2010-2011 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Please indicate your activities for the 2010-2011 year. If you are in school, please list your courses. If you are working, please describe your job, including duties and responsibilities.

Describe the personal characteristics and values (e.g., work ethic, integrity, leadership) that make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will Alpert Medical School nurture these attributes and foster your development in becoming an outstanding physician?

6500 character limit for each

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet....First person to write on this post. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok...3.5gpa, 33L mcat, creative writing major. Research internship at harvard, worked as an orderly in a surgical wing, good but not great extracurriculars...

Do I have any shot at Brown?

I would say you definitely have a shot a brown. Impress at the interview, though.

How many non-BS/MD combined degree students does Brown accept in its class?

Ok...3.5gpa, 33L mcat, creative writing major. Research internship at harvard, worked as an orderly in a surgical wing, good but not great extracurriculars...

I have a 3.6
33Q
Comp Sci Major
and im shooting for it, you never know man... go for it!

Brown is big in the extracurriculars and your stats are a bit low for Brown. Also remember, that Brown only takes about 50 students non PMLE.

Sorry, but I think Brown is a reach for you...

Talking about Brown, just got the secondary...

Can someone who got the secondary already post the questions, please? :oops:

Please indicate your activities for the 2010-2011 year. If you are in school, please list your courses. If you are working, please describe your job, including duties and responsibilities.

Describe the personal characteristics and values (e.g., work ethic, integrity, leadership) that make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will Alpert Medical School nurture these attributes and foster your development in becoming an outstanding physician?

should we just list all the courses we will be taking for the 2010-2011 school year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even approaching the 6500 character limit on the first question (description of my job)...are you guys? I wonder why it's so long.

I'm glad they got rid of the "Imagine it's the year 2030 question"

I just submitted my secondary. Now, let's see what happens.

I had over 2300 characters left on my essay. You don't want to make it too long. It will be boring.

Does anyone else feel like the question is basically a restatement of their personal statement?

Did anyone receive the view-book yet?

Like, a hard copy? Isn't there a pdf version on the site?

Oh I didn't know there was a pdf for it on the website. But in the email I received it said "Soon you will receive a letter and viewbook in the mail inviting you to fill out our online secondary application." No big deal, just wondering if anyone has received it.

Planning to submit the 2ndary today. :). Read it enough times that it's become nauseating at this point.

Does anyone else feel like the question is basically a restatement of their personal statement?

Not really. It came out very different from my PS. My PS was more biographical-sounding. This is more resume-sounding.

Bummer. Didn't read the part where you have to forward them your fee waiver before you can submit 2ndary. Now I'll have to wait a few more days to submit, even though it's all complete. Unless I'm willing to fork out $95, which I'm not even though Brown is my #1 choice - ish.

I just submitted my secondary. Now, let's see what happens.

I had over 2300 characters left on my essay. You don't want to make it too long. It will be boring.

I only had 500 chars left. They're going to fall into a deep coma by the time they finish my essay. LOL

On the other hand I only used about 2000 chars (out of 5000?) on the 1st essay. Maybe that sort of makes up for it.

Hey guy... My AMCAS app was just verified on Tuesday and haven't heard from Brown yet. About how long did it take to receive yours in an email?

Hey guy... My AMCAS app was just verified on Tuesday and haven't heard from Brown yet. About how long did it take to receive yours in an email?

Mine was verified 06/04. And I received it 07/02. I would give it a few days. If you haven't already written your responses, that will take you a while.

Does receiving that email about the status check portal mean they're starting to review my application now? Yikes!

Does receiving that email about the status check portal mean they're starting to review my application now? Yikes!

Why "Yikes!"? I would be excited. I would LOVE to go here. I can't wait for them to review my app (just submitted 2 days ago). I think the school is a great fit for me. Too bad there aren't that many spots.

Anyone know approx'ly when they start sending invites?

This school is really high on my list. I poured my heart into writing a good response. Keeping my fingers crossed that they like me back. They did for UG... and hopefully they won't hold it against me that I didn't end up matriculating there.

Anyone know approx'ly when they start sending invites?

This school is really high on my list. I poured my heart into writing a good response. Keeping my fingers crossed that they like me back. They did for UG... and hopefully they won't hold it against me that I didn't end up matriculating there.

Best of luck, Bulldog. I have some good news for you, and some bad news: last year, "5902 applied, 209 interviewed, 190 were accepted, 94 enrolled." That tells us that getting an interview is practically impossible, but an interview is essentially an acceptance.

I'm guessing that the 19 people who were interviewed but not accepted were very smart and had off-the-charts stats, but were unbearably eccentric.

Thats crazy 6000 down to 200. I guess that means we're going to have to wait awhile to hear back. Waiting is so hard =(

Best of luck, Bulldog. I have some good news for you, and some bad news: last year, "5902 applied, 209 interviewed, 190 were accepted, 94 enrolled." That tells us that getting an interview is practically impossible, but an interview is essentially an acceptance.

I'm guessing that the 19 people who were interviewed but not accepted were very smart and had off-the-charts stats, but were unbearably eccentric.

Wow :eek:, they really know what they want. I'm impressed. The secondary essays and lor's must be very very important here.

Good luck everybody! :luck::luck::luck:

That makes sense why their 2ndary is one of the most involved among all the schools... because they want to know as much about you as possible before inviting you for an interview, which is practically an acceptance.

So it's about 1 out 28 students get interview. Hm... in the slim chance that I do get an interview there... I'll be SOOO excited.

"Thank you for submitting your secondary application for admission to The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.

We are currently receiving a large volume of applications. Please expect a processing time of 2-3 weeks. After your application is processed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to activate your Brown account."

Has anyone received this?

I was looking at last year's thread and saw that someone submitted 08/06 (he/she didn't know when it was "complete") and got an invite 08/18. That's pretty quick.

should we just list all the courses we will be taking for the 2010-2011 school year?

I have the same question ... on other secondaries, I took this question literally and just listed my courses for the school year. Now I'm getting a queasy feeling that I was actually supposed to do some sort of narrative about all my extracurriculars and whatnot...

I have the same question ... on other secondaries, I took this question literally and just listed my courses for the school year. Now I'm getting a queasy feeling that I was actually supposed to do some sort of narrative about all my extracurriculars and whatnot...

Yeah.. me too.. I haven't submitted yet, but this question is actually the only thing holding me back because I'm not sure if they are expecting something other than my list of classes. I'm assuming the generous character limit is more for people who won't be in school during the app cycle? :confused:

Yeah.. me too.. I haven't submitted yet, but this question is actually the only thing holding me back because I'm not sure if they are expecting something other than my list of classes. I'm assuming the generous character limit is more for people who won't be in school during the app cycle? :confused:

I was going "WAH...?" when I saw this post but I then remember how their first question also asks about your classes if you're a current student. I would imagine that could be tough. The essay is actually much easier for non-traditional applicant.

Hey guys,

I submitted my secondary app today, and when I tried to view it as a PDF, I noticed that my response for the second question appeared to be cut off toward the end--is this normal? I was able to view my whole response when I viewed it as an HTML document, but not as a PDF... I hope that the adcom will still be able to view my whole response, as I was still under the character limit..

Thanks a lot!

Interview invite this morning at 10:53!

Stats: 31R MCAT, 3.85 GPA, Ivy League

Hey guys,

I submitted my secondary app today, and when I tried to view it as a PDF, I noticed that my response for the second question appeared to be cut off toward the end--is this normal? I was able to view my whole response when I viewed it as an HTML document, but not as a PDF... I hope that the adcom will still be able to view my whole response, as I was still under the character limit..

Thanks a lot!

i had this problem, too. I wasn't quite sure what to do about it, but I ended up deciding to edit part of my essay anyways which prevented it from getting cut off. Sorry i have no real answer for you- just wanted to let you know that I encountered the problem, too!

congrats!!! *curses at her school's committee for taking so long to send the letter*

have any of your guys gotten the second email with the login info? I submitted 7/27, two weeks ago, and still haven't gotten the second email. How long did it take you guys to hear anything?

BTW congrats on the interview!!

Woot congratulations! Did you receive an email telling you your status changed?

yeah, i called the technical support people about the PDF viewing issue, and they said it's common if you're close to the character limit.

congrats on those who are getting interviews! Brown's a pipe dream for me, but i can always hope..

WOW!!! Congrats. You must be so excited to receive a "near-acceptance."

I submitted secondary 07/19 and still haven't gotten the "complete" e-mail. When did you submit?

Interview invited yesterday.
Submitted secondary on 7/27!
Gluck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.