Categorical (i.e. from PGY1) Rad Onc Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AusMedStudent

Aussie Med Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has made a thread about this yet but anyone want to list all the programs who are offering categorical rad onc positions?

So far, I know of:

*Beaumont
*Emory
*Penn
*Cleveland Clinic
*Med College of Wisconsin
*Kentucky

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone explain "Categorical pgy1" positions and how they differ from others?

Categorical = Your intern year is included at the same institution where you will do your RadOnc residency (5 years total); You match into both simultaneously, you don't have to rank the intern year separately

Advanced (most programs) = You set up your intern year by yourself, it can be anywhere in the country where you Match

As to the OP's request, Michigan is also an integrated program as is Buffalo, though the latter is optional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beaumont
Emory
Penn
Cleveland Clinic
Med College of Wisconsin
Kentucky
Michigan
Wisconsin (partially)
MDACC (optional)
Buffalo

Radiodog, what do you mean partially categorical for Wisconsin? And optional for MDACC - is that like, ye, we'll offer you a position if you want but feel free to do it elsewhere?

Also, excuse my ignorance because I'm not applying this year, but do you apply for the advanced positions during your PGY-1 year or at the same time as you apply for the categorical positions?

Radiodog, what do you mean partially categorical for Wisconsin? And optional for MDACC - is that like, ye, we'll offer you a position if you want but feel free to do it elsewhere?

Also, excuse my ignorance because I'm not applying this year, but do you apply for the advanced positions during your PGY-1 year or at the same time as you apply for the categorical positions?

You are right, at some programs you have an option which is nice. You apply to all 4 and 5 year programs at the same time. So you apply for advanced programs as a senior in medical school.

It is possible to get a position during your pgy1 year if you did not match or want to transfer but thats a whole different story.

You are right, at some programs you have an option which is nice. You apply to all 4 and 5 year programs at the same time. So you apply for advanced programs as a senior in medical school.

It is possible to get a position during your pgy1 year if you did not match or want to transfer but thats a whole different story.

Ah I see i c - so there is basically no added attraction to a categorical position in rad onc...u still find out if you're going there in your second year at the end of med school...awesome!

thanks radiodog

You can add Mayo Jax to the list. If you get in to the radonc program, you're guaranteed a spot in their TY program (if you want it).

note 'catagorical" radonc only means you MUST do internship there. it doesnt mean you dont have to do a med or surg internship. its not the best program.

I just interviewed at MCW, and they are no longer categorical. An "oncology focused" medicine prelim year still exists at MCW, but you must apply to it separately and interview for it separately.

Some of my esteemed (and more informed) interviewing colleagues were able to set up the prelim interview in the afternoon of their Rad Onc interview day.

--------------------

Beaumont
Emory
Penn
Cleveland Clinic
Kentucky
Michigan
Wisconsin (partially)
MDACC (optional)
Buffalo

Beaumont
Emory