KSU is one of their consortium schools and yes, the BS/MDs need a minimum 24 (8-8-8) to stay in the program. Coming from another of the consortium schools, I used to think this was outrageously unfair; however, they DO finish four years of school +take the MCAT in two years. And trust me, the ones who actually make it to NEOUCOM (A LOT don't)deserve to be there.

invited for the 12th of november. anyone else?

Yep me too! I'm assuming that's their first date?

Congrats! When did you guys get the complete email? I guess I didn't get mine until the middle of September but I was hoping to get a feel for their timing at this plave?

Congrats! When did you guys get the complete email? I guess I didn't get mine until the middle of September but I was hoping to get a feel for their timing at this plave?

Complete 8/10

i got an invite for the secondary but cant log in with my SSN and amcas ID? anyone know whats up ? or am i doing something wrong

I am currently an M1 at NEOUCOM. If any of you have any questions about the application process or the school in general, don't hesitate to ask.

Anyone who is going through interviews right now, good luck and do not be disappointed if you get waitlisted. 99% of you probably will, NEOUCOM's waitlist is a good place to be on. They divide the list into three parts
High Middle and Low. Once you get waitlisted, they will inform you about your rank in March - April. Last year, they went through the High and Middle portions completely.

The number of spots depends on how many BS MD students make it through. Last year we had almost 50 to 60 direct entry, but on average it is usually only 30 spots or so.

But yeah, any questions let me know. I went through the process last year,hopefully I can help.

I have an interview Dec 10... Anyone have any random advice or tips?

Has anyone been invited for an interview lately?

I received my rejection email on March 17th, pre-interview. Seemed like a very quiet app cycle, considering this thread didn't even make it past one page.

I got a letter today stating that I am in the middle third of the alternate list. It said that they'll call ASAP if a vacancy becomes available but they don't expect major movement on the alternate list until June or July

Status
Not open for further replies.