Does anyone know the % of the healthcare budget made up by physician salaries?

Started by thesauce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thesauce

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I tried to find this information for a presentation. I have heard 2% on SDN, 15-20% in a JAMA letter to the editor, and 50% from my coworker. Does anyone have a reliable source that gives this information?

-Guy
 
We bill around 40% of the costs however the salaries themselves only consist of around 15-20%. Everything else goes to lab techs radiology techs nursing staff office staff overhead....etc
 
it's about 15% of the total. I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a reliable source, I believe. I'd go with JAMA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Physicians salaries is an insignificant part of healthcare cost. In fact, any other industry you pick will surrender almost 60% of it total cost to the human resources running that industry.
 
Hey guys,

I tried to find this information for a presentation. I have heard 2% on SDN, 15-20% in a JAMA letter to the editor, and 50% from my coworker. Does anyone have a reliable source that gives this information?

-Guy

Interesting you brought this up, as I just read statistics on this yesterday. According to Robert Lowes, Medical Economics' senior editor, out of a $100 bill, an average of 41% goes to a physician's paycheck. Factor in insurance's contribution to the overall cost of care for a procedure, and the physician's proportion becomes lower than 41%, depending on the coverage, so the above percentages do not sound unreasonable.
 
Last edited:
We bill around 40% of the costs however the salaries themselves only consist of around 15-20%. Everything else goes to lab techs radiology techs nursing staff office staff overhead....etc

Sounds about right, and I'd go with JAMA's 15% overall.
 
Only medicare/medicaid reimbursement would come out of the budget. Everything else would come from the private sector. If a physician didn't accept m/m wouldn't 0% come from the nation's health care budget?
 
1999 NEJM article shows about 20% or 200 billion of the 1 trillion dollars spent on healthcare in this country over the 1990s with that fraction remaining fairly consistant as projected into the 2000s -- too bad I don't have a newer article.

"The American Healthcare System" Jan 7 1999, JK IGLEHART.
 
Physicians salaries is an insignificant part of healthcare cost. In fact, any other industry you pick will surrender almost 60% of it total cost to the human resources running that industry.

Because nurses, rad techs, janitors, etc aren't actually people?
 
it's about 15% of the total. I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a reliable source, I believe. I'd go with JAMA.

We actually just had an MD/PHD talk to us about this the other day and he also cited the 15% JAMA number. But he also said that about 50% of that 15% went directly into physician overhead.

So, take home money for physicians (after overhead) is 7.5%, he said.