2010-2011 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

All essays have a 200 word limit

1. If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application.

2. Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts and what town you consider "home".

3. What are your future medical career plans? Please describe your hopes for your chosen medical specialty, type of practice, and size/type of practice community.

4. What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option?

5. What book did you most enjoy over the past 5 years, and why?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
woosta in the hizzouse! though the location is definitely not ideal, the cost of living is inexpensive, only an hour-ish from boston, and the facilities are pristine!

The best part about this school is its wicked close proximity to Regatta. I used to get one of those subs almost every day in the summer growing up.....mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the secondary? I'm typing everything in like they tell you to but it keeps telling me it's wrong anyway :(

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the secondary? I'm typing everything in like they tell you to but it keeps telling me it's wrong anyway :(

Yeah same here. I definitely tried at least 4 times and they said you get locked out after 5 tries so I guess I'll call them if I can't get in tomorrow.

Yeah same here. I definitely tried at least 4 times and they said you get locked out after 5 tries so I guess I'll call them if I can't get in tomorrow.

I'm assuming it's just a server issue or something - we all just tried to log in as soon as we got the email!

UMMS e-mailed to let us know they are experiencing a technical difficulty -- wait for a second e-mail to let us know that we can access the secondary!

Did you notice how all of our e-mail addresses were not blind carbon copy? That's a major privacy issue...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Applicants to UMASS Medical School-School of Medicine:

You recently received an email providing you with instructions to access the UMMS Self-Service Student Administration System (PeopleSoft Campus Solutions).

Unfortunately, there have been technical difficulties.

As a result, you will be receiving a new ‘official' email shortly stating you can try again to access the system.

Please do not try to login until you receive the official email.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

nice we all have EVERY SINGLE APPLICANT'S email addresses :laugh:

yeah that kind of made me a little peeved.....

nice we all have EVERY SINGLE APPLICANT'S email addresses :laugh:

seriously, and with a little effort you could probably figure out some people's log in and initial password and start submitting things for them. yikes.

ps. whoever had the email @luckydogtennis.com made me lol.

remedy the situation with auto-interviews, umass!! :laugh:

seriously, and with a little effort you could probably figure out some people's log in and initial password and start submitting things for them. yikes.

ps. whoever had the email @luckydogtennis.com made me lol.

Agreed. That e-mail address made me laugh too.

I just received the second e-mail that UMASS asked us to wait for notifying us that the application server has been fixed. Still not working, though. Hot mess.

I got it to work but I'm having trouble saving things...

Could someone post the link to the PeopleSoft portal/secondary???

Thanks

Completed and verified today (i.e. it was greyed out). Yay. SOO gonna get wasted tonight. ^_^.

At the risk of sounding like an unbelievable airhead... how do you submit this app??

At the risk of sounding like an unbelievable airhead... how do you submit this app??

haha you do not "submit" the application. rather, you can continue to edit the content until your payment has been received by the office, at which point your application is locked. so make sure you don't submit your check just to get the payment processed unless you're satisfied with your application!

good luck!

haha you do not "submit" the application. rather, you can continue to edit the content until your payment has been received by the office, at which point your application is locked. so make sure you don't submit your check just to get the payment processed unless you're satisfied with your application!

good luck!

Oh, yikes! looks like somebody's gotta finish it tonight.

Receipt of check does not act as "submission." EVERYTHING in your app have to be absolutely complete for it to be verified and greyed out. I know because I called them and asked why it wasn't greyed out yet and they said I didn't indicate "MA" when I listed my parents' address. I made that ONE edit and it was complete.

Um... are you kidding me?! They were going to delay my verification for something so small?

Last edited:
Receipt of check does not act as "submission." EVERYTHING in your app have to be absolutely complete for it to be verified and greyed out. I know because I called them and say why it wasn't greyed out yet and they said I didn't indicate MA when I listed my parents' address. I made that ONE edit and it was complete.

Um... are you kidding me?!

Whoop my bad, I was going off what people concluded on last year's UMASS thread. I'm guessing all of them had already finished their apps by the time they paid, and that's how they reached that conclusion.

Whoop my bad, I was going off what people concluded on last year's UMASS thread. I'm guessing all of them had already finished their apps by the time they paid, and that's how they reached that conclusion.
I think you were correct. I got a VM from the admissions office saying they recieved my check but couldn't compelete my ap because a question was blank still. So if your application has something entered for all the required fields they will mark it complete when they get your check.

From reading last year's thread, it seems that those who got interviewed really early (09/15 ish) had a REALLY high success rate. They were accepted at the earliest batch possible or eventually accepted. Does anyone see evidence to the contrary?

Should I get an interview early, I want to know whether that is a somewhat reliable measure of how strong my candidacy is.

Could someone post the questions/word limits in the secondary app? Thanks!

Could someone post the questions/word limits in the secondary app? Thanks!

It's the same as last year's. Go check out last year's thread. All responses must be under 200 words.

Anyone else DYING to hear back from Umass about an interview? They interview over half the applicants... so it's more a question of when.

Looking over last year's thread, it seems the earliest invite is in mid-Aug for non ED applicants.

hi everyone! i will be a first year at UMMS this august and wanted to wish everyone the best of luck on their application!!! it is a LONG waiting process at UMass, but it's worth it. it's a dream school for many (including mine), and i hope you all get admitted!

hi everyone! i will be a first year at UMMS this august and wanted to wish everyone the best of luck on their application!!! it is a LONG waiting process at UMass, but it's worth it. it's a dream school for many (including mine), and i hope you all get admitted!

Hi anna01106. Please keep us posted when you start the school year...

I saw that the earliest invites were sent out 08/13 last year, which is a Thurs. That would correspond to 08/12 this year... which is in 5 days!!! Don't want to get my hopes too high... but that would be amazing if I got an invite this early!

This thread is so quiet this year... are people less excited about getting into Umass this year than last?

Hi anna01106. Please keep us posted when you start the school year...

I saw that the earliest invites were sent out 08/13 last year, which is a Thurs. That would correspond to 08/12 this year... which is in 5 days!!! Don't want to get my hopes too high... but that would be amazing if I got an invite this early!

This thread is so quiet this year... are people less excited about getting into Umass this year than last?

So maybe some people will hear something this week!

I have a question for past applicants or current non-trad applicants.

For some reason, I totally missed this statement on the page where we list our classes: " If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please send a curriculum vitae or resume. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college. "

However, I felt that the activities section on my AMCAS perfectly suffice to fill them in on what I have been doing after graduation. Sending a CV/resume will just be redundant... in fact, I think I copy and pasted my CV directly onto the Activities section.

The one thing that does warrant a little description is taking one semester off during my senior year. I have already sent them a document doing this... but in a paragraph, straight-forwarding explanation, rather than a resume.

Anyone in a similar situation? How are you dealing with it?

I have a question for past applicants or current non-trad applicants.

For some reason, I totally missed this statement on the page where we list our classes: " If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please send a curriculum vitae or resume. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college. "

However, I felt that the activities section on my AMCAS perfectly suffice to fill them in on what I have been doing after graduation. Sending a CV/resume will just be redundant... in fact, I think I copy and pasted my CV directly onto the Activities section.

The one thing that does warrant a little description is taking one semester off during my senior year. I have already sent them a document doing this... but in a paragraph, straight-forwarding explanation, rather than a resume.

Anyone in a similar situation? How are you dealing with it?

Yeah, I am taking the year off and didn't feel the need to send them my whole resume to explain one work position so I just did what you did and emailed them a description (the one I used for other schools) and they seemed fine with it.

Yeah, I am taking the year off and didn't feel the need to send them my whole resume to explain one work position so I just did what you did and emailed them a description (the one I used for other schools) and they seemed fine with it.

Thanks. I feel much better.

Though I wonder if my app has been put on hold all these times (despite being completed 07/14) because they were waiting for this document. :(

I guess I'll find out when invites come out this week.

Interview! First one and it feels soooo good :)

complete sometime around 8/7
interview 9/14

34/3.8

interview invite for me too! I finished the app a few weeks after it came out but not sure when I was marked complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.